A Sinfully Good Lasagna That's a Guaranteed Food Orgasm

Since the theme of today's Valentines Day was #LoveYourself I decided I would love myself by treating myself with a gorgeous lasagna and some wine.. I also decided to make it the best I could! Made some mistakes on the way and even hurt myself a bit 😂honestly, I usually don't.. I'll tell you what I did and what I would've done differently.

A sinfully good lasagna that's a guaranteed food orgasm

What you'll need:

Olive oil

A nice red wine that you'd drink

3-4 strips of pancetta or streaky bacon

About a pound of beef and lamb mince

2-3 mid sized carrots

1 big onion or 1.5-2 mid sized ones

About 1.5 sticks of celery

4-6 cloves of garlic depending how much you want it

Fresh herbs, whatever you like.. I had thyme and rosmarine

Couple leaves of bay leaf

Salt and pepper

Tomato paste

Couple tins of good quality peeled tomatoes in a can

Beef stock cubes and veg stock cubes

Milk

3 eggs

Lasagna sheets

Low moisture mozzarella, however much you like to have in your lasagna

A hard cheese like parmesan or pecorino, whatever you like

Since the bolognese takes some time to make I made it day before, but it's artist's choice how you'd like to do it yourself.

1. Prep

Get a big pot and start preheating it in medium heat with a good glug of olive oil.

Chop the onion and celery is fine as you can and grate the carrots. Crush the garlic cloves with your knife and run through them. Then put some coarse salt on them and mince em to a pulp. Cut the bacon and remember to take the mince to room temp early so they're not too cold when you start browning them.

2. Start to make the bolognese

Start frying the bacon and fry it till crispy. Put them on a paper towel and try to reserve the oil in the pot. This is where I made a mistake.. Was supposed to brown the meat first and then put the veg, but started pouring in all the veg..

So I cooked the veg on low medium heat and remember to add some salt to draw water from them. You don't want to color them and you want to boil much of the water content away to intensify the flavor. Once the veg is a mush, I put it aside in a bowl.

Add some oil to the pan and increase the heat. Start putting in the meat bit by bit and add salt to again draw the moisture out. Let the water content boil away again to intensify the flavor and start frying the mince. You want to get some nice fond at the bottom of the pot (that's flavor!). Add the bacon back in and create a well in the middle of the pot. Put in about 3-4 table spoons of tomato paste in the well and let it fry for a bit to remove some of the bitter flavor and then mix it in. At this point I actually added some dried herbs too, but it's optional.

3. Time for some waiting..

Add the veg back in and it's now time to deglaze the pot with the wine. I put in about half a bottle, didn't really measure :D. Scrape the bottom of the pan to capture all to good flavor into your sauce. Let the wine reduce until you have a nice meaty winey paste.

Add your tin tomatoes and about the same amount of water. Then add two beef stock cubes and a veg stock cube to start with (add more later if the sauce needs it). Make a bouquet garni of your herbs and add it with the bay leaves. At this point you can try and break down the tomatoes with ladle, but it's not necessary yet, since they'll break down while cooking.

Now comes the long wait. It's gonna take a few hours for the sauce to reduce. Put on a low heat. You just want a small simmer, not a wildly boiling witches cauldron.. Grease and scum is going to gather at the top and you can scrape them off with a spoon while the sauce is reducing. Also stir it every now and then and try and break down the tomatoes.

Once the sauce has reduced add about a cup of milk, let it reduce and then add another cup and let it reduce again. Also before adding the milk start preheating your oven to 375 fahrenheit (about 190 celsius), if you're making the lasagna the same day. Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste. You should now have an amazing creamy and unbelievably flavorful meat sauce. If you're making the bolognese day ahead, this is where you can leave it.

4. Time for lasagna

Take the sauce of the heat or reheat it (and preheat the oven). Separate and add 3 egg yolks into the sauce one by one and stir them in (it'll add so much to the richness..). Take out an oven tray. My ceramic tray was cracked so I had to use a big steel tray so the lasagna didn't become as tall as I wanted, but that's fine..

Grease the tray with a bit of oil..

Put a layer of sauce,

layer of pasta sheets,

layer of sauce,

layer of mozzarella grated or sliced (dealer's choice) and some hard cheese grated,

layer of pasta sheets,

layer of sauce and some fresh herbs,

layer of pasta sheets,

layer of sauce,

layer of mozzarella and hard cheese,

layer of pasta sheets,

final layer of sauce and

mozzarella and hard cheese and some herbs. This time a less mozzarella and more hard cheese.

Of course add layers if you want to :)

Put in the oven for about half an hour. Take it out and LET IT REST! If you cut into it now, it's just going turn out into a sludge. Let it settle at least half an hour.. and now cut into the most sinful, flavorful, masterpiece of a lasagna and enjoy it with some of the wine you used to cook it with.

Have a good day ;P

2015
just_tired is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• You know the recipe is good when you start with a glug of anything.

