How I overcome depression. My advice to you!

I keep seeing people telling us how we should help people with depression. It's ok if you don't want any help and chose to argue with me. I don't just use my heart to take care of someone but I use my brain too. Take it or leave it but before you start telling me your stories, I just wanna say sorry to hear about those. Anyways I don't lecture anyone who don't need help. Lets start with my experiences first.

My Experiences

I had depression for a long time till I realize how stupid I was brooding about the past when there's nothing I can do about it but to think about the future, think about how young I am and think about how long life is for me to enjoy instead. I live in a corrupt 3rd world country where there are broke people around. Just learned to be thankful regardless. I'm living under a roof when all those times I've been suicidal because my parent's can't take care of me properly, getting abused and left me when I was only 4 then left with my strict grand parents who won't let me do anything while being bullied at school. It took me a long time to reassure because I had issues with adults that time so I couldn't open up but I did when I was about 14 when I nearly died when someone shot me at my upper right back. I was lucky to survive indeed. I woke up and I saw them caring so that's when I told them about my issues and not wanting to live anymore. I told them everything and that's when the supports started but I declined since I my issues wasn't really over. Thinking about it tho, reminds me of how I had a lot of ego causing me to have issues and it took me 6 years to reassure when I started to think it would be a shame thinking about how bad my life is when my neighbors who only eats canned goods and rice always wanted to live in an actual house as a goal. So I asked myself. What do I want? Right now, I wanna get out of here and migrate as a retired person as early as I can. The point there is that there's always opportunity but it doesn't have to be that way. Maybe someday someone will offer you help and be your good friend. Right now I'm still in pain physically, broke to have it treated but that's not stopping me anymore. Soon I'll earn more to have it treated and it will be worth it.

Depression overall

I wouldn't say it's disorder. It would be considered a disorder if you're not aware you're depressed and in denial about it. But I would say it's more of a bad habit. Bad habit of thinking negative. There are going to be diagnostics that the doctor will say like you lack serotonin or you aren't really producing enough but looking at the cause of it. It's caused by depression caused by the bad habit of thinking negative. "Depression is not a choice" but it is your choice to do something about it. It doesn't matter who caused it. It's your responsibility to stop that bad habit and to scold yourself. Don't attack yourself. It's just like when smokers are addicted to smoking which is a bad habit but they complain about their tuberculosis getting worse and worse, justifying it's a disorder and they can't stop so it's their choice to let it be and face their own consequences. I know there are some of you who's not gonna accept it and start attacking me for it. You can go a head continue believing depression is genetic and incurable just because that's what some people tell you and will be that way.

How to over come it?

All the regrets and the bad things you've done in the past, forget about it. But how? Think. What are you gonna do about your bad past? Sorry to say but there's nothing you can do to change time so instead of thinking about it, why not make your future an excitement while you still can. Do some exercises and take something that boosts your serotonin and get your adrenalin pumping for starters. Doesn't matter how old you are. "Life is too short" If you're familiar with that, I don't believe that since there are many things you can do in a day which there are 7 of it in a week, 28-31 in a month, 365 in a year, 3650 in a decade and so on. Stating the obvious fact but for you to realize how long it actually is but it's still run out eventually and you don't know when. So there are plenty more things you can look forward to and dream big. Stop being satisfied. The facts wouldn't really matter if your goals are big enough. The fact that you think you're "no good", "useless", "ugly" or you're depressed. I'm not saying it's easy but it is very possible. But hardships are basically becoming normal so you don't have to wish for life to be easier. Wish for yourself to be better. Just keep believing and always start with step #1. Start with yourself and when you learn to love yourself, you'll love other people while ignoring your haters who try to bring you down. You support them, open up, they support you and at the end, you'll get plenty of respects. Many haters too but they won't matter anymore. Remember to focus on your goals and write it down.

How to focus?

There are lots of distractions these days that keeps us away from our goals like social medias and G@G. I have to admit G@G is really distracting me but I just have time for it. It's just like when kids are being told to focus at school but they aren't even taught how. To focus they need to meditate. "How to meditate?" Time yourself. Set a timer 10 minutes. Sit comfortably and think nothing. Focus on your breathing. If you broke your concentration like you've thought of something, reset the time and do it again. Keep practicing. You can start with only 3 minutes. That's how you focus. To think I should've made a my take about this but it's fine.

