What Does the Bible Say About Homosexuality?

Anonymous

God created humans to engage in sex only within the arrangement of marriage between a male and a female. The Bible condemns sexual activity that is not between a husband and wife, whether it is homosexual or heterosexual conduct. This includes intercourse, fondling another person’s genitals, and engaging in oral or anal sex.

While the Bible disapproves of homosexual acts, it does not condone hatred of homosexuals or homophobia. Instead, Christians are directed to respect everyone.

The Bible doesn’t comment directly on the biology of homosexual desires, though it acknowledges that we are all born with a tendency to go against what God commands. Rather than focus on the cause of homosexual desires, however, the Bible prohibits homosexual acts.

The Bible says in Colossians 3:5: “Don’t be controlled by your body. Kill every desire for the wrong kind of sex”.To kill wrong desires, which lead to wrong actions, you need to control your thinking. If you regularly fill your mind with wholesome thoughts, you can more readily dismiss wrong desires. While you may struggle greatly at first, it can become easier. God promises to help you to be made new in the force actuating your mind.

The same struggle is faced by millions with heterosexual desires who wish to conform to the Bible’s standards. For example, those who are single with little prospect of marriage or who are married to a partner who is unable to function sexually choose to control their sexual urges despite any temptations they might face. They are able to live happily, and those with same-sex urges can do so as well if they truly want to please God.

20
55
20Girl Opinion
55Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Girl

• Rachel794
    Your my take is very brave. Keep speaking the truth of God’s Word even if people don’t like it. That’s the devil trying to discourage you. Keep going!
    LikeDisagree 32 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • Facts

• @Pumpkinspice009 I noticed all the downvotes.

• It is arrogant and narcissistic to think your superstitions should replace logic in the lives of others. This is why you are getting downvotes. Mind your business. And this isn't "the Devil" responding. The words I am typing are literally written in your rule book: Don't judge. :) OK, friends?

Most Helpful Guy

• jimmy2
    Its very true
    LikeDisagree 5 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • How do you know it's very true? Are you a homosexual gentleman who has incurred God's wrath?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

1954
  • lilyanony1
    I think it explains that in order to procreate you need a man and a woman.
    It talks about sodom and gommorah and God condemning them for all the sinful behaviour that was happening.
    But that's as much as I know.
    Although I was christened and was taught with some Christian values I really don't care what people are doing sexually.
    I do what makes me happy with the person I'm happy having sex with. So the same should apply to others.

It's really none of anyone's business
    LikeDisagree 6 People
    • Anonymous

The Bible also said, sex is only between a husband and a wife.

• Twalli

It also says sex should only be fir the intervention if procreation

• Twalli

*for the intention of

• purplepoppy
    The bible also bans eating shrimp and tells you to sacrifice a dove when you have a period.
    Like 8 People
    • Anonymous

Unrelated, but yes Jews had a ban against eating shrimp. I do not recall anything about sacrifice a dove, and I am sure you are wrong but prove me wrong about this, please. However, a woman undergoing menstruation was perceived as unclean for seven days, under Mosaic law.

Christians are not bound by Mosaic law though.

• Leviticus 15 On the eighth day she shall take two doves or two pigeons to the priest at the entrance of the Tent of the Lord's presence. 30The priest shall offer one of them as a sin offering and the other as a burnt offering,

My point is you can use the bible to justify most things

• Anonymous

You can only use the Bible to justify God's view, nothing more. We all have a free choice, including not following Gods law and then suffer the consequences of it of course.

But yes, the Bible has been used to justify all sorts of unbiblical things, but this is more akin to abuse than use.

• abc3643
    I'll let Mrs. Betty Bowers, America's Best Christian, explain a Bible-based "traditional" marriage and, implicitly, about homersexuality.https://www.youtube.com/embed/OFkeKKszXTw
    Funny 1 Person
    • Anonymous

Very funny, when the devil interprets the scriptures. Not realising when God disapproves of something and the context.

