Let's Talk About Catcalling...

Keep all your current thoughts and opinions on catcalling aside, cause this myTake is going to be very short and straightforward. Erase all previous views and opinions that you have on catcalling, and actually see the topic on its own. Analyze and evaluate. Think. Then say whatever you want.

Catcalling. Commenting on a random woman, often loudly and in an indecent manner. May also involve stuff like singing, whistling, meowing, stalking, bullying. Mostly done 'just for fun'. No good purpose. Sometimes done with friends out of peer pressure, for the sake of 'trying it out'.

Let's Talk About Catcalling...

Best case scenario, she is flattered and she forgets it after a few days. Worst case scenario, she gets traumatized and it scars her deeply. She might be going through hard times, and catcalling might be the last thing that she wanted to face. Extreme case scenario, she's from a strict family, her dad saw it and he beat her when she got back home. It happens for real.

Dear people who catcall and justify catcalling,

Did you think for once how it could affect her? There is no way of knowing if the girl would appreciate it or feel threatened by it. Did you ever care about her feelings? Did you respect her personal space? Did you acknowledge her dignity? Did you ever think for once what you are putting yourself in to? Is it honorable for you and for her?

Let's Talk About Catcalling...

No. You chose your fun over her value. And it's absolutely disrespectful. Insincere. Irresponsible. Accept it, you lack self-respect. Hence you don't know how to respect other people either.

If the girl gets scared by what you did and it limits her freedom outdoors, it IS your responsibility. You think you can catcall a girl and how she lets it affect her is not your responsibility at all? No. Because you caused it. You caused her to feel the way she did.

And it doesn't matter how she looked. You saw her, fine. How you react to it is completely your responsibility. She might be standing out in a crowd and it still is your responsibility. Everyone is responsible for his/her own actions. How it affected him/her and the people around, regardless of what he/she intended or anticipated. "I did it to compliment her-" You can't decide it for her whether or not she would take it as a compliment. You can't make her take it the way you want. And you should be aware of it.

Also, you contribute to make this world a bit more unsafe than what it already is for women.

What would happen if you didn't catcall? Nothing. No harm, everything is peaceful. Keeping your comments to yourself won't kill ya. Is it really worth it? What do you gain from catcalling? Because the one who does it gains nothing, but the one to whom it has been done can lose something as precious as... her childhood.

I had to stop playing outside when I was only 12, because the local boys were getting too irritating. When I questioned why I should stop playing and why not those boys stop bullying me instead, I was told that it's because I am a girl. Boys will be boys (so I should be tolerating it). Besides, I am grown-up. Why should a grown-up girl like me even have the audacity to play outside in the first place? It's inappropriate for me to even run, lol.

It was a sudden transition. I played outside with my neighbors a day ago and then all of a sudden mom slaps me for attempting to talk to my guy playmates. I was so... astonished. I didn't even cry. Just looked at her, silently asking, what was that for? Being catcalled? Even today, when anyone asks me to join the sports club or dance in public, I refuse. No thanks bruh, I learned my lesson. Ain't doing that shit ever again.

Let's Talk About Catcalling...

So what is your excuse for still doing it?

"Some girls like it!" Keyword: SOME. Not all of us. Yeah, I understand too some women like it and it's fine. It really is. All people are different. But you can't tell who likes being catcalled and who doesn't. So is it really worth the risk of scaring her?

"It's not the same in first world countries" only because a woman in a first world country doesn't fall in trouble for being catcalled, it's okay to have no respect for her? No my child no! Besides, you can't escape from the fact that it does affect women and their psychology. It does cause depression and insecurity.

Keep it simple, bruh. Just Don't Do It! The last time I checked, keeping your mouth shut doesn't cost you an arm and a leg. Cause let's all admit it, you better be silent if you have nothing good to say.

Let's Talk About Catcalling...
Let's Talk About Catcalling...
63
30

Have An Opinion?

Most Helpful Guy

• Shadow44

I agree that catcalling (actual catcalling is pathetic, and that women shouldn't have to deal with it. The thing is there will always be assholes in the world who just don't give a shit about how they make people feel and no amount of reasoning or discussion will ever change that. Like OlderAndWiser said stupid guys will always do stupid things. Even though their behaviour is pathetic, annoying and harassing when they just don't leave you alone I don't think anything should be done (legally) until it comes to the point of threatening violence, stalking, or touching without consent. The best we could do is keep discussing it and raising the next generation of men to respect women.

