What's Wrong With Men's Fashion?

BORING!
BORING!

Ok, so picture this: You're a woman. You feel like you have pretty good fashion sense. You're not quite up on the latest from the catwalks in Paris, but you can get yourself together and feel like you look great in your favorite outfit. You can go shopping with your friends and each of you is able to find her own unique look in the wide variety of styles available at your favorite mall. Your only limit is your budget.

Now picture this: You're a guy. You have an average body build and can easily find clothes that fit. You're fairly decent at putting an outfit together that doesn't get too much attention. You want to look good, but also stand out from the crowd. Your buddies wouldn't be caught dead "shopping" or give anything positive in the way of "fashion advice". You look around at all the other guys and they are all wearing the same basic things. It is obvious to you that you are just another one of them. You'd like to wear something "fun" or "adventurous" but fear the ridicule of society.

I feel that this happens all the time, granted that most guys would never admit it if they did feel like this. For decades, our culture has glamorized the flashy trends for women and beat down the guys into boring nothingness in the way of fashion.

What's Wrong With Men's Fashion?

Look around next time you are in a crowded area, such as a shopping mall or a park. Most of the guys will be wearing some type of denim or khaki pants, brown shoes or simple tennis shoes, some type of T-shirt maybe with a pullover or sweater, and a baseball hat. All of this will most likely be in dark or neutral colors. Now look at the ladies. There will be dresses, skirts, leggings, jeans, boots, pumps, heels, flats, sweaters, tank-tops, T-shirts, jewelry, and on and on. These will be flashy colors and styles that are as various as the people themselves.

So what is going on here? Are most guys drab and dull because they really want to be? Are the choices so slim that there are not many options? Do ladies want their guys to just blend in? (Btw, most guys will do what they think the ladies like.) There are many choices in fashion, but do the marketing departments of stores just not want to step outside the norm for fear of losing sales?

I don't know the answers to these questions, but I do know that men's readily available fashion choices are poor at best. The worst is in shoes. Assume you are a guy looking for a casual dress shoe. Look at the options available. The women's section of shoes is 5-10 times larger than the men's section. Even when you look at the selection within the men's section, there are often striking similarities among the styles. Do you want a brown leather lace up with a 1/2" heel, a dark brown leather lace up with a 1/2" heel, a brown leather lace up with a 3/4" heel, or the stylish new distressed brown leather lace up with a 3/4" heel.

You could step out of the norm, but then where would you look? Your only reasonable option is to shop for women's shoes and clothing. Then you take the risk of scaring children and little old ladies while garnishing judgmental stares from the tough guy shopping with his wife. You like the thought of being able to express yourself freely, but can't quite bring yourself to do it.

In the end, I'll probably just do what all the other guys do and blend in.

1551

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 15

• Yeah, I totally agree. Men's fashion is so boring and bland that there are very few options for guys who aren't in their teens. I've tried going shopping with my boyfriend to style him up and it's tough. Guys just don't have the leeway (or don't feel they do) to take risks without being labeled gay.

• ehh its too tight honestly

• @BrianMerritt I disagree. I go shopping all the time, and I see what's available for men. It's bland, boring, and mostly the same.

• Where do you go shopping? What stores?

• Is this you trying to "come out"? TBH it must be an old person thing. Ever heard of street wear? The most fashionable guys nowadays are not ridiculed or anything, it's 2018 and men being fashionable is socially acceptable. Off-White, Bape, Supreme, Gucci, Balenciaga, Yeezy, etc. Guys literally wear purses now!

• Streetwear is dead.

• @TayTay21 Okay, thot. I'm done with your dumb self.

• You only think this because you're 15. Look at all the dislikes... I know people who studied fashion business and work now in the industry and they all know that "streetwear" is a little trend designed for basic people who can't dress. They think "oh im just gonna slap on a few things that have labels and therefore i dress well. Your Understanding of this stuff is very immature to say the least.

• That’s your choice not society’s. Men’s high fashion is increadibly interesting diverse and expressive and it has been for a long time now. If you’re interested in clothing it’s there for you. In my experience guys just don’t care enough. The market only reacts to demand and less men clearly want a range of different clothing items.

• I agree. Men's fashion might be a bit more streamlined, but it's not like we have limited options.

• I feel the same here cause everything I see is "Insert relatable cringey millennial quote here" or it's way too girly and I hate it. It's really hard to find clothing I like but there is this brand I love. It's called SPRZ NY and I'm in love. Such creative designs, always very vibrant and out there. I'd definitely recommend checking them out

• I enjoy men’s fashion. Especially that of The one and only Dapper Dan.

