A Monster Calls...

This movie kind of caught me off guard. I am not into many of these types of films. But it is so well written and directed. A little boy named Conor is dealing with his mother who has a terminal cancer. He is having problems dealing with the reality that she is going to die. He has strained relationships with his grandmother and his estranged father. There is also a school bully.

One night he is visited by a gigantic strange tree like monster. The monster announces that he will return to tell Conor three stories. And Conor then will have to tell a fourth. In the end, the monster helps Conor to deal with all of the obstacles in his life. The movie is surprising in its gentleness and masterful story telling. A very thoughtful film about how people deal with relationships and loss.

I guess the reception of the film was below expectations. It was probably billed as a children's film. But it does not have that children's feel. It has the feel of "A Series of Unfortunate Events", if you have seen that movie.

A Monster Calls...

43
RolandCuthbert is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 3

• Waw I liked "A Series of Unfortunate Events" (who burned the house though ugh so evident) and I watch this trailer and it seems interesting! Thank you!
    I'm going to watch it with friends 😃

• I just watched it alone because no one wanted to watch it with me, now I see...
      Thanks for making me cry

• Thank you for explaining, it is definitely not easy to understand...

• I know. It doesn't really feel like a children's film. I think that is what surprises everyone. It is a very deep emotional journey.

“You do not write your life with words... You write it with actions. What you think is not important. It is only important what you do.”

• I read the book a few years ago. Haven't seen the movie yet bc I feel like I won't like it as much as I liked the book, but maybe I'll check it out sometime.

• Hadn't heard of it, but now I'm to look it up and watch.

What Guys Said 2

• I only read the book

• Amos 2:9
    Yet destroyed I the Amorite before them, whose height was like the height of the cedars, and he was strong as the oaks; yet I destroyed his fruit from above, and his roots from beneath

this is in reference to the nephilim
    the children of the angels thats what the movie is about