Welcome to this new myTake.
Here we'll be seeing some practical tips to reach your goals and make your own path to happiness!
It can sound overwhelming and a bit scary, but it really isn't once you have taken hold of the key elements to boost your confidence and reach your goals.
So let's get started on this journey of setting and reaching goals!
- Set your goals, both short term and long term
This is the first step.
The first question you should ask yourself is - what do YOU want from your life?
What are your dreams and aspirations?
If you already have them set in stone, good! We can move to the next step.
If you still aren't sure and are looking for your way in life, you can still move to the next step! How? Simple - set as your long term to be simply happy and satisfied, and short term goals aimed to reach some little victories.
In any case, now you are setting your goals. It would be ideal to set two long term goals and three short term goals - two of these goals as simple personal victories, and at least one to forward yourself towards one of the long term goals.
Yeah yeah, that's all fine and dandy. But HOW do we set our goals?
- How to set your goals
When you are setting a goal, you have to consider FOUR factors to properly plan your achievement.
- First - it's a short term goal, or a long term goal? You need to know in order to set a timetable for it.
- Second - in your relationships, WHO can help you reaching the goal, and WHO can be an hindrance? Analyze the people around you and don't be afraid to ask for help from someone you know can and will support you, and avoid talking about the goal to someone who might hinder you.
- Third - it is an ecological goal? Don't be confused, ecological doesn't mean whenever it will impact the environment or not; but HOW it will impact your life and the environment that is your personal sphere. Whenever it will have a positive or a negative impact on your ecology as a person.
What will pursuing this goal cost you in term of time, energy, relationship, resources and money? Once you'll have reached your goal, will you have a net positive? Those are factors you'll have to analyze.
- Fourth - what are the side effects of this goal? Are they negative or positive? If they positive, excellent! That's a plus!
If they are negative, weigh them up and decide if they are an acceptable cost. If the negative side effects outweigh the gains, this means the objective is not ecological.
- Lay down your action plan
Basically, how you plan to reach that goal.
This is process is called laying down the action plan, and can be divided in three simple elements:
- Set an action plan you know you can reasonably follow
- Consider who can help you or give you precious elements for reaching the goal, like a coworker, a friend or your teacher
- Set smaller objectives you need to complete in order to reach the goal and reward yourself appropriately for complething those objectives
- Be ready for the obstacles
Even after all this careful planning and preparations, you'll probably run into obstacles and setbacks. Don't be discouraged!
After all, a challenge is not fun without... the challenge!
When you face an obstacle, even if it's easy to get discouraged, to panic or be tempted to give up, DON'T.
Who dares wins. Analyze the obstacle, measure in which capacity you can overcome it and if you logically don't have the capacity to overcome it, ask the help of someone you who know who can.
It's NOT an admission of defeat to ask for help. It's the intelligent thing to do because you recognize your limits in a critical and conscientious way. Like action movies where they say ''you drive, I shoot'', teamwork IS essential to reach some goals.
- Consider the after
You have reached your goal, congratulations!
But you have still one thing to do - consider the after. Has having completed this goal got you closer to your long term goal? Are you satisfied with your performance? What's the next move?
Also, don't forget to share the rewards and satisfactions with whoever supported you in reaching the goal! Sharing is caring and you'll strenghten your network of social, personal and professional relationships.
Keep it up and you'll find your own road to happiness!
You rock, you are awesome and I believe in YOU!
A hug from me,