Captain Marvel! Extremely average!

What a waste!
What a waste!

So knowing GaG, lot of you guys are going to be in the whole identity politics things. I can only say that is just weird. If it isn't identity politics when there is a male lead, how can it be when a female is a lead?

Anyway, it doesn't matter. Identity politics or no, people shouldn't make movies that suck. And this one while it gets off to a good start, falls flat on its face.

I can say Brie seems to be able to carry a lead role well. She is kicking butt right off the bat, does a lot of her own stunts. And it is convincing. I always love seeing Jude Law. I mean the pros are obvious;

1. Set in the 90s. The first scene includes a Blockbuster video store. That was awesome!

2. The soundtrack. You guys will love it, Nirvana, Elastica, TLC, No Doubt, etc.

3. New refreshing origin story.

4. New take on Skrull/Kree conflict.

But everything falls apart in the second half of the movie. The dialogue between Jackson and Larson in the second half of the flick is just dumb and boring, when it is supposed to be funny. In the second half of the film, they seem to just resort to gimmicks and all kinds of weirdness. Like there is literally a conversation between a little girl and her mother who is contemplating going on a mission with Larson. The little girl tells her mother to go ahead and risk her life because it is something she always wanted to do.

I was like what????

It is like a failed DeadPool movie for the second half of the film. It is trying to be this edgy comedy and it is just pitiful.

So two and a half stars out of four.

Its a shame. It could have been so much better. Oh and another thing. The end credits scene ties into Endgame. And it is awesome!

1764
RolandCuthbert is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girls

• I’d have to disagree to your opinion on the scene when the little girl and her mother talk about whether or not she should go to space on the ‘coolest mission in history’

In my opinion, every good movie has its parts that don’t seem substantial to the plot necessarily, but still add a spark to the movie. Although if the little girl didn’t convince her mum to go to space the whole movie would be different. So I think that scene has importance but even if it didn’t, I think it would add something to the movie.

• No, it could have been re-written to be more realistic. If they were doing a Deadpool like comedy, it could have been a hilarious scene. But they chose this context. So make it vital that she has to a participate and give us a scene where she is explaining this to her daughter. There is plenty of feminist stuff to fit in there about how her mother has duty/responsibility from being in the military, etc., etc.

• 3d

In my opinion.. again.. I don’t think adding the daughter in captain marvel was a waste of time. It does add something to the movie.. maybe not what you’d like. It adds to the past of captain marvel, and yes their relationship was indefinitely not a key point.. it’s still part of who she is in the future. But, in my opinion the only time a character is a ‘waste of time’ is if the character has legitimately nothing to do with the plot.

• 2d

Well that’s your opinion. We are speculating about a future film when they introduce the “Black” female who eventually takes the mantle. It was still a goofy way to introduce her, if that is what they were doing.

• A movie supporting a certain narrative of course doesn’t make it a good movie, it’s just a good initiative

• That is actually an interesting take and one I have not ever heard before about such things.

Most Helpful Guys

• " Like there is literally a conversation between a little girl and her mother who is contemplating going on a mission with Larson. The little girl tells her mother to go ahead and risk her life because it is something she always wanted to do. "

I thought this was a joke too. That kind of decision can't just be made on such a trivial basis as that. Just seemed like they wanted to promote the "mother hero" idea, although I would find it as stupid if it was a father. I dunno about this man.

• I did enjoy the movie. I feel like the style of a Captain Marvel sets it apart from the other Marvel movie, yet still stick to its central theme.

• I just realised something that may be a plot hole. Why didn't Nick Fury call in Captain Marvel when Loki and the aliens attacked and the US government planned to nuke New York? Or why didn't Nick Fury call in when an out of control AI attempted to destroy the world and nearly succeeded?

I'm just saying, there were too many close calls and Nick Fury never even considered contacting her until just now?

• Yeah, that was stupid. They should have addressed it by saying her mission with the Skrulls would take a couple of decades.

• Avengers 1:
      Nick Fury: "Nuclear bomb and Aliens are destroying New York? I don't need to call her."
      Avengers 2:
      Nick Fury: "An out of control AI going to destroy the world? I don't need to call her."
      Infinity War:
      Nick Fury: "Oh sh*t! Everyone dead. Better call her in!"

