I Will Take A Stand, Not Literally

SweetHomicidalQueen

I don't stand for the pledge of allegiance.

For you non-Americans, the pledge of allegiance is where all students below college/university stand up with their hand on their heart, looking at the American flag while saying "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Yes, that is something we actually do in schools.

For those who don't know, the word allegiance means "loyalty or commitment of a subordinate to a superior or of an individual to a group or cause."

I Will Take A Stand, Not Literally

Many teachers force you to stand and do this. Students even get in trouble if they don't. They're forced to even if they don't believe in it.

I don't whatsoever, I do not respect a flag because it's my country. It isn't disrespectful to not pledge to a damn flag my loyalty especially when I hate this damn country. The more I learn about our government and America in general the more I hate it.

I mean look at our candidates. Look at who could be our president. I don't like this place. I'd rather give my respect to those who fought for us rather than to a symbol which many people represent with "assholes" and "diabetes" and Walmart and McDonalds and GOING TO WAR WITH OURSELVES.

So no I am not going to pledge allegiance.

I Will Take A Stand, Not Literally
20
4

Most Helpful Girl

• Rissyanne
    Since that prick Kaepernick showed his ignorance... so many people is jumping on his band wagon. The only reason he did this is because he was riding the bench and wasn't getting any attention. It had nothing to do with oppression. And if you hate this country... leave. Maybe Mexico...
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guy

• Waffles731
    Bravo.
    You are more patriotic than you realize
    img.quotery.com/.../...ur-country-all-the-time.jpg
    I love Mark Twain
    Is this still revelant?
    • Waffles731

But thats a lesson people need to learn, that there is a big difference between patriotism and nationalism and most people confuse them

• I'd also like to add, I am not going to automatically respect america cause I Was born here. I didn't ask to be born American. I am not going to respect an inanimate object due to the location of my birth. Thats like saying I should have pride in and respect the hospital I was born in or the county.

• Waffles731

No one should, me I like it here,
      All my stuff is here, my friends are here,
      So I think its my responsibilty to make it a better place

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

319
  • madhatters4
    well as an American you have the right to voice your protest. there are places where your conscientious objection would be met with a prison sentence or worse

i went to private school. we didn't say the pledge of allegiance
  • VomitV
    Oh, how edgy. I'm sure America is devastated.

Not gonna go into an explanation of how beneficient America is (because I've already done that a hundred goddamn times on this site) but I'll point to the people who are actually old enough to vote electing a patriot like Trump. You can get catapulted over the wall with the Mexicans.
  • B4TM4N
    I c see your point. But for me, yeah this place is a shithole and has MANY problems... but it's the country I live in. I'm proud to be American. I'm proud to live in this country. America will be great no matter who the fuck tries to ruin it. WE ARE STRONG!

and this is coming from a Mexican lol
  • NJ_Casanova
    I think it disrespectful to all the people that have died for our country not to. I have family that have fought in wars... and it take it very person when I see people that don't. I find it as offensive as defacing a religious building.

I think the 49er BS is was a dumb decision... wrong way to get you views across... and aimed at the wrong thing.
  • It's a little risky if you stand for yourself like that. I'm not discouraging you but I'd prefer being under cover, you know, the less they know, the better for me.

I agree with you, the government makes anything up and then expenses us, the citizens for their own selfish needs. We already pay taxes, what else do they want?
    I'm no follower. I'm one man.

Respect!

@JudgmentDay I think this is interesting. Do you have anything to add to that?
    • You know that question I had asked before right? About fighting and dying for what YOU believe in? People should stand for what they believe in, instead of always just blindly following the crowd.

Just because they are told that they have to do this or do that because they are told to follow and do what is "right".

So like you said, you're no follower, or blindly just following the crowd like anybody else, you choose to be an individual, and decide and think for yourself, and have questions of your own.

Question when others refuse to question, or is unaware that there are questions that should be asked.

You think for yourself, when others didn't think for themselves or know how to think for themselves.

• Unit1

@JudgmentDay Yep. It's like a natural selection and it selects those out, who can't think for themselves or lack critical thinking. I think it's a self-resolving problem on it's on. At least we don't have to put in any effort in that but can analyze with our heads.