• abc3643

Sure. You think that.

• Anonymous

@abc3643 Shows your ignorance or even your deliberate opposition to God authority.

• Daniela1982
    Here it is in a nutshell. Romans 1 24-32
    24 Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, 25 because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator.

26 For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; 27 and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

28 And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. 29 They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, 31 foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32 Though they know God’s righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.
    I don't think anyone could make this up.
    Like 2 People
  • SlightlyEccentric
    The bible also says a senior citizen rounded up two of every animal onto a ship he built to "save" the world from an extinction level flooding and that somehow all species were saved through the repopulation of those who survived on the arc. Ah the great biblical tradition of incest.
    Like 1 Person
    • Anonymous

You just say that because you sister is ugly ;)

• I agree with the opinion but that comeback was hilarious

• Awkward for him, because I don't have a sister

• Savage_Wisdom
    "If a man lays with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall be put to death, their blood is upon them." Leviticus 20:13
    LikeDisagree 5 People
  • HighValue
    The Bible says that homosexuals will "surely be put to death." It is in the King James version which is the earliest English translation of the Bible.
    LikeDisagree 3 People
    • The Bible also says eating shellfish is sinful.

• HighValue

@supercutebutt Your point?

• Do you eat shellfish?

• Ez-Bri-Z
    I struggle with my religion a lot, but there remains one universal truth about the bible that people tend to forget, it was written and translated by men. Especially back then when reading and writing were a premium and not the norm, it was very easy to put your own influences into what it was translated from.

There are interpretations today that talk about the whole man shall not lay with another man, is an actual misinterpreting of that man should not lay with a male child as he would as a man. A common practice was for men to sleep with young boys and this would also make sense as something that should actually be forbidden.
    LikeDisagree 4 People
    • Anonymous

No, it has been debunked. The Bible does table about both women having sex with women and men having sex with men, child abuse is obviously also prohibited, but is covered under rape.

• Anonymous

I suggest you see the video, I find it short and easy to understand.

• Ez-Bri-Z

Nah, it hasn't been debunked and I have no intention of ruining a partnership that has lasted nearly 20 years over speculation of the word of men who had every intent of spreading their influence over others. There has also been no definitive proof of God existence either.

The idea is faith and I have faith that if God made us in his image that would include me being able to love other women and not suppress that. I will stick to main tenants of just showing compassion and understand to my fellow human beings.

• cth96190
    What does the Bible way about homosexuality?
    Under the old law, God mandated the death penalty for those who engaged in homosexual acts.
    Leviticus 20:13 “‘If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.
    In the Christian dispensation, God made it clear that those who engaged in homosexual acts were going to burn in Hell.
    1 Corinthians 6:9 9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men[a]
    1 Timothy 1:9 We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10 for the sexually immoral, for those practising homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine 11 that conforms to the Gospel concerning the glory of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me.
    Romans 1:26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.
    • Anonymous

Did say they would go to hell?

https://youtu.be/62F4cd-CGtA

• cth96190

When the Bible uses the term “shall not inherit the kingdom of God” that means that the people to whom the verse referred were going to Hell.
      God has a particular loathing of homosexuality.
      That loathing was why twice in the Bible the word ‘detestable’ was used to describe homosexual acts.

• Anonymous

@cth96190
      The Bible does not support hell, as preached by the churches.

• BlacklightShade
    When you look at the entire animal kingdom god's biblical concept of homosexuality isn't so clear.https://www.youtube.com/embed/xHXNJaqi2XAhttps://www.youtube.com/embed/ohFOHvcTC6Ihttps://www.youtube.com/embed/szf4hzQ5ztg
    Funny 1 Person
  • John_Doesnt
    The bible was clear about Jesus' being gay. What Does the Bible Say About Homosexuality?
    Disagree 3 People
    • Anonymous

You fail to provoke me, but nice try.

