8 Reasons Why "Blood Is Not Thicker Than Water"

Blood Is Thicker Than Water" Debunked

Hi guys and girls. I hope your day is going fantastic! In this MyTake, I will be covering 8 reasons why the saying "blood is thicker than water" is emotionally and psychologically untrue and unsupported. This saying is the idea that "relationships and loyalties within a family are the strongest and most important ones." The origin of the saying comes from โ€œThe blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb.โ€ This actually means that "blood shed in battle bonds soldiers more strongly than simple genetics." Today we have evolved the saying to the strength of family ties. It is very interesting how this saying had been interpreted over the years. So I will debunk the current saying for 8 different reasons. If you would like any follow up mytakes please leave feedback. Please share your story in the comments section if you like๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿ‘‡

Warning: This Article May Be Triggering For Some, Please Take Care Of Yourself If You Become Triggered After Reading. Please Utilize This myTake If Negative Thoughts Come Up.

How To Rid Yourself Of Cognitive Distortions

Let's get started:

1. Destroys Self Esteem

"Why Are You Trying To Hurt Me?"

Self Esteem is one of the most important things we all need in high doses. Having self esteem improves anxiety, depression, and encourages transitional development as we age. Self Esteem can also increase ones confidence. With confidence you feel powerful, capable, and worthy. So if you have a relative that is constantly butchering your self esteem and confidence then don't ignore it. Relatives have creative ways of getting under our skin to manipulate our thoughts and feelings. Has a relative ever called you derogatory names? Do you have a relative that dismisses your accolades and achievements? Has a relative ever made you feel inadequate or less than? You should not ever excuse this behavior or condone it simply because of biological relation. If someone is toxic they are toxic regardless of blood.

2. Physical /Sexual Abuse

"Family Can Hurt You Most"

Physical abuse in the household is not something anyone wants to talk about but it happens. About five children die everyday from child abuse. 1:3 girls and 1:5 boys will be sexually abused but the age of 18. 90% of child abuse victims know their offender. 68% of cases filed for abuse say that these children were abuse by a family member. Approximately 2.9 million cases of child abuse are reported annually. With these numbers I hope it is apparent that just because someone is "family" does not excuse such atrocious behavior. It is important not to make excuses for their behavior and to not blame yourself for the malicious acts of another. The truth is that not all of your relatives are going to protect you or even support you. So speak your truth and do not condone or excuse physically abusive behavior.

3. Sabotage

"Why Do You Wish Me To Fail?"

Sabotage is never fun. Sabotage happens when someone intentionally destroys, damages, or obstructs you from your wishes, dreams, and wants. For example, does your relatives tend to always give bad or destructive advice? Do they try to intentionally tell you positive things while actively trying to destroy your character in the background? Do they spread gossip? Has a family member stolen your identity or money? Has a family member ever taken advantage of you? Relatives are sometimes closest to you, which is why they can sabotage your life easier than anyone else. Would you make this relationship a priority just because their "family"?

4. Takes Advantage

"Stop Taking Advantage Of Me"

You can be taken advantage of by anyone but your relatives do it the most. They know you, your background, and probably your finances. They will take any opportunity to get ahead and that usually involves someone taking advantage of your kindness. Has a relative ever overstayed their welcome when you let them stay on your couch? Has a relative ever asked you for money and never pays it back? Has a relative ever taken an opportunity from you? Some relatives never want you to succeed if it doesn't benefit them. Do not allow yourself to be taken advantage of. If it happens you have to speak up in the moment or make a boundary for acceptable behavior. People who truly care about another do not take advantage of the ones they love. Could you ignore being taken advantage of simply because their your "blood" relatives?

5. Spreads Malicious Gossip

" Did You Hear What My Sister Did?"

We all know how harmful gossip can be. Especially when it is exaggerated and lacks consistency. Has a relative ever started a rumor about you? Did you ever eavesdrop and overhear a relative bad mouthing you to their friends or other relatives? If you have relatives like this it is best to avoid them when possible. Take great care and effort to not give them anything to talk about. I am not saying be perfect but I am saying that keeping information to yourself is critical to help prevent gossip and rumors from spreading. Loved ones don't spread malicious gossip.

6. Shows No Loyalty

"Where Does Your Loyalty Lie?"

Loyalty is an act of allegiance. Do your relatives keep spreading your secrets? Do they constantly throw you under the bus? They NEVER back you up or support you? Loyalty is not a trait everyone possesses but if you can't even trust a relative who do you trust? Trusting relationships are forged and nurtured in the home first. If you cannot trust a relative to be loyal to you then it will complicate the way you form connections with non relatives. Sometimes the most loyal people you can meet are colleagues and friends. So be mindful of those who show you loyalty and those who do not. Relatives are not always loyal. If they were then the saying above ๐Ÿ‘†๐Ÿ‘†๐Ÿ‘† would hold more truth.

