The Physically Strong Female: Gross or Goddess?

Most people have a pretty clear idea of what they think of a woman with muscles. "Eeewwww, gross" is a common phrase uttered upon seeing a picture like the one here:The physically strong female: gross? Or goddess?

I completely understand...

However, I think we dismiss strong women too quickly. I think that a woman with muscle should be applauded and appreciated. Not only is she being forced to buck the weight of society's stereotypes off her broad shoulders, but she is striving to achieve something special, something rare: combining beauty and strength.

Traditionally, a man is strong and a woman is beautiful. They are the defining physical traits of both sexes and rarely ever do those traits get mixed up. Yet our hypothetical heavy lifting female friend is trying to do both, on the path to becoming both strong and beautiful. The best of both sexes in one package - the ultimate creation!

I can already hear you muttering...steroids...and yes it's true that many of the over-committed bodybuilding women come unstuck here. They spend too long on the juice, so hellbent on more muscle that they surrender their beauty, as they lose hair, grow deep voices etc. I don't think those women are goddesses - they have wasted their beauty. I still maintain however, that those women who maximise their strength while retaining their beauty are the ideal human beings, as they combine the best physical traits of both genders, see the lovely Anne-Marie Lasserre below:

Trouble is...not many people seem to agree. Women are discouraged from following the path of the goddess because they are worried about the negative reactions they will get from their family and their peers and from men. The traditional perception is that men in particular find women with muscles repulsive. It holds true sometimes, sure, but I believe that quite often that perception is merely the few loud men claiming to be the voice of the many. There are many reasons a man might refuse to admit that he likes strong women (perhaps another mytake in the works...), but let's just say that there are a lot more admirers of strong women out there than you think.

Thankfully the wheel is slowly turning. Instagram is full of gym selfies of women proud of their fit bodies. It's also full of supportive comments of those selfies - from both sexes. We are slowly becoming more accepting.

So I'm asking you today to consider rethinking your view of physically strong women. Give them a chance. If you know one, support their journey. If you are one or want to become one, I fully endorse your choice and I hope everyone in your life does to. Don't be afraid to tell your friends that you find them attractive. You don't have to hide anymore. Let's all appreciate the goddess.

3361

Most Helpful Girl

• I lift, have been for a long time. Im not extremely bulky as I dont take any steriods but I am toned and quite strong for my height and weight, and look that way. I look quite a bit like the last picture just a tad smaller. I've had abs since high school and I distinctly remember once in PE a girl friend of mine hugged me and was like, "holy shit, I can feel your abs through your shirt!" And a bunch of guys came up and asked to see. I lifted up my shirt a little and immediately got comments that I'm too masculine and to get back into the kitchen (to which I replied, "well where do you think I've made these abs" lol). I played it off as okay in the situation but.. Still, it hurt. :( a lot.
    I started lifting because I was severely depressed and had binge eating disorder. I had been abused most of my childhood and lifting was one of few things that took it away and helped me finally see in color... And his response was that I should just get back in the kitchen... Still hurts to this day that people dare say to me that I can't be strong or happy because of gender.
    I really appreciate this post. Lifting is what makes me happy.. And I'm not ever going to stop. 💪

• Great comment! Nah, definitely don't ever stop :) Not because of something stupid a bunch of guys said anyway..

• Don't every stop, my hubby got me started I caught the bug, like you I don't consider myself overly bulky i'm big because that's the way I am naturally, I'm sorta like a fireplug of sorts. Building your body builds not only your muscles but your brain, your emotions and especially your confidence, I look at a barbell and I grow. LOL I love it. I get stares but young guys should take notice, especially you high schoolers, the girls are coming into the gym and they ain't taken no prisoners, we have HS girls come in want to get strong and as the ole saying goes form follows function and believe you me some of these high schoolers are not wasting time.

