Why I Left Buzzfeed

Why I Left Buzzfeed

I think almost everyone knows of Buzzfeed either because they've been spammed to death with their online content/ads or they've consciously seen Buzzfeed videos online via YouTube. Most people either really love Buzzfeed or they really hate it. Let's be frank, it's the ultimate clickbait. They tell you that. It's designed, nay, engineered to get you to watch, because when you watch, they make money, so they put out a ton of content even if the creators themselves admit it's pointless dribble, hoping one thing hits, and thus their channel, or channelzzzzz were born.

Now recently, there have been quite a few long time Buzzfeed employees whom avid watchers have come to know and love, deciding to leave the place, and in order to inform the world that they've quit, they immediately post up a video entitled "Why I Left/Quit Buzzfeed," to tell everyone they no longer work there and simultaneously invite you to now subscribe to their new channel on Youtube...you know, not leaving for say a job in teaching or anything, nope, just a new job on the free web.

Why I Left Buzzfeed

Here's the thing though...uh, why is this an actual deal of any some sort? How many people leave a job in their lives? Tons. Like everyday. Like every hour, someone is like F this place, I'm out. However, it seems if you are a Buzzfeed employee it's always made out to be insanely dramatic, like, my God, I left because I just couldn't do exactly what I wanted to do at my job where someone was paying me to do exactly what they wanted me to do. Um, ahahahahahahaha! You've just described every job where one is not self-employed.

Youtuber PewdiePie and I both agree...all the whining about not being able to create the personal content you want while working for another company is ridiculous. This is literally in the contracts of just about every business where creation of content from scientific, to educational, to creative exists. What part of you work for someone, don't these people understand? They aren't paying you to make money creating what you want, when you want it, on your own time.

Why I Left Buzzfeed

I've also talked about this before that if you work for any company with a morality clause, they even essentially "own you" on your free time. When you go get drunk and crash your car killing someone's dog, and it ends up in the news, even though you were clearly not at work, they own you, and your image, and you represent them, and when you F-up, they can fire you just like that. I mean, these are the choices, and let's not mince words here...these are the choices you make to work for a company or individual and if you don't like what they are doing, or you want to be free to do your own thing, just do it #Nike. I don't need someone to proclaim from the mountain top that they figured out how to quit their job. It's not hard. You just say, I quit, fill out the paperwork and leave, or you "Office Space," the place, and then go. This was literally the longest rantingest way to tell people who will never read this, that nobody f---king cares.

711

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• If nobody cared, then how come these "Why I quit buzzfeed" videos get millions of views?
    As much as I hate buzzfeed at times, there are a select few people and shows on there that I do enjoy. So I mainly focus on those.
    I think it's interesting because to a lot of people, Buzzfeed seems like the best place to work at. You get to be creative and do what you like, you find new friends and you might end up becoming semi youtube famous or something. It comes across as a sweet deal to most people who don't understand how Buzzfeed works, and these "Why I quit Buzzfeed" are actually quite informative in that sense. I never really found them as rant-y, as much as I just found them to be educational, and sort of like they're unveiling this facade that Buzzfeed (and the employees) have put up.
    I have watched a handful of such videos and I only really found one of them annoying, and that was because the girl clearly stated that she didn't even bother to read through the full contract and was then surprised by what was going on behind the scenes. That's totally dumb.
    But for the other people it seems like they were fine with the way Buzzfeed worked at first and enjoyed being able to access professional equipment, and to be able to create things with other creative people. It just seemed that in the end, they wanted to do something different with their careers so they decided to quit. Or they didn't enjoy how unstable Buzzfeed really is considering that they keep rotating their employees' work tasks randomly, and they don't seem to have any long-term contracts for the less famous ones. Which I think are perfectly valid reasons to want to quit.
    TL;DR the way I've interpreted most of those videos have not been as long and aggressive rants, but more so like educational videos on how Buzzfeed works and what you may want to think about if you're considering sending in a job application.

Also as a side note, if you don't care about people quitting their jobs and you find it to be a mundane thing, then you do realize that you don't have to watch such videos, right? :D

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 10

• Sigh. I was hoping you would state that you quit Buzzfeed because you were disgusted with its Leftist and leftover communist propaganda.

But at least you are getting the idea that something is terribly wrong with it.

• By reading the title, I assumed that a miracle happened: Kek himself descended from the sky and granted them a functioning brain.

Started reading and got disappointed that not only that's not the case, but that they also degenerated further;
    They literally started bitching about being told what to do for what they get paid for.

• The sad thing is that there's people that actually cared :/

Buzzfeed is trash anyways. The only good thing about them is their food content, but that's it. When they try getting political, they ruin their whole image. That's why I stopped watching their content (except the food one) because their views are fucking retarded, and they're racist and sexist, so I'm not into people trying to brainwash me. That brainwashing is what gets people to care about why some leave Buzzfeed.

• Because they are Buzzfeed employees... they wouldn't have gotten the job in the first place if they weren't little dramatic shits.

• Ugh even on GaG I can't escape buzzfeed and it's cancerous content /=

• Although the poet Stevie Smith had a childhood that was far from idyllic, she always envied children, believing they alone had the ideal life

• They're just doing it to get views for their new channel.

Buzzfeed for whatever reason is really popular so all their obnoxious, SJW fans will watch and be like "omg why would you leave Buzzfeed, it seems like an amazing and progressive place to work?"
    So making a video about why they left will actually attract a fair ammount of views and benefit their new channel. Strategically it makes sense for them and they worked for Buzzfeed, so if they learned anything, its how to create clickbait titles and generate drama/controversy out of mundane things.