Now bringing my viewpoints back into the picture. I have no problem with protesting catcalling. I'm all for it. The part that bugs me is when you mix unwanted attention like a guy saying "hello", "good morning", "good afternoon", etc once and trying to get it criminalized. If a guy/girl respectfully approaches a woman or anyone else it's not harassment. If you don't want to talk ignore them or just say "not interested", "Sorry I'm busy", or "Please leave me alone" and go about your day. If they continue that's when it's pushed into harassment and becomes a problem. Society is anti-social enough as it is, why make the problem worse.

Is this still revelant?
    • Why would I be mad if a guy actually wants to talk?

• Shadow44

Some women are, some are mad when a guy wants to respectfully show an interest in them. That's just how it is. I've noticed a few female commenters talking about feminists below. They're the first type of woman that comes to mind. I will also say that they're the reason why most guys just leave women alone in public. I mean it may not seem that way due to catcalling though catcallers are just the loudest voices.

• It is actually fine to leave woman alone when out in public. Some guys say that they catcall women in order to be nice to them, yet they are never nice to their mothers and sisters at home, who should be their priority.

3062
  • OlderAndWiser

There are guys who drive around playing Zombie Nation very loudly on their car stereo, as if some girl is going to say, "Oh I love you because you are playing Zombie Nation on your car stereo!"

Stupid guys ill always do stupid things. In my culture, there are young men whose only concern is how much money they will have to buy beer and cigarettes during the coming weekend. There are guys who think that women want to be treated like meat in a butcher shop. Unfortunately, there are a few women who love guys who play Zombie Nation and a few who like to be treated like meat and a few who don't care if their guy's biggest concern is beer and cigarette money.

The best we can do is to engineer our life so that those people come no closer than the periphery. It is a sad commentary on your culture that you cannot play outside at age 12 but the realization of these flaws in our world is the epitome of the loss of childhood innocence.

I would never suggest that you get accustomed to boorish behavior. You will have a better life if you simply avoid those people as much as possible and pity them for their obvious ignorance when you must encounter them.

• Jackblue

well said

• 'avoid those people as much as possible and pity them for their obvious ignorance when you must encounter them' well yeah that's what I am doing for almost a decade now.
      Easier said than done.

• You have a lifetime to work on it.

• MlleCake

Yep. I pretty much agree. For me the catcalling started when I was just barely beginning to be pubertal at age nine. I think the very second I started to have a perceivable waistline was what the catcallers were waiting for.

But a 9 year old who looks 12 is still 9. And women are still people and don't deserve to be sexually humiliated.

Thanks for your take.

Los Angeles is not a very pedestrian city so now that I travel by car instead of walking or biking everywhere, the catcalling is less, but it still happens. And often the guys feel they can actually approach me now. I don't even find it a bother anymore. If men want to be slaves to women's bodies so they can't even mind their manners, that makes them weaker and me stronger.

• The last point loool. I was first stalked by a guy when I was 10 and it scared the hell out of me :(

• I don't catchall myself, but I know guys that do, and they see it as paying a compliment, not trying to hurt anybody.

As you say, two sides to every story, though...

• THey think it is a compliment, but they can't decide for us whether or not we would take it as a compliment as well. SO is it really worth the risk?

• lumos

"If the girl gets scared by what you did and it limits her freedom outdoors, it IS your responsibility."

This. So much. Basically sums it all up. It's like telling a victim of bullying that they're at fault for feeling like shit, and as if it's simply their own fault for not being thick-skinned enough. You know, instead of addressing the *actual* problem, which is that bullies are bullying that person in the first place. It's sickening how little people seem to understand that their words can and do affect other people, and sometimes in a very bad way. Even though some girls might enjoy catcalling, I'd say that the negative consequences of catcalling the wrong person just isn't worth it. Keep it to yourself.

• DevikaButts95

"Extreme case scenario, she's from a strict family, her dad saw it and he beat her when she got back home. It happens for real."
    I only want to add that this isn't a fault of catcalling. That situation the father is just extremely abusive and toxic.

• I know.

I wanted to compare the best thing that could happen with the worst thing that could happen. I wanted to mean that catcalling isn't worth the risk.

• Robin3399

lol and this is why guys are afraid to say hi to women cause they're afraid they'll get yelled at for catcalling cause you dumb feminists are ruining love and procreation and why remove my opinions when you clearly haven't removed yours before posting this

• i loved you

• Jackblue

Kissing our male butts is not going to get you anywhere Ms. Robin3399. Certainly not anywhere that you'll be happy in the end.

