Changes to GAG: What's new in this update?

GirlsAskGuys a

As many of you have probably already noticed, there have been a few changes to the GirlsAskGuys layout and features! Here's a short run-down of some of the things that were changed/tweaked in the recent update.

1. Live Feed. Filtering is easier and much simpler now.

You can filter by users you follow (buddy icon) and topics you follow(books icon). Filtering by age and post type was removed. Post types (Recent Questions and myTakes can be accessed from the top "Feed" menu).

A few things to note:

The Live Feed will default to no filters selected. Once you click something in the filter, the Live Feed items will show based on that.

After you make your filter selections you can click/tap on "Remember" button and save your filter setting. This way you will see the same filter setup everytime you land on the Feed page. Selected filters will have "green" circle around them.

The post types you will see in the feed:

- No filters selected:

Questions
Question Opinions
Question Updates
MHO Awarded to a user

Opinion Comment from a user you follow
All Promoted myTake (colored bulb icon)
All Promoted myTake Opinions (colored bulb icon)
myTake from a user you follow (gray bulb icon)
myTake Opinon from a user you follow (gray bulb icon)
myTake Opinion Comment from a user you follow (gray and colored bulb)

- Followed Users filter selected ("buddy" icon)

Questions from users you follow
Question Opinions from users you follow
Question Opinion Comments from users you follow
Question Updates from users you follow
MHO Awarded to a user you follow
All myTakes from users you follow
All myTakes Opinions from users you follow
All myTake Opinion Comments from users you follow

- Followed Topics icon selected ("books" icon)

Questions from Topics you follow
Question Opinions from Questions you follow
Question Updates from Questions you follow
Question Opinion Comments from Questions you follow
MHO Awarded for a Question you follow
Promoted myTakes (colored bulb) from Topics you follow
Promoted myTake (colored bulb) Opinions from myTakes you follow
Promoted myTake (colored bulb icon) Opinion Comments from myTakes you follow
All myTakes from users you follow (Including gray bulb icons)
All myTakes Opinions from users you follow (Including gray bulb icons)
All myTake Opinion Comments from users you follow (Including gray bulb icons)

In the feed filtering section, followed topics and followed users cannot be selected at the same time.

Posts from users and topics you blocked will not be in your feed.

2. New "Feed Menu" options! We have now separated recent "Questions" and "myTakes" in the menu. When visiting these pages, you can also filter by users you follow and topics you follow, similar to how you would filter on the Live Feed.

Tell us what you think. How do you use the site? How do you like the new flow? Any feedback?

For Help on all your questions about G@G please visit the FAQ Page.

25
25

Most Helpful Guy

• WhiteSteve
    To be completely honest, the layout of the site was best like 2-3 years ago. There's way too many bells and whistles now, and it makes simple-minded folks like myself frightened and confused😆 I really liked the basic layout, everything was easy and required no explanation, there were maybe 6-8 categories of questions, and you just scrolled through and read what you wanted. I don't need all these filters and feeds and Op-Ed pieces and such. I'd endorse one simple site feed with all the recent activity, then a few broad categories to search under with a list of recently asked questions in said category. Speaking of feeds, all the big pictures that accompany the Takes on the feed drive me nuts. The words get lost in all the pictures to me. My motto for websites is: K. I. S. S. - Keep It Simple, Stupid👍
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girl

• JoahZ10nT
    @GirlsAskGuys
    Why the hell!! You guys keep. chaning this page!! No wonder a lot of active users left
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

2424
  • mooky06
    I'm not sure how I feel about it. Quite unsure actually.
    • KidInk4

Oh mooky pooky, I think you like it

• vjreejr
    I think you need to stop making modifications and, in particular taking-away functionality. This site is becoming like when Facebook was its most annoying. Jesus fucking Christ, you people need to find a way to resurrect Steve Jobs and have him teach you how to make a great product instead of something mediocre.

Here's some reading for the beach:
    1. How Steve Jobs' Love of Simplicity Fueled A Design Revolution
    www.smithsonianmag.com/.../?no-ist
    2. The 6 Pillars Of Steve Jobs's Design Philosophy
    www.fastcodesign.com/.../the-6-pillars-of-steve-jobss-design-philosophy
    3. 13 Steve Jobs Quotes for Creatives and Designers
    www.slideshare.net/.../13-stevejobsquotesforcreativesanddesigners
    • menguc

What changes did you not like?

• vjreejr

The #1 change that I do not like is the removal of age filtering. The #2 change that I do not like is the removal of the "remembered filter" on the Live Feed.