7. Constant Lies

"Liar Liar Pants On Fire"

No one likes a liar. The reason why is because you cannot trust one. I had a relative who would lie about anything and everything in an attempt to seem more financially stable, desirable, and intelligent. It is infuriating and frustrating when you begin to question whatever is coming out of a relatives mouth. It makes forming new relationships more difficult because you will eventually start to distrust everyone and everything. When someone constantly lies and insults your intelligence it can make you feel unworthy, angry, guilty, shameful, etc. So now ask yourself, would you value this type of relationship above all others?

8. Let's You Down/Disappoints

"Why Do You Keep Letting Me Down? I Love You"

Relatives and guardians are the first ones in your life and at some point they will let you down and disappoint you. It is very normal and common but if a relative is doing it so often that you feel frustrated then that's a problem. For example, have you ever loaned a relative money and never got the money back when you needed it? Has a relative ever said they would stay by your side during a difficult time and when you call, they never pick up or show any interest in your problems? Do you have a relative addicted to drugs? How about do you have a relative that's a criminal? Could you really value these relationships and put them above all others simply because you have a blood connection? It's not only illogical it's practically unethical.

Blow A Breath Because Now You Know Why
Blow A Breath Because Now You Know Why "Blood Is Not Thicker Than Water"
"Allow The Waves To Wash Away Your Negativity. This Is Not Easy Stuff"

Thank you guys for stopping by and leaving feedback. If you would like any follow up mytakes for clarification please let me know. My closing remarks for the readers is this, there is no concrete evidence that supports the idea that biological relationships are stronger or more significant than any of your other relationships. It is your job to be able to judge and be mindful of the behavior of others you surround yourself with. Then be able to walk away or change any relationship that no longer serves you. I want to make it clear that friends, colleagues, acquaintances, roommates, etc can all demonstrate these same maladaptive behaviors but for the sake of this article debunking the idea that "blood is thicker than water" I did not cover them. If you would like a mytake that does please request it. This is my take on why blood is definitely not "thicker than water".

This is a NEGATIVE FREE ZONE!!!! So be kind to one another and spread joy. If you have personal questions or off topic questions please direct message them. I will not be answering them on public posts. Thanks for understanding and respecting my privacy!!!!! Disclaimer: I do not own or profit off of the Illustrations utilized in this post. Please give credit to the artists and support their works by giving a like or a follow to their pages. They are extremely talented and deserve recognition. Sending โ˜ฎ๏ธ and love๐Ÿ’—

Yours Truly, Secret6620

Resources to check out: https://www.dosomething.org/us/facts/11-facts-about-child-abuse

Have A Wonderful COLORFUL Day!!!!

๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโ™ฅ๏ธ๐Ÿ–ค
๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโ™ฅ๏ธ๐Ÿ–ค
17
9

Most Helpful Guys

• White-American89

For some that are unlucky enough to come from broken homes or rotten families it's not but for most it is.
    Most people would bleed the ground red for their flesh & blood, donate organs, break their backs supporting, nothing they wouldn't do for them. Friends come and go in life but family is there until the day you die. When it comes to the crunch family is always there and if something tragic happens it's your family that misses you the most, years may go by and they are still broken inside by ypur absence.
    https://youtu.be/6Cp6mKbRTQY

1 likes
  • WalterBlack

You bring up some good points about how people can have unhealthy relationships with family members that should be loving, supporting and protecting them. My feeling is that the expression "blood is thicker than water", means that all other things being equal, people have a stronger sense of loyalty to family vs friends. Assuming that a person has a healthy relationship with their family, I think most people would choose to save a family member if they could only save one person's life from a catastrophic situation.

1 likes

Most Helpful Girls

• BlackRoseFairy

I'm gonna have to agree... just because someone is blood related to you it doesn't mean you should necessarily keep them close. I have family members (I'm using family with the broad meaning here), which I really don't want to have anything to do with. But I also am lucky enough to have family members with whom we're real close and which I know I can trust 100%.
    As for friends, they are they "family" we choose... the good one of course! ๐Ÿ˜‰

1 likes
    • Thanks so much for the feedback. It's gladly appreciated. ๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—

• Thanks for taking the time to write so interesting takes! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• No probs ๐Ÿ’—

• I have maybe 2 friends (@pinay_ako I'm looking at you) who aren't family, but are more family than friends. I could sing this girls praises all day long, but that would bore you. she's the sister I never had and I'll be forever grateful that she's in my life.
    My family over here aren't the nicest people in the world. In fact they're downright mean and selfish, but having good friends sometimes makes it all worthwhile

1 likes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

715
  • JayParris

"Blood is thicker than the water of the womb" is the actual quote. It means the people who stand by your side in life's battles are more important than who was standing by your side when you were born. The former chose you, the latter were only there by happenstance.

So you're absolutely right.

2 likes
  • Kurαศท

Blood is not thicker than water on the basis of the simple fact that your family are random people you have never consented to being associated with whom you have zero obligations towards.
    I personally wouldn't willingly associate with anyone in my family if I had the choice, the entire concept is silly.