For the average person who works an office job and leaves to find something with more freedom it doesn't really benefit them to post a public video explaining why they made that choice. No one would give a fuck and it wouldn't help them with their transition.

• I guess the only plot hole would be without the support and machine that is Buzzfeed behind them, they are forced to come up with truly original content or essentially suffer an internet death b/c you can't blame them for anything, because when you leave it's all on them.

• To think that I can't even escape them on here

• i never really liked their content

• Buzzfeed is low culture or popular culture. Its saddening not more people are opting out of it.

What Girls Said 6

• So basically you're a liar who likes to steal other people's content. Got it. Here's the REAL video and the REAL reasons Safyia left. https://youtu.be/5aiRY5EwqPA

• 1. What content have I stolen? Please, highlight it anywhere in this take. I welcome you to call me out if you have even a shred of something I've stolen.
      2. Why am I a liar? I have not mentioned any particular member by name at Buzzfeed that left. I am speaking of the dozen or so that have posted their videos.
      3. In this very reason, if you actually read this take, this person has done exactly what I have highlighted, which is in italics in mytake.
      4. You bad bro?

• The title is "why **i** left buzzfeed." Not "why I think people leave buzzfeed"

• ... title=title of videos. There has been no claim of ownership here. I get that you cannot understand that and it's just much too difficult for you. Somehow the world will keep turning, okay. The sun will rise tomorrow. Life will still be worth living. Thanks, k!

• Nice Take. I thought this was going to be something different when I clicked on it, but I agree with your message. I didn't know posting videos about why people left Buzzfeed was a thing (much less that a bunch of people were leaving Buzzfeed to start with) but it seems a little ridiculous. When you quit a job, it's not a good idea to act unprofessionally or in any way that makes you unrehirable. I was very unsatisfied with my last job right before I quit, but I still worked my last two weeks because I don't want to burn that bridge in case I ever decide to go back (in case they ever decide to pay me what I'm worth to them)

People don't seem to understand what a job is these days. If someone is paying you to do something, they get to choose what they do and don't want you to do, and you have to do it. If you don't want to do what your boss wants you to do or you do something else, especially if they tell you not to do whatever it is you're doing other than your job, they can fire you. Nobody is entitled to a paycheck. If you want to be paid, you have to do your job

• That's precisely it! And for these people, they have posted these "I quit" and why videos publicly for all to see, so all one has to do if ever they want to get off Youtube and do something in the industry again, is play that video and the new company might decide, you know what, why would I hire you if you're essentially not interested at all with working with or for someone else aside from yourself. This is one of the main questions asked on interviews, how well do you get along with others because most jobs involve you working with or for a team. Add to that, their reference is Buzzfeed, and even if they delete the video, the company can say if they so desire, this employee did not want to work for us but wanted to do what she or he wanted. That doesn't bode well.

• True, true, true, true, true. I honestly couldn't agree more. If their new big creative endeavors don't go so well or they realize they need more money, these videos are a serious problem no matter what field they turn to. When you apply for a new job, you have to write down your last 3 jobs, and Buzzfeed isn't going to give you a good recommendation if you publicly bash them like this

• I dont care that you hate buzzfeed. I want to know how she got her eyeliner so perfect.

• I can't stand those videos...

I've been pretty vocal about it too whenever I see one of em. Its becoming an endless bandwagon to hate on buzzfeed. Everyone knows they just want more money for their content and youtube with an intro vid like that is the way to go. Id respect it more if they just did an intro video than basically hinting that they don't wanna stand with buzzfeed so that they can get subs who don't like buzzfeed..

Its like disassociating from someone at school with a bad rep so you don't get hated on even though that person didn't do jack shit to you. Infact, those assholes would have zero career on youtube or videography skills if it weren't for the company. Everything they signed up for is not unknown, they all act they're being abused and then double speak that they still respect the company? Mmkay..

Somebody even said they made more money on buzzfeed so why would they leave for youtube? Like, i'm sorry wtf? Did you not watch their video where they said they wanted more pay for their content and more control? Yeah, youtubers are paid very well.. its really only a handful of commentary and controversial channels that are dealing with demonetization. (Which I don't agree with but some fucks on that website are finally getting karma like cuckboy)...
    yeah the buzzfeed shit is a marketing ploy by dragging your ex company through the mud, the same company that is directly helping your new career. I don't expect most people to handle that logic but fuck it, trump supporters need a scapegoat maybe? so its easy to hate em. I'm not all about buzzfeed but it is ridiculous how people make them out to be like Foxnews which is some bs.

• I left my last job to start my own company because I too wanted freedom, but whenever asked, I don't slam my old company and drag them through the mud because they gave me tons of opportunities, which I fully recognize as having helped me be where I am. A lot of the Buzzfeed videos are like, well, while I am thankful, they are also really horrible because I can't create on my own. Again, like you and I have both said, you knew this going in. No creative, scientific, medical company allows you to work under their header, and do your own thing for personal gain. You sign contracts. You know this going in. So then, don't turn it around and act all surprised that, you can't do it. That is BS, and they are ingrates for basically using Buzzfeed for a leg up, and then trashing them as soon as they are gone. And its all for views. They know typing "Buzzfeed" in the title, as sure as I knew it typing it here, would get some automatic views because it's such a giant internet company.

• Frankly I'm surprised that Buzzfeed hasn't starting putting clauses in their contracts that say you cannot speak ill of us if you choose to leave like a lot of Fortune 500's, because some people just get really bitter and want to take it out on something rather than recognize their own HUGE part in it.

• good for you

• I've never even been on there, I assumed it was where all the psychos go to.