My time is valuable and a major way for people to save time is by doing personal data mining which means filtering undesirable information from desirable information. Each site change over the past month or two has increased the time needed to access information and react to that information.

• Eugene
    @menguc
    The only way right now to see popular questions (my favorite tab before) is to type manually https://www.girlsaskguys.com/POPULAR?t=questions

Like, seriously, guys: you have some weird obsession of removing things that weren't broken to begin with.
    • The popular questions can be found by hovering over the "feed" tab on the top blue bar, and then clicking on "featured." Popular questions and myTakes appears there.

• Eugene

And it just sends to a main page that looks like some kind of an instagram mess instead of a proper nice list like it was before.

• Red_Arrow
    "Live Feed. Filtering is easier and much simpler now." Yeah, right! Not! the two icons (buddy and books) are not clear. there is no description when you hover over them. The fact that you have to describe them in this myTake shows that they are not intuitive. Just putting the hover feature there would improve that.

Removal of "excess" filters. To a large number of people, those filters were "essential". Removing them made using G@G less enjoyable to many. The age filter was definitely one as you can see by the opinions so far.

"Growth" and "evolution" can be good things. But they can be bad. And continual change is in itself bad because it keeps changing what one must know to properly use the site.

Want something to fix? How about the icon that shows you where the cursor is? When typing in an opinion or comment and you see a mistake, you should be able to go back and set the cursor (an "I" bar) where you need to go. Instead, you see a hand with finger extended, which is the icon for selecting a link. It has been that way for a while now and I figured you would have seen it weeks ago and fixed it. Now that is something that "needs" fixing.
    • menguc

Hi Red_Arrow thanks for the feedback. The hover over "tooltip" on filters is something we are thinking about implementing. However, hover over actions only work on desktop, they are useless on mobile. So, we are trying to find a solution to this both on mobile and desktop.
      Regarding age filters; we looked at our stats. The usage of age filters is so minimal among the users that we think we can make that sacrifice to simplify the filters. There may be other options for users to filter by age. Filtering in the profile settings is an option. We are looking into that.
      The "hand" cursor is only on myTake opinion text box. On questions, it is the "I" that's being used. We'll fix this on myTake opinion boxes asap. Thanks for reminding us.

• @menguc

if you need a way to have a 'hover' info option thing for touch screens, make it so that the link you need more info for, you simply touch and hold until the info pops up. I don't know how easy or hard that would be to make it so, but it's an idea.

• LibraPisces66
    Removing the age selection was wrong. I don't want to wade through all the age groups. Nor do I want to be forced to view all the my takes or featured questions. Both take way too much time, and are tedious to sift through. I am fast losing interest in the site thanks to these changes.
    • menguc

Age filter usage was statistically so low that we decided to eliminate it from the feed to make it simpler for all. We may however implement age filtering through profile settings. This is an open ticket we have. Thanks for the feedback.

• vjreejr

Nuclear weapons usage is statistically low too, but it's not smart to get rid of them.
      Jesus Fucking Christ, think! Decisions solely based on statistics are often decisions that lead to historical errors... like "New Coke" or "Race Together". I do avionics software. The statistical probability of a bit flip from radiation as an aircraft is flying is statistically low - but we have to design for just that event. That's why you can fly safely with no airplane crashes due to "a blue screen of death" from a bit flip.

• True, and if you think so little of the average user here that you feel you have to dumb it down even further by taking ONE filter option away then you may as well fold up shop and call it a day, because kids that stupid or lazy really can't be helped (it is true that you can't fix stupid). Otherwise you are going to lose those of us here who are intelligent and trying to help them. And trust me, from what I've seen and read there are NOT many of us to spare. Please stop trying to invent a new mousetrap. The system was fine and intuitive to use as it was. Now, it's just a pain to use. I have stopped using the Feed feature entirely, and it probably won't take me much longer to get fully fed up and just leave. This is now the second major design change in just the TWO months that I've been a member, which is just ridiculous and too much. Please at least put the age filter back the way, and not hidden away in a user's settings profile where it has to be constantly accessed to be changed.

• Mesonfielde
    I think the removal of age filters was unnecessary, as some people have definitely been using that to stop seeing all the "my crush blushed as he put his hands between my thighs, what does this mean" kind of under 18 questions. I wasn't, but I can see why they would.

Otherwise, the other filter became a feed menu option, which makes sense I guess.
    • I somewhat hope that next update will include the question event type filters coming back, they have been removed ages ago even though it was quite useful. Now that questions are separate from mytakes, there is no reason not to add them back.