• 'lol and this is why guys are afraid to say hi to women' tbh guys should be. Women aren't so cheap that a man will say hi and she is all his.

'you dumb feminists are ruining love and procreation' the only one ruining love and procreation are catcallers. lol.

'why remove my opinions when you clearly haven't removed yours before posting this' because I didn't jump to conclusion directly. I posted facts about it before I stated my opinion.

• alice55

Honestly the guys who catcall I don't think they mean it in a "bad / mean" ways. They just didn't think of the consequence.
    I think it's better to explain why it's bad to do that rather than insulting them and calling them "pigs" or anything.

I truly think guys who catcall don't mean to offend or hurt the girl, they just talked without thinking twice.

• And THAT is what I am exactly stating here. Guys do it without thinking. That's exactly why it is disrespectful.

• alice55

Then we should explain to every kids to always think before talking.

• lord_chilled

I dont understand who this take is directed at tough.

I dont think this crowd of male readers are the cat callers.

The kind of people that cat call you for no reason are probably the same guys who yell at me " HEY MAN! F*CK YOU!" for no reason.

These are people that dont care.
    Its not that they can't understand that they are making others uncomfortable.
    Its simply that they dont care.

Im a person who can be easily provoked, especially when i had a bad day.

But even i would just ignore these guys.
    Its not worth fighting with them.
    They have nothing to lose.
    Their sole purpose in life is to make others as miserable as them.
    Crab in a bucket mentality.
    Just ignore them.

The only thing they can have is your attention.

Dont ever try to reason with them or make them understand, they would probably laugh at you.

I understand that you wemt trough difficulty due to this, and im not trivializing that, im just saying that cat callers aren't the target audience.
    Cat calling isn't even the target crime here. The problem was social views and blame shifting on the victim.

Guys like that are low life losers. You can't help them.

• I know. It's sad that I cannot show this to every catcaller out there. But I bet most people were not aware of the magnitude of harm it can cause to the victim.

• I think most people that have been insulted or been in physical confrontations can somewhat sympathoze.

No one likes being bothered or yelled at when going to school or work.

As my dad says, these people need to be put to work Nd be forced to ne productive to society.
      They got too much freetime on their hands 😂😂😂

• Yeahhh. They have absolutely nothing to do but waste oxygen, and most of all, they waste CHOCOLATES!

• JSmith925

I have never engaged in catcalling because it always seemed so course. I think that men who do this are trying to connect with a woman they see and can't think of a legitimate way to do this.

I usually just tell a woman "You look pretty today." I have seldom had a bad reaction.
    ~JSmith

• Well if you do it in a way that they don't mind and you're doing it to people who don't mind i see no problem with it. But with a stranger girl, you never know...

• cth96190

Catcallers are ill-mannered retards.
    One upside for an intelligent female is that catcallers identify themselves as males who should not be considered to be dating/mating material. . . ever.
    The problem with current female outrage about catcalling is that Feminists are using it as a pretext for a global campaign to pass laws that criminalise catcalling. When the wording of those laws is examined, it can be see that all approaches by men to women have been criminalised.
    Catcalling laws are a Trojan Horse, through which Marxists/Feminists wish to criminalise normal heterosexual interaction.
    The laws state that if a woman “feels” uncomfortable as a result of any action by a male, whether or not he says anything, a crime has been committed.
    This means that a man in a bar who simply looks at a woman can be fined and/or do prison time; and gain a criminal conviction for an Orwellian thought crime that will likely render him unemployable and homeless for the rest of his life.
    The only rational course of action for men is to refuse to interact with women in any way, because a man has no way to know whether or not the woman to whom he said “good morning”, or whose legs he admired silently, is a neurotic psycho who will have him dragged off to the cells, then destroy the rest of his life.
    I say that men should give the Marxists/Feminists what they want. Avoid women. Shun women. Go MGTOW monk.
    Eventually, the rest of the female population will rebel against the insanity of the largely lesbian Marxists/Feminists and have such laws repealed.
    Men cannot do anything. Women are the majority of voters and they are not listening to us, because they have been force fed the Marxist/Feminist Kool-Aid at school and university.
    The only way to get the attention of women is to turn them into the lonely, childless, virgin cat women who the lesbian Marxists/Feminists want them to be.
    We have to hurt them. Nothing less will open their ears.

• I do not even understand these terms. What are you talking about? Certainly not something that I discussed here. Stay on topic please.

• cth96190

My post is 100 per cent on topic.
      Your lack of education does not cause my post to be off topic.

