Ladies, are leggings or yoga pant acceptable as outerwear?

In your opinion are yoga pants and leggings acceptable as outerwear?

Should a long shirt or skirt be worn over top of it to cover “certain parts”?

What should be worn underneath?

43
51

Most Helpful Girls

• booooop
    Yes! Just because they tend to be more form-fitting doesn't mean that it's in appropriate to wear outside of the gym. They're generally A LOT more comfortable than jeans or other pants, and at least for me they allow for a lot more movement than skirts. I value comfort over appearance, so as long as I'm not going to a fancy restaurant or any other formal setting, it's definitely fine from a personal standpoint.

Maybe it's just because I live in Southern California, where the population is generally more liberal and more fit than in other parts of the country, but around here it's pretty much the norm. Brands like Athleta or Lululemon are really popular, and "ath-leisure" (athletic-leisure) is a common style.
    Is this still revelant?
  • arabgoddess
    Yes acceptable.. there's some really nice fashionable gym pieces out there
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guys

• Well they sure to look sexy but other than that... I think the consensus would agree with these ideas, at a fitness center it's ok and or common place, wearing at home that's fine too however pass that, it's better to have something covering your butt and it also prevents camel toe problems too. But it could be a light over hanging shirt or even just a sweater around your waist or a skirt... You could get creative with it. But it's not against the law to wear leggings by themselves I think it's just classier if you have them slightly covered in public
    Is this still revelant?
  • Ceasar97
    Well, I do have to say that a woman does look good in some yoga pants and leggings. I think it depends on a few things. How cold is it and what are you doing being the two big ones that I can think of. Is it cold or hot? Are you going to freeze or sweat in places that you don't want to obvious? Are you going on a hike or just walking down the street? As for wearing a squirt or something to cover the important bits, I think you can, but it kind of defeats the purpose of yoga pants and leggings doesn't it?
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

4941
  • Good quality ones yes. If we can see your panties' color when you are not even squatting then the answer is a big NO. Even those that show your underwear color when you squat aren't appropriate.
    • Robertcw

I thought nobody wears underwear underwear yoga pants.

• The ones pictured are acceptable for exercise. I mean I guess acceptable is up to your comfort level. I wouldn't roll into an adult party in yoga pants. I also live in Oregon, so leggings and yoga pants are kind of a given everywhere 😊
  • in my opinion if it is not see through, it is acceptable. What if is calked doesn’t matter to me. Anything can be see through it opaque. I do prefer to wear shirts the cover my bottom when I have right fitting body hugging pants on.

Jeans are an Accepting unless they are skinny jeans.
  • foxrider77
    Leggings are fine to wear for outfits l. Maybe more for hanging out, gym, walking through the city. Not for work or visiting bfs family for firs time. I’d wear a thong or g string underneath. Keep the material clean.
    • I would never do that bc that’s just fewer layers between parts and the outside world

• foxrider77

@VIVANT yeah I could see that being an issue

• matchrestore
    I used to think they weren't the best idea to wear as outerwear (although I always thought that decision should be left to the wearer) but as it becomes more common my thoughts on leggings have changed, I think they are perfectly fine to wear as outerwear.
  • Cynicaldreamer
    Absolutely! I wear mine out when I go shopping all the time.

It comes down to how you wear them!!! As in don't wear leggings that look like they're painted on you then complain or wonder why people stare at you.
    When I wear mine, I always wear a long top or hoodie that covers my butt. And I make sure they're not too sheer.
  • Yes, they show off the curves nicely and are quiet suggestive with some women having noticeable camel toes: www.girlsinyogapants.com/.../

However, when a guy like me strikes up a convo, have more to say than "I do yoga, I feel blessed" otherwise I'm walking off.🤷🏽‍♂️✌🏽
  • xoamanda
    well i hope so bc i wear them as pants all the time
  • ushagomez
    Yes, always a good look. Comfortable and practical.
  • I can't say if they are 'acceptable' as outerwear, but I certainly can say that it's something that I'd never advocate. They barely cover anything, and while I understand a girl could wear it because she can do whatever she wants and that's what she feels comfortable and confident in, men who wanna take the wrong advantage of it and just gawk at you would never care and they will be the ones benefitting from this, and nobody else. If you don't want people looking at certain parts of your body, you honestly shouldn't be giving them the chance to be able to do it in the first place. True, no one should be staring inappropriately, but like I said earlier, how many men do you think will actually listen or care to listen? They just care that they could see flesh... Only you're in control of whether or not that can see it.

It's been more than two years since I stopped wearing any kind of leggings, jeggings, tights etc garments even though I always wore long dresses with them, and I'm very happy with that decision. Even the trousers I wear when working out are loose (especially since there are men in the gym I avoid tight clothes) and they have never been uncomfortable or a nuisance for me. It's all about what you're used to. In fact I recently tried to put on a pair of old leggings that I haven't worn for ages and it felt soooo uncomfortable I had to take then off immediately. If I ever wear them, only at home for my future husband to be seeing it OR underneath clothes.
  • Little_Meeee
    I find them way more comfortable to wear than jeans and I sometimes wear them as outerwear
  • IAMRIA
    I believe not. It’s really very revealing. Unless you want to catch men’s attention, but most likely they are going to be hypnotised like horny animals.
  • OlderAndWiser
    I enjoy seeing an attractive lady in yoga pants but I'm not sure I'd want my daughter going in public wearing yoga pants (if I had a daughter.)
    • roland77

Rapists and sexists are real. Sure I don't want my daughter wear it, too, until she is tough enough to fight them off (and that doesn't exclude martial art sports).