Join the discussion

1562
  • Captain Marvel was definitely influenced by feminism no doubt.

• Go woke, you go broke.

The identity politics Brie played outside the movie wasn't needed, but since Ghostbusters I think people have learned to recognize that when the identity card is being played, it's going to be dull and cringy... kinda like the intersectional religion.

All I got to say... Wonder Woman didn't have to pull that shit, and nobodies shitting all over that movie. I don't watch movies, but I am seeing peoples' reactions to them. Most of us all cringe when we start hearing the 'social justice' narrative because it's just a tell tale sign of the oncoming cringe fest we'd rather not deal with. Couple that with the over the top outrage that's going to be flung about like monkeys taking a break from jerking off whenever someone verbally disagrees with them... yeah... I don't have to see this movie to know it sucks.

I knew it was going to suck as soon as it started getting the 'woke' push behind it. Again... Wonder Woman didn't need that shit did it? In fact I remember the damn intersectionals getting pissed off that she shaved her armpits and was too pretty. And more than likely all that 'outrage' came from 2 or 3 beasts making a stink on twitter and nowhere else.

• I almost hide your post.

Dude, calm down.

The movie sucked. And certainly not because of the whole feminist angle.

It sucked because it had bad dialogue, bad writing, and bad chemistry for the second half of the film. I would have not seen it, if it were not for free. I was invited by several different firms. But settled on the one that had dinner included.

That was awesome.

• The issue is that movies are political. They are cultural. They are social. They are a lot of things. You simply pick what you want to watch and go enjoy yourself.

If you don't like certain types of cinema. Don't go see it. I didn't go see Soul Plane because i thought it was a bunch of nonsensical ignorant "Black" minstrel crap.

But you might not see it that way. I didn't care then and I wouldn't care now. It isn't my kind of flick.

Not that this one was. I was invited to the premiere. Otherwise, I don't think I would have seen it. I think the comic book flicks are starting to wear on me. I haven't even seen Aquaman.

• I feel the same there... comic flicks and remakes of old movies are starting to grind my gears. Not that I can't enjoy them once in a while, but Hollywood seems to be stuck on being unoriginal right now.

... and I thought the 90's was bad with the 5 minute softcore porn scenes I simply didn't need to see in order to know what happened.

• "If it isn't identity politics when there is a male lead, how can it be when a female is a lead?"
    -
    For one, a female lead alone does not mean that it's identity politics. Ripley from Aliens or Sarah Connor from Terminator were good female leads and no one complains about them. It's the intent that matters, and Brie showed her intent by pushing her agenda during the marketing of this movie.
    For two, no one's pushing anything pro-male anymore.

"1. Set in the 90s. The first scene includes a Blockbuster video store. -
    That was awesome!"
    -
    That was pandering to the currently growing ''90's kid'' audience. In the late 2020's, movies will start to put in things and scenes from the early 2000's and on and on. I mean, did everyone forget how 80's references were the thing 10 years ago?

in my opinion there's nothing refreshing of the story - they even promoted it for following the marvel formula well, which is debatable.

"The end credits scene ties into Endgame. And it is awesome!"
    -
    This is borderline misuse of the words awesome. If everything is awesome then nothing is, really. Awesome is supposed to be something you practically never see and will likely never see. Something that make you AWE. I highly doubt a scene at the beggining and end of the movie brought out literal awe from you.

• "Ripley from Aliens or Sarah Connor from Terminator were good female leads and no one complains about them. It's the intent that matters, and Brie showed her intent by pushing her agenda during the marketing of this movie."

Well, don't go see the flick. But one thing is for certain, be prepared for more action flicks with female leads. Its funny in other nations, this was an issue that was put to bed decades ago.

As for pushing pro-male stuff, again, that's kind of weird. It isn't like pro male stuff had to be pushed, right? You don't really think Hollywood in the 80s and 90s, actually thought to themselves, "we need to do more male action movies", right?

We need another thread for this discussion. Maybe you can start one.

1. I don't can't even begin to understand your criticism here. So there isn't really a need to comment.

2. You don't seem to know the comic. That's cool. The original origin story was quite different than what they do in this movie. I liked it. I also liked the different take on the Skrull/Kree war. It they could have spent more time on it, it would have been really cool. And if you don't like the guy who plays the Skrull boss, something is wrong with you.

