The Cartoon That would not Die: The Fairly Oddparents

smahala1991

As a child of the 90's and 00's I had several favorite cartoons. Among these were: Rugrats, Animaniacs, Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, Catdog, Hey Arnold, The Powerpuff Girls, and the first few seasons of SpongeBob. Among my favorites was another show that had a long running, The Fairly Oddparents. At one time this show was like my 2nd favorite on nickelodeon (which was the primary kids channel in my house). The show premiered not as its own show but a part of a cartoon variety show called Oh Yeah, Cartoons on Nickelodeon in 1997. Below is the first short cartoon As you can tell the voices are way different than the series would turn out to be.

The Short cartoons were so successful that Nick ordered Butch Hartman to create a series. The series debuted in March 2001. The first years of it were so popular that it was beating Spongebob and Rugrats ratings which both shows were Nickelodeons bread and butter at the time. Catdog, Hey Arnold, Rocket Power and Wild Thornberries were still producing new episodes at the time as well. So needless to say it was in good company. The Characters of Timmy, Cosmo, Wanda, Vicky, and a whole host of others were involved in many different stories and plots. For it's time it was a game changer.

Then around 2004 the show did several crossovers with Jimmy Neutron which were highly liked. But, there was just one problem. Nickelodeon was quickly changing it's direction from having several favorites to focusing more on Spongebob. Hey Arnold, Catdog, Wild Thornberries, and Rugrats would all end at the same time. This left Nickelodeon with some voids to fill which they tried with Jimmy Neutron, All Grown Up (a Rugrats spinoff that flopped), and Danny Phantom (which was created by Hartman as well, and there are several FOP and DP theories I'll save for another day). This would be the first time FOP would be on the chopping black.

The show did return later in 2006. The next few years saw much of the same where new shows came and go while The Sponge still reigned supreme. It is also at this time when Nick told Hartman to introduce new characters to the series which included Poof the fairy baby. Longtime fans of the show were kinda iffy to the character. However, Poof would be a more welcome addition than his latter counterparts to the show Sparky and Chloe (which the latter two became the death nail in the coffin). The Show was on Hiatus and off continuously 5 times until 2017 when it died for good and Butch Hartman left Nickelodeon.

But why did it start to suck? Here are my 3 reasons why.

1. Less of certain characters, but more of others.

In the beginning The show had an interesting array of characters which included: Francis (The school bully), Mr. Crocker (the evil and prozac depedent teacher), Trixie Tang (Spoiled rich girl and timmy's love interest), Chester,AJ,Sanjay,and Elemer who were Timmy's best friends, and Jorgen Von Strangle (an Arnold Schwarzenegger spoof) These characters made the show highly likeable. But one by one some characters were written out completely or not featured as much. While some characters became more central parts to the storyline such as Crocker.

2.Nickelodeon became way too dependent on Spongebob, and other Networks were winning the battle.

Disney and Cartoon Network were becoming legitimate threats to Nickelodeon at this time. in the late 2000's Disney produced Phineas and Ferb which was becoming popular and at one time was offered to Nickelodeon but refused. Another upcoming hit was Adventure Time which was actually supposed to be on Nickelodeon as well, but was voted down for Fanboy and Chum Chum (and we know how that went). Alongside that Nick was ignoring it's other cartoons for Spongebob by showing continuous episodes as a constant stable. Later other shows such as Regular Show and Gravity Falls were becoming new favorites leaving Nickelodeon's status as the cartoon spot questionable.

3. Nickelodeon would make a comeback, but FOP was NOT a part of the plans.

Since 2016 Nickelodeon has been making a comeback with it's nostalgia favorites such as hey Arnold, Rocko, Rugrats, Doug, Ren and Stimpy, and Ahh Real Monsters making comebacks in reruns on it's sister channels. This has gotten them so much over that Nick ordered rebooted episodes of Hey Arnold, Rocko, Invader Zim, and Rugrats. Nickelodeon would also come back with shows like Paw Patrol, Loud House, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles which brought back another popular 90's franchise. Spongebob was also starting to improve as Stephen Hillenburg and members of the original team were returning for new episodes. However, Nickelodeon's comeback did not include Fairly Oddparents. The show aired it's last episode with no real ending in late 2017. a month or so later, Butch Hartman left the company.

So goes another cartoon that was once great, but died at the hands of the company that was entrusted to it. In my opinion I don't think Nickelodeon wanted any part of it really unless it could make changes it saw fit. In turn so many changes is what killed it. But for nostalgias sake let's sing along to the Theme song!!!

#Fairlyoddparents
#Childhoodwasawesome

8
15
8Girl Opinion
15Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Girl

• Rei02
    I agree that FOP was a great show, but that didn't last. Where I started to detect that the quality got lower was when some characters which were lovable and empathic became total jerks and ***holes, a trait that shows like The Simpsons, Family Guy and South Park (in that case, the jerks became lame or worse) have shared as they got rotten as well.

A long-running series is always at risk to get rotten if they don't end it, it is like the company is sucking every drop of its essence, its life, exploiting it so the company can get more money and exploiting them even though the new episodes are not as good as the older ones.

Once I heard in another series that everything has to end eventually. We cannot make things last forever, everything has to finish or change. Some series need to rest in peace or they can get rotten, another examples have been Rugrats and Spongebob SquarePants.