2 likes
    • Facts ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ’ฏ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ’ฏ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ’ฏ

• Totally agree 10000%

• devilman666

Thank you, my extended family (aunts, uncles, and cousins), had a mantra of "friends are friends but family sticks together", yet they were the first ones to prove that mantra wrong. It was just hypocritical.

1 likes
  • NatashaJ

Yup I am officially done interacting with my sister and once I move out she not going to know where I live. I am done with her, she been disrespecting most of my life and she cross the line when she claim I push my other sister to suicide when everyone knows that's not even true. She such a scumbag I am glad she only a half sister but honestly I rather remove her from my family tree and DNA so I don't have to relate to her disgusting ass.

1 likes
    • NatashaJ

I don't know why I trigger her so much I realize it's jealousy since realizing she just a horrible piece of shit and a jealous bitch it makes it easier not caring about what the stupid moron has to say. Even if I'm rude back or nice she rude regardless I don't give a flying shit about her anymore.

• Definitely sounds like she is jealous. So sorry ๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข

• NatashaJ

Ik but her lost because she going to end up alone near the last years of her life. She lost many friends, and she always think she in the right with her behaviour when everyone can agree she is the problem no one else.

• YHL6965

Definitely agree. I have never felt any sympathy for my family because they did many of these things to me. I will have no regrets cutting ties with them, I think it will free me and lighten my load a lot. I don't see why i should keep myself subjected to toxic people just because we share the same blood.

2 likes
    • Thanks so much for sharing and for the feedback ๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—

• StingRayxoxo

I read somewhere that we need to stop using the words, "Yes but they're still family" etc because it belittles the bad things that have happened.

2 likes
  • Liam_Hayden

For me personally this is not true because my mom is and my dad was AWESOME and my cousins are my closest friends and my uncle is my mentor. Still, enough of my non-related friends have experienced things on the list so that I recognize that this can be true for a lot of people.

1 likes
  • My family is great. For me applys the blood is thicker than water saying and of course I'm very lucky and not everyway has this close bond to their family. So great than you shine the light on broken, abusive and horrible familys.

2 likes
  • Sophie_2301

Thank you for this mytake. Itโ€™s good to finally hear someone who realises that not all relatives are good people. DNA doesnโ€™t make a family, love does.

1 likes
    • Thank you!!! I think it's time to bring awareness to this subject. People like to ignore the bad things relatives do. ๐Ÿ’—๐ŸŒธ

• IslanderSparkle_Siki

I'm fortunate to have awesome parents and siblings but I can't say the same for the rest of my family members. Blood is thicker than water but it leaves worst stains.

1 likes
    • Damn. I loved the way you worded this. It gave me chills. Amazing feedback and thank you๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—

• Thanks, loved the mytake.

• Thanks so much ๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—

• derek2017

FAMILY IS A LIE!! FRIENDS ARE MORE IMPORTANT!!(You might think im joking but i actually believe that! Although i dont think i can talk about the reason...)

1 likes
  • turnmypainintopower1

I agree with you, most of my family isn't biologically related to me. The people who are related seem to be the worse people in the family.

1 likes
    • Thanks so much for the feedback. ๐Ÿ’—

• 1 likes
  • Deathraider

My view: It might be selfish, but you only have an obligation to help your family if they treated you well.

2 likes
  • SirRexington

I know all too well the evil that family can do. Emotional abuse runs deep in my family. Even physical abuse when my mom was a kid. We don't even talk to them anymore. No contact. No Christmas, Thanksgiving, birthdays.

It's been like that for 2 years and it will continue for the rest of our lives. Our family are toxic people

1 likes
  • bklynbadboy1

I'm lucky me and my family is tight but I see things happen all the time with my friends and there family it sad cause the way I was raised family is everything so it hard to see people fight or not speak to that family that would tear my heart out

1 likes
  • _dude_

Totally with you there. And please do make more MyTakes, they are much appreciated.

1 likes
    • Yay!!! Thanks for the feedback. ๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—

• monkeynutts

Seriously blood is thicker than water,
    Basic Chemistry.
    And not everyones family are a bunch of shit eating nun buggerer's.

2 likes
  • Just-Confused

Actually, I think the saying may still be true... While blood isn't thick enough to hold up when it's poisoned, relative to a toxic relationship outside your family, a toxic family member is still often a stronger one (does not mean you shouldn't cut it). But if both within and without the family you have a good relationship, I'd say that blood is still thicker relative to it. And I think that's because all family ties will necessarily be older and closer than that of outsider. Sorry if this doesn't make a lot of sense I'm typing in a rush cause I gotta go now, but I can clarify later if I need to sorry bye!

2 likes
  • This was powerful! Thank you for posting it!

1 likes
    • Thanks so much for reading and leaving feedback ๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—

• My pleasure

• Kayla45

Nice myTake, very interesting

1 likes
  • RolandCuthbert

Some bonds are thicker than blood.

:D

3 likes