I'm not normal, deal with it!

All my life I've felt like I didn't fit in. I was always the shy boring one, that didn't want to do anything out of her comfort zone. There was one person in particular that made me feel that way. I'll just call her Mel.

Mel and I met when we were 3 years old. We've become best friends right away. We were a really great team. We went to school together, sat together and were inseparable. Things started to change when we were about 12. Mel found herself a new best friend and said that she can have two best friends at the same time. I didn't belive this could work, but I just let it be. I was right, it didn't work. She started spending all of her time with her new best friend and started ditching me. After some time I told her that we're not best friends anymore. She agreed.

Things got worse when we were about 14 years old. Apparently, my friends and I weren't cool enough for her to hang out with, so she got herself new friends to show herself off. We were still sitting together in classes, because after all this time I still considered her a friend. I was kind of hoping she would come back to actually BEING my friend. Well, she didn't. Instead she started telling me I'm pathetic, that I should wear make-up, that I don't have any sense of humor and stuff like that. It really hurt me, mostly beacuse it was the time I had serious feelings for someone for the first time in my life and those things she said made me feel like I didn't deserve to be with him. At that time she also started taking my things, drawing all over them, she would pinch my skin just to see how much pain I can handle (BTW she still thought we were friends). I've learned to ignore her and things got a little better for me.When we went to high school, we stopped talking to eachother. She ignored me, I ignored her, I made some amazing friends there.

Since I've distanced myself from her, I've gained so much self respect and confidence. I never knew it was possible for me to feel so empowered. It's an amazing feeling. I'm not saying everything she did was bad, I really liked talking to her, but sometimes the people we trust the most can turn out to be completely different and hurt us.

Mel, I've forgiven you for everything and I wish you all the best. I won't regret being friends with you when we were kids, we've had some great times together and I won't forget about those.

I'm not normal, deal with it!

And for everyone out there just know that you are amazing, smart and beautiful. Don't let anyone keep you away from your true self. Be who you are, because that's the best, most honest version of yourself.

Thank you for reading. It means a lot.

I'm not normal, deal with it!
5
0

Most Helpful Guy

• Thank you so much for sharing that. I'm so sorry you experienced all that pain at the hands of someone who, frankly was bullying you at times. As I was reading this, at first my heart was sinking and I was really worried about what this awful story (the first bit, is pretty heart-wrenching) was leading up to... But then...

You know... There REALLY do need to be more "surprise happy endings."

I am SO happy to hear that I distancing yourself from her, you've found "so much self respect and confidence".

I really REALLY admire your ability to look back on this aspect of your life from a place of forgiveness. I also admire that you aren't throwing out the good memories because of the existence of the bad memories.

When I say 'admire' I do mean that. I do not think that I would have the grace to see things as you do, if I had been in your shoes. Its quite impressive.

I can't believe you're only 18, and you're able to take such a mature healthy, rational, benevolent view of this situation. Usually that sort of view might be expected in your 40s or 50s--like decades after the bad times have faded into the past.

I think you're awesome. I'm glad that you're happy 🙂

1 likes
    • wercik71

Thank you so much. It means a lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

04
  • Kaneki05

No one is normal so... Of course you ain't, But nice message.

1 likes
  • You two should have been friends at 14. Even though your other friends didn't think she fitted in.

• wercik71

I don't think you understood, but thank you for sharing an opinion.

• adrifab123

meet other pepl

1 likes
  • Thatsamazing

Um... okay