I know that there are series we became to like and even love to the point to wish that they could stay forever, but after seen various examples of series which have been kept for a long, long time and became rotten, I would rather prefer to give them a deserved ending instead of getting rotten to the point where they won't be even the shadow of what they were. That's what happened with FoP.

I just hope that Adventure Time's ending would be a fair ending, things have really messed up in that series as well. Well at least they put an interesting last plot.
    Is this still revelant?
    • They should have ended it in 2005 and not bothered with Poof. There were lots of characters with episodes that could have been centered around them, but made it more about Timmy than anything else.

• Rei02

You are right, because of two things:
      1. At that point many characters, even Timmy, have become total jerks and ***holes at that point.
      2. There was a promise that both FoP and Jimmy Neutron series were going to finish absolutely after their third crossover. Really, I loved Jimmy Neutron series, maybe others expected more about the series, but I really loved that series, and the real ending for me is The League of Villains (or the one of Lady Sings the Blues, but the League of Villains was the last one I watched), because the crossovers were a total wreckage, they put Jimmy as a laughing stock and all the characters of Jimmy's universe hadnĀ“t the personality which they developed in the series. Ok, the third crossover ended and it was time to make both series rest in peace, unfortunately, Nickelodeon decided to keep FoP, thus like with the Simpsons, they broke their promise, they kept it going and Jimmy Neutron ended in the worse way possible.

• Rei02

The crossovers I mean are the second and third one.

Most Helpful Guys

• JuarezTheCurious
    Oh well... FOP was good while it lasted... it dragged on too long and got bad, but it used to be extremely good.

While Nickelodeon went downhill, at least it produced Avatar: The Last Airbender, which in my opinion, is hands down, the best animated show ever made... among-st both Western cartoons, and anime.

While kind of cheesy at times due to having to keep a TV-Y7-FV rating, it was excellently executed, and the creators of the shows had went in DEEP to create this show, going as far as to actually study and learn Chinese symbols and such.
    Is this still revelant?
  • NYCQuestions1976
    As a cartoon lover, nicely done! Any love for original, old-time cartoons?

Funny you mentioned voices changing on the Fairly Odd Parents, because the first voice that changed was Timmy. The woman who did Timmy's voice during "Season 0" committed suicide before the actual series was ordered and aired.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

713
  • AuroraRoseat
    LOL. I agree. I didn't even think it was interesting after awhile. You could say Spongebob is another, but I think it's still more amusing than the OddParents.
  • binarybabe001
    I actually liked foster' s home for imaginary friends and courage the cowardly dog better than the fairly odd parents.
  • AwkwardEscapee
    So glad you discussed Nickelodeon's flawed focus on Spongebob. I still don't really get they replied and pushed so heavily on one show.
  • Gedaria

Don't know this one , im more into Scooby doo. lady Penelope , wacky races...
  • Poppykate
    Shows are usually popular because 1. They are funny and 2. They are relatable.
  • Cr1s714n0
    God, I love it! I had lots of fun watching The Fairly Oddparents some years ago. The storyline is amazing and all characters are very funny indeed
  • Salmon4056
    I loved the Powerpuff girls but I wish I could remember watching animaniacs🙀
    • goaded

Pinky and the Brain?

• Salmon4056

@goaded i don't remember it very well. Probably only seen 3 episodes of it in my childhood along with animaniacs

• goaded

Your loss! :)

"What are we going to do tonight, Brain?"
      "Same as we do every night, Pinky, we're going to take over the world!"

• JDavid25
    Wow this take is great... Almost like I was readin an articule on a popular publication site.. FOP was never one of my favorite cartoons but I still really liked it nonetheless.. Especially Jimmy/Timmy Power hour.. That was equivalent to The Avengers movies to me at the time.. This kina makes me miss the old days when I was younger, and watched cartoons.. It's sad that this show never concluded it's story.. Although we all know Vickies Sister and Timmy end up together.. But, yeah. Studios and they lust for money are they own demise really.. How come they don't see that?
  • COCOCHANEL
    as a child of the 80s and 90s i haven't watched a single episode of this show. i watched a lot of disney channel, wb and nickelodeon all through the 90s
  • Hashirama
    You'reeeeeeeee with your friends the backyard agaaaaainnnsssThe Cartoon That would not Die: The Fairly Oddparents
  • NightOwl8801
    Wow...
    Well written and accurate article there.
    I agree with you and it was a good show
  • PoohBoy38
    I loved watching the Fairly Odd Parents along with the Powrpuffgirls and Winnie the Pooh.
  • DamnMan
    This and Spongebob make new episodes every couple weeks to months while showing years of reruns.
    Kinda ingenious, really.
  • RedRobin
    I loved fairly odd parents
  • hammeronfire
    i liked it until poof happened
  • ARTJAB
    Are they still making it?
  • TheNephilim
    Nice myTake
  • Trollfather
    I prefer Dexter's Lab and the 90's cartoons.
  • zagor
    The cartoon that would not die? Try the Simpson's.
    • That too, but like I said in the take Nickelodeon tried to kill it several times in its run by canceling it and putting it on hiatus.

• Rei02

Family Guy, American Dad, South Park, SpongeBob, Archer, Steven Universe (I can't see currently when it is going to end).

At least Adventure Time is going to end.

• Dude_1820
    There was nothing great about this show lol