• It is NOTHING related to the topic. It's not my lack of education it's your lack of commonsense. Oh wait, it's actually your over-smartness. Because my post is not about feminism. It is not about politics or relationship between the opposite genders or anything like that.

• You have invited me like I'm someone, who "catcalls" women when I have never done so. And I am a kissless virgin, who never had a girlfriend. Did I miss anything?

But I mean for real now: if sentences like "Hey there, beautiful." or "Good looking!" towards women are what is described CATCALLING, then how are men supposed to find a girlfriend when these 'compliments' are considered catcalling or harassment? Am I missing something?

• I invited you to read this. I don't know whether or not you catcall, and it doesn't matter.

Regarding your question, you should be saying it only where it's appropriate. There is a place for finding a girlfriend and there is a way of approaching them. The street isn't the place, and yelling from the other end of the road is not the way.

• Okay i guess 😐 🤷
      👩👩👩

• steveguitar

I don't cat call, and I hate when I see it in the movies or wherever. I'm sure it happens in the USA more than Canada, but maybe I just live in a less tight-nit city.

You could wear a small camera and take them to court maybe, but that is a bit much. The only thing you can really do is raise awareness

• Yeah. I only wanted to make people aware of the magnitude of harm that catcalling can cause. And people are getting offended for me pointing out this unpopular truth.

• Do these people have mother's, sister's, female cousins that they'd want to have that done too? Well no matter where you come from, you can learn respect, and it will be more appreciated. Fuck I would love if somebody held the door open for me.

• I don't need anyone to open the door for me. I just want to be a bit safer outdoors.

• torken

yea, cat calling is stupid.

I've never been cat called but when i walked home from school every day, frat bros would yell out "fuck you" or other dumb things like that to try and startle me as they drove by.

i really don't know why people do that. i guess because they're insecure and want to make other people feel as bad inside as they do?

• LogicBomber

Here's the quick and dirty about catcalling...
    1. The people who do it (male and female) are always garbage humans.
    It's never anyone of an upstanding social class. No one in a suit catcalls.

2. Although it's stupid, Catcalling is NOT harassment or dangerous.
    Women who claim they are "afraid" when catcalled need to get over their victim complex.

• 2. I don't necessarily believe that catcalling on itself isn't harassment either, but is is disrespectful.

One incident of catcalling isn't scary, but when it happens quite a lot over the years, the idea of being catcalled on your way to school and way back home is scary, for example.

• I agree,
      But it's also disrespectful when females expose and parade their sexual parts in public for sexual attention (especially around children), and expecting society to simply accept it.

• I'm Muslim and I dress conservatively so I better not talk to you about clothes.

• NerdInDenial

Well, in some countries men get harassed too but you don’t see them complaining, I. e. Thailand. Wait because no one gives a shit about men.

• I am not talking about sexual harassment in Thailand here.

• I’m just noting that harassment is not a gender specific issue; it happens to everyone.

• I never said that it is gender-specific. Did I? Nor did I claim for once that catcalling is sexual harassment.

• AlexEfron

"you better be silent if you have nothing good to say" ~ guess I'm staying silent 😂

BUT I have one complaint -

"cause this myTake is going to be very short and straightforward" - sure was straightforward but NOT SHORT at all 😂

And apart from that I'd agree with everything else, specially the part "I did it to compliment her..." - if someone wants to compliment others, there's a decent and polite way to do it rather than passing remarks in a humiliating way.

😊😊😊

• Goochbreaker

lol don't walk past construction sites or go downtown and you'll be fine :P everyone has the right to say w/e the fuck they want, you can get mad about it all you want but as long as they respect your personal space you have to ground to stand on. They are fully within their rights. I personally don't do it because the only girls that would like it are the kind I'm not interested in

• Jackblue

Construction workers and men downtown do it a great deal, but they are not the only ones who do it. Just because the law allows something doesn't make it something you should go around doing. There is no law to my knowledge against giving every stranger you meet the finger, but that doesn't mean you should do it.

• @Jackblue lol... you downvote my comment why? What about my comment makes you think I'm advocating for people to catcall?

• 'don't walk past construction sites or go downtown and you'll be fine' nope. I get catcalled literally everywhere.

• Heynashville

I'm a girl, I have 100% catcalled dudes.
    Maybe I'm an asshole? Unlikely but well agree to disagree on that.
    In every case that I, personally, have been catcalled, it was a compliment. Some guy tries to get too close or grab my ass, while different story. But my friend and I walking to the beach, have some guys 'woohoo baby' out the window, we laugh and feel more attractive. