Six reasons why you really should stop listening to music.

Six reasons to stop listening to music today.

One of the biggest forms of amusement today is no doubt entertainment and music; so for someone to come across and tell you to stop listening to music, it would surely be a major ask. However, with the following reasons at hand, you might be just convinced to finally give it up for good.

Here’s a short list we’ve compiled that should perhaps encourage you to finally stop listening to music today.

The majority of popular music is sexually illicit.

Research shows that music, specifically rap and hip-hop, have strong correlations with risky sexual behaviors

(Chen, Miller, Grube, & Waiters, 2006).

More than 1/3 of popular songs contain explicit sexual content and 2/3 of these references are degrading

(Martino et al, 2006; Primack, Gold, Schwarz, & Dalton, 2008).

An estimated 40% to 75% of music videos contain sexual imagery

(Turner, 2011; Zhang, Miller, & Harrison, 2008).

The majority of popular music includes drug references.

A study suggested that almost 77% of rap songs have drug references. An average teen is exposed to 84 drug references a day, 591 per week and 30,732 per year. (University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine researchers).

These references will no doubt impact on a person's lifestyle decisions.

Stop listening to music.

It’s addictive.

Studies suggest that adolescents and young adults listen to music between two and four hours each day. When we take this time into consideration with the extent of harmful messages being streamed, we should really be concerned.

(Agbo-Quaye & Robertson, 2010; Primack, Nuzzo, Rice, & Sargent, 2012).

It’s distracting.

A mind that is constantly distracted by such music will find it incredibly difficult to focus on worship and the Quran. This is even more frequent when songs with catchy lyrics repeatedly obscure the mind from concentration.

It’s sinful.

All Islamic scholars are of unanimous agreement that any music that invites towards sin is in itself sinful. When almost all songs that top music charts include references to sex, drugs, alcohol, and promiscuity, do we need any further reminders to avoid such music.

There are better things to listen to.

Fill your playlists with beneficial Islamic reminders and Quran recitations. If that is not enough, imagine listening to the music of Paradise produced by the Angels. This should be enough encouragement to help you make the change today.

922

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't care about any of the stuff you mentioned.
    Maybe you have a weak personality and get manipulated by listening to music. Of course as a Muslim you have no power over your impulses so you blame everything else other than your weak character... It doesn't mean that everyone is the same as you are so... No.
    Maybe you should just shut off from the world and go into a cave and listen to your verses until your time is up!

• are you mad? you are crazy and you need to see a doctor?

• Anon, if you only have bad words to say then I hope you can be at least a little considerate.
      Inshallah you will learn respect.

Most Helpful Guy

• Hmm, I dunno whether this is serious or not, so lemme just give a serious reply regardless.

First thing I thought: in this case, why are you on GAG? I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but I would argue that GAG can be more indecent/negative than most music. It can cause more of a harmful impact than music can. I've seen some pretty sexual things on here that I wouldn't hear in the average song. It just seems hypocritical to chastise music while writing it on a platform worse than object of chastisement.

Anyway, I will now respond to the Islamic perspective you take in this myTake. Note: I'm not part of Islam, and I'm certainly not an expert on it. Nevertheless, you seem to imply that Islam says to not listen to any music. I've heard of some Islamic scholars that disagree and state only some music should not be listened to (i. e. most pop music today). Some music can promote deep thinking, meditation, and etc. If that makes one grow stronger in your faith, would that not be promoted in Islam then?

Setting aside the whole Islamic side of things (since, again, I'm not Muslim), you also make a claim regarding the content of most music. You say that it has explicit things or things people shouldn't subject themselves too.

Regardless of whether this is true or not, it makes no difference. Not ALL music is bad. Likewise, a person can make choices to filter their content. Case in point in that I have heard very little rap music in my life. You can't say "don't listen to all music" when only pointing to some. Their have been TONS of people who have benefited, or perhaps even saved by music. I have a friend who had suicidal tendencies growing up and listened to Linkin Park, which connected emotionally with them and helped them to not follow through in suicide.

So why is music bad? Because it stirs and emotional connection? That also means books are bad too. Books can have sexual indecencies, stir emotions, distract, and be addictive. GAG itself is full of sexual indecencies, and it can be all the things listed. Should one not be on GAG? The internet? Should one not look at books? Is reading bad then? From my perspective, that'd be completely radical.

From a personal perspective, music has helped me out a ton. I create music and listen to it everyday. I'd almost surely be depressed at this point without it. Heck, it helped me get out of a depression. Music has helped me create more positive emotions and deal with the negative ones in a healthy way.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 8

• What about classical music?

• LMAO you are Satan and jealous of musicians, music is the most relaxing and therapeutic. The world would be a lot worse if it didn't exist anymore.

• we clearly have a different definition for the word ''Satan'' and it is exactly what made you call me such name, I hope you find the true peace and it only lies with the true God and not music.

• This is the funniest article I have ever read in my entire life!

• Umm... no.

• The wind when it blows through leaves, the sound of it, is music. Small rocks that fall to the ground, the noise they make, can sound musical. Muisc is part of nature and thus part of human beings.

Music is not distracting and it's not sinful. It is addictive because the type of music one listens to is beautiful to each individual.

It is up to parents to control their children and what type of music they listen to. Does not mean they have to avoid it completely just because one song had drug reference or something sexual.

• music feeds the soul

• I agree with this.
    and I am Muslim.

• really? so u just want to stop any sort of musical production? kill a type of art?

