Why corporal punishment (spanking etc) is bad for your child.

This take is for those who deny facts like @SarahVanRensburg (as she deleted my comment where I explained with my own experiences, and what professionals like scientists and doctors say about how smacking/spanking is bad on her question Does spanking your child make you a bad parent? ) and for the rest who is ignorant about this matter.

Knox, like many mental health professionals, cites a strong correlation between corporal punishment and child abuse, noting that…spanking is often the first step in the cycle of child abuse.”

The difference between physical punishment and physical abuse:

Physical punishment has been defined as “the use of physical force with the intention of causing a child to experience bodily pain or discomfort so as to correct or punish the child’s behavior” (Gershoff, 2008, p. 9). This includes: spanking, hitting, pinching, squeezing, paddling, whipping, ”whupping,” swatting, smacking, slapping, washing a child’s mouth with soap, making a child kneel on painful objects, and forcing a child to stand or sit in painful positions for long periods of time.

Physical abuse has been characterized by “the infliction of physical injury as a result of punching, beating, kicking, biting, burning, shaking, or otherwise harming a child” (Nat’l Clearinghouse on Child Abuse and Neglect, 2000, as cited in Gershoff, 2002, p. 540). Behaviors that cause pain but not physical injury are considered physical punishment, whereas behaviors that risk physical injury are termed physical abuse.

According to Gershoff, it's both bad and negatively affecting a child's development. Both physical punishment and physical abuse must be addressed and stopped. Alternatives exist which are more effective in enhancing the healthy development of children.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has just come out formally (2016) with statements that physical punishment is child abuse (p. 8) and that physical punishment should be banned (p. 46). This is a significant public health development.

Measurement research has supported the distinction between forms of corporal punishment that are relatively mild (e.g., spanking, slapping) and those more severe forms of physical aggression (e.g., physical assault) (Feigelman et al., 2009), each of which have been associated with distinct dysfunction later in life (e.g., Afifi et al., 2006).

I assume she deleted my comments, because she knows I am right, and here is why:

Corporal punishments increases a child's aggression:

“Spanking predicted increases in children’s aggression over and above initial levels [of aggressive behavior]” and “in none of these longitudinal studies did spanking predict reductions in children’s aggression over time” (p. 134). Instead, spanking predicted increases in children’s aggression (Gershoff, 2002; Gershoff & Grogan-Kaylor, 2013).

“Physical discipline, including spanking, is associated with increased aggressive behavior and lower self-esteem in children," says Brian Johnson, Professor of Counseling Psychology at the University of Northern Colorado and Co-author of WARNING SIGNS: How to Protect Your Kids from Becoming Victims or Perpetrators of Violence and Aggression. "Spanking models for children that using aggression is fine when one is upset or has a conflict. Spanking suppresses behavior quickly, but does not change it. Spanking also increases a child's anger, resentment, and desire to get revenge.""

“With each spanking, children experience physical pain as well as emotional pain as a sign that their parents don’t love them,”

I understood her.
I understood her.

Corporal punishment is ineffective:

The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, in a 2012 statement, concluded that: "Although corporal punishment may have a high rate of immediate behavior modification, it is ineffective over time, and is associated with increased aggression and decreased moral internalization of appropriate behavior."

"Within a few minutes, children are often back to their original behavior. It certainly doesn’t teach children self-regulation," Sege told NBC News.

“The effects of corporal punishment were transient: within 10 minutes, most children (73 percent) had resumed the same behavior for which they had been punished.”

Not only does hitting kids do little good; it can worsen their long-term behavior.

“Children who experience repeated use of corporal punishment tend to develop more aggressive behaviors, increased aggression in school, and an increased risk of mental health disorders and cognitive problems,” Sege said in a statement.

Alan Kazdin, the director of the Yale Parenting Center and a former president of the American Psychological Association, has called spanking “a horrible thing that does not work,”

Corporal punishment, impulsiveness, anti-social behavior and violence:

In 2011, the National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners (NAPNA) issued a statement noting that: "Corporal punishment (CP) is an important risk factor for children developing a pattern of impulsive and antisocial behavior…[and] children who experience frequent CP… are more likely to engage in violent behaviors in adulthood."

Children spanked when they were as young as 15 months old displayed negative temperament and were less likely to show positive behaviors in the fifth grade and even into their teenage years, researchers at the University of Missouri say.

