My boyfriend hates my cooking... any ideas?

Hey y’all. So I’ll admit I’m not the best cook out there and my boyfriend ALWAYS complains about my food. He doesn’t cook much but I make dinner every night and he's just like ehhh. I try to mix it up but whatever lol at least he gets a meal every night. What are some of your favorite things?

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• In order to help I would need to know what you are cooking.

I am a cook for a living and what ever you are making keep it simple never more than 5 ingredients.

Pork chops, mashed potatoes and Green beans.
    Pork chops
    Salt and pepper and cook in frying pan.
    Mashed potatoes
    Cook potatoes in salted water until fork tender drain butter and milk. Salt and pepper.
    Fresh green beans put in boiling water until tender but still crisp. Drain salt and pepper and garlic powder and butter.

1|0
    1|0
    • What are some good non dairy recipes

• OK replace the mashed potatoes with roasted potato fingerlings. Tossed in olive oil with Thyme and Rosemary.

Use dairy free butter like I can't believe it's not butter. Use SILK instead of milk.

• Taste everything. Add in small increments. Do not be afraid to experiment. Take my dinner for tonight as an example. My dinner tonight is based off of japanese shoyu ramen. Ramen cooked in beef stock with 2 soft boiled eggs, 1 vidalia onion, and grilled spam because I'm out of meat seasoned with black pepper. While not ideal it is a decent easy recipe. Learn to cook. Lots of youtube channels devoted to teaching the art of cooking. Practise is very important. I am 30 years old with 28 years of cooming under my belt. I began at 2 cracking eggs for my great grandmother to bake cookies. She went through and picked out all the egg shells. I been cooking ever since. Have patience. It does not happen over night.

0|0
    1|0
    • Also do not be afraid of gadgets. For example my egg in my ramen. 148 degrees in a sous vide. The yolk is like custard the whites are runny like a jelly. Which i like as it blends well in ramen. You could also use room temp eggs and boil them for 7 1/2 minutes eggsactly. The whites will be set better. Still delicious. Think about flavors. Spam from the can is incredibly salty in my opinion. When grilled on A hot indoor electric continental grill its still salty but less so and kinda like bacon. It brings the whole thing together without salting the dish.

Most Helpful Girls

• How bout you tell him to stop bitching cuz at least you’re making an effort. What’s he doing? Complaining instead of taking initiative to cook. He’s not even giving you CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. He’ll be alright. Don’t worry about it too much. You’re doing what you can.

2|1
    0|0
  • Just stop cooking for a week. Make yourself salads or eat after work. Let him complain. Tell him to man up and provide you with some food every once in a while. Ask him last him he cooked for you. Tell him exactly what his last complaint was about your food. Don't let him treat you like his mother. It's not your job to parent a grown ass man. If he dumps you because he expects a hot meal, then let him go because he ain't worth you time. Imagine having his ingratitude for the next 40-50 years. It's really not worth it and that kind of resentment and lazy behavior is what leads to divorce

3|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 83

• Ungrateful BOY.
    A man with any sense of maturity will thank his partner for putting in the effort to cook. I mean, it's something any decent human being would do. Someone puts in the effort to prepare something for you, and, regardless of whether that thing suits your taste or not, you say thank you and tell them you appreciate their efforts - and mean it.

If I were, I'd seriously consider having a chat with him about his attitude. Better to nip this in the bud sooner rather than later.

1|0
    0|0
  • Here, I'll help. It doesn't matter what our favorite things are. All that matters are his favorite things. What foods, and tastes, does he like?
    I am a pretty good cook. But my personal tastes are heavy spices and kick you in the mouth flavors. My last ex hated that cooking style, so I cooked differently for her, than if I cooked for myself. As any good chef does.
    As a quick fix, I would suggest signing up for one of the dozens of meal prep box programs. Like Blue Apron or the others online. You pick a week's worth of meals online (he could even pick the meals) and the box arrives with all the ingredients, instructions, and the WHY you're doing it. So you learn how to cook, and get step by step help, with (hopefully) better ingredients.
    They're all basically the same, though some have more vegan, glutten, or meat type meals than others. I suggest trying them all (most have coupons for first time customers) then go to what his (and your) favory is.
    You get meal ideas, instructions, and happy times.

