How Not To Be a Useless Social Justice Warrior Or Someone Who Just Complains About Them

There are a lot of angry people in this world who seek to silence what has been coined the, "Social Justice Warriors," or SJW's of the world. The people that spew the "I hate them all" rhetoric all day long are like any other group reacting to another (including SJW's). That is to say, it's easy to group everyone up in one blanket category and say they are all wrong and horrible because they disagree with you or don't understand your POV.

And where has that led us? To a world where their side, your side, all sides, just yell about how terrible the other is and end up back at square one.

The thing is, any side you find yourself on can both be incredibly forward thinking and right about some things, and on the same token, incredibly wrong and obtuse about other things. All sides have opinions and ideas and things they want to see get done, but when no one listens, what have we accomplished?

Social justice is not wrong. I'll say it again: social justice is not wrong as evidenced by the fact that most people in this world historically and/or in modern times have benefited from some form of social justice and those that have fought to make changes in the face of staggering opposition. We need people in this world willing to take a stand and fight for change and right in this world, but we also need people in this world who are both willing to listen to opposition on all sides and to want to do so responsibly because neither side your fall on is right about everything.

Here are some steps to actually fighting for social justice or not just complaining about them:

1. Do so responsibly. If you want to see change in some aspect of this world, do your research. It's the old issue of bee killing. Bees can be a nuisance, sure, but to get rid of them all, would mean no pollination and no flowering plants, and eventual death for our planet. You need to see not just the problem, but what removing the problem will do and how it will effect others and come up with feasible solutions. You can't help/save everybody every time, but if the solution is worse than the problem, realize that there may be valid reasons for strong opposition to your fight.

2. Listen to opposition. It's not just you who has valid points, but those around you AND not everyone who opposes you hates you just because they disagree with you. It may pain your very soul to admit that others are right or at least have good ideas (just as much as it pains them), but you want people on your side, and you'll never get that by just ignoring others because no one is going to listen to you OR them, if all they do is tell you to shut up or that your ideas are stupid. Don't just sit down with people who are going to agree with whatever you say on either side because that's a very easy road to take to convince yourself that everything you're doing is right all the time.

3. Don't just talk the talk. If you want to see change, walk the walk. Don't just pop off on social media at every little sound blurp you hear. Actually get in and join organizations or create groups who are practicing what they preach and actually doing the work to get things done. Anyone can bark about a problem, but if you want to call yourself a warrior, show up, know your facts (real facts) and come to the table with that info to back up what you are saying. Even if opposition doesn't want to believe you, at the end of the day, facts are still facts.

4. If you're a hater of SJW's, expect no more from them than what you dish out. If you want to be heard and understood, you too, must first listen. Again, just telling people they are stupid or have no good ideas, or that they need to shut up, is never going to get your own POV heard by the other side. It's a two way street which is just as easy for you to believe only you can ever be right or have good ideas if you are hanging out or trying to hear just the people that totally agree with you all day long.

5. On whatever side you fall on, there are dumb people on either side of an issue. There are idiots that don't know up from down, but on either side, that is not everyone, and on either side, if you can actually bring yourself to talk to some and challenge them in an educated manner that doesn't end in name calling, you can potentially change a mind or get them at least to listen to what you have to say, but if you're going to be immature about it and just say I hate everyone or everyone else is totally wrong, and have nothing to back that up, then don't be surprised if you end up, again, back and square one where nothing is said and done but petty and childish name calling and fights.

930

Most Helpful Guy

• I think this take should only be directed at the SJWs rather than everyone else. It’s actually the SJWs that try to silence opposition. We (non SJWs) respect the SJW’s right to speak their minds, however they (SJWs) don’t respect other people’s right to speak their minds. SJWs automatically label someone a “racist”, “homophobe” or “misogynist” just because that person speaks against them. They assume only certain groups can be victims of intolerance while refusing to acknowledge that intolerance can affect everyone.

• Thank you... I didn't even have to write anything because you wrote exactly what I think.

• @D_Bone_Steak That SJW are a bunch of people who disrespect others right to speech, and that they all label others as racist misogynist etc. There are a lot more level headed thinkers in the SJ movement than those imbeciles.

• @Jamaicanlove So basically no true Scotsman is like that right? I get what you're trying to say... but the fact remains that we can generally say such things because generally speaking... he's just fucking right now isn't he bruah. Now on the other hand you could make an argument that there is a quiet majority that is different from the very vocal minority... but I, as well as others, are going to doubt that with some credibility.

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree that not everyone who disagrees with em hates me. I am not a conservative or a liberal and I don't go by labels.

However, I disagree that both sides have valid points. I don't care about sides, I care about the truth. And is your argument logical and factual?

A lot of these so called social justice warriors don't want to listen to opposition. They are the ones shutting down speakers on college campuses.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 29

• Social Justice Warrior is just another name for bully. They ruin people's lives for main reason that they disagree with them. That is wrong.

• Hang on, do you have any example of people that want to "silence social justice warriors"? I don't think this is being advocated at all.

2 things tend to happen, people blast their ideology to pieces OR they simply mock them for being so ignorant.

And actually if you take a look at the behaviour of people who most certainly ARE censoring people and stopping opinions from being expressed, you'll find it's the SJWs doing that, Antifa are rioting at free speech rallies around america and attacking people and doing damage to otherwise peaceful towns/cities. They're also no-platforming conservative speakers in universities around America.

People are running out of tolerance for these people and the moderate left is doing nothing but defending them. Even when the FBI come out with a report saying Antifa are the instigtors of violence at these rallies, and Trump speaks about both sides engaging in violence, all the media condemn what he's saying as if Antifa are some kind of peaceful protest who are just being beaten up unprovoked the whole time.

