Why You Should be Into South Korean Culture!

While I am bored with life, at the moment, Kpop and Kdramas have given me some joy in my life. Being close minded when it comes to other cultures, I have come to appreciate change!

KPOP

Kpop is amazing, for both guys and gals. Groups display they're amazing synchronized choreography and vocals along with rappers. Most groups have at least one rapper and one vocalist. The beauty of kpop displays Korean culture. In Korea beauty standards are pretty high, therefore men wearing makeup is very common. It's really refreshing to see men showing there feminine side without being harshly judged. Unlike in America, Kpop introduces more female rappers. The amazing thing about kpop is the diversity in music. Each album has a way of incorporating themes and is a mix between EDM, R&B, pop, and much more.

KDRAMAS

Kdrama is the title given to Korean television series. They can range from romcoms to dramas to highschool based scenes and much more. They bring a fresh take to the television scene. You will laugh and you will cry and cringe, but you'll totally love it! You can also observe Korea's culture and norms while watching. Hopefully it will get you into the culture more and you can start learning Korean!

FOOD

While I found myself getting more and more into Kpop and Kdramas, I began branching off into different foods. I found that I really love ramen and noodles and the seafood side of Asian cuisine. If you are into cooking, I think Asian cuisine is different and enjoyable. It will definitely make you want to visit Korea or any other Asian country. The candies and pastries are also very interesting and yummy.

1628

Most Helpful Guy

• Just saying not many korean men look feminine and dress metrosexual like the guys in kpop/kdramas. I feel people get surprised when I tell people I am korean because I look nothing like that due to every one thinking all korean men look like that. There are masculine looking koreans , looking like soldiers with strong jawline and short buzzcuts which is the side I am leaning towards. That being said I do enjoy korean food but im not a fan of kdramas at all due to what I said earlier, where guys are skinny, have makeup with lipstick.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Well Korean beauty standards are up their so i wouldn't be surprised if I saw a normal man wearing such a thing, especially on the younger side.

Most Helpful Girl

• nice mytake :)

I think what I like most about South Korean culture is the food (so many spicy options :>) and the indie music.
    So far I've made tteokbokki (spicy korean rice cake)
    i2.wp.com/.../Vegan-Tteokbokki.jpg?w=1460
    and I bought Korean gochujang and used that to make a lot of food.
    And I tried the samyang 2x spicy noodles (from the spicy noodle challenge) and now I eat them like regular ramen but with lots of corn to cool it down haha.

this is my favorite playlist for Korean Indie music.
    https://youtu.be/baUmERn6bWU

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • The original spicy noodles are too hot for me! Asian spicy food is on another level than us.

• Oh, have you ever seen the k comedy (?) The Sound of Your Heart

• No, but I'll def check it out!

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 27

• I love K Pop. Great music.

• Korea is way to feminized. Show them a picture of this please:

media.comicbook.com/.../god-of-war-1073040.jpeg

• Feminized? Oh dear, a world wear 20 year olds still think of feminism in a bad light. So much so y'all are being to make up words?

• @englisc F*cked up teeth and bad grammar? Sheesh.

• Fucked up teeth maybe... But bad grammar? The English language started in England, duh. If anything they're the ones with bad grammar.

• the issue i have is that its far too youth orientated. its like if you are over 25 you dont matter anymore. just like the film logans run. oh and im English but dont have bad teeth at all

• BTS and TWICE in one Take and also one of my favorite dramas Strong Girl Bong-Soon is enough to tell me that this is great.

• I LITERALLY JUST FINISHED THAT DRAMA AND AM WATCHING DREAM HIGH!! Add me on SC: ProminentlyPink

• I would love to get more into South Korean Culture. I just don't have the time anymore. I watched some videos online of artists years ago. I was looking at videos of "After School", then I came across an all girl dance group called "Black Queen". This video just left me staring at the screen with my mouth wide open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx1n_2lvIQY

• My wife was into kpop. I could never fathom that mystery, as her primary passion was for Beethoven, Chopin, etc. She was a music teacher.

