Why we should try and be kinder to one another

Christmas is coming and one of the messages it brings us is:

We should be more kinder and caring when Christmas rolls around.

I do agree, enthusiastically agree, but only partially.

We should be more kinder and caring? Yes.
Only when Christmas rolls around? No.

Someone already agrees with me on that.

In 1998, the World Kindness Movement declared 13th November the World Kindness Day.

Let that sink in for a moment. The 13th of November, not the 25th of December.
Personally, I think that the message at the bottom of this choice is : Every day is good to be kind and caring.

Sounds too idealistic and optimist, right? After all, we hear bad news all the times. Wars, violence, discrimination, political and social tension.

Well, then it's not this the best moment to start sharing positivity and good feelings?

In Voltaire's work "Candide ou L'optimisme", one of the main characters, the scholar Pangloss, believes that we live "in the best possible of the worlds". While the rest of the book is bent on discrediting this maxim, in the ending Candide concedes to Pangloss that while ours isn't the best possible of the worlds, it's "the best to do good things".

So, how can we do good of that, and demonstrate that the world in which we live is the best possible to do good things, to improve our lives and those of people around us?

Let's see.

Everyone deserves our respect

Every living creature of this world, be it woman, man, child, animal or plant; as an unalienable right to life, love and respect.

Being kind and considerate doesn't mean being a pushover

This doesn't mean you have to suck it up to people who don't want your help/kindness, or those who would abuse of it for their profit.

This lead us to...

You deserve yours and other's respect!

Yes, YOU.

You who are reading this, whenever you agree or consider this Take bollocks.

You have a primary claim to your own love and respect.
If you can't love or respect yourself, you have none for others.

Being kind and caring doesn't always imply great sacrifices

Sometimes a good dinner with friends is enough…

Just listening to someone who needs to someone to talk to and/or vent, or invite out that friend who's always busy, it's a bit of an introvert or is going through a rough patch.

Maybe for you it's a small thing, but for that person it's a very concrete help.

But when it does, don't be afraid to step up

…sometimes not.

You are helping a fellow human being. Especially if it's someone you already love and care about, no sacrifice will feel too big to you.

But naturally...

Be reasonable

Voltaire
Voltaire

You can't help everyone, and you can't help people who won't help themselves.

It's sad, but true.

Don't be afraid to smile!

:D

Show your positivity, your emotions! Smile!
Not in the commercial sense of the term, but in the emotional and sincere one.
Don't be afraid to smile, even if you have ugly teeth like mine!

Kindness can be shared with everyone!

Friendship knows no age

That's the best thing about kindness.

It's appreciated by everyone in the world; without distinction of gender, race, age and sexual preferences.

And with animals too!

Woof!

That dog who always sits behind that fence? Try giving it a caress, if it isn't aggressive and it's owners are okay with that.

That stray cat who always lurks around? Leave some milk to it.
That pigeon that's ogling your hotdog? Give him a little bit!
They won't thank you or show you their gratitude, but the favor is very tangible for them.

So!
That was my little thought on kindness.
What are yours?
Share your opinions and thanks for reading!

1217

Most Helpful Girls

• I agree that you shouldn't JUST be kind near Christmas/Xmas. But people say that, because psychologically, if you give someone a certain time to do something (Being kind, finishing a paper, etc.) they will have a higher percentage of doing it. Not to offend the human race, but people's minds don't have the capacity to remember to be kind the whole year. Even if you are raised to be super duper kind to people, most human beings will forget about that and automatically store it in the back of your head. Being kind is something you can do at any time and that idea scares people without them knowing it. When you give someone a deadline or a specific time, they are more likely to carry out the task at hand. I agree with you completely but sadly that isn't the world we live in. As a human being, all we can do is keep track of our own lives. Be the best person that you can be, and others will follow in your footsteps. If you want to be nice, then do as many nice things as you possibly can. Don't keep track of the mean or not particularly nice people in the world, and just focus on what you can do for others!

Most Helpful Guys

• tha moment you realise being more kind is not issue. sorry to be the only rotten apple in a hungry crowd but kindness is worthless if the person doesn't know what that is. you can be sweet, kind, caring and people would feel creeped out, uncomfortable, unworthy, insecure or not grateful. much like chilvary or being nice people would think you have a motive or they expect you to do this.
    so being kind is cool but to those whom deserve it much like respect they have earn it.

• That's right.
      In my personal experience, it happened that people misunderstood or took advantage of my kindness, so that's why now, being a bit more mature, I know when to be and when to avoid.

One of the points I had put summed up this, but maybe I should have put "When and how" point.

• "Recognize when to be, or when it would be useless/counterproducing.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 10

• It all just comes down to one simple golden rule. Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.

• Definition of kindness is friendliness, considerate and generous

• I would agree, but my distaste for humans is too strong

• You are a good pearson.