• Come to France then, there's a lots of fashionable guys and nobody mock them or anything.
    When I was in high school men would always be talking about fashion, new sneakers and their shopping.

• I'm not surprised. I've heard France is the fashion state in addition to Italy. Norwegians tends to be boring in the way they dress (especially guys. Women are way better), but I would say we've improved after 2010. The 2005 fashion was horrible.

• @curiousnorway The 2005 fashion in France wasn't that bad, at least I didn't think so. In others countries I don't know, just in America it was a bit too much. (Paris Hilton fashion was horrible).

• There's nothing particularly wrong with men's clothing, you just have to find the right style that fits you. Those pictured above look like an old gentlemen's clothes.

• I’m sorry but I really think that’s on you men. If more guys were genuinely concerned with fashion and having options, there’d be more brands and more stores catered to men. But most designers who are guys make women’s clothing either because they are gay or because they know that you can do more fun creative things with women’s bodies. And why can women have more variety? It’s not really about women. It’s about guys feeling like they will be less of a man if they actually cared to dive into fashion. Yes, some girls will bash fashionable men, but most will not. We LOVE style, not just on ourselves, but on men as well. But too many of you are too stiff to step out of your own comfort zone. The only thing wrong with men’s fashion is that there is that the demand is low, but that can change if you all were just more embracing of creativity and less hung up on thinking everything is “gay”

• "It’s not really about women. It’s about guys feeling like they will be less of a man if they actually cared to dive into fashion."
      Right and wrong at the same time.
      Yes, guys generally have a more functional and less flamboyant approach to fashion. That being said, let me tell you something.
      Look at teenage boys' fashion. That's colorful. Plenty of different shoe designs, different pants, different overgarments, pullovers, jackets, caps, hats, etc...
      There is actually plenty of variety.
      So what happens?

I'll tell you what happens. People, men and women alike, tell you that you have to grow up and dress like a man.
      You wear a hoodie? What are you, 12?
      Take off those sneakers, you hoodloom, and put on a proper pair of leather shoes!
      Colorful pants? GET A JOB! Wear proper pants like real men! Forget about skinny jeans, only little boys wear those!
      etc.

The level of shaming on all fronts, and I have to say, ESPECIALLY from women, is insane.

• So when you blame men for not daring to step out of their comfort zone, think of the their crazy parents, stupid asshole buddies, their future employers who demand obedience and invisibility if you have a dick, and of course women who shame men for daring to spend a bit of time on themselves.
      This is still the best - when women say "don't date a guy who works out and takes care of himself - he's egotistical, he cares more about himself than you". But they wouldn't date the guy who doesn't dress properly, and doesn't work out either. So what's the solution? Business casual. Blend in, and be just another well dressed guy in inconspicuous clothing.

• @Benedek38 Thank you 😊

• I actually like it when guys go shopping and have a sense of style. There's nothing wrong with it

• Go on Pinterest. Men's clothes on there aren't dull.

• Men's clothes don't have to always be dull! I know someone who has great fashion sense and wore different colors without looking like a joker. He wore very unusual pieces and still looked great. And he was only 5'4".

One good side of the convential men's clothing is that most of them flatter men of all body types and you have less confusion or 'decision fatigue'. Whereas in our case one clothing looks red carpet ready on one girl and a total wardrobe malfunction on somebody else.

But still letting you know one thing. You have room for being more fashionable. It is not usual, but still available and possible for you to pull off.

• I don't know where you're from, but it's not at all unusual in the UK. Being "dressed to the nines" is something that's always been seen positively here.

• @simpy3 fashion and basically putting effort into apparence is seen as a girly thing in here and many others places, but men do wear colors when wearing Desi outfits especially. But besides that all guys basically wear the same thing with little variation.

• Good take

• Maybe you could start your own clothing line...

• Hmm, yeah maybe

• Mehhhhhhh

What Guys Said 51

• Real men wear clothes they can wear when crawling under the car to remove the transmission and get grease all over them. Other clothes are waiting to be worn out enough to "graduate" into being work-on-the-car clothes.

• PREACH!

Except that last sentence. I don't buy a fucking thing that I can't immediately work in.

• ATF smdh there's your problem. You're driving a fuckin automatic.