0|1
    0|0
    • Go to blueapron. com/battle and your first 3 meals will be free, pick the ones the sound good to you and they'll show up at your doorstep fresh, pre proportioned, and with easy to follow instructions. That's blueapron. com/battle

• You'll love how good it feels and taste to make fresh home cooked meals

• i like cooking, also because i lift weights and need to get my diet in check, knowing how to cook can make diets less bland and boring! sometimes i even sign up for these 2 hour cooking classes locally for fun like this:

0|1
    0|0
    • Yo what is that? It looks pretty good

• @The_Flying_Camel sorry i had to look for the recipe handouts they gave out that night because i forgot the name, too. but it's called herb marinated steak with roquefort butter. the potatoes are just baked potatoes with herbs. and then there's the lemon souffle with fresh strawberry sauce, but we failed it because we work in groups of 4s in the class and the girl in charge of the souffle messed up for most of the parts, i told her to mix it in one direction only and she just mixes it left and right, and the souffle came out all soggy looking and mushy inside instead of puffing out like how it's supposed to look.

• Oh, that sucks

• Sit down with him and work out a meal plan, discuss what you both like, what kind of meats, veggies and such are the favorites to start. Tons of good recipe sites online where you can search for dishes made with certain ingredients, allrecipes. com is one.

0|1
    0|0
  • Buy a copy of the joy of cooking and use the recipes in there. It will explain how to successfully salute, broil, etc. It has a good grounding in how to cook all things to the correct consistency for it to taste good and be safe to eat. Other than that, try increasing/decreasing the salt you add to your food. That is most people's mistake

0|0
    0|0
  • Take a cooking class together maybe. If you just have a simple class you will probably have some fun too. Most are just a bunch of simple people trying to get better and they teach you to make pasta from scratch and how seasonings work. I personally love cooking because I was taught how to make it more fun rather than just salt and pepper seasoned.

1|1
    0|0
  • Tell him to get off his lazy ass and make something then. If you're pretty much the one who always cooks them he can deal with it. But if you really want to just impress him then there are several cooking shows you can watch that really help. Gordon Ramsay, Alton Brown, Emeral

1|0
    0|0
  • The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. :)
    But it's true. The cooking shows are a wealth of ideas and information.
    If the desire is there you'll improve with practice, by doing it.

OTOH, he may be expecting you to be his mother. A giant fail.

0|0
    0|0
  • maybe the little boy is comparing your cooking to his mommy's or is a poor little picky eater... poor fella...

also, you have lots of options like meals from the store that are semi prepared and very tasty, stuff like that... I would just continue cooking if I were you and I would cook healthy food.. also you have lots of good food cooking channels on you tube with tons of ideas and "how to" instructions, if you need any I think I can find you some good ones

0|0
    0|0
  • Spaghetti bolognese but honestly my idea is to tell him to cook lol to "show you how it's done" I'm sure he won't complain much after its his turn haha besides it's rare to get a girl that'll cook for you anyway a lot of girls my age don't even know how to cook anything so eh

0|0
    0|0
  • Challenge yourself. Find a recipe that doesn't require a lot of effort but you know will taste fantastic.

For me personally, cooking is a fantastic stress relief. I like to attempt new things on a regular basis.

Mediterranean food is actually pretty easy to make and tastes wonderful. Try something like chicken Gyros. Prep time is relatively short. The payoff is well worth it.

0|0
    0|0
  • So, you make dinner for one. He's a big boy and if he can't use his big boy words with you to let you know what he likes he is S. O. L. don't like it, then don't eat it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I might be a little young for this situation but food is something I like and know some tricks... I think that you should talk to his mother and get some "lessons" from her in this cooking thing because your boyfriend might be comparing the taste of the food you make with the one he used to eat when he was young... hope it helps :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Is it your cooking or the specific food. Maybe he's just really boring when it comes to food and would rather eat spaghetti and meatballs every day than be adventures. If you don't want to make the food I see no reason he couldn't do it.

0|1
    0|0
  • If he was a good boyfriend, you'd never know u were a bad cook.

4|1
    0|0
  • Hi there. I'm a fine dining chef with a degree in culinary arts. I'd be glad to give you cooking lessons, and wouldn't break your bank account.

0|0
    0|0
  • Learn how to cook the dishes he likes to eat at restaurants. If they are too expensive to make, make note the taste of those dish and make your own recipe base on it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends do you really want to?

My brother frustrates people sooo much they don’t ask him to do anything. His policy do things so badly people won’t ask you to do it ever again.

0|0
    0|0
  • Cooking boneless, skinless chicken breast in teriyaki and pinapples on top. Use a little bit of pineapple juice in the pan so it don't dry aout. Cover with foil and bake at 425 for 1 hour.

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe he should cook or help out instead of putting you down.