• The ability to hide questions you have already seen from the feed would be a nice filter option, too.

• menguc

The age filter is not being used a lot... And when I say alt, statistically it is one of the least used features on site. That's why we decided to eliminate it from the feed to make it simpler. We may however implement profile settings for age filtering in the future.
      Question event types: Only "opinion comments" from "all users" missing at this point. If you filter the Feed by "users I follow" you will see the opinion comments from users you follow.. There is so much activity on the feed that if we show opinion comments feed gets unreasonably busy. So we decided to include Opinion Comments only from users you follow.
      The ability to hide questions should be optional. We are working on a solution for this too. Maybe another setting in profile settings.

• nert73
    I'm not liking all these changes. They just take time to figure out and get used to. They don't benefit me any and they usually just seem like a waste. Something you could do is take the recommended myTakes thing off the side of the screen. It makes the screen glitch and it's quite annoying.
    • menguc

What kind of browser are you using? And what kind of glitch are you seeing with myTakes module on the side? Can you send a screen shot if possible? Thanks for the feedback.

• nert73

@menguc I'm on a Kindle Fire HDX with Silk browser. I don't have any way to send a screenshot. By glitching I mean it overlaps the feed and once I get past the feed the myTakes stick to the side and don't move until I'm back up. Then they overlap for a few seconds before going back to normal.

• Ah, it does that to me sometimes to. I use chrome.

• YourFutureEx
    Cool update.

Every tab has a drop down menu but not "Topics" so, it'd be good if it has it too so that I'd access it with one less click and one less page.

And don't waste time in implementing the hashtags to (recommended) opinions and (not recommended) comments too so that users would like to use them otherwise the momentum will be lost and it'll get extinct.
    • menguc

topics pages notes.. not sure about hashtags, can you elaborate?

• @menguc - I mean, give opinions the support to trend the hashtags as soon as you can because people aren't using them as expected. I don't think giving support to opinion comments to trend hashtags would be a good idea as it'd add clutter and hashtag spamming.

• linkywinky
    Implement a way to block mytakes from our feeds if you're going to make them obnoxiously in our face.
    • menguc

are you on mobile or desktop? What do you think about featured questions displayed currently on your feed?

• linkywinky

@menguc I use both but am currently on mobile. I'm fine with featured questions because I'll actually read those. I'm not interested in reading articles, as mytakes are, so they annoy me.

• menguc

I understand... with featured questions it's different; meaning if you viewed a featured question you won't see any other post in place of that. But we do display more myTakes if you viewed the featured ones... We'll look into that. In the mean time, you can use the top "Feed" menu to go to "Questions" if you don't want to see any myTakes... Thanks for the feedback.

• BellePepper
    Ugh. I'm sorry but I really don't like this update. The site keeps getting harder to use instead of easier. What do the symbols at the top of the page mean? I don't know because when I hover over them it doesn't tell me. I have to click to find out.

The Live Feed page has smaller and lighter font than the other pages and it's really uncomfortable to read. Everything on the feed pages feels farther away. I also don't like the individual white boxes on the feed with the grey behind them. it breaks things up and it's more work for the eye to follow. Like WAY more work :/

I've been fiddling around for like 10 minutes now and I still can't work out how to filter by age.
    • Did you figure it out? I still can't get it :/

• @dangerDoge I haven't unfortunately :/

• I also don't like featured questions being interspersed in the feed. It's easier when they're at the top.

• AustinMan
    I feel like it's imperative to filter out questions from the under 18 group. There may be some legal exposure (pun intended) to replying to those questions is one is an adult. I hope you'll reintroduce the age filtering with the ability to select multiple ages/age groups/ranges.
  • HandsomeRaj
    Thank you for sharing the scope of changes with the users :)

The only thing that is missing and does make a difference personally to me is the filtering by age. Is it ok to ask why GAG didn't find it relevant to keep that part of GAG alive? :)

I do like most changes but yes I must agree with most of the GAGers that GAG's look seems to be a painter's canvas that's constantly metamorphosing which bothers most users :) Imagine tremors every week is neither enjoyable nor news :)
  • findingdreamland
    Some of the updates are cool. Like I like new live feed. But clicking on images on comments is not a good idea.
    And to ask question , there is a quick way as I see. One line on the upper of the page. I do not think it is neccessary. Since it leads to main posting question page.
    Too many options on the menu is a good one. It makes it easier.
  • AleDeEurope
    I don't dislike nor like the new changes, let me see how things end up working, well, lets hope I have time to get used to it before you guys change it again xD I love the fact that you take care of the community, but I don't think it's necessary so many changes constantly.
    I'd like to know why you make changes every month or so.
    • menguc

We are still in a development phase... We make changes to better suite to users' needs. However I can tell you that this was the last big update for sometime to come. But do please give your feedback. We'd like to know how you want to use the site, how and what content you want to see. So keep it coming :)

• @menguc Oh ok, thanks for replying. I honestly don't have a specific type of questions I like to answer, I just go with the mood and what people ask, if I think it's interesting I'll click on it. I just roam around the live feed and see what's interesting.