• Andruu4u
    SO LEAVE not one is forcing you to stay here. And no teacher forces you to stand for the pledge especially if it is for religious reasons. I stand because I love this country ans want to show respect for the people who died for what we have here. Not standing is disrespecting all of America.
    • It isn't that simple, I'm 17.
      Also, yea, teachers get very mad depending on the teacher. To YOU it represents that but to ME it just represents control.

• Andruu4u

Well then y are you living here under americas control? All its saying is that You respect your country (cuz the flag is the embodiment of the country). Why can't you just do that? whats so wrong with it?

• I don't believe thats what it symbolizes.

• Theodorable
    You're not pledging allegiance to Washington D. C., your pledging allegiance to the idea of individualism within a collective. You have to understand what America is in the History of humanity. We're the first true democracy in the world. The most successful country in the history of existence. Instead of hating, try being thankful and you'll love your life more.
    • @Theodorable Unfortunately you're 100% wrong, we are not a true democracy, we are a republic... didn't they teach you what a true democracy would be like in Government class?

• @Idonotgivearatsass I'm not 100% wrong. A republic and a democracy are identical in every aspect except one. In a republic the sovereignty is in each individual person. In a democracy the sovereignty is in the group.

• @Theodorable Pay close attention to what I'm saying a second time, I'll even capitalize the important part for you... we are not a TRUE democracy.

• SlightlyCrazy
    Jade this is a beautiful country... It's just full of bigot assholes
  • Dred1614returns
    I really hate to ask this, but if you "hate this damn country", why are you even here?
    It's within your rights as an American to burn the flag, not stand for the pledge, etc. I
    Don't take for granted what the country you hate can do for you.
  • NexAngelus
    can't wait till ur old enough to leave. we will miss u.
  • godfatherfan
    Then what you need to do it move out of the country. You disrespect all the sacrifices and people who died to make this country what it is. While it is far from perfect, it is night and day from many of the countries in the world where people don't have the right to even post the nonsense you did. How about a country that would cut off your clit because women are not supposed to enjoy sex? maybe you should go there and see what rights you have. Or a country that will put you in jail, or even kill you if you speak out against the government... maybe that one you will like..
    The "under god" part has no place in the pledge. I don't say that part. But the rest is something everyone should believe in.
    • You don't have to pledge ALLEGIANCE to the piece of cloth that represents this country, it's not required by law... which is basically what you're saying, that it's required, it isn't, it's a choice you can make. Just like with the national anthem, it's a song, nothing more, nothing less. Those ideals are what make this country great, the fact you aren't required to do those things like you are in so many other countries.

• SovereignessofVamps
    You can stand and whisper different word... some friends did that.
  • QooLipBite
    I watched them fight, and die in the name of freedom.

They speak of Liberty and Justice... But for whom?

---

It's basically all the same thing. Relating back to Hitler's Nazi regime. They force obedience and allegiance upon you otherwise you'd be persecuted, again infringing upon a right/freedom. Except they decorate their oppression with sugar coated bullshit and say things about 'pride, freedom, justice' which all built their connotative meaning through media.

All your life, you've watched movies, read books and seen things about American pride and heroism - freedom and justice. That's how your government is using propaganda to make people believe and support simply because they claim to be just and free.
  • RationalMale
    If you hate this country and can't stand Trump, go move to Canada like Sam Jackson and Cher and Lena Durham all promised.

#notmycountrymen #notourcitizen #putuporshutup
    • Again, I'm 17 and I prefer trump over Clinton but it isn't as easy as "just leaving"

• DaddyRollingStone
    wow man, that was like, so, righteous. I'm like, really moved and stuff.

indeed a modern scholar and philosopher of our time broski xxDDDDDDDDDD
  • CheerGirl38139
    Good God. I weep for my generation.

😭🔫
  • Aqualung
    Why don't you move?
  • Saoirse_Nua
    You are entitled to your freedom of expression
  • Adigelunar
    bravo
  • Kiran04
    0 fucks given.
  • Djaaaaay
    Ok then don't...
  • hand_me_down
    i agree with you completely :) Thank you