What I Wish I Would Have Known When I Started My Period

Anonymous

Ah periods. Menstrual cycles. Blood baths. Whatever you want to call them. I have devised a list of things to hopefully help out our flowering little sisters who are scared to death of how to deal with this, and to make light of common things most people try to hide.

I got my period at the age of 12, and I'm 18 now. That's about 6 years experience.

1. DON'T be ashamed or embarrassed about having a period.

It's taught in society that periods are gross and should be hidden. I bought into the lie and delt with my period alone for about a year. This was a huge mistake. Don't be scared to talk about it with your mom or sisters, they can help you and they won't judge you.

2. Giant bloody flesh chunks are NORMAL.

No, you're not bleeding to death. Just a build up of uterine lining that clotted. You're fine!

3. Dark brown and even black coloring is NORMAL!

It simply means the blood is old or air exposed causing it to be discolored. You're not dying!

4. Wrap your used pads like a burrito!

Take your used pad off, roll it up and use the plastic wrap from the new pad to wrap the used, rolled up pad. PERIOD BURRITO. And it's super discrete so no one has to look in the trash and see your pads.

5. ALWAYS HAVE EXTRA!!!

Always have extra pads in your backpack/purse even when you're not on your period! Periods can attack from nowhere when you're first starting so don't get caught unawares! Also, you'll be able to help a sister in need if she needs one.

6. Track your period!

You'll be able to predict your period as it becomes more steady, and you'll also have an answer at the doctors office when they ask "When was your last period?"

7. When starting out, missing a month is NORMAL!

If you haven't had sex, you're NOT pregnant just because you missed your period! As crazy as it sounds I think the majority of us that have been late without ever having sex are a little paranoid about this subject. I don't know why but it's scary to miss your period. Anyway, as your body is adjusting to puberty you won't have a constant predictable period. It took 3 years for mine to start coming every month.

8. Don't wear light colored pants.

If you do bleed through, it'll be as obvious as that giant volcano zit on your face (Don't worry those go away later)

9. You WILL bleed through sometimes. Don't fret!

It happens. Just make sure to be prepared next time. It's not the end of the world.

10. Periods stink!

Just shower every day and make sure to clean that area well. But just remember old blood doesn't smell too great. There's not something wrong with you.

11. DON'T USE SENTED PADS.

So periods stink, but the fragrances in certain pads can irritate your vagina making it more prone to infection!

12. Have access to pain meds!

Cramping can be extremely painful for some individuals. Make sure to have access to pain medication like Advil or Midol.

13. Hot baths are your new best friend.

Relieves cramps, makes you feel clean and at rest.

14
23

Most Helpful Girl

• lumos
    Oh my god the scented pads. I was once in a dire need for pads and the only store that was close by had like the smallest selection of period stuff ever. Had to buy a pack of scented ones. AND THE SMELL. Oh boy. Even though periods smell awful, imagine that mixed with some semi-floral grandma smell. It makes it 100x worse. Had to hold my breath when I was changing my pads. Luckily I only had to use a couple before I could buy some proper unscented ones. Ended up saving the scented ones "just in case" but who was I kidding, I was never going to use them even if someone had a gun to my head. Ended up tossing them after a couple of years.
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guy

• Advicer_01
    As a guy, I have been told to be strong! F no! I would not be able to tolerate that! I salute all the girls out there. No one can be strong as a girl!
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

2213
  • beebella
    Did nobody tell you any of these things beforehand? Luckily, I had two older sisters to learn these lessons from, aside from my mom talking to me about it a couple years before I got my first period.
    And of the 12 years that I've been getting my period, I still have yet to bleed through. 🙌
    • Anonymous

Yup I had no idea how any of it worked. Plus I kept it a secret for a whole year. (I stole pads from my sister when she was out). It was sad πŸ˜‚

• beebella

Omg πŸ˜‚ I used to be embarrassed about my period, too. Now I'll talk about it in front of anybody, I really don't care anymore. haha

• Anonymous

Same. Even in college now when I'm cramping bad I LOOK like I'm in pain and my guy friends will be like "are you ok?" And I'll respond "Yes it's just period cramps... I'll be ok" πŸ˜‚ They ask no more question πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• SirenDep
    Also change tampons every time you use the bathroom, like every 2 -3 hours. It says it can be worn for up to 8 hours, but you really shouldn't do that. Don't sleep with them. There's a condition called toxic shock that is caused by wearing them for a long time.

There exist also diva cups that are said to be cheaper on the long run, more convenient and eco-friendly.

Both options might tear your hymen though if you're a virgin
  • MsMusic
    My periods never regulated. It's been 8 years lol. I just went 3 months without one, before starting.