• menguc

cool... let me know if you have any ideas

• HuckyHucky
    ERMAGERD. I can't with these changes. It's ridiculous that the question "How do you like the new flow?" even has to be asked. The overall discontent with these unnecessary changes should be obvious.
  • TheDevilInside
    I sometimes wish you guys would tell us your reasons for doing things. It baffles me sometimes
  • Watermelonoma
    tbh, i rarely understand all the of the complaints people have with some of these updates. I've only taken issue with a couple, which was the one with the images that needed to be clicked to view them, and the fade out of opinions. Thankfully both of those seem to have been reversed. But in terms of site navigation, the updates have always been pretty intuitive/self explanatory.
    • correction... the fade out thing is still here. that's something im not super fond of... but the navigation/filtering changes are good

• John_Doesnt
    Don't like it, don't like it, don't like it. I don't like any of the new changes. This site changes every week and that just confuses people.
    Just keep things the way they are so I don't have to readjust to the new changes.
  • 1-3-2-4
    This site changes too much for me to figure out what the hell changed week after week.. between the same 1,000 of questions asked over and over and charges on the site without warning I don't really come on here much anymore.
  • RainbowFanGirl
    It's ok I guess. The only thing I'm not too fond of is that you got rid of the popular question tab. Now I don't know what I can look at and stuff. I really liked that.
  • samanthamayxo
    Please make a filter for ages! I'd really rather see stuff from people around my age versus very young kids.
  • vishna
    I like this update.

There is one thing I don't like, but I'm not using that feature right now so I forgot :C ugh
  • front2back
    Removing the popular tab was detrimental towards my experience, please include it back in, Thank you!
    • menguc

You can view the popular questions on the Homepage (featured).
      Just click on the "Featured" link from the top "Feed" menu and you will see all popular posts in the same order as it was before. However, we are thinking of new ways to insert popular questions to the feed. We'll do more about popular posts don't worry. For now, as I described above please use the "Featured" (Homepage) view.

• springocelot
    Why do you guys keep changing things that don't need fixing?

The only good change that happened since the major layout change last year was the @mention feature. Every change after that has been crap. You can at least warn us before you make the change.

Now, you're asking us to donate too. That to me is proof that these new changes suck.

You guys are trying too hard to make this like windows8 or facebook, etc. Like WhiteSteve said, GaG doesn't need bells and whistles. Just bring GaG back to something it's not right now - simple and user friendly.
  • Creole_Flavor
    For the next update can you something useful? Maybe find a way to persuade GaGers to use the search function or filter common questions being asked with keywords and not allow it to be asked, instead direct them to an everlasting list of questions similar to whats being asked. Instead of recommended questions which many people find annoying, commonly asked questions should be asked there since its always n our faces people will be persuaded to click and likely will not ask the same thing. Also people are still complaining about there questions not being answered that's mainly because we can't see them unless we filter. The hashtag thing useless like come on don't you guys ever listen. I can't speak for everyone but these are general concerns that know other people have so I'm sure you have seen it too but f not now you know.
    • menguc

Thanks for the feedback... I hear you.. We need a better way to show similar questions to askers before they ask... but in reality every question has its own unique details. For example, all "does he like me?" questions have unique details... And the asker wants to get personalized opinions. We're working on improving the search results.. We will also implement a recommended questions algorithm to askers to help the asker more.

• Thanks :)

• xnoiseandkissesx
    I wish GAG would get rid of these annoying fucking ads that pop up everywhere and make it run slow.
    • Hannah591

If you get to level 7, they're hidden.

• KidInk4

You need ad block plus, babe, you'll love it. Google it

• Keyspirits
    These updates is getting lame seriously 😒 now it takes 3 click to share an opinion from the newsfeed!! So rediculously. The previous one was a lot more simple with 1 click of a button.
  • Take2
    This is the only layout I know, and I've only use it on my phone, but it feels fairly intuitive to me. I like it.
  • Ozanne
    When I hover my mouse over Feed I don't get a drop down menu with the arrows on the right hand side. Is that normal?
    • The menu has arrows on mobile, but on PC there are no arrows.

