1 mo

A little personal take, about my dog. Because I need to vent.

This is Fox. Fox is crossbreed Labrador. Fox isn't a smart dog. You could say he's kinda on the wrong side of the intellectual spectrum.

Fox is big, and people don't feel very safe near him. However, he's a very nice dog, he just looks scary because he's barking stronger than those pocket rats grandmas have, but he'd never bite you. He's not very playful, he's kinda the big clumsy does always in the way.

Fox isn't lucky. Of all his family, only one person really take care of him, and care about him. But it's fine, he doesn't need much, a little food here and there, a walk in nature, and that's it.

Fox is sick. He suffers from frequent epileptic seizures, that almost killed him several time. Yet, he survived, enough for the seizures to stop completely.

But Fox is old. And with age come many issues. Arthrosis gives him pain in his rear legs, and nerve degeneration destroyed any reflex he has there too. One of his eyes is dying, his heart is failing, his breath is short.

Today, Fox goes to the vet. It's a very long and tiring walk. It's not a long distance, but it's hard to keep up. Today, the vet is examining Fox. His master is near, and he has hope the vet will allay his fear. But the vet look confirm what he fears. Fox is in a bad state. There is no coming back home. His master's heart breaks. The vet, who was following Fox since he was a pup, tries to hide her tears too, but she can't.

Today, Fox went to sleep calmly. The pain fades away, he doesn't feel anything, not even the needle, or the anesthetic. He lies down. The vet gives him the last shot. His heart slowly stops beating. For his master, what was a distant fear less than a week ago is now too real. Way too real.

Today, I lost my friend. And I still can't believe it. He was there, a few hours ago. I didn't feel that sad, empty and guilty for a long time.

Goodbye, my friend. It has been a long and bumpy ride, but you were the best. If there is a dog heaven, you definitely earned your place there. I'm going to miss you terribly.

8
9

Join the discussion

Most Helpful Guy

• Anonymous

Thanks for this nice take. It literally brought tears to my eyes as it brought back memories of when I went through the very same thing about 3 years ago with my dog. He was my best friend for years as I was growing up. He was always there and always happy to see me no matter what. Unconditional love in the purest sense.

He had kidney failure and was suffering and I had to have him put down. I was there petting him and talking to him as he slipped away and it broke my heart because, despite the fact that it was the right thing to do due to his health, I was acutely aware that I was the one who made the choice to have him put down. I could not escape that thought for quite a while.

I'm over it now, mostly. Having a new dog helps.

Good luck to you.

• Guanfei

Exactly how it goes for me. I'm not ready for a new dog yet I think. I'd immediately think about the moment I'll lose him.

• Anonymous

Yeah I was the same way. It took a while before I was able to even consider getting another dog. But I'm glad I did.

Most Helpful Girl

78
  • WhiteSteve

Sorry man. Just put my cat down three weeks ago, had him 19 years, raised him since a kitten. Definitely sucks, no way around that. But take some comfort in knowing that you gave him a good life and cared about him when others didn’t. Sounds like he lived to an old age too. They say putting your animal down is the best gift you can give them, ending long, drawn out suffering. Leaves us to deal with the loss though, but it gets easier, and the sadness turns to fond memories eventually👍

• Guanfei

What terrible is I still have the same habits I had when he was here. I used to check on him everytime I passed near the living room where he was, since he started to be sick.
      Also, I use to take him for a walk right after dinner.
      And I still do it now, every time I passed by the living room I still look where he was, and the reminds me every time that he's not here anymore.
      And after dinner, I feel like I have something to do that I'm forgetting, then I remember.

It was for his own good, it's the bad side of having pets, you know it well too.

• WhiteSteve

Yeah, that’s been the toughest part for me too, just the routines I’m used to, or being careful about certain things and remembering that I don’t have to do it anymore.

But yeah, man, it’s the unfortunate responsibility we take on as pet owners. I guess you just have to remember that there are far more happy times than times of grief like this, so you have to weather this part, but overall, it was all worth it.