• @Battooot great comment dude. I think you're onto it. Women who already are fit or lift weights aren't too worried - they know the truth, but convincing a non-lifting, unfit female to lift in the first place is often difficult because they are scared of what will happen and that they'll turn into a she-male. That's sad.
      Glad you like the pics - seems you have good taste :)

Most Helpful Guy

• I like a strong, athletic woman, but when they start getting to the bigger, pro-level bodybuilder state, when they've been abusing steroids (and yes, every pro athlete is using in every sport), and they get too masculine in the facial features, that I don't like.

However, I do respect the hard work and dedication it takes to get there - no matter what drugs you use, you won't get anywhere without hard work and strict dieting.

The first picture you posted isn't attractive to me, the second and third ones are, however.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 32

• "So I'm asking you today to consider rethinking your view of physically strong women."

LOLwut?

I'm a fitness competitor. I know hundreds and hundreds of these women. EVERY SINGLE ONE of them has a line of potential suitors all the way out the door, around the block, round the corner, down the street, round the next block.

Every single one.

I mean, OK, you are right that there is some residual hate, and misinformation, mostly spread by the Barbie contingent. That? Sure. Every week I meet at least someone who still thinks that girls will look like pic #1 if they try to pick up a dumbbell that's not 2lbs of pink silicone. (As if.)

But...

BUT...

You seem to be thinking, WITH A STRAIGHT FACE, that there are actually women who look like pics #2 and #3 who actually want for male companionship.

!!!

Dude!

The fuck planet you LIVE on, homeslice? Like, srsly? LOL

• Thanks for your overly argumentative comment, but I think we are not far apart. Here's the thing - you know the secret! You can speak from a position of knowledge because you're in the industry, and you know that lots of guys go crazy over fit, strong women. As you say, there are multiple willing guys for any girl who is looking. As it should be! So I'm writing as much to the girls as the guys - more in fact. Girls need to know that if they build some muscle, guys will swarm to them and think they are incredible. And that's not weird, or fetish material. It's just appreciating amazing women.

• YES, you need to talk with hubby, get it through his thick head he doesn't need to be anxious. I'm gentle, I wouldn't harm a fly, just don't give me reason too. hehe what a great day. thanks guy you seem to get it.

• What are you asking guys to wake up to again? The fact that muscle girls exist?

95% of women are still much weaker than men in general you know... so unless the number grows, I don't see anybody taking female muscle as normal

• I am a happily married woman who is vastly more muscular and stronger than my hubby. I'm not going to say he's 100% on board with the results but it was his idea to begin with, I just ran with it. I guess you could say I caught the bug. Now as far as a goddess is concerned, in his mind I fit that description in public NO WAY, I would never dress to make myself obvious but to the trained eye or those in the game, they can spot a female who wears muscles regardless of what we wear. I think the goddess mentality way of thinking screws it up negatively. Most people that I run into, not literally, who have an eye, never speak negatively and I make sure my hubby doesn't hear anything that could be read wrong. There is a contingent of followers who consider a muscular strong woman an alpha woman, I'm not sure I agree with that. My man struggles with his image. I do not flaunt it accept for him only. He's never complained, which is how it should be. He is intimidated but not because I intimidate him. Just my take, I'd like to hear from other women and not so much from the men on this issue?

• Thanks for sharing. I suppose it would make for very interesting relationships and gender roles if you pair a stronger woman with a weaker guy. I hope your husband doesn't struggle too badly with it - that would be a real negative. But I'm glad he got you into the weights, and you love it. Spread the word :)

• @cruelcold Oh you know he blushes in private, I'm cool with him in public or in front of the kids. But in private HE BLUSHES, I can't say, I don't appreciate that blush but as it goes, a blush is a rush. I just have fun with it. Besides this is what he wished for, not sure he really wanted what he got, but the blush says it all. Thanks for replying.

• He's so happy and embarrassed at the same time! xD

Do you mind being dominant over him in the slightest or?

• Look I've spent my youth training, I was fit, but never bulky. And I competed on a national level in MA. I just didn't have the physical structure and the hormones to cause such muscle growth. My body shaped up, but never bulked up.
    I quit and my body quickly went down to simple lean.

Women you post are either on steroids, or have lots of male hormones. Without those things, you can't possibly grow this big. Either way, they don't reflect what a feminine average is and it's what turns off men. It's just biological wiring. This body is the equivalent of "man face".