Verbal aggression can easily escalate into physical violence. Kids copy this behaviour and become aggressive sociopaths themselves. The Bobo doll experiment, created by Albert Bandura in 1961, proved that kids would copy any adult role model's behavior.

Other studies have found children who are corporally punished also experience academic problems in schools and cognitive deficits and were more likely to be violent toward women later in life.

Note that anti-social behavior is linked to cluster B.

Dr Catherine A Taylor (of Tulane University) and colleagues concluded in a 2010 review that: "Evenminor forms of corporal punishment, such as spanking, increase risk for increased child aggressive behavior."

Corporal punishment increases the risk of depression:

"Spanking naughty children increases their risk of depression and becoming hooked on illegal drugs, a new study confirms," the Mail Online reports.

''People who reported smacking were more likely to report having symptoms of depression, moderate to heavy drinking, street drug use, or having attempted suicide than those who didn't report having been smacked as a child.

Reports of child physical or emotional abuse were also linked with these outcomes.''

''It can lead to low self-esteem, brain damage, attention disorders and substance abuse, states the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. It can lead to poor social skills, anxiety and depression when children reach adulthood.''

“Spanking really damages the parent-child relationship. It encourages the child to fear the parent as opposed to respecting the parent.”

Corporal punishment and development:

''The research clearly shows that spanking is related to an increased likelihood of many poor health, social and developmental outcomes. These poor outcomes include mental health problems, substance use, suicide attempts and physical health conditions along with developmental, behavioral, social and cognitive problems.

Equally important, there are no research studies showing that spanking is beneficial for children.

Those who say spanking is safe for a child if done in a specific way are, it would seem, simply expressing opinions. And these opinions are not supported by scientific evidence.''

More: https://www.verywellfamily.com/is-spanking-children-a-good-way-to-discipline-1094756

https://luvabi.wordpress.com/2015/08/09/spanking-lowers-your-childs-self-esteem/

Corporal punishment and intelligence:

Research from the University of New Hampshire even shows that spanking children affects their intelligence. A study presented in 2009 showed that kids who had parents that spanked had lower IQs four years later when compared to kids who were not spanked.

Experts theorize that this is because stress levels impact a child’s ability to learn and retain information, and a child who is spanked has higher stress and anxiety levels as they fear when they might be harmed next.

A 1998 study by Murray A. Straus and Mallie J. Paschall, titled "Corporal Punishment by Mothers and Child's Cognitive Development," revealed that children who were spanked were less able to keep up with the cognitive development level expected for their age. It can even lower their IQ, notes Psychology Today. Spanking can reduce a child's brain's grey matter, which is crucial since it influences learning abilities.

Spanking erodes developmental growth in children and decreases a child's IQ, a recent Canadian study shows.

Corporal punishments and Cluster B:

Inappropriate disciplinary techniques (such as corporal punishment), especially combined with inadequate emotional bonding with the parents, can result in children developing sociopathic tendencies.

The data documenting the associations between physical punishment and psychopathology and sociopathy are compelling. They can no longer be overlooked. Pioneering research has been conducted in this area over the past decade by Gershoff, Bitensky, Straus, Holden, Durrant, and others.

In this “parent effects model” negative parenting style is believed to influence a child’s antisocial behavior (Collins, Maccoby, Steinberg, Hetherington, & Bornstein, 2000; Maccoby, 2000; Moffitt, 2005). The few studies that have examined the relationship between parenting style and psychopathic personality have found evidence for an association between parenting style and children’s later psychopathic personality during adulthood.

''In addition, punitive discipline of all forms including physical punishment is also a predictor of antisocial risk (Farrington, 2007).

Sociopathy, as opposed to psychopathy, is the product of poor upbringing or environmental factors, rather than genetic ones; such environmental factors result in a very low sense of morality or conscience (Lykken, 2003).

The mind of an individual with psychopathy is organically configured such that he/she does not interact with society in expected ways, but for reasons related to neurological differences, whereas a sociopathic individual’s mind has learned how not to behave in socially acceptable ways.''

Lykken (1995) also stated that Sociopath reflects the socially learned aspect of these behaviors typically as a result of bad parenting whereas the Psychopath is believed to have been born that way.

Research has demonstrated that children who are abused physically or who are neglected tend to grow into offenders themselves. (Farrington, 2007).