• Ozanne

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

• Cowboy6666
    I don't like that you removed the popular question option , I bet we will now given less input/answers in our questions now. :(
  • Nonisee
    I would have loved to see multiple MHO option in addition to an icon on a question which is already answered by me? Or change in text color?
    • menguc

What do you mean by "multiple MHO option"?

• CityBoy773

I think she means you can choose more than one MHO, which I agree with because some people just have awesome things to say but you can only choose one. Can we at least choose two?

• Nonisee

CityBoy773 just answered - exactly what I meant. Thank you :)

• CityBoy773
    Mind allowing us to put myTakes in something other than sexual behavior and help?
  • TheGrumpyCat
    Great changes, but now the mobile browser takes up more ram, so mobile site on low end android phones may face occasional lags.
  • GirlScoutsRevenge
    I think these changes are ironing out the issues with the last updates, I like it so far :)
  • douride2
    Another update! Well I guess we'll get used to it after a few days.
    • douride2

I see you can't filter questions by age any more or am I missing something. I liked that option

• douride2

You know what it's been a week now I dislike it more every time I log on. The feed is almost useless without the age filter. Well that's my opinion anyways.

• douride2

So it seems because the stats said not many are using the age filters you got rid of it? WHY? was it slowing things down now If I want to check out the questions I have to sift through piles of he looked at me, she said this, what's it mean. It was so much easier to filter the underage out.

• Doffydood
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1581401-do-you-think-ages-on-polls-would-be-a-good-idea
    ^this please! :P
    Also, I think it would be useful if we could "bookmark" questions that we want to see opinions for but aren't interested in answering ourselves, so we can find them quickly later. It would be something like this:
    i.prntscr.com/4388e31237b1403e909599085ff75b5f.png
    Obviously, it would drop down and there would be a little "X" next to each question, so you can remove it easily :)

I'm probably thinking too much about this.
    • menguc

Doffydood, thanks for the feedback... I've noted your feedback about poll results being diesplayed with age data.
      Also, you can actually bookmark questions by "following" them. You will see an orange icon (next to the Facebook, Twitter, Google+ social icons). This orange icon has the G@G circles in it. If you click on this icon you will start following that question. This is also possible with myTakes, just click on the same orange icon.
      You can view all the questions and myTakes you follow on your profile under "Followings". This way you can bookmark them and go back whenever you want. And also, you will see the new posts (updates, opinions, opinion comments) to questions and myTakes you follow on your Live Feed.
      If you filter your Live Feed using the "content" filter ("books" icon on your Feed filters) you will only see content from what you follow.
      Let me know if this helps.

• Doffydood

Ohhhh, I never noticed that before! I tend to ignore anything to do with social media, so I guess I ignored it. Now I feel a bit stupid for not seeing it before :P
      It's good to know that you're already ahead of me though!

• xxbebosxx
    why do you keep making idiotic changes?
    • Star_Lord

Because we need to evolve, We need to changes. In this world everything is changing. Even you !

• xxbebosxx

@Star_Lord evolve or change for the better and not worse. lately gag has been doing some unnecessary changes that people either disagree with or hate

• djvtech

@Star_Lord Removing useful features is not evolving, it's DEVOLVING.

• 9mfeo
    Can we not with the changes please.
  • Bards
    I DONT LIKE CHANGE
    • KidInk4

The only thing constant IS change

• Bards

@KidInk4 it still sucks

• VanillaLavender
    How about making it possible to delete questions... that would be a nice change.
  • helpha
    Please bring back IM chat
  • ThisDudeHere
    I don't like it.
  • BertMacklinFBI
    what happened to "Popular" questions/section?
    • The popular questions can be found on the homepage. If you hover over the "Feed" tab on the top blue bar, click on "featured" and you will see the "popular" questions and myTakes.

• jeewangw
    When there will be update on chat box?
  • abundantlyrich
    I'm getting cross eyed.
  • Krushhbrownies
    An edit feature would have been nice but NOoooo.
  • Anonymous
    When I click on the mytakes, there is no recents one, only the promoted ones. How do I make it so that I see the most recents again, not just ones that you guys like?
    • menguc

Only "promoted myTakes" and "unpromoted myTakes from users you follow" are listed on "myTakes" page. Unpromoted myTakes from "users you follow" are also listed in your feed.

• Anonymous
    "Filtering by age and post type was removed."

Oh yay, remove even more filters, what next, no filters at all? It's going to be sooooooo fun sifting through all the same posts and posts we've already replied to that other people keep replying to...