You seem to just be a guy who is pissed off and wants to crap all over this thread.

Find another thread to take a crap in.

I won't let you do it here.

• You miss the point. I don't hate the leads because of their gender. Heck, I do not even hate Brie Larson. I just hate that she's a bigot.

• @Liam_Hayden So how did I miss the point? If you don't like what she said, don't go see the movie. The flick kind of surpassed all expectations. And probably because of all the hype around the whole feminist schtick. The funny thing is, it is actually a pretty average movie.

You can do whatever you wish or think whatever you want. But I just think it is a much more effective argument to separate the two issues. Take Brie on for what she said. And evaluate the movie for what it is.

A very lukewarm experience.

• I saw it yesterday. The movie was boring for a superhero film. Not much combat and the combat that existed was not invigorating. The storyline they went with for the skrulls is very different from the comics but it worked for the movie. It was not a horrible fill nor was it a snoozefest but it was lackluster.

• That's what I was saying. I liked the Skrulls story. I liked the guy who played their leader. But they didn't go into it very much.

• Didn't watch it yet. The feminist actress told me that single white males aren't welcome at the cinema because we would polute it with our white male patriarchal oppressive toxic masculinity...

So I stayed home and watched Deadpool..

• I really liked it, I went to a pre screening on Tuesday.
    Also proof.

• In my humble opinion most of the script was disjointed, with plot jumps that made on sense, Cpt Marvel was a miss cast Brie Larson did not have the force of character to carry the role there are other actors who could have filled the role better.

• He said average he must have not watched the film yet or must of just watched something else completely.

It was a great film and comparing to Deadpool ummm wtf it was nothing alike nor trying to be.
    Seriously did you just watch Deadpool 2 and think it was captain marvel.

• Yeah, I watched the film, did you read my review?

Oh, you didn't? Got it!

• You truly are 17 years old.

• Well done you have gone to the line that older people say when they cannot say anything else cause they ain't smart enough to do so.

• Thank you for the heads up. Honestly, I wasn't excited to go to the cinema to watch it anyway.

• The "identity politics" around this movie had nothing to do with the fact it has a female lead - it has everything to do with Brie's idiotic rants. Additionally, the trailers for it have left much to be desired, and Captain Marvel as a character has never been exceptionally popular anyway. This was their opportunity to change that, but I think they've floundered.

I agree entirely with "extremely average" as a movie, but I would place it well below average for a Marvel movie. It's like they didn't really know what they wanted to do with this movie, and assumed that the fact it had a female lead alone would carry it. To even try and make it sound like some kind of groundbreaking development to have a female lead in an action movie was very odd too, considering there are literally dozens, some of which were actually good.

At this point, I'm honestly kind of ready for the MCU to just come to an end. I know that's not happening, but these movies are becoming more and more forgettable.

• Oh, I am not ready for the MCU to come to an end.

But I agree with the spirit of your post. The movie could have been a whole lot better.

• Well. It was never high on my list of things to go see but Captain Marvel should have some clever humor in there. I reckon this’ll be a rental for me eventually.

• For the first part of the movie, it made you chuckle a little. Brie had some good lines. Then the second half with the little girl was just too much. The conversations were too weird.

• Interesting, really... I haven't seen the movie yet, but so far all the GUYS I've talked to have said it was just okay... but all the GIRLS I've talked to have said it was amazing.

• I mean, I guess if you want to see a movie about female empowerment, see it.

But there are many other flicks that do a much better job, in my opinion. I am a comic book fan. Captain Marvel is a pretty cool hero. She needed a better movie.

• Did you like Wonder Woman?

Because Wonder Woman was on a different level than this flick.

• I'd say the movie is actually good.

I would only say that Captain Marvel may be a bit too OP, so what happens when she faces Thanos.

At least it isn't like Star Wars where Rey wins on her first go.

• I'm debating if I'm even going to see it. The trailer was such a let down.

• 7d

I've not watched it, and I won't be after what it clearly is pushing. I've watched several reviews and synopses to see how it will play into Endgame, and that's all I needed from it.

I will watch Endgame, but if Marvel makes some kind of messiah out of a man-hating feminist who is new to the MCU after I've followed heroes like Ironman for years, that's the last of my money that Marvel will get.