Corporal Punishment

I end this with, banning corporal punishment is good for society:

Youth around the world are less violent where corporal punishment is banned, according to an analysis of data from 88 countries, territories and protectorate states published Monday in the health journal BMJ.
"Societies that have these bans in place appear to be safer places for kids to grow up in," said lead study author Frank Elgar, an associate professor in the Institute for Health and Social Policy at McGill University in Montreal.

More: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/228152714_Banning_Child_Corporal_Punishment

Discipline means teaching, and sometimes that involves modeling behavior," such as using words to express disagreement and talking things out to find a solution, says Gershoff.

Conclusion.

These are the most important consequences of corporal punishment. There are more consequences like misanthropy, asocial, etc. There is literally no single benefit to hit your child. This isn't a matter of being a 'snowflake' as Sarah mentioned in her post, this is a matter of being mentally sane. People who use or would use corporal punishments towards their kids are bad parents and don't deserve to be parents at all. They're no better than anti-vaccination mothers. They're both damaging their child.

Yesterday I made a poll about how people would rather be punished as a child, and most people agreed with me that they prefer to be lectured and explained why it is wrong rather than corporal punished or emotionally punished. So why would we use corporal punishments for our kids? It isn't even slightly effective, but seriously damaging.

Some of you who had to face corporal punishments may say that you turned just out fine. I used to say the same, because I didn't know about the consequences nor realized that many of my traits are directly the result of the past. That was until I started my major and we had a whole course about bad parenting which includes spanking and anything I mentioned up, I realized I was left with the consequences, including certain cluster B traits. I don't want to go in the details, but before I realized it was linked to my childhood, I was already aware of who I was, I got worse with the time, soon enough I realized I wasn't normal and was going the wrong way but I never knew why, it took me years and so much effort to lessen certain traits which may have caused damage to others. My moral sense was surprisingly strong (maybe that had to do with my love for knowledge (it was my escape)) I knew I was becoming worse, my thoughts and everything was pretty terrifying.

You could just be not realizing it affected you in a way.

By the way, I study human development, my major highly discourages corporal punishment towards children and stand with that it should be banned.

If you still think corporal punishment is good after reading this, then :

A. You shouldn't have kids.

B. According to psychology, it's called cognitive dissonance which means: ''the mental discomfort (psychological stress) experienced by a person who holds two or more contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values. This discomfort is triggered by a situation in which a person’s belief clashes with new evidence perceived by the person. When confronted with facts that contradict beliefs, ideals, and values, people will find a way to resolve the contradiction to reduce their discomfort.''

C. Castration/sterilization would do you good.

The Canadian Paediatric Society, “strongly discourages [original emphasis] the use of physical punishment on children, including spanking.”

The American Academy of Pediatrics cautions that “corporal punishment is of limited effectiveness and has potentially deleterious side effects,”

@Pauliho I love you.

817

Most Helpful Guys

• I don’t know why some people still believe physical punishment in this manner is beneficial to the child. These individuals are either still stuck in a time where this was normal or do not know the literature behind these methods and their implications to the physical and mental well being of a child. Now, teaching lessons through physical adversity IS a beneficial thing for a child. Pushing through discomfort to accomplish a task, never giving up until the task is done, no matter how long it takes, can be uber valuable to a child’s character development. There’s ways to sit down with your child and lay out a process for correcting their behavior. Positive reinforcement, negative reinforcement, rewards, incentives, etc. are all words associated with the methods I’m talking about. Telling why your child should do something, how they can do it, in an intelligent fashion is the way to go. There’s many ways that work, but physical punishment, the corporal punishment sort should be abandoned. This isn’t being soft on your kids, it’s being smart.

• And yes, I was physically scolded by my father growing up, and thankfully it didn’t have any significant effects on my mental or physical well being, but I’m 100% convinced he could’ve used better methods that would’ve probably made me realize my problems and solved them using a better method. I think he was just reacting angrily/emotionally, not trying to teach me something

• Most parents who use corporal punishment, do so out of emotion and anger, not because they’re trying to teach.

• THIS! It's not about corporeal punishment in anger, but as a thoughtfully calculated teaching tool.

• Spanking is not any physical abuse, and if we speak about physical abuse, then rising your voice is psychological abuse, and giving an order to your child is abusive as well.