4|0
    0|0
  • Watch youtube recipes. Gather ingredients and follow steps exactly.

1|2
    0|0
  • Ask him to cook with you. Being in touch with your own food makes it all the way better.

0|1
    0|0
  • It’s one thing to complain, but another to rarely ever cook himself. I’d suggest reading cookbooks and watching cooking shows

1|0
    0|0
  • Buy hamburgers and pass them off as your own 'steamed hams'.

1|1
    1|0
  • Take turns in cooking, cook together, look up some good and tasty recipes on the internet together. Teach each other, learn from each other. Be a good couple. :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Cook better than before.
    Try new recipes. Refer internet.
    U can even try to cook fast foods if ur boyfriend like fast food.
    That's what we can suggest you.

0|0
    1|0
  • Greek food, try this easy one
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BtFp2FG72s

0|0
    0|1
  • I got an idea, dump his inconsiderate ass and date a guy who appreciates it

3|0
    0|0
  • Ask his mom what he liked and maybe have her show you how to make some of the stuff he liked.

1|1
    0|0
  • Get recipes from the internet and follow them to the letter! Don't get distracted!

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 26

• You know what if your boyfriend truly loves you he wouldn't complain instead he would say thank u I appreciate it.. or something regards to it

I look on YouTube and recipes on Google and watch food channel for ideas. And cookbooks as well

You Can try to make :
    Spaghetti with a side of salad / vegtables/ fruit / yogurt ( any kind will work ) with also Texas toast
    Nachos
    And so much more

0|0
    0|0
    • Also my boyfriend make a the best food ever and ill give u one of his recipes :
      Fettuccine Alfredo with either shrimp or chicken or tuna with sweetpeas
      And so much more

• Pasta is the easiest thing to make taste good. Just buy dry pasta noodles, boil in salt water according to the package, and throw meat and vegetables into a prepared sauce with a couple of extra spices. Ta dah.

1|1
    0|0
  • Try cooking something near impossible to get wrong... Spaghetti bolognese or chicken stew are good ones. Once your skill improves, you'll find one day you perfect your recipe.

0|0
    0|0
  • spaghetti is really easy and tells him that you cook to be nice and that you love him he doesn't need you to cook because he can make his own sandwich if he his hungry and if he doesn't like it he should cook for you and show you how he likes it if it keeps going on even after all of this dump his sorry ass because if he can't stand somthing like cooking or food he is not worth it

0|0
    0|0
  • Tell him to cook for himself. After reading that Im happy that my boyfriend eats everything I cook if its not greasy /oily or too salty. Even so. If he doesn't like something he cooks for himself. Its not your job to cook for your man if he doesn't like it and he doesn't appreciate it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Tell him that if he doesn't want to eat your food and doesn't like that he can make his own food. He is a grown man after all.

1|0
    0|0
  • Dont cook for him

He has his own hands. he CAN cook for himself😏

5|0
    0|0
  • Look for some cooking classes, check out some recipes out on YouTube..

But honestly spaghetti and meatmalls and eggplant parmesan is so easy to make

Yet so tummy 😋

0|0
    0|0
  • Cook dinner together... it can be fun, and you both can learn new things about cooking or recipes, and you will get to see what he likes.

0|0
    0|0
  • Easy. Let him starve. What kind of ungrateful bullshit is he on?

3|0
    0|1
  • I mean do you like your cooking? Because maybe it’s just him and if it is then he needs to get over it because you’re not his mom or grandma ( I go through it with my boyfriend too)

0|0
    0|0
  • LOL he doesn't cook much but dares to complain?😂😂
    How about you tell him he can take over then if he's not satisfied or he can shut the hell up.

0|0
    0|0
    • Women expects things from men
      Why men can't do the same

• Cause its not i either expect something from him or he does from me. There are compromises in relationships, they both gotta give as much as the other.

• Thank God i can cook the best food in the world... But I am single... at least you have a boyfriend and your boyfriend has a girlfriend.. be grateful. people

0|0
    1|0
  • Lol I can’t help you sadly. I suck a cooking and hate cooking. Cooked for my boyfriend twice and he hated both meals. I said SOL!

0|0
    0|0
  • tell him to make his own food or stfu u don’t owe the man shit

0|0
    0|0
  • How about he cooks his own damn meals then.

4|0
    0|0
  • Tell him to be a big boy and cook his own shit.

2|0
    0|0
  • Honestly I'd stop making him food

2|0
    0|0
  • Make him do it then

0|0
    0|0
  • Spinach/pasta
    Green bean casserole
    Homemade soup

0|0