Every time I get them damn things in like Where da clutch?🤨

It's alright. When your balls drop, you'll find manual transmissions are far superior in every way

• I'm* like

Fuckin swipe to text

• So... Basically you're saying guys have no fashion sense and all dress the same. And you have also made comparisons in stores that men have less options.

Yet you post a picture of three men dressed differently... Doesn't really support your argument.

Now I'm not too familiar with the women's section of things, but stores I've been to have a fairly even split between men and women's clothes.

Of course depending on the brand and type of store as well you might see more male or female clothes.

For example the men's wearhouse you probably won't find any female clothes, and Victoria's secret you won't find men's undergarments, and in forever 21 you'll probably find mostly women's clothes, but there are some men's clothes.

So there are tons of options and if you throw in online shopping the styles of clothing is practically limitless.

And if you want to speak personal experience, I've seen a bunch of women wearing denim short shorts in the summer, and a bunch of women that wear yoga pants. Not to mention the countless women that wear those skinny tight jeans, and distressed clothing...

So... I'm not entirely sure what the you're talking about. Women can be just as boring as men if not more boring.

And men have options and many different styles to choose from.

• I just wear what I think looks good, simple stuff. I've often been told that I dress well despite not really trying hard since I'm not interested in fashion. I only tend to wear dark colours rather than really colourful things because I'm not interested in looking like a metro-sexual girly-man.

• I am lazy when it comes to fashion but I am lucky because women that I go with make sure I dress up right so they can go out with me. So, I get my hand held when it comes to fashion.

• Most guys don't really care, and what's fashionable in Manhatten most guys wouldn't wear in a smaller town. I've noticed that the new style in men's suits is very close and tight-fitting, which to me looks like they're wearing boy's size clothes.

• I sympathize. I've been looking for a new pair of leather walking shoes - lotsa luck. Adidas quit making my old ones. I'm on my third pair after having to return the first two pair, and I may just have to return the third to boot (no pun intended). As far as looking the same, maybe you can express your individuality with a fancy tie

• i wear whats comfortable... usually t-shirt, shorts and flip flops. i dont really care if looks good. and i think thats the biggest factor here guys simply dont care as much, at least in my cirlce of friends, we dress for comfort.

• It's possible to dress comfortably, on a budget, and still pick out the clothes that look good on your body.

• Besides the colors of clothing, men's fashion, hasn't changed much at all. Where as women's fashion, geeeeeeeeez!!! Women have soooo many types of all sort of clothing. Not that I much care about men's fashion, I'd rather spend money in stocks (Wall Street) or technology. :-D

• You know who buys the most men's clothes? Women. For their sons, their boyfriends, their husbands, their lovers. So marketers design and promote the clothes that women want to see their men in. Women drive the fashion industry by voting with their dollars.

• I don't want to stand out. I don't want to go clothes shopping, or find a different style, or explore options in fashion. I don't like that. It's just stressful to me. I am perfectly fine just having some shirts, jackets and pants somewhere in the greyscale. That's all I need. It's comfortable.

• A lot of our "fashion" is fucking stupid, is what's wrong.
    What's Wrong With Men's Fashion?

Dude on left looks fine; other two look like idiots.

• I have a style, something that rarely changes or if i do change it its a bit altered but nothing major, girls like my style, i like my style, i usually look decent and better than most men around me... overall i am content with what i wear and the limited choices dont bother me much cause i usually find what iam looking for.

• I can agree that men's fashion is often dull and plain. I also agree that in stores, mens clothing sections are minuscule compared to the women's section, often 1/8 of the size. It is frustrating that we don't have many choices and many "styles" are basically the same thing.
    However, Shopping for the latest trends does seem like a waste of money to me. Easier to stick to what's tried and true.

• Thing is most men didn't dress a you think they did back in time. Those you're describing where just the middle or upper class, people with money. They rest had cheap, plain clothes.
    Today with low cost manufacturing, we can wear any type of clothes for a fair price, and fashion has been democratized.
    Where I agree with you is that today's fashion sucks. But people wear what they like, and that's how fashion is made. And if they like wearing shit, then shit they'll wear.

• I know guys who don't give a f. about it. They wear what they want and what expresses their personality better. Anyway, sometimes it creates some "distance"; it breaks the rapport between people who dress like everybody else and those who stand out.

• I wish I could dress like the men in the 1920's.

• Oh, not really. But there would be some consequences, I'm sure about it. As I said, it creates some distance between average dressing people and you.