• Dave-from-Illinois
    As a male I do not see any issues. Just know that men will be looking at the butt and curves as it does attract the male attention.
  • Grande_Beefy_Swirl
    TBH when it's 2am and I wake up for no reason but there's no food anywhere in the house i don't care what's "acceptable" or not. I'm wearing whatever's on the floor, dragging my tired ass to the store and buying a giant bag of frozen fruit in my see-through leggings. Y'all can deal.
    • Robertcw

This is what I live for. I'd totally be the creeper at walmart staring at your see through pants. 🤣

• DizzyDesii
    They need to put draws on. Nobody tryna smell they sweaty pussy from a workout. Put on some draws and hope they mask the smell until they can get to a shower
    • DizzyDesii

I read this all wrong 😂 i thought it said are they acceptable without underwear lol. But yea wear them wherever. I do. I wear em to work too

• RHK36
    Sure, I don't see why not? If you're comfortable and you're in an informal setting it's not a big deal.
  • loveslongnails
    Sure, as long as they look good. I've seen denim leggings that look just like jeans. The thing is, as I'm sure you know, yoga pants NEVER LIE !! If you don't have the body to wear them as outerwear, don't …. do …. it !!!
  • Dihiya
    it's okay if worn just to the grocery store, walking your dog, or get some food nearby (it's a pain to dress up for that), but i don't think it's appropriate for work/school and all day out
  • different83
    Wear whatever you feel comfortable in. If you wear leggings because you find them comfortable then they're acceptable
  • Cactusqueen
    If it’s the right size then it shouldn’t fit overly tight so wouldn’t need coverage
  • camotedragon
    I think so just wear underwear that isn't to revealing because the yoga pants can be a bit transparent my partner has had this issue before
  • Sure, i guess? Personally I only wear them to and from the gym and make sure I have a longer shirt or jacket over the top but it's never bothered me to see someone else wearing them without that.
  • tiajoka
    Long shirt, shorts, or dress/skirt
    Otherwise its fine without those as long as you wear them with a thong (otherwise underwear shows)
    It depends on the leggings too. Some are a lot more transparent, while others aren't at all.
  • GoodGuyBreakingBad
    Yes i think leggings pants are acceptable as outerwear <3 <3 😍😻
  • maddog998
    Yes! Some bigger girls or chubby girls dont like Jean's or sweatpants
  • mommoms
    Leggins are usually weared as a outerwear so it was normal
  • Gedaria
    They look very nice. But a replacement for proper slacks, not really. I see girls on the bus, wearing them not ideal, in the gym yes...
  • richa69
    Yeah why not I wear mostly leggings under tshirts and tops
  • Manlyman1
    I see no problem in it. Maybe you'd choose something else in an office setting but I wouldn't complain.
  • However you like. I wear them like regular pants. I like leggings supper comfortable.
  • neurolove
    Shorts over or long shirt is best. Or just tie a small jacket or sweater around your waist.
  • CindyRuns
    At the gym or running, always

Elsewhere, I usually wear a tunic top or a skirt over them
  • HusamRocks
    We accept everything as long as you're a stranger 😆
  • TonyMetal_1986
    Yes there should something to cover the butt and pussy of the girl and you should wear an underwear beneath it
  • Cannuck22
    absolutely. I love tights , yoga pants what ever you want to call them.
    I would guess most girls wear a thong or nothing. Granted I have seen some girls wear regular panties and that doesn’t look that flattering. N
  • elizamichale1
    Ofcourse they are ok and acceptable to wear as outerwear and no why would anything be needed to wear underneath those
  • johnwilliams69
    As a male, I love when women wear them but they aren't appropriate if in town but it's the womans choice
  • Mombie
    As long as they don't have a see through butt then you're good.
    Yoga pants are the best
  • KungfuCyborg
    Of course they are. They're pants, and they already cover "certain parts"
  • sapphireruby
    I wouldn't wear them as pants outside of my house or a yoga studio, but I don't care if other women want to do it.
  • Milkycup
    Wearing something over it is completely dependant on the way you feel about it. Though generally speaking, I don't see it as wrong, as long as it's appropriate (not see through in certain parts, etc.)
  • Massageman
    Outerwear in private, yes. But as a guy, I wouldn't complain
    • Badballie

The day I lose interest in women, I may as well stop living.

• Many men like seeing it but women should not decide upon what men like but what she feels is best for her.
  • FunkyMonkee
    You don't get out much, do you? Stretch pants are ALL girls wear anymore!!
  • AntiHunger
    I wear it underneath my jeans to layer up for the winter but never outside of working out. ✨
  • KolaJoe
    When they looked like hose or tights I didn't like them. But now that they are starting to look more like pants I can get on board with it.
  • leon308
    I now I'm not a girl but that's one way to get my attention
  • Curabyron
    I wear them all the time , its so nice and còmfortable
  • Fallen_Thornheart
    I mean obviously not to work unless you work at like a gym but otherwise I see no problem with it
    • I mean yogo pants aren't a lot different than sweat pants when I used to work retail people wore them all the time.