Same way women see very short, scrawny, feminine looking and acting guys and find them unattractive.

• lilac_flowers, finally a sane reply and so young. You've been there you've seen it, I know it's impossible for a woman to build the mass a man builds, simply because of testosterone in the system naturally. I personally have to be very careful what I take in supplements, there are so many SSRI substitutes that block estrogen, a female hormone necessary to maintain what we classify as feminine, although that doesn't define feminine, the levels of test and estro are different in everybody. I for example have low estrogen levels naturally so for me exercise releases what some would consider a than less feminine look. So all of us need to find a level that works but if we continue down this drug path of blocking certain natural hormones we may see a 250 lb. woman call out her competition across gender lines and bury him on a stage. There are women who've been in this game for decades over 50 years of age barely 5' tall with 19' biceps, how many men that size with arms that big? Maybe 2-5?

• Strong women are amazing! I've been lifting weights consistently since I started HS cheer at age 15. We had to lift to get stronger and avoid injury. Plus, it helps to look good in your uniform. As my coach said, all girls need to lift weights because we're naturally weaker than boys to begin with.

• Naturally weaker doesn't mean always weaker. I've seen some pretty wimpy boys trying to be men when they are just wimpy little boys in a big man body. You are on the right track. Don't let muscles scare you off.

• @cindibb I know, I'm trying to improve to the point that I'm strong. I'm naturally thin and have always envied women with curves.

• What ever you want to make it depends on YOU. You can take it as far as your body can handle it. It's not about to much or not enough. Being who makes you comfortable is what makes you happy, if others don't like it will there isn't much you can do about it. But you can do something about what makes you feel good. I love being muscular and strong. When I began I didn't plan on being muscular but now that I am I love it.

• I think one of the best ways to set up a lot of 'backlash' on a MyTake is to not begin with defining your terminology. Ex) strong and goddess.
    These women don't look like goddesses to me. They look unnatural.
    They don't look strong, they look unnatural. A woman can be strong and not have huge bulging muscles.
    If you like women with "broad shoulders" then good for you, I'm giving you no flack at all. And I think it's nice you're trying to give some love to the muscular women out there.

• Well I'm trying to fly the flag a little, yep. I agree with you, goddess is a strong word and I guess I was just trying for impact. I could have posted pics of women with smaller muscles too. It's just to make people think, and I'm glad it has.

• It's your MyTake, and in the end you did make people think. I think it's kinda disrespectful people say these women looks gross. That's a strong word too. :/

• I agree with you sorta vishna, I think MyTake begins with the premise Strong & Goddess and that is NOT what it's all about, it's not even about acceptance. As for natural and unnatural are concerned, I have gym rat friends who pass me up when it comes to muscularity and size, I can pretty much hold my own in the strength department, after saying that, muscular women or for that matter muscular men don't happen generally by nature. I was what you would call "big boned" shy, I feared being to much anything. But rest assured for a woman to enter the arena and compete against a man it can't happen naturally but it can happen. If I got on the blockers and boutique GH formula I could stand with the guys on stage. I can hear the nay-sayers and dreamers PROVE IT? Why? All of bodybuilding is a racket for both men and women. Men have been at it longer, but make no mistake, women can't get in that condition without pushing heavy iron and taking secret formulas and not pay a price.

• I feel similar. If a woman is using steroids to build that muscle, then she really doesn't look good. But ones who work for it, awesome. They are beautiful, and they are strong.

• Thanks for commenting. Hypothetically speaking, do you think it would be a look you would want personally? Or just one you admire for others? I only ask cause it seems like those who admire it often don't actually want to look that way,

• I am not into overly muscular men and I am not into overly muscular women. It is not that I don't think women should be strong, but I personally do not see the beauty in the being bulging arms of a woman OR a man.