Sorry if you believe 100% in scientific evidence. Those studies are never that accurate or objective, they always are influenced by the mindset of the ones who develop it (unconsciously), and in many cases, those studies follow a political agenda. For instance, even though is true we are all accelerating climate change, the studies which support it has political influence.

• I am not saying spanking would be my first option, it would be one of my last actually. Kids are not adults, not all rethink what they do after speaking with an authoritative voice to them. Some are less sensitive, and if a spank don't work, a clinical psychologist would be my last option.

• @Spongebob1528 I respect your point of view. Thanks for sharing yours. I hope I never have to spank my kids when I get to be dad, in fact I would explore other alternatives before even doing so, and if I couldn't do it at all due to the law, I simply wouldn't. Respecting the law is important to.

• Good👍🏻

Most Helpful Girl

• Good Mytake! You said facts with a lot of proof and sources. People want to have excuses for their stupid behavior so they can hit their children. Hopefully people at least understand its bad but people will do what they want. I persobally would never hit children period. There are many other ways that are way better to teach what's good and bad.

Some people can't handle facts sadly lol. So some people will just keep doing stuff when it's proof it just makes things worse.

• Like you can see in the comment many people can't handle facts. I hope those people grow up and stop finding excuses for their behavior. Some people actually think they know better then facts because of their experience😂😂😂. Stupid people make me laugh! Anyways at least some people use logic.

Join the discussion

715
  • no spanking and physical punishment is not bad for any child, however each child is different, and while i as a father to 3 sons had had to physically discipline each of my kids, that choice was NEVER made lightly...
    instead it was always used as a last resort, each of my sons' had 3 warnings and punishment always fit the crime...
    if it was a mild infraction then no physical punishment was required, if it was life threatening or they hurt physically, others then if depending what the reasons were... depended on whether or not they was smacked...
    but most "do gooders" who are so against physical discipline, dont even have kids or haven't experienced a difficult child, whereby nothing worked...
    and they assume that physical discipline is abuse... but they do not understand that physical abuse and physical discipline are 2 very different things..
    discipline, you set your punishment and if using physical means you smack once, with just enough force to be able to make the punishment known, but not so that you cause damage... but with no emotion, no anger and no pleasure from the disciplinarian, punishment should be fair but firm... this doesn't cause emotional damage.. contrary to what many believe...
    the physical abuse is what a parent/guardian of a child punishes and loses control.. when emotions are clearly present during the decision of the punishment and teh execution of said punishment... some people get a kick out of beating, and of emotional abuse too...
    they get to enjoy it which that emotion is projected onto the child who then assumes that is teh right way to do things... or they lose control and continue to hit repeatedly...

a smack should only need once, and only then as i said before... in a calm and controlled manner...
    my kids came to me and told me they hated being punished but they knew that each time they were punished, it was cos they did something wrong... and only ever if they deserved it..

• @Spongebob1528 And there's a difference between corporal punishment and physical abuse; you just won't acknowledge it. And neither do the so-called "studies" you cite.

• @taleswapper I totally agree, pity some people are so blinded by their inability to actually think realistically to understand the facts from the propaganda they peddle...
      and when people like her have no experience in either raising children nor in abuse how can she truly say she is justified in knowing what the difference between abuse and punishment truly is...

• The problem, as your quotes so obviously point out, is that ALL of these studies start by conflating corporal punishment with abuse. So of course they find a correlation. It's an obvious case of assuming your conclusion, and therefore none of your sources are objective. regardless what the credentials of those conducting the study, the bias in their methodology is evident.

• Her sources are from real reaserches so that's not accurate to say for your part. But if you belive in abusive Children then thats on you I won't support it tho

• @Spongebob1528 You don't have to say you're a liberal; it's obvious by the way you construct your argument. And I did check above; you just ignored it because it didn't fit your meme.

• I'm not American doesn't work that way. And you can't tell by how I argue.

Now beleive whatever you want I have given facts so what's the point. I'm not wasting my time with you anymore. Have a Nice day, Bye!