To let you understand

I'm sorry I may sound a little harsh but that's how I care about people and truth can be harsh so it's not to be taken personally so it is hard for me to say it is partly our fault and we have to do your part. "I've tried everything but nothing works" You can be trying for the sake of just trying without giving fate on yourself. Trying because I said so? Don't. Try it because it's what you feel is right. I'm not saying you should follow every of my advice but follow your guts. I'm not someone who just tells them to suck it up and tell them it's all in their head without even explaining anything. I'm not someone who tells you to do this and that. But..

There's only one main advice

Make a goal then follow your instincts.

11
9

Most Helpful Guys

• Aysen

After reading through your MyTake, most people around your age would have become insane/suicidal from a lack of support and living in an uncontrollable environment where they feel hopeless. I admire you for believing in yourself and not giving in to depression, even if it took 6 years to do so because depression is not easy to tackle, especially on your own! If we don't take accountability for our depression and be proactive about it to make a difference in the way we think, we'll end up in that loop of depression, no matter how much support we get because we are the only ones that can change how we feel, not medication or anyone else.

I believe one of the problems people face today regarding this subject is believing things won't get better and they accept the reality that it won't get better so they simply give up and cope with depression instead. Sometimes, the events we face on a daily basis do bring us discomfort that's out of our control and it's up to us on how we deal with it. Doing exercises, mediating, doing a self-reflection; all of these are proactive ways to get yourself back on track and away from depression as you stated which I agree with because I used to be stuck with depression as well. I like what you mentioned here and I'd advise it to anyone who's looking for a place to start! You're right; depression is not easy to break away from but once you do and have that end goal of what you'll do to counteract the depression, you'll feel a whole lot better about yourself! Thank you so much for sharing your experience of hardships with us and for being someone who wants to make a positive difference in their life, instead of living passively through it :)

1 likes
    • This is what i called brainwashing yourself. I wouldn't do what most doctors do that would be considered marketing.

• The reason why i don't really believe in articles about depression from psychologist is because i do marketing myself and thinking about it just makes me think it's a quackery. I mean they are only useful for head starts not for permanent treatment.

• Now if i open my own psychology clinic, i would never teach them anything about this but tell them to come back anytime. Soon i would open one because psychology is my passion but i'm not going to involve marketing into it. Is just like not telling anyone there's a cheaper product that functions almost the same. Soon by the way just for fun when i get successful not needing that much money anymore.

• AmANiceGuy

Man, I totally get it. I was way too depressed about how my life is and started overthinking everything. But I eventually understood that "life is too short" and I shouldn't be losing my valuable time by being depressed. Then I started to try to be less depressed and as per now, I am no more a depressed teen. I am "fine".

• It's not really short. Read this again ""Life is too short" If you're familiar with that, I don't believe that since there are many things you can do in a day which there are 7 of it in a week, 28-31 in a month, 365 in a year, 3650 in a decade and so on. Stating the obvious fact but for you to realize how long it actually is but it's still run out eventually and you don't know when. So there are plenty more things you can look forward to and dream big."

Most Helpful Girls

• That was amazingg! Loved it! May God bless you! Better days are always coming. ❤ I have been through depression myself and know how one feels like going through it.

2 likes
    • Thanks so much 😊❤

• Np 🤗

• That was so sweet of you. True strength lies in dealing with problems and being more compassionate for having had the experience. :)
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      🌟 🌟 Free book: "Woman to Women" @ smashwords. com/books/view/938595 🌟 🌟

• Lilypad1223

Great take, sorry for all you’ve been through, proud of you for overcoming it.

1 likes
    • Thanks. :) Honestly I agree with some of those "hurtful" ways to support but only I care enough to elaborate and listen. It may hurt but I don't want my friends to be comfortable but I have to let them understand but I still preach them tho. This illustration shows EQ and IQ. I'm a mixture of both but more on EQ. How I overcome depression. My advice to you

• I agree, you can’t coddle everyone forever. Sometimes you have to give them that extra little push, even if it hurts. I had anxiety really bad when I was a younger teenager and if my mom had coddled me there’s no way I would have gotten better.

• Yeah and that's what makes sociopaths who don't listen. They get so use to people preaching them. Also I'm glad you hanged in there *Hugs you*

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

97
  • i think everyone's path out of depression is different. there are different kinds of depression and i've seen medication help some people. trying your best to live a healthy lifestyle is the first step in diagnosing yourself. you can rule out any deficiencies that way and focus on the mind.