• Definitely

• Good take

• Always

• You're talking about a moral standard. Morals are subjective and i think this is just your opinion.
    According to this, you have to respect my opinion just as much as yours.
    Since its equal my view that NOT everyone deserves respect is just as good as yours. Therefore they cancel each other out. Good luck with that.

• Morals are objective to certain extent because they're followed by majority of the people, or they wouldn't really be known as "moral standard." And given the number and considering that its "majority" I think its more likely that there are more objective sides than subjective sides when it comes to moral standard.

• @unomilkis1 Different societies have different moral values. Cannibals all think it's fine to eat humans. ALL of them do. If total number of people who vote an idea is moral then if 99 percent of prison inmates vote to rape and murder female guards... then it's good. By what standard are you comparing moral improvement? Some people today want slavery. There's still countries where it's legal. Is it a simple numbers game?

• Right but just how many are cannibals in the world? The little tribe in Indian ocean represents just how much? You say that but if its a society one of the moral that is most likely in place is going to be avoiding things like "murder." Tell me a country where murder is legal perhaps?

No because population in prison are vastly outnumbered by people who aren't in prison hahaha.

By modern day standard where slavery is illegal? 😂😂😂 Most likely people aren't openly asking for return of slavery. Well let me ask you since you claimed that "some people today want slavery." Ok, how many people out of about 330 million people in United States are encouraging slaver once again?

• Yes that’s an idea

• Well said but no one listens..
    That's society unfortunately

What Guys Said 15

• Absurd. Kindness and niceness have no intrinsic value. You would mistakingly mistake goodness for nicenness and kindness and they couldn't be any more different. Niceness is only appeasement, it derives its value from respect. Kindness, is to treat others as kind, as in how you would act within a family, a savage killer in kind is nothing to be gracious towards. Goodness is to act righteous. Kindness and niceness without goodness is how criminals act with one another. Kindness and niceness derive their value from goodness, not self gratification.

These ideas of respect are silly too. Love too. They are basically just synonyms of niceness! Baaa humbug! What in the world is respect if it doesn't have contrast, how can one find respect in both good and bad things? I might be able to support the idea of loving one another, but again it's value is lost to a lack of scrupulous understanding.

These ideas seem to have gone backwards in time. Before any idea of what goodness was. Then again, I am most certainly being unfair. Regardless, the lack of exposure towards the fundamental essence that gives meaning to these other virtues seems substantially absent.

Niceness is yuck.

• Why is the picture for this doki doki literature club?

But on the take. Kindness is fine but everyone needs to keep it at the right limit. So like you said you don't sacrifice too much for it.

• Exactly. You shouldn't sacrifice too much for the wrong people. I think there are people who no matter what you give them, they don't give anything back. But there are people who if you give them a seed, they give you back a grown plant with fruits.

On the pic, I had chosen it only for that section, but G@G felt like putting it on the cover.

• I use to be the type that would do that because I felt it was 'the right' thing to do. I still do but have a backbone to not be taken advantage of.

Didn't see it in the section but it hit me in the feels since even kindness won't help sayori. gag can be weird with pics.

• Very good suggestions here, and none of them are difficult to do.

• Here's the thing I've been doing this all year long every single year.

Why should we only be kind and caring during the winter times?

People should be kind and caring all the time. Then maybe we will stop having so many school shootings and terrible people in this world.

• I never thought I'd get genuine life advice from Hitler. Thank you.

All jokes aside, good take. Spread that positivity!

• I clicked for the anime, this had nothing to do with anime.

• Everyone has a place and an importance on the Earth. Everyone should be respected in some way, no matter how harmful or terrible.

• Fine dream. They usually shoot, stab, or crucify people who speak up for it though.

Watch your back, OP.

Even Jeesus was killed by the poleeces.

• Boy doesn't understand human nature.

What you're asking me to do is effectively put a target on my back.

• I understand where you are coming from and the guys take seems a bit "pie in the sky" but he also makes a valid point for the most part. We can all strive to be kinder to others be they human or animal while at all times keeping in mind that it is a violemt world and each and everyone of us is totally responsible for our own personal security.

• @Stockton Understand: I'm already kind to most people I meet. But, I am also mean. If a guy walks in my way I won't hesitate to bump. Same for women.

People need to know that I'm not to be crossed, because the alternative is. . . .

• respect is built overtime but can be broken in one moment

• Why do you have a Hitler mustache?

• I kept it for almost four years now, it started as a joke but then I really liked the style.

Don't worry, I have no admiration whatsoever for the H-man and I'm in no way a Nazi.
      I always like to say I took it from Charlie Chaplin and Charles DeGaulle.

• @Jean-Marie_Céline
      I do see the resemblance with Chaplin ;)

Agree with you partially on the take. However, sometimes, it can be good to be the asshole in some situations.

• 🙂
      It was one of the points, to take into account your own wellbeing. You can't be kind to others if you aren't kind to yourself, you can't love others if you can't love yourself.

• German kids are already kinder.

• I disagree, I prefer cruelty to compassion

• Have u ever murdered