• But I think I'll do that in a near future. Maybe adapting 20's style to nowadays! I'd feel great

• I think it is changing - Younger guys are lot more into fashion so over time it may start to change - I think up to now no one want to be the guy to start a trend, follow a trend yes but not start one

• I don't care. I get up, I take a shower and I put presentable clothes on.
    I mean what the fuck do you want from me?

• With men's clothing, it all comes down to the small details.

A bespoke, Saville Row suit is a very different creature compared to one you bought for under a hundred bucks at Ed Hardy.

A handcrafted shoe made by an artisan who knows his craft is going to be a completely different beast compared to the shoe you shelled out $15.99 for at PayLess Shoes.

Spend some money on investment pieces, and you get items that can last a lifetime - how often can you say that about women's clothing? Have you checked out the difference in heft between men and women's clothing?

Spend pennies and you will wish moths got to your clothes first.

• That's why I buy tailored clothing. I have tailored made jackets that will last a long time. I have
      a jacket from the 1940s and it looks brand new. Women's and men's clothing from malls all fall apart because it's fast fashion.

• @InTimoreDei I assume you got your jacket second hand or passed down? If you had your jacket tailored in 1940 and you're still around today...

I dislike fast fashion. I had a pair of jeans FALL apart while I was wearing it... lasted less than 3 years... thankfully, I was at home, alone at the time.

• There a good quality and decent style men's clothes but they seem like they were all designed for infants. If you are a man with wide shoulders your choices slim down even more.

• I agree with everything you said. I wish clothes were genderless. I'm a straight guy, 6 ft tall, but i love wearing women's heels. i wish i could do i without all the looks and smirks.

I Also hate the connection most people make that if you dress different then your sexuality is in question.

I'm straight as hell. But i would like to wear more feminine clothes, skirts, dresses etc. But most people always assume if you do that then your are "gay" or whatever.

I'd argue the apposite, i am so attracted to femininity that i like to wear feminine clothes.

Just my two cents

• I just look for functionality when I shop for clothes. Earth tones and dark colors for dealing with dirt and blood stains, make sure it's tough enough to not rip or tear as I jump through bushes or bash my way through a mosh pit, and does it have steel toes? because that would be awesome.

Or just look at my profile pic and that is literally how I dress for working out. Some baggy ass Mexican gangster shorts and no shirt. The sweat rolls right down the crack of my ass off my back but at least I don't have a shirt sticking to me or getting hung up on the dumbbells. Functionality.

As far as fashion goes... when I was younger it was seriously baggy Jnco jeans, vans, and wallet chains. I dressed that way to sort of signal to others of like mindedness that, "hey you, dude/chick that dresses like me, what kind of music you listen to?"... and that's how it rolled.

But after that, fashion just seems sort of gay or effeminate to me as I aged.

• Sounds to me like they know who spends more on their clothes.

• Mainly, it is boring. I walk into stores to buy clothes and walk out without buying anything all the time. Everything looks so bland.

• What's Wrong With Men's Fashion?

• You can still wear flashy clothing or colored clothing. I personally don't because it'd God damn expensively.

• Yeah, there are tons of options for women, in comparison to men, but look at how they dress despite these options. All the women wear the same shite: black yoga pants, white crop tops, gray sweats, blue baseball caps. Barely any of them dress glamorously even though they have easy access to it.

In regards to men's fashion, you have to know where to look. My closet has tons of vintage styles in a array of colours. I have no fear in going against the crowd. You won't find these things in the mall. I find them at markets and independent shops.

People may all look the same but you don't have to. Why are people always saying bloody things like "I wish I could wear that...". Just do it.

I go around in stuff that nobody else wears and I get a lot of enamored eyes from women next to their boring boyfriends in sweats wishing they had me instead because of it too.

• It's practical and it works.
    Women's is worse , jeans with fake pockets, random holes to show skin, doesn't cover everything up etc.

• What differs me from my peers? I don’t follow “trends”... I follow timeless beauty!

In recent years, I’ve lost interest in buying clothes in shops, as they have little to nothing of the menswear I find to be properly classic & charming; instead it’s the same slovenly urban clothes most young boys wear these days that attract only sluts & scumbag friends. Online shopping works for me because you find the clothes & suits you’ve always wanted (if you look in the right websites), and with good tailoring if they initially fit slightly too large, then that’s when you’ll truly gain attention from people around you — I know from experience!

• Its so boring , been like this for years. Why not have some colour. get away from this stayed look ……..

• l have my own clothing line look it up its Called EDWIN google it l have lots of nice clothing for sale plus nice watches

• Show more from Guys
    21