1 likes
    • Like what I said. "There are going to be diagnostics that the doctor will say like you lack serotonin or you aren't really producing enough but looking at the cause of it. It's caused by depression caused by the bad habit of thinking negative." The doctors will prescribe you any treatment but those are just treatments. They don't tell you to practice thinking positive as a new habit

• if thinking positive is the answer, is depression even real?

• It is but it's always caused by something

• Pinay_ako

Kahilakon ko ani in my opinion gisulat ba. But I am happy for you to have a goal and fighting the negativity around you... Keep your head up and keep swimming to your goal

1 likes
    • Hehe ayg hilak hehe. Lamat! ☺️

• Pinay_ako

LOL artistahon man gd ko. Maau naa naka sa maaung lugar? Are you?

• I guess.

• btbc92

What you said is sadly something that a lot of people don't want to take responsibility for knowing. Excellent my take.

1 likes
    • Yes. They're get entitled because of their depression. They refuse to acknowledge.

• I mean i am talking about sociopaths. I'm not saying that depressed people are like that. Some listen and they make me proud. I only praise them if they listen and that should encourage them. I don't praise them first to become comfortable.

• btbc92

What you're actually doing is exactly what it's called the right kind of parenting skills. Many people probably don't understand the difference between giving Comfort versus letting a person learn their own lesson. Instead, they're too busy coddling them. It doesn't matter if they're depressed or not. What matters is that if they acknowledge that they have a problem they should seek help one way or another to fix it if it's beyond their control to fix it.

• janna_jcb

I’m sorry you had to go through that.

I don’t agree with your take though. This might help for a few people with depression, but it won’t help most. Depression is an hormonal disorder in the brain. You’re literally not making happy hormones so you can’t feel happiness, just thinking positively is not going to make that go away. Improving habits will help a bit, but please visit a doctor or a psychologist if you think you’re depressed.

1 likes
    • "but please visit a doctor or a psychologist if you think you’re depressed." As what I've said here "There are going to be diagnostics that the doctor will say like you lack serotonin or you aren't really producing enough but looking at the cause of it. It's caused by depression caused by the bad habit of thinking negative." I'm not someone who just tells anyone to think positive without even giving any elaborations. The doctors will prescribe you any treatment but those are just treatments. They don't tell you to practice thinking positive as a new habit and not teaching you how step by step. Saying it's an incurable mental disorder because that's a marketing strategy.

• So what if the doctor say it's a hormonal disorder? "Caused by what?" <-- ask yourself that. There are going to be treatments prescribed so take it for starters. I'm not saying don't trust doctors. They do help but they don't tell you everything.

• janna_jcb

I know that is why I said that what you are recommending might help some, but not everyone. Usually it is medication in combination with therapy that gets people through it.

• smg99

One suggestion it’s strange but it works ; not conventional either.
    Go to an Indian grocery store and buy the ‘pickle’ hibiscus cannibinus , called gongkura.

Next have unsweetened cacao nibs In smoothie or dark organic hot chocolate as your next follow up drink to coffee.

It inspires and lessens instantly any emotional ramifications of depression and is in a way non clinical adjunctive and cognitive stimulation.

Trust me this is magic at its best ;)

• That's the part of the medication and lifestyle I'm talking about. But i only talking about exercises and i forgot to talk about what food to eat.

• Also talking about responsibility and it is our responsibility to research about those

• smg99

No problem this actually isn’t listed anywhere in any references. It’s ancient medicine.

• goaded

This article I read recently came to mind.

How a bench and a team of grandmothers can tackle depression

www.BBC.com/.../20181015-how-one-bench-and-a-team-of-grandmothers-can-beat-depression

• genericname85

i highly suggest you also try the Wim Hof method of meditation and a healthy diet and sleep schedule. depression can often be expresssion of inflammation processes within the body. a lot of aspects of depression are physiological in nature. of course psychological aspects do also matter.

• Im struggling to leave the house and sleep lots that's how i know im depressed. Im working on improving that. Thank you for your honest account

1 likes
  • xpistol

Wise words u say, Thank you. Stop letting the past destroy our future. Maybe if I had stopped looking back for all these years my future wouldn't be how it is now.

• BornToDiee

I am sorry for what you went through. I hope you're better now. Thank you for the advices.🙂

1 likes
  • tyepo

Aiko man I respect you and your take 👍

1 likes
  • Secretgardenblood

Good take

1 likes
  • Thank you for this advice

1 likes
  • CT_CD

Thank you

1 likes
  • zxcded

Seek God

• Anonymous

GOD is above the dome what the heck do I need to worry about