Tampons are something you missed but that's ok - I just wanna throw it out there that not everyone can wear tampons when they start their period. It was extremely uncomfortable and painful for me. And that's ok. I still prefer pads to tampons.

13. also a bit of an addon to 13, water can help slow or even stop your flow for a little while.
    • pooper89

The Diva cup was painful for me. Tampons have never been painful for me. I think people try to insert them the wrong way

• MsMusic

@pooper89 Never heard of the diva cup.

Tampons were painful until I was 16. My mom had showed me how to insert them, and explained it, watched me try to do it so she could tell me what I was doing wrong if I was doing anything wrong, but they were not comfortable for years.

• grimtigress
    lol blood baths that's brutal i like it, i bet you scared some away with the blood chunks and stink shit- honestly it's only ever smelled like, well iron, in my case i can see how it'd smell weird. but yeah, that whole sometimes missing a month aspect was scary as fuck for a while for sure
  • Shakazo
    Great post ! Did you publish it as "MyTake" or only as question? You shoud put it like Mytake, no? I am not really aware about Mytake but your topic is very helpful and general, it is not a request from you. You help others, so it deserves the "MyTake" type!
  • pleasestopthis
    Nice take.
    I remember I was so embarrased about having my period when I was 12... now I don't care if people knows I'm on those days.
    I used to take hot showers to relieve the pain, but now it just worsens it when I come out and get cold again, so I just use a hot water bottle and stay in bed (if I can).
  • Kai02
    I used to be so scared of letting anyone know that I was on my period that I'd wait to open my pads until everyone was out of the bathroom when in public restrooms. I wish they made periods seem more normal for little girls. There should be children pads and tampons like there are children diapers. With designs and flowers and whatever for the girls who start their periods younger.
  • MsLoli
    ... Baths? My god, no. Who the hell bathes during their period? You're sitting in a literal blood bath. If you can stomach that before showering off, okay, but... gross. Like sitting in your own piss. Better alternative: hot water bottles applied to your abdomen.
  • themetalhead
    awesome take, I wish this existed when I first started getting periods lol. I was 10 years old when I got mine, and was scared to death. didn't know how to tell mum right away. and of course it was Christmas eve too, the next day I was a crampy, crabby mess still trying to be nice to the 10 other people who showed up for Christmas lol
  • laurieluvsit
    What an outstanding post Ms A!
    So informative and helpful, really over-the-top GREAT!
    Thank you so much for taking all the time and effort it took to put that together for us, you are so sweet!
  • UnaKaizen
    no one shamed me about it. it was just embarrassing anyhow and gross. ad everything needed to deal with it was pretty obvious, but still gross. i still hate it lol
  • goaded
    12. Naproxen (if it's really painful); in the UK you have to say why you want to buy it, like a magic word)

13. Really? I think you may have left out a detail (with a blue string), no?

Good advice.
    • I’d only take naproxen if it was a miscarriage, it’s not to terrible to deal with

• goaded

@xButterflyKisses87x Clearly you disagree with my girls. :)

• I don't disagree but I don't agree Menstrual pain isn't too bad to deal with, there is OTC stuff that would work just as well and I know because I deal with my cramps!

• Compodulator
    Don't know how true it is, but there's a story on tumblr/reddit about this girl who had an appendix burst during an exam and eventually lost consciousness. Medics were called. When her teacher asked her what the fuck is so important about this exam that an appendix burst would have to wait for her to finish, she said she actually thought it's a period cramp. Dude gave her A+ on spot.

On a completely unrelated note, there's this joke that when a girl sneezes during her period, it comes out as a shotgun blast. Now, I'm reasonably certain that it doesn't work that way ENTIRELY, but every joke has a kernel of truth to it. That's what makes it funny. How close to looking like a shotgun blast is it? lol
  • CT_CD
    Thanks for making me aware on just how disgusting periods are.
    • Anonymous

So are dicks but women aren't complaining πŸ€”

• CT_CD

A dick doesn't do any of that stuff

• Anonymous

It's gross in its own way. If you feel this way about the lifestyle of a woman, good luck ever having a long term relationship. No one wants to be with a man who thinks the way she was born is gross.

• BambooforPanda
    You've inspired me to do a mytake on the subject this is such a perfect place to post stuff like this! Thanks for your insights.
  • SweetgirlNS
    And there is NOTHING wrong with sexual activities during a girls menstrual cycle.
  • Hurlyburly
    Awesome take! Yea, I wish someone had told me all this back then too.
  • CubsterShura
    I have a few more:
    1) Buy and use pads of different types depending on different days of the period when your flow is heavier/lighter. Don't use a big long thick pad when your flow is light because that is uncomfortable and traps excess moisture that can cause yeast infection. On the other hand, don't use thin small pads on heavy flow days cause it will only cause bloodstained pants later on. I personally keep three (or even four!) types of pads with me. Sounds extra but since I started it I barely suffer with discomfort or get any stain on clothes.

