The Real Origin of Christmas

Zendrya

So it's Christmas..... but you know what it isn't? Jesus' birthday. Let's talk about why.

Firstly we can see that Jesus wasn't likely to be born in the winter because the Shepherds were watching over their flock of sheep. It is likely Shepherds would have had a shelter for the sheep if it was in December. Also Mary and Joseph went to Bethlehem to register in the Roman Census which didn't take place in the winter. You can check out this link to read more about it in detail.

Now why is Christmas really on the 25th? Well it all starts with the Pagans celebrating Yule/Saturnalia/Winter Solstice. These days range from like the 20th-25th. The Christians wanted to convert the Pagans to Christianity so they made Christmas a day close to or on the Pagan winter holidays and kept a lot of the traditions. After threatening any heretics' (anybody who didn't believe in Christ) life a lot of the Pagans agreed to convert.

So what traditions did the early Christians take from the Pagans you may be asking. Well let me tell you. There are your yuletide carols, the yule log that you burn, yuletide greetings, wreaths, decking the halls with boughs of holly, the yule tree, St. Nicholas, Odin's 8 legged flying horse (your 8 reindeer), the sun god mithra born of a virgin and had 12 disciples, feasts, and so much more.

I hope you guy learned some stuff about what this time of year is really about. Happy holidays.

The Real Origin of Christmas

(Odin/Santa flying on Sleipnir/8 reindeer)

The Real Origin of Christmas
9
2
2Girl Opinion
9Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guy

• Anonymous
    Exactly, Christians stole some of the Pagan traditions for Christmas, including the date of the celebration.
    If Jesus really existed, he was most likely born in the late February, or early March. Why? Besides the reasons you said, I would also add this - early Christians used Fish pendants as their symbol, long before the Cross/Crucifix/Rosary... perhaps because Jesus was Pisces in horoscope.
    I guess that Jesus as the person described in the Bible, had more Pisces traits, rather than Capricorn.
    Jesus was compassionate, understanding; intuitive, artistic, and sacrificing... that does sound more like a Pisces.
    Capricorns are mostly hard-working and ambitious pessimists, they tend to be rigid in their ideas, and they often lack compassion.
    So, why did old Christians "stole" the Winter Solstice date as Jesus' Birthday? Because it was a very popular Pagan holiday, and they couldn't get rid of it any other way, so they decided to transform it into a Christian holiday.
    They also appropriated Pagan tradition of decorating trees, as well as gift-giving and partying. Easter is also known for adopting some Pagan customs, like decorating Eggs and using Bunny/Hare figurines (both are symbols of fertility, related to Pagan Spring Equinox - Wiccan Ostara or ancient Germanic Ä’ostre holiday).
    Fantastic Take, happy Yule :)
    Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?
    • Zendrya

Thanks, you too

• Anonymous

Thank you :)

• Anonymous

And thanks for the MHO ;)

Most Helpful Girl

• coralee
    As someone with a passion for history. I'm sick to death of hearing this story. Every year I see it plastered all over the internet as a new generation of athiests and agnostics discover this "secret" that was never a secret to begin with! Unless you grew up in isolation, this isn't news to most people. The Romans performed the Census in the spring. So even if you believe in the bible, Christ was not born on December 25th it is just the date that the Roman Empire chose to celebrate it to make it easier for their subjects to convert. The subjects then started bringing their own traditions into the holiday to make it their own. It isn't a conspiracy, it's how the Roman Empire operated it's entire existence. They were a military based society that didn't have a culture of their own, so they jacked the traditions of the people they conquered and made it their own. They did it with the Greek Religion too. Which is why the Ancient Greek and Ancient Roman religions are virtually identical.
    Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?
    • Zendrya

I'm Wiccan which is Pagan. I was writing about what they stole from my religion. Also if you don't like this story, guess what, you don't have to read it. Crazy huh? Also no it isn't common knowledge believe it or not. A lot of Christians have no idea. My boyfriend who is agnostic had no idea until I told him to year.

• Bat-Perv

Wincan is a made up religion from the 30s that appropriates celtic pagan culture.

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

18
  • curiousnorway
    Interesting MyTake! : )
    Like 1 Person
  • Bat-Perv
    1. Jesus was born in Jerusalem. It is currently 14°C and the lowest temperature will be 4°C tonight. Sheep don't need shelter and no Shepherds would abandon their sheep no matter how cold it was.
    2. In the old Julian calendar the 25th of December falls on the winter solstice. When the new Georgian calender was introduced to correct for solar drift the winter solstice changed from the 25th of December to the 21st but Christmas stayed on the 25th.
    3. Christmas was first celebrated in Rome 336 Ad. There was no Christianity in Germany nor real Roman presence so they didn't steal anything from german pagans.
    4. The roman empire was a multi-ethnic multi-religious empire most of whom had religious festivals on the winter solstice (December 25th Julian calendar) as did most peoples globally so Christmas was made to fit into this as the entire globe had stopped working and trading, Christmas actually had a feast day celebrating a Saint before Christmas was first celebrated. Many religions in modern times in the US do this too.
    5. Those traditions you speak of have as much to do with ethnicity and and nationality as they do religion.
    6. "So what traditions did the early Christians take from the Pagans you may be asking. Well let me tell you. There are your yuletide carols, the yule log that you burn, yuletide greetings, wreaths, decking the halls with boughs of holly, the yule tree, St. Nicholas, Odin's 8 legged flying horse (your 8 reindeer), the sun god mithra born of a virgin and had 12 disciples, feasts, and so much more."
    Early Christians did none of these things, a lot of early Christian traditions are actually forgotten. A lot of what you are talking about is what holiday traditions did Germany export globally in the 19th century. Legends about virgin births, flying horses and 12 disciplines appears in many religions. I wonder did the German pagans steal these?

I hope you guy learned some stuff about what this time of year is really about. Merry Christmas 🎄
  • Trumpster666
    Seems reasonable that during the early days of the Christian church when Christians were a minority that they celebrated christ's birth around the same time as other Roman religious festivals so it would have been traditional by the time the gospel spread North into celtic/germanic/Nordic regions. Everywhere in Europe, North Africa and the middle East celebrated a religious festival in late December so it's more of a cultural thing.
    Like 1 Person
  • admles
    Very, very interesting.

The link was fascinating too!

I always learn something from your MyTakes ^_^
    Like 1 Person
  • Thanks for sharing your Take.

Merry Christmas.The Real Origin of ChristmasThe Real Origin of Christmas
  • Nice222
    Thanks for the knowledge I New some of these but not all of them Mithra is new to me.
    Like 1 Person
    • Zendrya

Me too actually. I know also in Wicca on Yule it is believed the Goddess gives birth to the God who is considered to be the Sun (as she is the moon). So lots of similarities.

• Nice222

Yeah it is interesting.

• themetalhead
    Great myTake : )
    Like 1 Person
  • LegateLanius
    Awesome
    Like 1 Person
  • Anonymous
    "I hope you guy learned some stuff about what this time of year is really about."
    pics.me.me/...-really-miss-doctor-who-26275004.png