How I understand the verse “Many called but few are chosen”

In Matthew 20:16 Jesus says many are called but few are chosen

I believe Jesus meant to say that many are religious and pious and devoted to the laws of religion

But few are humble and compassionate and just

Like a very religious Christian harassed me for criticizing Trump on Facebook and he said I was a bad person for opposing him

He is clearly not chosen by God for salvation

Others talk about God all day long but they never say thank you when you do them a favour

Still others think they are better than those less religious and treat the less religious like trash or ignore them completely

These people are also not chosen

A true Christian behaves like a soul doctor or spirit nurse and is interested in healing the broken and not ignoring them or mocking their wounds

11
3

Most Helpful Guys

• Jjpayne
    I think you are onto something there, it is easier for the camel to get into the eye of a needle than a rich man to get into heaven. Because a needle is an entry way that a camel needs to bend down to get through. So it is easier for a camel than a rich man to get down on their knees.

I think pride and selfishness can be some of the worse stumbling blocks for all christians that are then simply blinded from the truth
    Is this still revelant?
    • Jjpayne

Thank you for the mho 😊

• Dweezil
    Only the best of the best
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

39
  • CuteNerd9
    First, the verse you have quoted is Matthew 22:14, not Matthew 20:16. Second, the part you quoted should be read in context to better understand. I understand how you may have come to your conclusion, but it is incorrect.

The chapter begins with Jesus telling a parable to the pharisees. A king sends servants out to gather people for a wedding feast. In short some heed the call others don't. The servants are sent out again to gather people, good and evil. Eventually a man comes in to the wedding, but is not dressed in proper wedding attire. The king says to throw him out where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. It is at this point where it states, "For many are called, but few are chosen".

This is said in regards to the man who wasn't dressed appropriately. Keep in mind... this is a parable. A story Jesus told to make a point. The man who was thrown out because he wasn't dressed appropriately is symbolic of the need to be clothed in Christ to enter heaven and partake in the wedding supper of the lamb. Many will be called to follow Christ, but those who have faith, but not on Christ, thus not being clothed in Christ, will get thrown out where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
    • Yaaten

Yes, you are right. You really are a cute nerd! :)

• Maraneva
    Exactly. I always tell people no matter what faith they follow to just be a good person. In the end, God doesn't ask for how many verses you can recite to him when standing at the gates of heaven. He looks at the finer moments in life when you think he's not watching.
    "When you do it to the least of these, Jesus sees"
  • Yaaten
    "Like a very religious Christian harassed me for criticizing Trump on Facebook and he said I was a bad person for opposing him"
    I have to wonder if these people even know that Donald Trump isn't a Christian: he's an atheist, always has been. He just pretends to be a Christian in order to keep the support of these gullible simpletons (most of whom are not really Christian either).
  • TheDomimantOne
    We are never one to decide who is a follower of Jesus Christ or not. Because the scriptures are very clear. Those that we don't think won't get into heaven, we will see when we get to heaven. And the ones that we think we will see in heaven, we will never see.
  • Eeyore18
    I've never read this verse... Guess it makes sense why I can never turn down a person in pain. Just like I am right now. I've been through and seen the most terrible things just to help others out of their hole... It's like in the movie "Holes". They dig far enough down to where they can connect their holes to one another but have to help each other out. However, in my case, I help them out and they leave me behind. I'm not saying I'm one of the chosen, nor am I saying I'm better than anyone else because I'm clearly not. With all the things I've done in my life, I'm sure I'm in a lot deeper hole than others...

Thank you for letting me read that verse and explaining it in your own words so that I may understand it.
  • ThePinkKnight37
    Could not agree more. Also if you ever do read the Bible stick to the New Testament. I mean the true full New Testament. Because that is what Jesus was saying, some need church, but if you are a compassionate, empathic and loving human being, you are one of the chosen few. Even Muhamed, and Budda said the same thing. they also stated they did not want a religion created out of it. Because all three believed it is a way of life, not just a Sunday Thing. Plus i am under the belief, when it is all said and done we are all worshipping the same God only in a cultural way.
  • slatyb
    I think it was a commentary on untalented minstrels.
  • Exterminatore
    What this means is there is the general call for salvation that goes out, but in the end it is God alone who chooses who is saved and not. Predestination. For those that dispute predestination I’d like to hear a sufficient explanation for what Romans 9: 11-26. The key verse in that passage is where Paul asks this rhetorical question:

“Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?”
    ‭‭Romans‬ ‭9:19‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Paul answers his rhetorical question in the following verse.
  • collie22
    So the last shall be first, and the first last. For many are called, but few are chosen
  • Fukaroo
    Istanbul
  • MyBigMystery
    I don't follow mens story's as real life
    • Why are religious people so judgmental why is everything about you and your silly devil worshiping story?

• Anonymous
    It's the same with job interviews...