2) Wash a stain as quickly as possible, don't use hot water. I used hot water before and it only set the stain even worse.

3) Eat productive food, like nuts, bananas and dark chocolate. Walk around, be active. Being too sedentary can make you feel more sick than what you actually are. I prefer to take rest at home but I still walk around the house and play with my niece. It helps.
  • NineBreaker
    When I was a little kid, I asked my dad where babies come from. He was a gynecologist... aaaaand that was the first time I learn about menstruation (among other things). Of course, back then as enlightening and intriguing as all of that was, I was also supremely grossed out. Not at all anymore because 1) I'm a dental student (I see a lot of blood on a daily basis and a whole host of physical manifestations that would give some members of the general population some serious nightmares), and 2) I'm a (relatively) well-adjusted adult. I've learned enough human anatomy and physiology to understand the process relatively well.
  • jacquesvol
    No reason to feel shame about something 100% natural and not dangerous to anyone.
  • Safa_Malfoy
    guys are sooo lucky they dont have to deal with cramps
    i mean mine are the WORSTT
  • NaultD
    Does the bath look like a murder took place afterwards?
    • Anonymous

Nope! The flow stops for the most part when you're in water.

• SammyGurl
    Great take! I'm so glad my Mom talked frequently to me about what was happening to my body, inside and outside. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones, I've never bled through. At 15 I had to go on birth control to regulate my periods, took 3 or 4 months and right on time. I had to change to a different oral contraceptive because the first really messed with my hormone levels, I'd burst into tears and have no idea why! Never tried tampons until almost 16, thought they were a huge improvement to pads! Don't flush them, they're supposed to really clog the plumbing!! (My Dad told me that, he also said if I did, I'd be helping with unclogging. Totally enough for me to not flush one!!)
    We're trying to get pregnant, so I've been off of oral contraceptives for over a year I was really afraid my periods would go all wonky again. Thankfully they never did! Right now I'm actually welcoming missing a period for the first time in my life!!
  • pooper89
    I've gotten blood on the seat of a guy's car once. I've also gotten blood on a guy's sheets once. Not like we can help it. Blood happens.
  • ultimega
    i'm surprised no-one has mentioned the odd feeling when you sneeze yet
    • also if you're running because you're late for something... sometimes can have disastrous results if not careful

• MayBlythe
    Great list
  • cherryphi82
    So great! Thanks for posting :)
  • Hungry_Shark
    Intriguing
  • xZoeyx
    Awesome take! I agree
  • utkarshpriy20
    Respect
    _/\_
  • Halucinator
    Thanks for sharing
  • Fauzillic_Bolt
    I agree with 12 of your 13 points.
  • Anonymous
    im not a girl but i will agree with everything said here
  • Anonymous
    Thank you. do you know why the doctor asks when was your last period?
    • Hurlyburly

To know how far you are in your actual cycle. If you're ovulating for example. Hormonal levels caused by the stages of your cycle can affect a lot about your body like causing headaches or cramps.

• Anonymous

thanks.

• Anonymous
    I remember doing a great deal of research on this in the past. Just caught my interest out of nowhere. They do seem pretty awful. And then there are things like mood swings and headaches. From my experience, I never really noticed any signs or differences in girls who are on their period. In other words, if you asked me to keep an eye on a girl for a month, I would not be able to tell when she had her period. Girls do a good job at hiding the evidence and signs.
    Are period cramps similar to stomach pain? The feeling I mean.
    • Anonymous

Some girls don't really get mood swings too bad. And it effects everyone differently. For example, my sister will be so nasty and snapping on hers, while I have my mood swings right BEFORE it starts and I just get really sad about everything. It's usually pretty subtle though.

As for cramps, I can only describe the pain as a tight stabbing sensation. Almost like someone grabs your lower abdomen and squeezes as hard as possible. For me, my upper legs hurt really bad too, as well as breast sensitivity (making it hard to sleep comfortably). On the second day of my period is when my cramps are the worst. To the point of throwing up and passing out. I've learned to take lots of medication the night before to avoid the pain as much as possible.

• Poppykate

Possibly the closest thing... ever had cramps because of bad diarrhea? The cramps kinda feel the same.

• @Poppykate yes bad diharrea πŸ˜– Lol