Every person you meet is a potential treasure!

I always have had this tendency to talk with everyone, learn about them and try to make good of what I learn to strike up friendships or at least work relationships.

I always talk and interact with people of all types, of different cultural backgrounds, gender and opinions - this way, I have accrued friends and important relationships of all kind, that benefit me and them both on a personal and professional plan!

This is something that can be really useful and beneficial for all the parties involved.

You can never know what you'll find

Every person has a different personal treasure made up of emotions, experiences and knowledge.
Showing yourself sincerely interested will encourage them to share a bit of their treasure with you.

What they share is directly proportional to the level of the relationship.

The closer you are, the more the other person trusts you, the more they'll be willing to share.
It's a beautiful cycle - the more you nurture the relationship, the more they'll share; the more they share, the easier is to nurture the relationship.

Everyone has hidden depths

Never take anyone at face value.

That easy going and goofy guy?
Maybe he has deeper and more mature thoughts that he may let on, and he'd be glad to share them with you and hear what you think about them.

That silent and mild-mannered girl?
Maybe she has a burning passion for the things she's interested in, and would be delighted to share that world with you.

Be prepared

It's beautiful to never know what you may find, but sometimes you may find more than you thought, or not always positive things.

Be prepared for that.

With the right amount of empathy and understanding, you can be of help and make that person trust you more, improving the relationship in the process.

Keep your critical thinking

There's a difference between being kind and understanding; and being a pushover and a sycophant.
Don't compromise your ideals, morals and ethics. Don't tolerate toxic or inappropriate behavior if you don't want to.

You can discuss, confront and share ideas in a civil and constructive debate though.

Give back

That's really important.

The most beautiful thing about this is that it's a two-way street.

The other people are sharing their personal treasure of experiences and knowledge with you. If they are interested, do the same.

This way you'll both learn new things and improve your relationship as a whole.

And this is really important in my opinion.

Don't be shy to share your thoughts, and thanks for reading!

Jean-Marie

8
10

Most Helpful Girls

• GraveDoll

I love this piece Jean.

I do try to keep an openness about people and things but I fall extremely flat. But it not like Im little Mrs warmth either. People view me as extremely cold and stuck up. which isn't the case Im just extremely wary of others. It hard to just be "open"

But I never burn bridges and I do try to remember anyone can be a potional something right lol

• StingRayxoxo

I loved reading this. Very true. My problem lies with trying to keep the toxic people and show them their "treasure" which has led to a lot of hurt in the past. So IRL, I tend to keep people at a distance.
    Very nice mytake-- I can see this from you!

• Thank you for your kind words!
      You are right about toxic people, that's why I put my notice of caution in the Take.
      Naturally it's necessary to be wary of malicious people.

• You are right on this too.
      I have experienced it as well - it happened I met people who had seemed negative on the surface, and discover they were actually good people.
      Sadly it also happened the contrary - warm and genial people outside, cold and rotten inside.

• Thanks for MHO

Most Helpful Guys

• OlderAndWiser

I am still open to making new friends. I have friends who are in their 80's and friends who are in their late teens and early 20's. I draw strength from being involved with young people but I draw wisdom from my older acquaintances.

• You are absolutely right in doing this my friend!
      You are really wise and always help me out with your advice, thank you!

• Grazie per l'MHO, amico mio!

• Kakella

Good post, I agree with everything

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

68
  • Bluemax
  • selfesteemguy

What if I do have a social phobia and am afraid of talking with people?

• I'd suggest you contact a professional.
      It helped me a lot a couple of years ago!

• 👍👍👍
      Best wishes my friend!

• Thanks, dude.

• Izumiblu

Kryptonite and enriched uranium are treasures to the right people. Some treasures are best left untouched.

Other than that I agree with you.

• SarahsSummer

I view everyone in the world as friends I just haven't met yet.

• ChiPaPa

That's a beautiful sentiment. Something I simply can't believe.

• JuanFrank7

I've said for quite some time that every person is like a blank canvas waiting to become a work of art.

• Gedaria

Yes I like this. I try to do this whether male or female ...

• Lance1965

I think everyone has potential till you can get to know them.

• Saffygirl

Good take, I really enjoyed reading it

• Wowgirl30q

That's very sweet I loved it

• blythely

It's worth listening to the life wisdom of others

• Secretgardenblood

Good take

• Erikus12

I overall agree with this, good job.

• Udfjc

Hello