• define OVERLY? I'm not sure what you mean. Should there be an Anti-Overly Police, we seem to think we can police everything around the world, why not extremeism? I believe in limits, what is Overly in everybodies mind? I know teen girls with 14" biceps and they would scare you to death if they flexed, they don't they have nothing to prove so why tempt them? My biceps are much bigger than 14" last time my hubby checked. hehe... but he loves to feel them it's part of the foreplay. LOL

• @Opinion Owner Age 18, why does your generation always believe if it doesn't hurt or harm someone it's OKAY. Wow! Does not hurting someone's feeling fall in that catagory. I find it odd that people think anything that doesn't harm people should be classified as OKAY. Is it okay to have sex with your children or with the domesticated animals in the privacy of your own rental or mortgaged property, not if anybody isn't being hurt, I mean it's only sex right? I can't believe how dull this current generation under the age of 18 is and to think they are about to vote, just don't harm anyone right? As long as nobody suffers it's A- OK. I'm getting off point, I am very muscular very strong FOR MY SIZE anybody have a problem I'm not hurting anybody's feelings right? Get over it youngsters.

• Um I am pretty sure having sex with your children or animals harms them mentally and physically. This is not a "generation" thing. This is a personal thing. Not sure how me saying I am not a huge fan of big muscles is offending you. Did I say I don't like you? Did I say you don't deserve respect? Did I insult you? I am only answering the question. My answer is neither gross not goddess. I just don't enjoy it.

• I think they look hot but that may just be me

• Nope, not just you! There's a growing club, even in this comment section haha If you woke up one morning and looked like that, would you love it? Or you just think it looks hot and not for you?

• Cool! Well time to start rubbing that bottle and hoping a genie pops out haha, or hope you have great genes and can build muscle relatively quickly. And then your boyfriend would be completely and totally smitten :)

• Haha, hoping for a genie

• Its not just woman, that amount of muscle is gross on guys too.
    in addition to what everyone is saying about the tans lol

i appreciate you wanna be fit but i prefer the subtle fit over the bodybuilder fit, man or woman.

• Strength building & body-building are 2 different things, & one does not necessarily entail the other.

I work out regularly & I'm pretty strong, but I'm not bulky-muscled.

• Yeah they are definitely distinct, and also viewed differently. eg. I think men are more likely to be proud of a strong partner rather than a muscular one. Interesting when they are kinda both the same thing.

• A lot of books on the subject too. Search-engine couples yoga, you'll find plenty.

• haha thanks. Didn't have the karma sutra in mind... not yet anyway! I'll do some digging.

• her boobs are so muscular!

• @EllieChan, actually the first thing a hard gainer sacrifices is the fatty boobs, if you are serious and keep at it, you can use those boobs for food and build a granite hard muscular chest, trust me guys will line up just to see them swell. You can't control fat, but you can control muscle.

• Back in the day, both men and women likely had firm, muscular bodies as both did hard work day in and day out...

• @ConsultantIsBack has finally taken his true female form!

• I think they look amazing. I'm not just a fan of the other tanning.

• Amazing like... if you woke up tomorrow and you looked like girls 2 and 3 how would you react? Would you be excited? Or devastated? Or just curious to know what it would be like?

• @cindibb some women seem to have the gift of adding muscle easily, even without GH. And if true, it's pretty funny that even the biggest dudes are taking GH to stay ahead of the girls..
      OK so your hubby takes GH? but can't match you? He likes your muscularity and strength in private, but not in public? What was his vision when he initially asked you to lift and got you into it? Was he only thinking of the bedroom, and not how life would be out in the 'real world'?

• My take Owner, to answer your question about what my hubby expected. I think he always thought I had potential, he got a trainer to work with me. I think my pride took over after I discovered how naturally strong I was but never knew it until I had a trainer who was amazed. I think it took time and curiousity before my hubby came around. He's been in it secretly for longer than I ever knew. It's complicated when a fantasy becomes a reality.

