The concept of "she/he is out of your league", does it exist in the real world?

I am talking about the idea that a girl or guy can be so pretty/handsome, smart and fun that they are simply out of someone's league.

In other words, you wouldn't have (much of) a chance to date them even if you tried.

I started wondering this when Tinder make me play the "Super like game". They selected 4 girls, and I could superlike one of them. One of those girls had great pictures, she looked amazing. But instead of wanting to superlike her, I felt as though she was out of my league.

"She probably gets 10 matches a day, why would she care about just another super like?" I thought.
I now realize that's a rather silly way to think, since I'm assuming a lot of things about her based on only her pictures. I wondered if other people have had similar experiences, where they felt as though someone was out of their league.
  • Yes, definitely
  • Yes, but only in a few/extreme cases
  • No, not for me at least
    Vote C
  • No, not at all
    Vote D
  • Not sure/maybe/other/answers
    Vote E

53103

Most Helpful Girls

• The problem with Tinder is that you are deciding which way to swipe based purely on looks and that's just not realistic.

I do think that the feeling of "leagues" exist in the real world and I have been through that feeling and come out the other side winning.

My guy and I had worked together for 2 and a half years and in that time he was known as the "good looking" one. He had a lot of attention off the ladies and I know he had plenty of matches on Tinder. He liked a lot of bikini clad girls on Instagram, pretty standard for a good looking guy in his twenties. I'm pretty average, I'm not the slimmest and to be honest I can't be bothered to wear make up most of the time. But after 2 and a half years of knowing each other I started showing an interest in him and he started showing interest in me, and now we are super happy, not interested in anyone else and I didn't have to wear a lot of make up or put on a bikini to win him over.

That's the thing to remember, when you look at someone for the first time, you do judge them based on how they look. But for both sexes, that doesn't last for longer than about 5 seconds, because nobody actually cares that much if you're not the best looking one, as long as you have a decent personality and can make them happy.

• Thanks for sharing!

Your story actually gave me back some hope I lost along the way. A few years ago, I finally stopped actively searching for a relationship and just enjoyed doing my own thing. It helped me figure out what I actually wanted and allowed me to enjoy being single.

Even though I like being single, I'd still prefer to be in a relationship. Reading how you, even after 2+ years of working together, found someone and you are now very happy with, is really encouraging to hear!

Thanks again for sharing!

• I definitely think the best thing to do is to not search so hard for someone, and don't worry about the myth of leagues.

I wasn't really that interested in my guy for those few years. I thought he was very good looking but I couldn't see him that way because we worked together. It was only after I came back from working in a different store that I saw him differently. I dont really know why that was. I never thought there was any point in trying because of the whole different "leagues" we seemed to be in, and also he is 4 years younger than me so definitely can get any girl he wants closer to his own age or early twenties rather than someone who is closing in on 30 pretty fast!

Good luck and don't give up :)

• "out of your league" is absolutely real, but the problem is that we could be wrong in judging it
    we may think we are out and not be
    or think we are in but not be

• @ronaldo75 you put it like people base everything on looks, its not that simple
      besides in my experience a lot of guys think some pretty girls are out of their league but in fact a lot of girls wouldn't mind their looks if they just put more effort and be confident
      also there are guys that have very high opinion of themselves when in fast that ain't shit and have no chance with girls they think they do

• It's not all looks, no one said that's the only thing. However it does start with looks, then personality. I'm attracted to A LOT of good looking women who are total bitches so I'd never make a move on them. Women in this situation will catch a guy lookng at them and think the guuy isn't fliritng because he's weak or scared - that's not the reason - the reason is that the girl is pretty but we've already heard her talk and know she's an asshole.

Yes, many guys think they're more than they really are. I would never deny that. These guys also put up a front that many woman fall for. Arrogant douchebag guys wouldn;t act like that it didn't get them laid.

Most Helpful Guys

• It is not so much about leagues, as it is about compatibility--a fulfillment of wants and needs. If the other person has enough of the things you need and want to justofy them not having some othet things then you are good. That is why a man who is infertile, who is also hilarious and wealthy can get a woman who is an attorney, but has no interest in having children. Or how a really dumb, but attractive man can end up with an average looking, super smart and successful lady.

• You have to remember that most other people will think she is out of their league, too. At the end of the day, a no is just not getting a yes, and not giving her a chance will not give you a yes, so the most assured rejection is when you reject yourself without bothering to let her answer.