How I understand Jesus on loving your enemies

jennifer_bloom

Jesus mentions loving your enemies in multiple gospels in the bible and I will not be discussing all of them

But these are the four factors I will consider

1. Bless those who curse you:

To me this does not mean to radiate altruism around a jerk but rather to avoid being offended by their behaviour and to treat them with the same kindness and courtesy and respect you show those who do not challenge your emotional tolerance levels

2. Pray for those who persecute you:

To me this does not mean you shoulder the responsibility of giving your opponents a get out of jail free card or that you attempt to make up for their short comings with your own energy and sacrifice - rather - it means you try to change the abuser not by associating or arguing with them but by praying for them from a safe physical or relational or emotional distance. Sometimes people want their enemies to be evil because they hate their enemies so much they want to double their punishment in the eyes of God. This passage says do not try to enforce more punishment than necessary by baiting or provoking or exploiting their bad habits but instead try to enlighten and improve their behaviour by not cherishing or treasuring their humiliation and punishment.

3. Do foot to hate you and despitefully use you.

To me this means to offer the same service and protection of self interest to an evil person that you offer to a good person and let God do the enforcing of their behaviour is out of line.

4. If somebody slaps you on the right cheek turn to him the other also.

I do not believe this means allowing people to exploit your emotions by empowering them to injure you even more because the bible says love your neighbour as yourself- it does not say love your neighbour more than you love yourself - neither does it say love your neighbour BUT not yourself. Rather I believe it means do not allow past deeds or failures to tarnish your vision and openness and do not approach a person or society with a culture of suspicion and emotional pessimism based on past grievances.

5. If somebody wants to sue you and take your cloak, let him have your tunic as well.

i believe this passage means both to be unconcerned with your reputation and also be content with your situation when you have been reduced by the works of others rather than trying to usurp an established boundary by expectedly demanding payment for a past transgressions or moral oversight by others when they assign reduced acknowledgement or unnecessary blame to you. Be content with your lowered position and do not seek validation - even from those who dislike you for deceptive and untrue reasons.

ALL FIVE EXAMPLES DEAL WITH NOT BEING OFFENDED OR MORALLY BOUND TO THE FAILURES OF OTHERS BUT TO ACT BY YOUR OWN CODE AND ONLY BY YOUR OWN ETHICAL AND EMOTIONAL CODE.

Do not allow a villain to corrupt you by engaging their antics or being led astray by their hatred.

6
3

Most Helpful Guys

• Cryptic-Game
    Totally agree. Jesus wants us to love those and not wish evil on our enemies.
    Is this still revelant?
  • All good insight as always :)
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

34
  • Enochian
    I haven't forgiven those who wronged me. For the last 8 months I have carried that feeling of hatred around with me. People tell me to let it go, but I just can't. God doesn't want to punish them, but for some reason, I am the one being punished for being wronged by these people. So I ain't gonna love them, and every fibre of my being wants to destroy them
    • The bible says “do not say I will pay you back for this wrong. Wait for the Lord and he will deliver you (other translations say avenge you). when you avoid fighting your enemies God fixes the situation they put you in and fights them for you.

• Enochian

I waited for 8 months and nothing. what happens if I get hit by a bus tomorrow, than what... They write on my tombstone "here he lies, he was patient, waiting for the lord"

• Enochian

If you faced the pain I have endured in these last months, you will understand happiness isn't meant for me, so the only other thing that's left is destruction. I have held it at bay for these last 8 months, I don't know how much longer I can do that.

• MysteriousDarkness
    So if someone purposely harms a member of my family I am supposed to treat that person with love, care and respect because that is how I would want to be treated? That is ridiculous because to me it would mean that I am okay with what they did. I would hate what that person did and would hate them.
  • genericname85
    just an aged way of saying "kill them with kindness but when that doesn't help, go and actually kill them".
  • Bratsondanielle
    Someone slap me on anything better run and I don't care what some book says about it neither
  • BloJo

If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat; if he is thirsty, give him water to drink.
    In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head, and the Lord will reward you.
  • rienna888
    no fuck my enemies, they ruined my life girl
  • Anonymous
    I understand that those who are your enemies are jealous and want your energy.
    Because they can’t have it they will try to have what you have and do what you do and kinda like talk shit. But in reality they want to be you.

I was tested a few days ago, I was so mad at someone for breaking my stuff where I live (I live in a share house in London so someone broke my stuff, didn’t apologize and I think I know who it was but I don’t have proof)

I wanted to do revenge but I’m not doing nothing. I’ll let God care for that.

Don’t do evil things, don’t feed on that energy because it’s just going to break you down.
    What you do to others will be done to you and Karma will come though when you least expect.
    I can do revenged but I won’t gain anything from that so I’m not even bothered, just cleaned up the mess and bought some plastic plates
    Exited to move out that house when I can 🙌🏾 Leave those dummies behind and go elsewhere with better energies