Why Take Photos of Your Food?

Why Take Photos of Your Food?

Restaurants used to either hate or be highly suspicious of people who took photos of their food . Why would they do this and what for? Understandably as a chef, you don't want some person snapping a photo of your prize winning dish and taking that off to some other restaurant where they could potentially copy and sell something similar. Then there is the other side of things, which would be someone taking a photo and talking about how awful the dish was online or to their friends.

Nowadays, restaurants and customers consider it a fact of life to snap photos of their food, especially with the convenience of cell phones. But why, you may still be wondering, do people "need" to do this. Well, the short answer is, they don't, but from the restaurants point of view, this is the cheapest (free) advertising they can get. I can tell you that just two weeks ago, a friend posted a photo that she took of her dessert, Pisang goreng, which is an Asian dish of fried banana with caramel ice cream, and a week later, there I was trying it for myself.

Why Take Photos of Your Food?

We eat first with our eyes. From the time of the monkey's if you believe in evolution, we knew fruit was ripe because we could see it's colors, and then smell it, and then we could taste it. This doesn't change because we now live in a modern world. I take photos all the time of the food I eat particularly when I'm on vacation because just like the beach, or the mountains, or whatever touristy thing, food is a part of your experience whether on vacation or just in general in life, and because there is so much diversity in the things we eat, it's not as if you're just snapping the same old turkey club every single day.

If I had a good experience with the food and it looked good, I want to share that experience with others and promote that restaurants good food. You and I both look at food advertisements every single day in print, on tv, and even hear the ads on the radio, so how is it suddenly any different or wrong if me as a lay person not in the advertising industry, snaps a photo and sends it out to my friends, to be like, you guys should definitely try this? It's not like I'm not going to eat it. Snapping a photo of the food takes like 5 seconds and then you're off to hopefully enjoy it, so I say snap away and have the memory, just like any other, of a good food experience that you perhaps want to share with others. The trick is simply not to get carried away with it, snapping 15 pictures and such.

1833

Most Helpful Guy

• I thinks food is a fun and valuable memory to keep like being on a vacation abroad. Especially if it was a good experience and I liked the food as a food lover. Therefor I takes picture of it. I also sees it as an art form where the chefs decorates the food in an impressive way making it visually pleasing in addition to the food taste and smell good. It's an art that require training.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 32

• Uh, yeah, I'm not getting that. Ridiculous. And it's all over social media - like I give a shit what you had for dinner. They even do it on trip reports, and events and such. Geesh!
    Now, if you're talking specifically about FOOD, then sure, but just passing along your plate pics to everyone? Gaah!

• Because it's #FoodPorn
    The vast majority of people in my experience feel the same way as I regarding food. That it's an experience you should enjoy. Food isn't just fuel for the body. You bond with loved ones over food. Many events are enjoyed with food. Even when the food is the event lol. Food is fun and I love it. Tho I don't go buck wild with the photos unless the food visually lools damn good or I made it myself and take pride in it. Like I'm not about to post pictures of my taco bell xD

• The same people who complain tend to be the ones who would take 50 selfies to get "a good shot." It's like come on! It's food; it's beautiful and delicious!

• Taking pics of ones food is not only for the mouth watering memories but to share with others how great the dishes are. What commercials put on tv does not look like the real thing. What pictures people take is the real thing.

This only solidifies a chefs reputation as a great cook. Pictures are normally taken of unique and great presentations.

• "you don't want some person snapping a photo of your prize winning dish and taking that off to some other restaurant where they could potentially copy and sell something similar."

Chefs don't give a shit actually, lest they are genuinely pathetic at their jobs.

• Omg, I snap photos of my food all the time! Haven't had the chance to take a picture of the last delicacy, however.. It was my first time trying egg rolls too 😔

• Why would a restaurant NOT want their dishes splashed over instagram? That's like perfect free advertising lol.

• I don't think taking photos of your food makes any sense as such. I mean you don't have to prove to anyone that you ate at a particular place or something.

• I don't get it either. The only time I'd do it was if I was having something truly exotic that I would likely never have again.

• I never do it. Granted, I don't have social media, so maybe I'm not the best person to answer, but it does seem pretty pathetic

• So I can reproduce it at home and save some money. :)

I usually disassemble it completely and then photograph it again.

• Cooking yes, eating out? Nope unless I'm traveling and trying something I've never heard before. I rarely go out the way it is.

• Taking photos of food can be good when you want to show someone how it looked like.

• People do it for Yelp also , my kids take pics of their food and Snapchat to their friends

• It's because people have no lives and are desperate for attention.

• I never do that. But it has been done to my dinner plate before

• to show my friends that I has food and they don't!!! *evil laugh*

• Its important so that when the apes take over they'll have a record of out eating habits. Duhhhhh

• because poeple won't believe me otherwise that I eat food

• Pornographic film for meals

• nope

• This is a great take! Thanks for sharing!

• peoples lives are empty

• I take photos of my poo

• Bragging? Boredom? Too many pictures to take?

• can't stand when people do that.

• Food porn

• I do it all the time.

• Because they can't take selfies of own

• I should try it one of these days

• Show more from Guys
    2

What Girls Said 18

• Honestly, as a former hobby photographer: I am sick and tired of all this.

I am sick and tired of people wanting me to take pictures of them.
    I am sick and tired of my friends looking for "good spots" in the city to take a pic.
    I am sick and tired of all this fakeness.
    I am sick and tired of this needy, attention addicted generation.

Ladies and gentlemen: Likes are your new heroin.
    People don't live and take pictures, they live to take pictures of them existing.

• I also wonder that myself but in my personal case I would do it only if Im traveling to a foreign country and eating something that is not sold in my country so is like is nice other people can see what other cities offer, it also applies to fruits and vegetables or some weird food on a market, just under that exception I will take photos of food. Other circumstances I won't take photos of the food I am eating cause why people care what the heck I am eating for breakfast, snack lunch or dinner.

• its for the hype i wanna show my intense food off and feel cool loland i usually order like steaks and ribs and my boyfriend cooks really well and makes me steak all the time and makes crazy good food so also for the hype and just because its like crazy good and i wanna show everyone and brag abot it

• I know take it if the food is exotic... but if it's a restaurant u go to everyday, forget about it. Usually if I'm at a really nice place I'll take a few pics but I never post it bc I'm not a loser lol

• Because people usually say that their food looks soooo great they don't want to eat it. So they take a photo, then eat it. Just something humans do :P

• I do that because sometimes my siblings and my parents want to know what I ate during a trip

• This

• I only do that when I'm on vacation in a different place and I want memories.

• It's fun just to post where you were dining and what you had.

• I just do it sometimes bc the food will look just that good, and I love food anyway

• So I can look back at the picture and re-live how amazingly delicous it was.

• I think it is a trend these days

• I like taking photos of food I created

• Don't ever do it in foreign countries.

• I won't take photos of my food

• Why not take pictires? There's no harm in it

• I do it becuase it's aesthetically pleasing

• Yeah I do it too for later