• sorry but i think muscles look totally gross and manly on women, I'm naturally really thin so people assume i work out or something despite not having obvious muscles but in reality, I'm scared of working out to the point where i actually start having muscles ewww, i never want them, regardless of what others say. In fact, most people I have known ENCOURAGE me to have muscles but i just dont care, i think they are manly and totally not feminine...

and tbh even MEN with those muscles look totally gross to me!!! dont get me wrong, i LOVE strong guys, but tbh those body builder body types are disgusting for me to look at, but even more when its a woman, it makes them look like men!

with that being said, its just what I personally think, people should do whatever they want haha

• Well you're open minded at least :) And you don't dig muscles on either sex, that's cool too. Everyone has their opinions and tastes. Most people encourage you do grow some muscle? That's interesting. Are they guys or girls encouraging you?

• I sent you an email. did you get it?

• I'm not picking on you, I think you are comfortable in your skin, I'm not suggesting you workout or if you don't work out for what ever reasons. If you do workout you have to do it because YOU want to, NOT because you do it for someone else. If you are happy, fine, only you know if you are or NOT. Nobody can take that form you. If you have no desire to build your body any different then DON'T. I'm not a bully, But don't back me up and think I'll just back down and I'm not strong so I can't back down. Actually I"m strong so I can back down. It's much easier to turn your cheek if you the other person knows you don't have too.

• I think it looks unfeminine, I don't like it. To be fair i dont like guy body builders either

• I just think anyone with lots of muscles looks horrible. But women more so than men.

• I would NOT want to look like any of those girls. They look gross and masculine.

• No really a fan... But some girls look good though.

• The orange tan is the only disgusting part lol

• More from Girls
    12

What Guys Said 60

• I don't want a woman who looks like a man. End of discussion.

• What if she's beautiful too - does she still look like a man? I don't like women who sacrifice their beauty for muscle ie. steroids. but if you are strong without going that far, you can still be beautiful and feminine in my opinion. Just strong as well.

• define masculine now define femininity. what are they can they find definition? it's like porn, you know it when you see it it's ugly to some and revolting to others then there's the 3% crowd that just got ta have it. So is the muscles that determine the gender.
      boys cross dress and say they are normal girls wear muscles that are real not just put on like a garment and they are masculine, unfeminine but can you find the courage and tell them to there face. Hell no, you crazy she may kick your arse for rudeness. Don't accept me for what ever reason but don't dare classify me I will kick your ASS.

• @cindibb The person who posted this question requested opinions and I gave him my opinion. I did not request your opinion and your hostile rant does nothing to persuade me to change my opinion. The fact that you can think of something to say doesn't mean you should say it. Perhaps you should reduce your daily dose of steroids.

• The first one looks like a cross between Freak Show from Harold and Kumar go to white castle and the red demon from Insidious.

It all depends on how the chick looks, like if she looks like picture 3 and fuck yea I'd hump her lights out. Regardless, muscular chicks have nice tight pussies that grip dick nicely during sex, so that's always a plus

• Every woman you posted is on steroids. When you mention a fit bird, this is what most people think:

allstarhealthfitness.com/.../...odels-female-2.jpg

Not:
    cf.girlsaskguys.com/.../...7-812c-947de4bc02d0.jpg

You'd be hard pressed to find men who find the women you've posted to be attractive, in fact, I'd wager the only type of guys that like women like you've posted are those extremely submissive, insecure men who get off on being dominated like a little bitch.

• Yep, Danielle Gardner is probably on steroids. That's a difficult argument, where I personally think a woman can boost her muscle building with steroids, but if she is a mid-long term user... no - she'll screw herself up, lose her beauty and that's a waste. And yes, these women are not what most people think of when fit comes to mind. I think society is happily accepting that fit = sexy. But muscular = sexy? Not so much... I'm saying that's a shame.
      But I have to disagree for the last part: we've already found some guys who like the women I've posted. There are some who've commented below you. @redeyemindtricks has already posted "EVERY SINGLE ONE of them has a line of potential suitors all the way out the door" I believe that more men like these girls than you think, and that even more would if there wasn't such a stigma about it.

• https://i.imgur.com/jV89jBd.png

I think it's trying to communicate with me.. does anyone have a translator?

• Absolutely we can

• Not a chance. It is so gross and disgusting to even look at those women.
    If I wanted to be with a guy, I would be gay
    one of the best things about a woman is how soft they are. They are the "weaker" sex. That doesn't mean they are weak, just usually weaker then the guy (not always).
    why women want to build muscles like this I do not understand. They basically limit themselves to dating muscle bound idiots or other women bodybuilders.

