Covid Finally Got Me

Anonymous
Covid Finally Got Me

It has been a long 2.5 years or however long it's been since the pandemic started that I personally have enjoyed a Covid free existence...until now. I randomly got a text from my parents whom I had just visited a couple weeks ago, letting me know that they had tested positive. That was it. I knew I was next. My entire family have all been fully vaxxed and boosted, but with the new strains, it seems like everyone around me has started to catch Covid---my best friends brother is round 2, my friends children just got it, my sister in law got it, and my parents got it and none of them live in the same states except for my parents.

After the text, I took my first covid test which turned out to be negative, but I wasn't reassured by that because I was starting to have some major nasal drip. My nose was running like a faucet. Day one of that, I ran through a half box of tissues. I also began to just not feel great and ended up taking some days off work because I was starting to feel really worn down combined with other health issues I was already experiencing with chronic illness. After those days off, things did not get better, so I took my second covid test, but it was absolutely negative again. By day 4, I developed a fever, and that's when I took another test and this time it was very clearly positive.

Covid Finally Got Me

Things sort of went from bad to worse from there. Next came intense non stop dry coughing and major congestion. The congestion was hell. My entire nose was so stuffed up that I couldn't breath and it was making me gag from coughing to clear my throat and not being able to clear my nose which made me throw up and kind of ruined my appetite for a while. I never had issues with from the lungs breathing or actual loss of taste and smell, but the congestion messed me up making it basically impossible for me to lay my head down and sleep for more than a few hours a night because it became of cycle of violent coughing fits, couldn't breathe from my nose, couldn't sleep, repeat.

I had taken some Tylenol for about 2 days, which made the fever go away, but all the other symptoms just hung in there. At this point, fed up with the lack of sleep and constant coughing and congestion, I took an OTC cough medicine. This had little effect other then briefly coating my throat with cough syrup which would help with the scratchiness and irritation to my throat, but then minutes later, the coughing would be back again.

Covid Finally Got Me

So now, some two weeks later, the congestion has gone down considerably to the occasional stuffy nose, but nothing like the intense blockages of the early stages of Covid. The coughing however, is persistent. It has woken me up in the middle of the night nearly every day since it started and there are the occasional fits of it during the day.

The last but not least symptom for me was the development of Laryngitis. This one I did not expect from everything I'd read, but my voice was just shot to the point of me having to text people sitting right next to me for them to be able to understand me. My doctor said this can happen if you've had severe coughing (check) and it is a reaction of the swelling of the vocal cords but it will eventually go away on it's own. I thought a few rounds of hot teas, some steaming, some throat lozenges, and complete vocal rest would have me better in a few days, but it has taken nearly a week in a half to get back up to just 85% recovery.

So there you have it. Covid. Definitely. Sucks.

Covid Finally Got Me
13
3
3Girl Opinion
13Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guys

• Anonymous

Our tests worked much same way. I was at home with 2 broken feet. So it goes without saying I wasn't going anywhere. The only place I went was to the doctor's office so there's little mystery as to where I got it. But I was slated to have surgery and the covid test was just one of the pre-op standards. It came back negative. But the surgery was delayed for a week when I came back they tested me again and I tested positive. They went ahead with my surgery anyways. Afterwards the moved me to the ICU for 48 hrs. I don't know if that was normal procedure or not. They did put me on oxygen for a few days. But I never was intubated like you see a lot of covid patients on the news. I never really felt "sick". But I did sleep for about a week. Whenever I wasn't rehabbing my surgery or being woken by nurses I was sleeping lol.

Is this still revelant?
    • Anonymous

Yeah, a lot of people were noting exhaustion as a main symptom. I couldn't tell about that one because I already deal with insomnia, so I didn't feel more tired than before. Hope you're feet are healing. I watched someone documenting their recovery from two broken ankles and it was months to get back on track. Not fun. Hope you're doing okay.

• Anonymous

Oh yeah that was over a year ago. I'm peachy now. Thanks
      I hope you don't suffer any lingering affects as well.

• MysteriousDarkness

I got it a couple of months ago and it sucked.
    1. My head felt like I was beaten with an aluminum baseball bat a few times. 2. I had a fever of 104°F.
    3. I was for the most part either cold or hot.
    4. I was coughing and sneezing a lot.
    5. My throat was very soar.
    6. Had a hard time breathing.
    7. Everything I ate tasted spoild/rotten.
    8. I smelled cigarette smoke and burnt dish soap a lot. No one has ever smoked in my house since we redid the inside of it the first time 19 years ago.
    9. I was tired a lot and sleeping at different times which caused me not to get any quality sleep.

Is this still revelant?
    • Anonymous

You had it rough! One of my fears was losing taste/smell because I love to cook, absolutely love it and the thought of potentially becoming a long termer with symptoms was a terrifying prospect, but I think I got the latter strain where this was not a common symptom. Sorry to hear you went through it. Did you fully recover?

Most Helpful Girls

• Amy10223

Ah…. it takes a very long time to get through this. I haven’t caught it… yet… but my daughter and friends have told me all they did was sleep and felt very fatigued. Loss of sense of smell was common too. My daughters boyfriend had no fever but felt as if he had a severe cold. All of this lasted for about 4 weeks for all of them. A family friend had it for about a month or more.
    I wish you luck getting back to health. Chicken soup will soothe your throat. A spoonful of honey works too but the chicken soup is warm and steamy for you. Rest the vocal chords and don’t even, it’ll make things worse. Feel better!!