As for Kdrama, sometimes she watched them. I could never really get into them. The only drama from Asia that I got a bit into was a Japanese drama. Oh, there is a Japanese mini series drama that I would like to get more into that I saw when I went to my student's house. His family watched it. I think it translates to Cloud upon the Slope.

Korean food makes going to my in-laws... challenging. However, they know I don't have much of a taste for most of it, so they give me small portions.

• music? no, long live metal
    dramas? even the Spanish tele-novelas are better (enough said)
    food? meh

all in all? no not at all

• Korea is definitely interesting; those KPOP groups can dance; it’s impressive

• I love Korean culture and tradition in general, I always wanted to visit Korea.

• K-pop and K-dramas aren't my thing, but I do like the food.

• I watched several episodes of one Korean Drama, it was interesting but I found it a bit repetitive.

• You just listed 3 things from the culture, 2 of which I absolutely have no interest in, and the food ain't one of 'em. I don't dislike KPop or KDrama; I just have 0 interest in pop music or soap operas no matter where they're from.

I will say, that I admire South Korea's culture most for emphasizing a good education far more than most other countries. I remember watching a documentary about this, where they showed footage of a cop giving a school girl a ride on his motorcycle between gridlocked cars so she doesn't miss an important college entrance exam. It's like the entire society as a collective want their kids to succeed.

• Kpop, Kdramas and the food is a major part of the culture. Actually, Korea has a huge issue with bullying within schools and homosexuality isn't largely accepted. Kpop displays a large array of different aspects of music including EDM, rap, hip-hop, pop, and much more. The food is a massive part of most cultures because it's a display of the country which most people take pride in. Getting into Kdramas is a great way to introduce foreigners to the culture and hopefully learn the language and gain perspective on their ideals and mannerisms.

• See, being more polite can change an opinion completely.

• I sincerely don't understand what you mean. Are you saying that you responded politely and that helped me change my opinion?
      I will tell you this though: You are very polite, and I sincerely appreciate that, but I don't think I changed my opinion. I think I simply clarified using correct terms. For example, I simply thought KPop refers to boy-bands and similar music, but I forgot about rap and rock, which I think are significantly better. It's all good though.

One thing I will put out there where we will agree on a lot (I think) is that I love Korean food! I have never eaten a Korean dish or food item that I didn't think was at least good, if not absolutely delicious!

• Food... Korean food... oh yes !! Also trained in Tae Kwon Do many years back , you learn some Korean terminology too.

• It'd be awful hard for me to make anything resembling a living there simply because I have a healthy BMI.
    Your argument is invalid.

• Kim jong un Just recently went to see a kpop concert in south Korea!

• 1) I like hip hop better. Pop is no; kpop is BIG no. I've zero interest in kpop and I think it sucks!
    And tbh I don't like women in rap. Not trying to be sexist but male rappers sound better. (Although I like Salt n pepa).

And why on Earth would I listen to rap in other languages? Rap is all about lyrics and not beats.

2) I'm into sci-fi, action, thriller and fantasy movies so again, no kdramas for me.

3) I'm vegan and Indian culture offers plenty of vegan dishes as compared to any other cultures. So I'm not into kfood either.

• Kpop offers hip-hop. It doesn't suck and you not listening to music because it's in a different language is quite amusing, it really shows how much you really know about rap. You don't like women in rap because you've only heard trash rappers like Nicki and Cardi. Kdramas have a lot of different genres including sci-fi, action, thrillers and fantasy. There are a lot of Asian dishes that are vegan... You seem very close minded.

• I don't think so. Rap is about rhyming and twisting words. Sometimes, I find it difficult to understand lyrics even in English. Although it is possible to listen pop songs in other languages (like despasito) since pop has enhanced musical element which makes it catchy. But when it comes to rap, catchiness is not important but lyrics is. Rap is hip hop and whole song goes on just 2 beats.

Yeah I know Cardi B and Nikki Minaj are trash rappers but I don't listen to recent ones. I prefer old school ( biggie smalls, 2pac, Nas, Eminem, Wu Tang clan etc)

Ok. My assumption was wrong. But term "drama" generally refers to genre drama and not sci fi. I did try watching some, but they were too vanilla for me. I'd appreciate if you recommend me some.(in English!)

