Is a tan more attractive than being pale?

I'm Finnish so I'm naturally pale as a ghost. I just realized that the summer is almost over and I don't even have a trace of a tan. Not that I ever get super tanned. I usually end up looking like a lobster.

I personally find (naturally) tanned people more attractive than pale people because in my eyes it makes them look more healthy. Don't get me wrong, I don't think orange is a good color for anyone and I realize that the UV radiation isn't healthy. I do fancy the sun-kissed look, though.

So, tanned, pale or something in between? Which one do you prefer?
  • Tanned
  • Pale
  • Something in between
    Vote C
I now realize that I should have put a "Depends/Both" option as well. Oops.
Just to be clear, I didn't mean I don't like my own skintone. I was simply saying that I find the sun-kissed look attractive on other people and that I would have loved to have gotten a bit tanned this summer but didn't because I've been mainly working indoors. Somehow you managed to turn this into me hating on skincolors.

4180

Most Helpful Guy

• I was always getting sunburned in the summer up to a few years ago, since I was spending a lot of time at the seaside and also in the mountains and believe it or not, sun was harsh there in the summer.
    When we were kids it was very usual and nobody cared about the tan. Some were getting really black in a natural way.

Now not that much, just a bit darker on my arms and forearms. But did not get to properly take my shirt off.

But I noticed that now at this age, people that I stumble upon, do not necessarily care much about the tan either, but you can tell by their reaction that they simply asses whether you were on holiday or not.
    And I also believe that they rate your holiday and how "Successful" it was based on the tan you got.
    So for some it simply became a status symbol. "look at how tanned I am, it means I was on holiday in a sunny place, I can afford that"

Most Helpful Girl

• Naturally tan. I like that glowy-bronzy look, not that orange film people get covered in w/ false tans. Some really pale people (like almost completely transparent skin) look like their skin is made outta tissue paper which isn't my thing. It depends on the person and the undertones too. Really pale people with really cool undertones look like ghosts to me (not my thing) but some pale people with warm or olive undertones can look really lively. It depends.

• Oh. I only clicked the pole & wrote out my reply from the feed. I didn't see the context of your question. Don't hurt yourself (physically or emotionally) over a tan. Most guys I know go crazy over porcelain skin. Own it :) . I was talking on my own preference for men.

• @splashofyellow It doesn't sound like you desperately want a tan lol. I just missed the context of your question so I tried to answer it more directly. You sounded like you were wondering what guys thought about pale skin so I was sharing my observation.