• As a person who grew up with that and seeing what it has done to my family as well as myself and self-esteem. I 100% agree with this as well as the scientific findings behind it because I started noticing two patterns that was destructive emotionally mentally psychologically and spiritually for myself. And that has to do with what was being taught from my grandmother all the way to my call the side of the family because that was all they were taught. And now many if not most of my cousins are not psychologically healthy either and now even the younger cousins of mine are suffering because of this. This is not healthy. And I don't care what they want to try to stay and try to use the Bible verse about using the rod. God and I tell you to go using a physical Rogers to hurt your child. If you cannot learn to have patience and Guidance with your children, the maybe you should not be having children. Yes, sadly there are some people that are born rebellious and they do need a smack once or twice. But that should be limited to those who do that. Not as soon all children I'm going to be that way. Parents need to learn to have empathy and respect for the children otherwise our children are not going to have respect for them. It is choice to be obedient and it's a choice to be disobedient. There are some children like me who understood some degree of right and wrong. But there are others that still needs patience and love most of all to grow into healthy well-rounded adults.

• Teaching through pain worked on my cousins, they were spanked and beaten by their mothers, I've seen it many times when we were kids. And now they are rich, good looking engineers, popular with girls, they love their family, they especially respect their mothers. They are very responsible about all the family duties, they are always in charge of organizing the big family gatherings on the holidays and various occasions and they always invite us, and I hated going because I'm not comfortable around their hot gfs but my parents kept nagging me to go. Tbh I never really like engineers but I have to admit they are important in our society and in our family (they fix electrical stuffs, they bought a nice house for our grandparents, and while I look up to my cousins, I also dislike them at the same time because they think I'm weird and need help because I studied category theory when I was 17 instead of going to their parties and get laid) They always try to help other relatives, they wanted to help me with an internship in SF bay, but I was like no thanks I only do theoretical research, not software ~~codemonkeying~~ engineering :))

That was my experience, here's more: corporal punishment seems to work quite well for all the families I know from the countryside. But it doesn't seem to work on city kids at all, like me. My dad used to hit me too, (not as frequently as in my cousin's case of course), only like when I did something really wrong when I was nine, or when I got into drugs later. But I was always defiant, I was never scared of him, and I also got into our country's Physics Olympiad team, (from that point he stopped hitting me and let me fix my own mess). My parents realized they couldn't be the ones to guide me, because some kids just don't listen to reason, some kids just let their base instincts control everything. Fortunately I always found my own way in the end. This was the difference, my cousins actually consider their parents an authority, while I always had a contempt for authority figures. (But I don't know why I always have respect for Paul Halmos, I was a big fan of his)

So in the end I'm not an engineer, I'm not rich (yet) and my relationship with my parents is complicated, much more complicated and less traditional than in my cousins' family.

• Rather odd coincidence that when the societal dislike of spanking took effect thirty years ago, the generation that grew up largely without it is also the most entitled pieces of shit on the planet (millennials).

Needless violence is, of course, bad, but physical reprimands are often warranted because it is naive to assume that a young human has the mental capacity to analyze their mistakes via critical-thought.

• the problem with millenials is that they aren'tpunished in any way, not that they weren't beaten... They are allow to do lots of stuff which previous generations had to be careful about openly showing: alcohol/sex/etc. Maybe some parents still don't think that is great, but if you spent some time here a lot of people said they would be ok with their teens having sex as long as it'sdone with all the precautions taken.

Also, nowadays you are encouraged to express your opinion about anything and the internet is useful in doing so. In the past people could express their frustration or talk as easily about stuff. Milenials have access to a lot moreinformation and can communicate more freely. Probably there were plenty of people who would get offended by anything in the past too, but you just couldn't see them as often. Not everyone had the courage to go into the streets and complain about something.

• I am sorry, but all those charts and reports mean nothing. You want to say spanking a child is going to turn them into Charles Manson or Jeffrey Dahlmer.. There is a major difference between abuse and punishment. I grew up in the day when you knew better than to smart off to your parents, or be rude to the fat lady next door with 100 cats. You did your chores, respected your elders and did what you were told with no eye rolling or smart remarks. If we even thought of being disrespectful we got a good smack upside the head. If you were really naughty, dads belt came off. These studies you show, state it makes a child fear their parents.. I never once feared my parents. I sure as hell feared getting a smack upside the head or a good swat with the belt. It made me respect the fact that if I did something wrong, I would pay for it. All this crap of time out and telling your child " now honey mommie and daddy don't like your behavior, please be a sweety and stop" Yeah right. Those kids are now juvenile delinquents and running the streets snatching old ladies purses and not giving up their seats on the city bus. I personally have spanked my kids given them a good smack when needed. I have taken things away, I have given them extra chores, I have forbid them from going places. Guess what? My kids are very respectful, they help others and would NEVER think to be disrespectful to anyone that didn't deserve it.