People are genuinely sick of this now and the moderate left sticking up for the radical lefts behaviour is utterly disgusting, they're pulling down historical monuments and attacking people in the streets, it has to stop.

And then people have the gall to tell people to stop supressing the SJWs free speech. HAHAHA are you high?

• You got it wrong. We're not angry at SJWs, nor do we hate them. SJWs are brainless, like bacteria or cancer. There is no point in hating them or getting angry at them. The only thing to do is destroy them.

The only think SJWs deserve is utter contempt.

• "Social justice is not wrong. I'll say it again: social justice is not wrong as evidenced by the fact that most people in this world historically and/or in modern times have benefited from some form of social justice"

What most people perceive as social justice is as wrong as it can be because they are most often striving for the complete opposite of what they claim.

If you are a Womens Rights, Mens Rights, LBGQWERTY , Black skin, White skin, Religious activist or advocate for any other label then i do not see the arguments you are fighting for as positive because you already broke the first discrimination boundary by fighting for your label instead of every individual.

NONE of these groups deserve special rights EVER. Yup, i just said it very harshly but i fully do not care about the rights of a group. Instead i care about the rights of YOU.

I am what i call a Harmonic Individualist (Which isn't a term yet, but it sounds fitting to my views), someone who cares about the rights of the individual, believes power should be at the individual but while we should give the individual as much power as possible we should also abide by the main culture our region democratically agree's to so we all speak the same language, tolerate the same laws and have the same values so we can live in harmony. And when a large group of the region disagree's there should be civil debate and a vote on how to move forward.

This means i will always speak against anything that favors a group, so no corporate quota's, no special rights, no nonsense. Instead i want all individuals to have the same rights so that by protecting yours i am protecting my own without putting myself in front of you in any way.

Now you may think that because i said all this i am against stopping discrimination of your label. In reality i am completely for it, which is exactly why i won't validate you as a label but chose to see you as an individual. I will always come up for those discriminated against, not based on what they are labeled but because every individual should have equal rights. That means that i share all the aspects of these movements that have brought good things for everyone, and am against the actions that favor a group unfairly.

For many activists this might be a difficult or new ideology so feel free to ask me my opinion on certain subjects and i will hopefully be able to explain my stances on it in a way that respects your rights to be you.

• There is no such thing as rape culture.
    People regardless of their sex (so don’t make it only about women), orientation (so don’t make it only about non-hetero people) and all other factors (well…not all, but…you get the point) should have equal opportunities. Now, do you see how I phrased it? You don’t see focus on one group defined by superficial factors. All, the same.
    Like…take me, for example. I don’t care about people. All of them, regardless of anything. If you piss me off, which…is little bit tricky, then I will hate you and wish you death (swift, so there is no you as fast as possible). And again, you don’t see me specifying group by any superficial feature.
    Here is the thing. People, who you describing, are in fights among themselves. Nobody can win. Yet, winning is possible. Do you want to know the secret? Don’t fight in the first place. Don’t use broad, superficial labels.
    I often feel like human, who is watching ants. And their struggles.
    I am against ideas, not people.

• The trouble is too many SJW's think there should be a law to right every wrong and ensure that people confirm to what they define as proper behavior - under penalty of law.

• If possible, I'd give this article a down vote! FWI, for decades SJW's have been falsely guilt shaming conservatives, and with devastating effect. However, today rational people are waking up and pushing back against SJW bullying and thuggery. We now refuse to talk to, or to negotiate with, known lairs, communists and psychopaths on a power trip. Just as Nevil Chamberlain couldn't negotiate with Hitler, we can't reason with SJW's. They've made rational debate impossible. You have a lot to learn!

• In my experience, (and your mileage may vary, of course) those who self-label as "social justice warriors" are interested in neither society nor justice. And the "warrior" part is a joke. Rather, they have a cause they passionately espouse and will hear nothing that conflicts with their ideology. As for a "warrior" mentality, I've yet to meet one that doesn't actually bleat and bolt in the presence of violent opposition.

• Haters will hate.
    Haters will hate social justice.

• Didn't even read it, though I'm sure it made good points; I just saw the first comic and instantly upvoted.

• I agree with this myTake

• Critical thinking is sadly lacking these days. It's good to hear a wide range of voices, even those with dissenting views from your own.

• Brilliant - Couldn't have wrote it better myself.

• An useless SJW is a pleonasm. That said TL;DR.

• I agree

• That's an A+ comic on Social Justice Warrior vs Social Justice Draft Dodger. Great guidelines, too.

• People who complain about SJWs are way more common and obnoxious than the SJWs themselves, at least among people I've seen.

• Listen to the opposition, a key point not many people adhere to

• I agree

• Sjw's , are what they are... plain and simple.

• More from Guys
    9

What Girls Said 8

• This is so true though most people on internet politics aren’t very logical no listens to reason ether. Whay good is the “freedom of speech “ if it isn’t used appropriately. find how a cause can be Beneficial and be active about it. also when discussing don’t say “you’re oppion is wrong” because it an Opinion it cannot be wrong. Also cursing in an argument is the best way to lose respect. Talk appropriately

• I think we don't have enough social justice anywhere. I mean everywhere you go there will be a few idiots who want to cause join or live for unjust things like fights, and crime. We can only control one person, ourselves. So I think each of us should evaluate ourselves and ask ourselves what we can do to change our world. That's all we can do.

• SJW are just as bad as feminists. They all need to grow up and gain an understanding of reality.

• I hate racists and sexists but also can't stand SJWs

• It's all FUN AND GAMES until white people start to advocate for white rights to self determination and self preservation through a white ethnostate.

• Mostly I simply ignore those types.

• good take

• Good tips