Your lasagna looks yummy :)

more people should do like you and #treatyoself

Most Helpful Guy

• My mouth is watering, just looking at that. I don't really cook that kind of cuisine, as a rule, but that's easy to follow, and I'm extremely tempted to give that a try...

Thanks for sharing!

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 19

• Oh goodness love your mytakes :-)

• There are two lasagne that I have ever enjoyed in my life:

My dad's eldest sister's
    And one from the best Italian bakery in the entire Greater Toronto Area.

I like a wet lasagna, with no tomato seeds. The best tomatoes to use (IMHO) are San Marzano tomatoes that have been strained.

• Agree on the tomatoes , as long as I can find them. I would use normal mozzarella and ricotta or white sauce to make a wetter lasagna.

• Yeah, we do!

It's possible that it's also a regional difference.

• Thought so.. and maybe.. Was going to use ricotta also, but couldn't find it in the shops :/

• I swear I want to eat lasagne since days! I`m craving it lately so much and now this! haha that`s just so mean, but thank you for sharing, I guess I now have to make myself one lol

• 👏👏👏 nvr thought ab using anything other than ground beef maybe some sausage but lamb that's a step up, and it looks rustic fantastic job

• Thank you! Used sausage a few times. Thought about using a stew meat some time..

• Really anything could work if its done right

• and guaranteed cancer inducing and heart disease inducing lol

• Well aren't you the Polly positive... It's good to live a little!

• I understand, yes it is better to consume raw tomato, cooking can alter food, there are better cooking methods but if possible, better try to eat raw food 🍅✔️
      I hope they can enjoy lasagna anyway heheh

• @Plumy true, what you say is correct. raw is unbeatable in terms of least harm.

• dayyuumm that looks so good XD definitely an awesome way to #treatyoself ! XD

• if I could cook that well or my husband could cook that well, then I would be obese. Thank God neither one of us can cook and we just do that frozen pizza stuff.

• I totally understand you but Lasagna could be eaten occasionally like for holidays, parties, or family gatherings.

• @Princesslee16 we can't cook lasagna, we just eat frozen lasagna.

• Mmm, this looks really nice. I'm a big Lasagna fan and would love to try that recipe.

• Yummy. <3

• Are you a chef?

• It was pretty close that I might have been, but chose to go to the engineering route instead. Pretty avid amateur chef though :)

• Hahaha that’s good too!

• he can't cook he said that he is drunk in find land god lol

• wow!

• You're awesome thank you!

• This looks yumm!!

• Wow! Now I'm hungry :)

• This will definitely be tested soon. 😵

• I may have a go at that this - thank you

• Now I am so hungry! Looks delicious.

• I will tell my chef to do it

• Just came here to say I'm not going to torture myself by reading this, especially on an empty stomach. Food teasing isn't fun when I'm the one being teased...

What Guys Said 14

• i love that you added carrots and celery into it. i also do this with most ground beef tomato based sauces i make. however i personally would have added béchamel just for that more rich taste... i mean if you're gonna sin, go all the way at least :D

• i think crushed wallnuts and/or pine nuts are a good addition to the ground beef.

• I don't really like putting bechamel in my lasagnas, but would have put ricotta if I had found some.

• Bechamel sauce on its own isn't so good, that's true. But it enhances the flavors it accompanies in my opinion.

• Looks pretty good, Lasagna is my favorite food. I use a different recipe (ends up having a lot more meat and thick cheese sauce in the layers), and I suspect would personally prefer that, but that is just me.

• Dude, you're from Finland, just stick at what finns are good at, wich is being drunk and depressed, don't give cooking advices...

• That looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'm going to have to give it a try.

• I'm damn jelly
    I neither have a girlfriend nor a lasagne😢

• no wonder you can't cook a girl likes a guy that can cook thats whey l get all the girls learn to cook and you will get lots of girls honest it works dont act like a jelly girls dont like it when you jelly about

• @BOUNTYGUY9 lol I was jk
      You were supposed to get a joke😂

• Try artichokes and peas lasagna, that's like a fucking orgie, to compare.

• I will never make this (because I don't cook), but it does indeed look good

• thats a whole lot of mince are you on the pot?

• No, but I am drunk. I wanted to make a really meaty lasagna :P

• what you make lasagna in findland god we make mine in scotland lol drunk mine and haggis pies dont burn the house done its so cold outside

• ... are you drunk? You're not making any sense...

• Awesome!

• Awesome stuff, 'Pres'

• Tastes so good, make you wanna slap yo momma

• Sounds great I’ll have to try it.

• where is the Bechamel Sauce? you can't call it a 'lasagna' without the bechamel sauce! How dare you?
    you have insulted all italians

• It doesn't necessarily have to have bechamel. Many Italians use ricotta instead of bechamel. Sticking to strict rules is silly and completely against what Italian cooking is about. It's about making simple good food with the ingredients you happen to have.

• I guess I just came in my underwear