• Who says it's bad? Look sat all the assholes we have today that think they can get away with ANYTHING because they won't get punished for it!

Billy, why did you kill your mother?
    She wouldn't put butter on my toast!
    Just for that, you're going to sit in a chair in the corner ALONE for a WHOLE TWO MINUTES!!! Then we're going to go get some ice cream.

• Okay, no. If you spank your kid to keep them from running into the street then it's okay. Connecting negative feelings and emotions with an action make them less likely to do it. There is a fine line between discipline and child abuse, a few spankings over the years for severe behaviour is perfectly okay. Some kids have to learn by that because stern talking tos don't work

• I'm glad my opinion on the prior post of this subject was included in this, shows you agree with my points ^_^

• "Why corporal punishment is bad for your child"

For every fucking reason imaginable.
    Anyone who hits their children is an absolute waste of human life.

• I don't know I once called my mom a bitch in high school and I got slapped so hard in the face that I hit the floor and had my ears ringing. I never once thought to cuss at her again. I’m doing just fine in my life.

• I’m just confused about why people want to hit their kids so badly 🤷🏾‍♀️ Makes me think they get a kick out of it.

Anyways good take ☺️❤️

• Well. This is the best written myTake I read here. 👍

• It is, if you'd spank your child he won't do wrong things in front of you but later when you're not with them they'll do it. They're not convinced what they did Is wrong they're just afraid

• I dunno hey. I think anything that's so general (one size fits all) can be a problem. Being a girl mom - I didn't have to even raise my voice with my daughter. My son was a different story. He had so. e physical (not mental) developmental issues which caused me to spoil him a bit. He got very insolent and manipulative (spoilt) as a result. He even failed a grade (st 5 because he didn't listen to a single instruction) I didn't want to originally but his dad eventually took to giving him a whack on the bum when it got too much. Much to my shock - he actually corrected his behavior. Mind - it left no bruises and while it probably stung... I dont know if it crossed into full pain threshold. All I can say is it worked and I tried everything else...🤷‍♀️

• Let me ask you a simple question. Once you've tried to reason your child, to make him stop whatever stupid stuff he's doing, or the tantrum he's throwing because you're not spoiling him, and it didn't work...

What are you going to do? Give him what he wants? Let him scream and destroy stuff and annoy people around?
    Truth is you're basing it on recent studies, all done in an era where we consider that we shouldn't even give bad grades to children, or even shout at them if they aren't behaving well. We're living in a "child-king" era where any limit set at a child is seen as abuse.

• People don’t seem to understand that there’s a huge difference between fear and respect

• I don't understand why people bring research and google links in everything.
    Its just that they have not done that work and are not supposed to believe it so easily.

Anything done for a child is good if the way is proper.
    Punishment is a way of discipline, when done too much child may suffer or become more bastard. If not done, child gets the no limit freedom of enjoyment.

The important thing is our child is our blood, they tend to become more like us.
    And those teens or non parents who think beating/punishing a child is bad, shld share such thoughts & opinions after Becoming a parent and experiencing it.

You can't just make something up and stick to it unless you know it properly from all sides.
    Dont fall for anything from Internet!

• And dont opt for revenge or argument just coz somebody didn't acknowledged you. Thats the attention you are trying to get.

• And you get to decide what is accurate for you, not others lol.
      They live their own little life making correct decisions..

• That's the kind of attention people seek to prove that their point is valid.
      By unnecessarily jumping at others, especially the ones who are not matured yet or know half and imagined other half by themselves...

Guess what !
      Nobody cares...

• Good mytake

• These toddlers need a good beating or they'll become hoes or end in jail

• beating no, a justified and controlled smack if calm and only as a last resort, yes... but a beating is a big no no

• Today's kids and young people are so much more disrespectful and unruly (and violent) than kids of the past, so none of this seems to ring true.

The fact is that, like anything else in life, corporal punishment can be done well, or poorly. The same can be said for pretty much any component of parenting.

There are some kids who respond well and benefit greatly from occasional well-administered spanking. And it pisses me off to no end that there are some liberals who are so arrogant as to believe they know better than a child's parents do how their kids should be parented.

• There can’t be any conclusive scientific evidence for or against spanking as there are too many variables. Using children in a controlled study to get these results is unethical.
    There is a huge difference between spanking and child abuse.