• I think the start was bad.
    If it had started like guardian of the galaxy when the protagonist gets abducted, her internal conflict at the end would have been more realistic and relatable.

• I disagree. I liked the whole sequence with her on the Skrull Ship. I liked her first arriving on earth and meeting up with Fury. Then right after she discovers her origins, it goes left and it never comes back.

• It was decent. The action set pieces were really good and the story explains and sets up her entry into Endgame really well but you're right a lot of the acting was trite and boring. Marvel is better than this

• The worst marvel movie ever because the lead actor is an SJW feminist

• You are lot smarter than your posts.

You know that, right?

• I understand your point. Il give you my review once i see it.

• @destinycheer7658 It really isn't her political views. I disagree with John Cusack and a lot of other liberals politically, but I love their movies. They don't attack me personally for being a white male like The Toxic Avenger Brie Larson does. She is a bigot, but because her bigotry is against white men more people do not seem to care. Switch out other unavoidable characteristic for "white" and "male" to understand how bigoted it is.

• I haven't watched the film yet and I'm not even excited about it. I don't know anything about the character. I just know she's a human/kree hyrbid (thanks Wikipedia) and that she's supposed to be the strongest character in the MCU. That kinda reminds me of Superman and I absolutely hate that garbage character. I've never liked characters that are too powerful to even exist on earth, they're exaggerated af! I'm more interested in the post credits scene of the film just because the character will appear in Endgame so I gotta see how it ties into it.

• Nah, they took the whole thing on a different angle. So her powers doesn't come from being human/kree.

But the whole the most powerful hero thing is just overblown. It actually took away my enthusiasm to see the movie.

And you are right about Superman. It is so hard to write good stories about him, because he is too powerful. You can't think up a good villain.

• Yeah and it's not even just the movie, it has happened again and again in the comics too! Then when the writers show Superman getting beat up by Lex Luthor, doesn't that seem like a desperate attempt to SOMEHOW show Superman as vulnerable? Hell he can even travel through time! 😂

Dragon Ball also started giving some lame reasons to add more powers and forms to saiyans. Why is it that Vegeta never really manages to surpass Goku? Vegeta trains more, trains harder, he's older than Goku and has been fighting superpowered aliens since he was a child, so why can't he? Writers say Goku's power comes from fighting to save people, his selflessness in a way and Vegeta just fights to feed his greed for power... Fine, I'm ready to accept that but after the Cell Saga, Vegeta has a family, he accept Earth as his home and started fighting to protect people so why can't he match Goku's level now? Some characters just get ruined because of the plot armors! Truth is, DC wants Superman to be their most powerful character, so they do anything to keep him that way. Akira Toriyama wants to keep Goku as the main character, he'll also do anything to keep things that way. 😑

• Yeah agreed, about Dragonball. They want Goku to be the most powerful, even though the stories are starting to contort to being nonsensical at this point.

• I was a huge fan of Buffy The Vampire Slayer so a female lead doesn't bother me but I hate her she said she doesn't want anymore white fans so in turn I won't be a fan lol

• I knew it from the very first day when i saw it's teaser. Days of marvel are over.
    It's Dc's turn now to show the magic.

• DC?

Dude, they got things stuck in reverse over there. They can't even keep the same casting.

• Nah, it still sucked. You don't realize the importance of villains. When you have Lex Luthor flopping around like a weird nutty high school teenager, it kind of spoils things. Luthor is supposed to be an intellect capable of outwitting Batman's strategic mind and Superman's strength.

He just came off as a nerdy high school teen who was rejected by the cool kids.

In fact, Dawn of Justice, was worse than Justice League in my opinion.

But I will give you this, in the animated space, DC is far ahead of Marvel. Why they can't follow that blueprint when it comes to the films is beyond me.

Could you imagine them doing the FlashPoint universe?

People's heads would explode.

• 🎌 Peace

• Hey, just tell me one thing, did she REALLY deck that old lady on the bus, or was that just some kind of dream sequence?

Are they really pushing this crazy psychotic as a superhero like Superman and Spiderman when she's going around using her super punches on little old ladies on the bus?

• I loved this movie.
    The part when she unleashes her full power. 😍

• I really enjoyed it, but there are better movies with female protagonists.