• Lliam

The part about routines really strikes home for me.
      A couple of months after my wife and I got married I rescued a terrified little kitten from the white line of a busy highway. She was moments from certain death. The vet said she was 5 weeks old. We named her Rosie. She became part of our lives. Because of where we lived at the time, we kept her indoors. She turned out to be the best kitty. And yes, she was a central part of our lives.
      Over the years she went through many phases from kittenhood through adolescence and adulthood and finally to benevolent dowager. The thought of being without her was too much to contemplate. But aging is inevitable.
      Last December, at almost 22 years old, she finally began to decline, although she remained happy and capable of getting around. She never showed any sign of discomfort but began eating less about a week before she passed. Two days before she passed she quit eating entirely. We woke up on the morning of her passing to find her lying on the carpet in the hallway. We moved her to her comfy bed and I called the vet who couldn't get us in until that afternoon. My wife had to go to work but I stayed with Rosie. At 11:15 I looked over at her and couldn't see her breathing. When I looked closer and lifted her head, she was gone. She had slipped away peacefully, the way she would have wanted to. She hated riding in the car and going to the vet.
      I found a box and put her in it, wrapped in one of her bankies. We have three rose bushes in our yard. Two had no flowers. I went to the one that is way out at the back of our yard. In the middle of December, it only had one flower - a perfect red rose for our girl. It was like a miracle. I placed it with her and, after my wife got home, we said goodbye to Rosie and buried her in a marked grave
      It was soul crushing, but we have such happy memories of her. It's like she found US and we are so grateful to have had her in our lives. But here is an emptiness without her here.

• Justacatlady

I’m so sorry for your loss. That’s got to be very hard. I don’t know you but I’m sending good energy to you.

• Harmseygrace

I’m going to cry. Poor Foxy and poor you. My cat died five years ago from a snake bite. My dogs are getting old too, I really don’t want them to go.

• Guanfei

We never want them to go. But I'll tell you, you should be ready for it. You should already think about it.
      I wasn't ready, and when it happened, it was much more painful.

• It’s painful to think about it too.

• Guanfei

It is, but I lost him suddenly and I wasn't ready, I thought I would come home with him. I wasn't prepared and it made it even worse.

• Lliam

That was beautiful, Guanfei. I feel your pain, bro. I misted up because I've been there myself.
    Praise and good wishes to you, Fox. You WERE a lucky dog. And you were a good, good dog. I'd like to think of you as youthful and happy again in doggy heaven. Peace, kiddo.

• Browneye57

Sorry to hear. Losing a pet, or anything you love is a heartbreaker. I've been through it over and over and over. Most of the family is dead. You learn to go on with your life, for that is what they would all want for you.
    Our last pom out of three is 17. She's so sweet, but her days are numbered. I can't bare to think about it, but that day is coming. You're never really ready.
    At my age, everyone you know has a dying parent. It's just reality. No one, and I mean NO ONE is getting out alive. It's the cycle of life.
    The moral of this story is, to live each day like it's your last. Don't wait to do things, don't procrastinate, don't hedge, go for what you want, make each day, each relationship count. Make your life all you want it to be.

• Guanfei

That's really true. Many people never think about it until it's on them.

• That is very sad , looks like dogs could be given pills like people to deal with the problems

• Guanfei

He had medicines to take, but what he had couldn't be cured, only slowed down.

• Yes, but they are way behind with dog drugs. No aspirin for dogs.

• LovelyBones13

I wish you a lot of strenght for the upcoming time

• Guanfei

Thank you. Going to need it.

• Massageman

Sorry that you are going through this. Our prayers are with you.

• alice55

The poor, that made me cry. It made me think of my dog ><

• brittslitt

I'm so sorry

• brittslitt

Ugh do u think you'll ever want another pet again?

• brittslitt

I know I wouldn't but that's just me

• Guanfei

I already have another pet, a cat. Maybe, later, I'll take another dog. But for now I don't want to. The pain I felt when his heart stopped beating under my hand, it's too much to want to live it again soon.

• zagor

Always tough losing a good friend.

• Guanfei

Yep, I'm not looking forward to going through this again.

• markscott

I'm so sorry that you lost such a dear friend.

• Thotkiana

Sorry for your loss ❤️

• Secretgardenblood

Good take

• Anonymous

Buy a new one