Is this still revelant?
    • Anonymous

Thank you so much for the advice. My mom has been texting me everyday, are you steaming, are you eating some soup. I love her. Good luck with the not catching it. It's like "it" intends to get us all. For a long time it seemed like things were slowly calming down and then things just ramped up and every where you looked, a friend, or relative had it, so so far, everyone is surviving (okay, don't know that for sure, but not hearing so and so died of it), even the older people like my parents. Hope your family/friends recover well. I still have some minor symptoms going on week 3 or four, but nothing like when it all started.

• midnightmoon05

Symptoms seem diff. for diff. people. My hubby had it bad before vaccines came out.
    I got it 4 weeks ago right when I started my vacation! More like a very bad cold, bad headaches, some fever, lost some smell. Took a week. Then got better.

Is this still revelant?
    • I thought I will never get it since I was exposed daily at work and travelled and was all over the world during all those 2.5 years. like you. I didn’t care…
      Once I started vacation, I got it sigh…
      Feel better. It sucks to feel that way like you are going to die. But you will be okay soon.

• Anonymous

Yeah, it also depends on which strain you get. I was reading a bit on how loss of smell or taste as was noted with the first strains is far less likely with the popular strains now which seem to be extremely contagious. I'm nearly recovered now, just some random coughing here and there and my voice has still not returned to how it was before covid, and I'm still straining to talk. It really sucks that you got in on vacation. I am extremely hard core about staying healthy near my vacation times. Like even before Covid was a thing, I'd practically quarantine under the guise of, NO ONE will ruin my me time!!!!

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

111
  • Twalli

I don't mean to hijack your post, but I would like to point out that the only goal of the vaccine was to prevent death, not COVID-19. That's why it means you're only 800% less likely to get it. The success is that you're 2500% less likely to die if you were to get it.

HelpfulDisagree 2 People
    Reply
  • monkeynutts

I hardly know anyone who has not had it. I think it's going to be a seasonal flu, so people that don't look after themselves, like alcoholics, and smokers, it's going to kill. I think strains might get worse, so those that have not gotten it yet, when they do, it's going to put them hard on their arses. Personally I think the side effects from the jabs is worse. I'm glad humanity has started to get smart and get back to work now.

Reply
    • Anonymous

At this point I wish they'd stop talking about it like we can control it somehow. Shots, much like flu shots, may prevent more serious forms of the illness, but stop it they will not as flu shots have never stopped all people from getting the flu, but may prevent those at serious risk from dying from it. These things aren't static. They mutate, especially across an entire world's population now. Don't know what you do in an office situation these days now (I work from home) because it is highly contagious and I gather you don't want your whole work force out for at least a week per person.

• What they need to do is educate more about immune health, and diet.

• Personally, if you look at what's going on in China, I don't think you can control it.

• 888theGreat

I still have not gotten it. I have only had flu once in my life when I was a kid. Almost everyone but 2 others have gotten it. I haven't had a cold in 15 years or more. I am very clean person. Wash my hands all the time. Never touch bathroom handles.

Reply
    • Anonymous

So, if you get it, does that mean you are an unclean person? I washed my hands until I was blue in the face, but I caught it from my parents whom normal humans interact with by hugging and greeting and talking to face to face in close proximity, but they were asymptomatic at the time, so no way of knowing.

• exitseven

I have not had it yet. I thought I was coming down with it in the beginning but it must have been just a cold. This was before you could get the home tests so maybe I did get it.

Reply
    • exitseven

I really hope you feel better soon

• Anonymous

Thanks. My aunt was the same way. When we all finally knew this thing was called Covid in the beginning, she was sick for about 2 weeks, but with no testing and being in quarantine at the time without severe life threatening symptoms, she just rode it out, but we'll never know if she actually had it. I'm on the mend. thanks for the well wishes. Just sporadic coughing and some issues still with my voice not fully being recovered.

• Guy13

I am still shot and Covid free... I'm sure I'll catch that flu at some point.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • ElementoP

I wish Covid would get me so I can get some free time off work. I don't care if I get violently ill and end up in the hospital, it's worth it

Disagree 1 Person
    Reply
    • DCooper

I caught it a couple weeks ago. 2 days of managing a crazy high fever with tylenol, and a week of chillin watching anime and sleeping in :) Not a bad deal at all.

• ElementoP

Lucky bastard

• ElementoP

Well damn, now I really hope I get it. That sounds amazing

• AsaKyo

Yeah, welcome to the club
    My dad brought it in and got us all sick, so I was a sitting duck

Reply
    • Anonymous

I know its odd to say, but I'm just glad I know where I caught it from. I'd rather that then to like always think 'could I have prevented this.' Hopefully yours was not too bad.

• love_conquers_lust

I had it twice, even with a vaccine. Still alive. Have had colds worse than CoVid.

Reply
    • Anonymous

I used to work around tons of kids, so in terms of terrible sickness rankings, it has to go to 1. Pneumonia--this literally almost did kill me 2. Strep throat-the fever was so high, I was delirious and the pain in my throat was friggin' awful 3. The flu--everything about that was awful and 4. Covid.

• Friendlybro79

Glad you're getting better.

Reply
    • Anonymous

Thank you. Glad to start feeling better.

• Shamalien

Sounds like vaids

Reply
  • Jouth

don't die please

Reply
  • Anonymous

Covid definitely sucks. I didn't really mind it all that much though because it very closely resembled a chest cold I used to get in middle school. Fevers and sapped of energy to start, dry coughing and wheezing for months afterwards.

Reply
    • Anonymous

For me it's literally been 3 years since the last time I was sick with anything, so I think my body was like woaaaaaahhhhh! My parents actually both had a very mild case, but I got the crap end of the stick. I just got my voice back after 2 weeks, and I'm still coughing, but everything else is back to normal.

• Anonymous

I'd get like a cold every year but they go away in like a week. Haven't had anything that serious since 2016. My parents had it too but I think they both got hit harder than I did.