• kpop - nah
    kdrama - nah, ok maybe
    food - FUCK YEAH!!!

• Who do you think you are telling me wtf I should be into? You're not my real mom!

• l love it all pass me the girl lol

• More from Guys
    7

What Girls Said 15

• BTS! Yesssss. But I will say that although I love BTS and like these parts you mentioned of their culture, as a whole Korean culture needs some intervention. I am hoping that somehow in years in to come they can find solutions to their VERY SERIOUS social issues.

• by the way lol look at the attitude on Suga in that pic! And my boyyy Tae is looking so innocent and cute lol ❤

• Ohh I now saw your comment lol I'll check up on it

• OMG yeah. Have you watched BLACKPINK house on V?

• I all watch is Kdrama and anime, I love Kpop and even enjoy their movies and food where I live it's an hour drive and everything has Japanese markets, Korean food, stores, bookstores, places you can buy/rent movies or series. I love going there to browse, eat, or shop.

• I don't really agree with the WRITER of this article. She thinks that South Korean culture is just Kpop, Kdrama, and food. That's like me saying American culture is just Taylor Swift, Friends (the TV show), and hamburgers. But maybe that's kinda true, not fully, though.

• But the only things that this article listed was "Kpop, Kdrama, and food." Nothing else.

• @keno_ke Yes because it's supposed to be short and sweet and get people into the gist of it.

• I honestly LOVE kpop its like my thing BTS and Twice are amazing so is Got7 seventeen bigbang astro and many other groups kefjn, n dont get me wrong im not a koreaboo ugh cringe but like kpop has helped me through a lot and unlike most American music thats all like hey lets fuck and make money they korean songs deal with problems like depression or suicide like Shinee 'tell me what to do' i just i feel strongly about this topic hh

• I mean I'm all for loving these things but I think that when it comes to the industry, especially the music industry in South Korea, it can be (and is) quite fucked up behind the scenes. You have idols literally starving themselves to fit into a certain look, and being severely punished if they don't. A lot of groups get very little money for the work they do, with their label taking the majority of the revenue. Not to mention that they offer little to no help for their idols in terms of dealing with stress or mental health issues, considering that SK is still quite a backwards country where mental health is incredibly stigmatized. Just look at what happened to SHINee's Jonghyun.
    They're overworked and underpaid, with labels trying to churn out these perfect groups that have been training for years before they even get to touch a real stage. They exploit these young girls' and boys' passion for singing, dancing and performing, to the point where their awful treatment is accepted. Because if you're too "weak" to make it in that kind of environment, there are at least 100 people behind you who are willing to take your place. Hence, there's no reason why any of the labels would want to change this treatment, because there are literally no consequences and very little investment in their trainees.
    Of course not all labels are like that I'm sure, but at the same time there's not a whole lot that's pointing to any of the bigger or more well known labels treating their artists any better than that.
    So while I understand your love for SK, the groups, the music, the culture and the food, try to remember to always think critically and not accept everything you see on surface level. There's a lot of mistreatment, unfairness and straight up sexism (BoM from 2NE1 vs. Top from Bigbang for example) within the industry which makes it very apparent that SK has a lot to work on on a societal level still, because these things are merely the symptoms of a deeper problem.
    Not to mention fan culture in SK which is unlike anything I've ever seen. Sasaengs are batshit insane. People are harassing idols for looking the wrong way, wearing the wrong thing, not "acting grateful enough" etc even when they're already bending over backwards to please everyone.

• i love korean everything

• And besides all of them are like so fucking beautiful!

• I enjoy KPop and I've seen trailers to some KDramas and they do look really funny and the guys are adorable. It's made me interested in visiting SK!

• Korean people r very nice personel :) i likethem , absolutely nice, sweet and funny a personality :)

• I used to be, but visiting Seoul ended my slight obsession.

• All I need is tteokbokki.

• I like Korean food :D

• I like Japanese culture

• I don't wanna join

• I swear if I see BTS one more time..

• Although I love Korean Entertainment there are more to the culture than just those 3 three things lol.