I'd give it an 8/10

• SUICIDE SQUAD was even better than CAP MARVEL... and i really didn`t like Suicide Squad, so that should tell you enough on how i felt about CAP Marvel.

• Rotten Tomatoes right now

• "So knowing GaG, lot of you guys are going to be in the whole identity politics things. I can only say that is just weird. If it isn't identity politics when there is a male lead, how can it be when a female is a lead?"

Brie Larson made comments in the press that White men should not see or review movies that are not made for them. This is why race, gender, and all that other bullshit surrounds this and other movies today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA_DNrV6izw

• 7d

"I'm not saying I hate white dudes... buuuuut"

Hahahahahahaa.

• 3d

As per usual, RolandCuthbert inserts text in what he THINKS someone said, rather than reading their words. I never said movies were apolitical in the past. I said I don't want to be lectured about politics in what should have been an apolitical feel-good movie.

My issue with her comments is that they are racist, ageist, and sexist.

This is the equivalent of LeBron James saying there need to be more Asian sports journalists because he's tired of hearing opinions from old white and black men. That sounds a bit fucked up, doesn't it?

Keep in mind this woman doesn't even believe the bullshit she espouses. Pretty much everybody at her press junkets has been white men.

My stance is consistent. If you're the better player, you get to be in the NBA. If more people are drawn to your reviews, you have more ad revenue to write your reviews.

Let me guess, now is when you say that stupid one-liner about how you don't believe in race, after talking about race. What a fucking race-baiting shill you are.

• 3d

"I said I don't want to be lectured about politics in what should have been an apolitical feel-good movie."

That is such a nothing statement. I illustrated how movies are political all the time. And people are simply sitting there thinking they are watching a feel good movie.

It is simply you are unaware, because;

1. The political statement is one you agree with.

2. You are so disconnected, you can't tell.

And I have no idea how you are going to go see the first superhero film in the MCU dedicated to a woman and have the expectation that is should not or will not be political.

"This is the equivalent of LeBron James saying there need to be more Asian sports journalists because he's tired of hearing opinions from old white and black men. That sounds a bit fucked up, doesn't it?"

Why does that sound fucked up?

How many fucked up thread at GaG are there about race? Have you whined about those posts?

Of course not.

As for what Brie said specifically, I find it distasteful also. But this is the first post where you actually talked about what she said. Why is that?

And why did you try to disguise your feelings about what she said, as some logical critique on political narratives in American cinema?

• 7d

Unsurprisingly the feminist propaganda was also boring, glad I only pirate hollywood dreck. They should have left Captain Marvel a dude and stuck their feminism waaaaaayyy up where the sun doesn't shine.

• 6d

Uhm, sir. Captain Marvel has been a woman. . . for literally decades.

And several different people have held the mantle.

• 5d

Two Captain Marvel movies not even a month apart, about the same character?

Captain Marvel! Extremely average!

• 5d

Sorry you have the dishonor to call strangers liars, I suppose in your part of the world liars are probably abundant. But I don't have a tv and I almost never pay to see hollywood garbage, so prior to talking to you and googling this shit, all I knew was that they were replacing shazam with some mouthy little stinkbomb who would push more general cuntyness among the idiots that surround and negatively effect me.

But I guess it is unfathomable to you that someone wouldn't keep up with all the kiddy bullshit you seem to think is so important. But believe it or not, that's how it is. Enjoy your stories. I'm done with you.

• Yeah, I heard from a couple of You-Tube critics that it was "average".. Well, I still wanna see it, probably won't in the Theaters but once it gets that DVD quality I'm on it.. 8).. Although, I heard that Brie Larson's performance wasn't that great..

• I don't give a flying monkey fuck about identity politics, but I do like my Marvel...

It's nowhere near the worst of the marvel movies. That would be the likes of Thor 2 the Dark World or Iron Man 2 (second half especially), or even most of Iron Man 3.

Captain Marvel hits a few of the main character tropes, modernises them for the current climate, and tells a semi-decent origin story.

Ronan the Accuser gets better, more effective presence and dialogue here than in his previous outings.

I had one problem with it - She's basically over powered as fuck, like Superman - except she doesn't have Kryptonite. Mega powerful heroes need weakness, or they are just shit wish-fulfilment characters.

• It isn't the worst, but is nowhere near the best. I don't care about her being overpowered. The flick is totally underdone.