• mama_mama
    The Bible says that those without sin should cast the first stone. In other words, in none of your business, you shouldn't get fired up about it and it's not your place to judge. Leave them alone.
    LikeDisagree 2 People
    • Says the Ho

• If you want to quote the Bible then quote it all as my previous post.

• Anonymous

Not what it means, and nobody is being personal. Stating the facts is indeed our business.

• fjh80
    I’m not reading all that.

I’ll say this. I haven’t been through the entire bible. The only part that seen where it talks about anything gay is where it says something about, “a man should not lay with another man as he would a woman.” Something like that.

I THINK that it’s in the same part of the bible where it talks about not eat shrimp or sea food or something.
    I took it as “advice”, suggesting that you can’t make babies like that?

I admit that’s a bit of a twist, and I don’t want to believe that God would have issue with gay people.

I know this much. It’s not in the commandments. THOSE are Gods laws.

Even if the bible does say don’t be gay, it’s for God to judge. Not us human folk.
    Like 1 Person
    • Anonymous

See the video then, however, Mosaic law does condemn it but so does the new teastament.

• boxxie2002
    Owww not sure, haven't read any good fiction for a while 😄

I haven't read much of the Bible, but I feel a lot of what is written can be interpreted in multiple ways
    LikeDisagree 2 People
    • Anonymous

But the interpretation options are limited, for instance, you can't interpret it as homosexual behaviour is accepted.

• FunkyMonkee
    Who cares? It's all bullshit!! The bible mentions not being gay about 3 times but mentions not eating shrimp at least 14 times but, look at how many people eat shrimp!! So, if eating shrimp is okay after it saying 14 times, that you must NEVER eat it, why should anyone care about what it says those 3 times about not being gay?
    • Anonymous

I wonøt go into the debater about Mosaic law, it suffices to say homosexuality is prohibited in the new pact (new testament) while eating shrimp is allowed (and pork for that matter).

• Well, that's beside the point What POSSIBLE harm is gay sex doing? NONE!! If god didn't like people being gay, why did it make so many of them?

• Anonymous

@funkymonkee he didn't make people gay or paedophile, rapist or murders. It is peoples own free choice to become that.

Sin was not God's choice, and he made Jesus a redeemer immediately after the fall.

• genericname85
    who cares. make your own opinion. don't hide behind 2000 year old ignorance.
    LikeDisagree 6 People
    • Anonymous

My opinion is, the Bible is true.

• well you love being wrong then xD ok. can't help you with that.

• Floppy2112
    There is no way to creatively cherry pick the Bible into condoning homosexuality. It is however not the only thing the Bible condemns. It's one of several proclivities expressly condemned. And it doesn't mean you give up on faith, just because you have a hard time with something the Bible says. We all have issues that we need to deal with. It's not about being perfect, it's about trying and putting your heart and your mind in the right place.
  • lovedejj_xo
    I don't know I just know that I believe in god and he’s going to like my people that identify lgbtq+ And that’s that.
    LikeDisagree 2 People
    • Anonymous

If God doesn't exist and the Bible is false then yes, however, I am only talking about what the Bible say not if it is true or not.
      You can choose to not be a Christian, but what Christians belive is evident.

• Xoirwinkan
    Leviticus 20:13;
    If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Psalm 139:21;
    Do not I hate them, O Lord, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?

Genesis chapter 19 goes through a story about Sodom, where the principal sin was sodomy, which had to be destroyed, and is referenced many other places in the Bible.
    Like 1 Person
  • OnTheLevel
    Imagine being so arrogant that you can say with complete conviction that you know what God wants people to do.
    LikeDisagree 3 People
    • Anonymous

I know, because I can read what God had said. So can anyone else, even you.

• OnTheLevel

The words you are reading were written by other men as arrogant as you.

• OnTheLevel

Most of the Bible was written by Paul... a human. To say his are the words of God is arrogant.

• Show More (53)