• please... tell me.. what in my last repply that you disagree with me... let me understand the mind of an extremist muslim

• @KnightCross I'm just saying in my opinion I disagree.
      First of all "playing online games" is a waste of time and
      Not all music is supposed to make you relax. A lot of music is actually the opposite.

• Um, Kiss My Behind... Music helps me relax, so NO NO NO!!!

What Guys Said 21

• Nope, nothing is going to take away my favorite song "Lili Marleen" from me.

• www.court-records.net/animationgk/rou-laugh(b).gif

"All Islamic scholars are of unanimous agreement that any music that invites towards sin is in itself sinful. When almost all songs that top music charts include references to sex, drugs, alcohol, and promiscuity, do we need any further reminders to avoid such music."

• Dude are you serious?

I bet you were listening to music while writing this. I mean what's better on earth than music. Regardless your islamic reason, all of the other reasons are senseless.

Music is life. When you play music to a baby, he starts dancing.

• I completely disagree.. for a variety of reasons..

First off, yes most modern day trending music is sexually related, but that doesn't't make a person's music preferences sexually related at ALL..
    It isn't a sin to listen to music, especially if it can benefit you and people around you. Music gets people to dance, smile, or even tear up.. It can get addictive, yes but that shouldn't stop the audience. It's distracting of what, a religion? I beg to differ..

And finally, good music is NOT limited to religious music or gospel worship. When I was a Christian, I still preferred classical music. Why? Because it basically sums up how I'm feeling or ties into good ol' memories, and to me, memorable, nostalgic sounds are better than anything I could ever hear.. even if it was made by a god.

• What the fuck is this shit? You're telling me to stop listening to, and creating, my beautiful music (not rap, bee tee dubs) and listen to crap from the Quran? What the sweet didilly fuck... paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaass

• I like all that stuff you mention. I like sex, drugs, and wasting time while I'm driving to work. The whole sinning thing doesn't affect me because I don't believe in that. Everyone has their own personal opinions on things but its doesn't mean that its right and that everyone should follow suit.

• You need to realize that you follow an evil ideology and cult that murders innocent people. You are a part of the global problem. Beliefs like yours, is why Muslims live in self inflicted poverty and misery. Due to widespread ignorance and adhering to spiritual teachings from a 7th century pedophile. Muslims shun progress, technology, music, art, and basically everything that is an intellectual achievement. Your foolish religion, is the embodiment of the dark ages and evil.

• Are You Against ISLAM & MUSLIMS?
      then you have to watch this video so that you can go away being enlightened.

www.facebook.com/.../

• Clearly, you don't know anything about ISLAM and you have many Misconceptions about ISLAM.

• hahahaahahahhaha

IS THIS FOR REAL? OR ARE U A MUSLIM TROLL?

• THIS IS REALITY SO ACCEPT IT AND STOP LISTENING TO MUSIC

• http://i.imgur.com/ktrWLQN.gif

@Thisdudehere I made one for mytakes now :)

• Hey what about this piano version of Linkin Park Song In The End Those this count as sinful music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW5YbFAkDRA

• you're muslim. how am i supposed to take you seriously?

• What a load of hogwash! Music IS the food of love! I'm sure there is nothing wrong with Brahms and Liszt.

If UK people get what I mean!!

• Sound like this article is related to "Why I'm a hermit"

• I gotta tell ya, bro! Those two songs you posted are as tired as it gets!

Having said that, I do have to agree with you that most of today's popular music is really crude and shallow.

However, with any form of music you have to sort through a pile of shit before you find the diamonds. FYI, this is what some of the greatest rock music ever recorded actually sounds like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2daLMSAE3cg&spfreload=10https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZK_fFtwKs0&spfreload=10https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHrc3J_aKRI&spfreload=10

• you dumb head that is not a song, it is a Quran recitation, there is no music in it.

• This is how extremests are made, people like you @somalia are the kind of people that go to syria to fight

• The definition of music: vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.

What you posted Somalia is 100% music.

• dude, literally and figuratively F-off

• You're a fucking idiot. (turns volume up)

• Next do a take "6 reasons why you're stuck in the 7th century"

• "A mind that is constantly distracted by such music will find it incredibly difficult to focus on worship and the Quran."

Yeah no. Music doesn't make it difficult, my brain does.

• Six reasons why you really start listening to music.
    The majority of popular music is sexually illicit. Wait what? We are talking about majority not 100%
    Also we don't need to understand language to enjoy music. Just take a look at Despasito. A song with 2.2B and only 500 million people understand Spanish.

Nah. I'm Eminem fan. He uses violent words but no drugs.

It’s addictive.
    Studies suggest that adolescents and young adults listen to music between two and four hours each day. Yeah I do that too. When we take this time into consideration with the extent of harmful messages being streamed, we shouldn't really be concerned bc it won't affect anything we don't keep same lyrics in mind. Nope

It’s distracting.
    Lol. Music helps you to increase concentration

It’s sinful.
    All Islamic scholars are of unanimous agreement that any music that invites towards sin is in itself sinful. But you don't need to worry bc you aren't muslim

There are better things to listen to.
    Fill your playlists with beneficial Islamic reminders and Quran recitations. F*ck I'm not muslim

• Some of the defensive and rude responses prove this guys point. Some music can be bad for you because you are unconscious of it being bad for you. I don't listen to any of the popular stuff with shallow lyrics or ego based messages.

• that does not mean that all music should be banned as some crazy muslims in the Middle East want...

• I agree and Rap and Death Metal top the list bottom of the heap worst of the worst.