It's like they got to the second half of the movie and just said. . ."ah screw it".

• Gross movie. White men bad, white men racist.

• 6d

I LIKED THE MOVIE! IT WAS FUN! but it wasn't great. It wasn't bad. It just was average. The bad press is overrated. It was fun.

A great movie? Wonder woman.

• Imagine caring this much about a fucking comic book movie

• 6d

The feminist propaganda was way too blatant throughout the entire movie and I also hated Brie Larson's acting. Some people just aren't fit to play superheros. I was extremely disappointed

And before someone says I'm against women playing lead roles in movies, I absolutely loved Wonder woman.

• 6d

So feminist propaganda was not blatant throughout Wonder Woman?

Haha!!!

They actually tell Diana she can't be in the war room because she is a woman.

• 3d

Okay I just read what she said and I'm assuming you're talking about the comments she made about the white male critics? I don't really see anything wrong with that statement tbh. And I really don't see how those comments would make anyone hate Captain Marvel, unless you were talking about something else she said. If you were talking about something else, post the link please I'd like to read it.

It seems as though you weren't paying attention to all those details in Captain marvel then if you think I made up what I said earlier because I'm definitely not the only one who saw the connection. I will admit though, it's been a while since I watched wonder woman and I don't remember the details so I may be giving it too much credit on being less feminist. But I can assure you, Captain Marvel was trying too hard to push the feminist propaganda and it could've made up for it if the story was better.

• 3d

All I can say to your first comment is "whatever".

I do not believe you.

As for the feminist overtones in Captain Marvel, they are nothing compared to WW. Even the scenes you submitted were questionable. Again, those are actual debates we have in American society every single day.

But no one should be making the claim that men are only capable of violence.

Yet, you are still talking about the two movies being equivalent somehow.

That is simply amazing.

• I want to say it was fun, it was not an amazing movie but it was enjoyable to watch. It is good for what it was. I really enjoyed her struggle to find her identity and own it.

• I knew it was gonna suck when i saw the trailer lmfoa

• Mhhm, I got bored of superhero movies a while ago.

It's the storytelling just isn't good.

• I saw it today... It SUCKED... Honestly it is average at best. and the worst movie in the MCU

• I don't even know who Captain Marvel is and I don't have any interested in those kind of movies.

• 0|0
    • Well, it wouldn't be a comic book "Dark Knight", but Bimbo Bree is making it worse for herself to be certain.

• It is hilarious how much this flick has upset so many folks at GaG.

techcrunch.com/.../

Captain Marvel, the latest superhero film from Disney’s Marvel franchise, is bringing home the bacon — to the tune of a $455 million box office total for the weekend.

The movie, Marvel’s first to be headlined exclusively by a female superhero, is off to the second largest global opening of any superhero movie behind Avengers: Infinity War and the sixth best global box officer premiere of all time.

• I try to avoid movies with bigoted actors and actresses in them.

• Did you know that the Cpt America actor is one as well?

• @ThisDudeHere Yup. I don't have problems with people with different political views, but when they start singling out entire groups based upon unavoidable characteristic because of issues with some people who also share those characteristics, then they are bigots.

It is an easy parse:

Old = unavoidable
      White = unavoidable
      Men = XY is unavoidable.

If we substitute other unavoidable traits, we will see just how bigoted it is.

examples:

Old Black Men

Young (any) men

Young (any) women

Old (any) women

• I think they purposely tried to hold back on captain Marvel. she will be awesome in Endgame.. better than this movie. they tried to make it mediocre on purpose

• I agree with your post. Yet I still thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

• First Deadpool was better than second Deadpool, in my humble opinion.

• Thanks for the review. I didn't want to see it and now I am doubly sure.

• I haven't seen it yet, but I will go see it. Thank you.

• 7d

This movie was trash. Stop defending it because internet feminists force you to. Wonder Woman was a millions times better.

• i didn't know that movie was trying to be funny. I thought it was a serious movie...

anyways the movie was meh

• Yeah, they should have focused on situational comedy. Not in trying to write one-liners. That was just stupid.

• The movie was great!

• I know it was. Just a mediocre movie. More hype than it was worth

• It's getting boring, why can't we go back to the love stories or is that just me...

Show More
27