• The images you show are grotesque distortions of a woman's body. No natural woman would want to have the body of a man (unless these are really men in drag).

They can bulk up all they want with hormones to look anything like a woman, but these hybrids are invisible to my radar.

• most non-fat dudes want nice fit, toned women. but not huge masculine like that! lol

• you have a profile picture of cyril figgis. your opinion means nothing!!! jk. i didn't read, but wanted to give you the archer shoutout :D

• I despise you for writing this simply because I have to keep seeing that first picture every time I log on to GAG or check the live feed.

• haha, yeah... sorry bro :) I shoulda gone with the other girls first...

• Like any other body type of woman, it depends on the woman and how much steroids she be taking. The first one reminds me of a axe throwing troll from the first world craft.

• First warcraft - nice retro gaming reference dude haha I agree though!

• The first has taken way to much testosterone and looks like a guy. I like muscle though, the second and third are hot

• I dig women with muscle. I think body-builders of either sex are gross looking, but it takes a LOT of muscle to get to that point.

The picture on top is kind-of gross, but the bottom two are smokin' hot to me. So is Serena Williams.

• Preach it brother. I too have a lot more tolerance for muscle than most it seems, not to steroid abusing lengths like you say... but I hear ya!

• To each their own, but to me. I don't like muscles on a girl. Of course; I prefer a girl to have a tone body, but when her biceps become big, defined, and her abs start showing. It becomes a huge turn off.

• It's hard to explain that line in the sand though isn't it? Why is it there? And how do women deal with it? eg. darling you i want you to be fit, but don't get too strong or grow any muscles ok? I can see how women might get confused. But at the same time, I hear you. You just know by looking - yep, nope, definitely not etc. It's instinct, and often very hard to explain.

• It is, and I agree that it can be difficult, but the main idea for a females workout that I prefer. Is mainly based around cardio, and then to get that slim look. Spend a little time swimming. The lifting part for most females can be skipped, and doing crunches to a point can help females flatten their stomach without getting abs. Since females have an extra layer of skin over their stomach. It's easier to hide any definition.

• I am sorry, but they just don't look attractive to me. I don't mind though. I am sure there are other men like you to love them. Nature is great that way.

• It is goddess when it is natural, it is gross when it is unnatural.

• I love muscular women, I don't think they are gross, I think they are even sexier.
    I'd say Goddess.

• Shape is gross, not the idea of a woman being strong. A woman can be hot and strong enough to kick a guys ass. Example: Gina Carano.
    ilarge.lisimg.com/.../864full-gina-carano.jpg

• Thanks for commenting. I think it's hard for some women to be strong without naturally growing muscles though. eg. if you look at a 'sport' like crossfit, most of the best women have fairly significant muscles. only a few are sleeker and leaner.

• Actually it's pretty easy to get strong without building muscle by using calisthenics. It's what pole dancers do so they can hang from a pole while having a sexy lean body. And also ballerinas, those ballet women are strong and could probably whoop both our asses. I only put strippers first because they're strippers.

• I like your priorities haha But yes, strength doesn't have to mean lifting weights. eg. Some of those yoga chicks can hold positions for ages, positions that I can't imagine holding for more than 10 seconds.

• 1st image eww, 2nd Like 3rd Really like, I really love legs on a girl.

• There are two reasons i dont go for women like these. First, Women that do this end up not being able to have children. Not all of them, but ones like the one in the first image, are the majority that this happens to, They look like female roid heads. Second I love a fit girl, i love a curvy girl, I love a chubby girl, I dislike body builder girls, To me its gross, but again this leads back to Personal Preference.

• Women with muscles can be beautiful. Who says they can't be strong and feminine.

• First one is terrible 0/10 last one is 3/10 and the middle is 6/10. You think the blonde is a goddess but she is too bulky for my taste and she has fake boobs, her face and ass and hair make her a 6

• More from Guys
    40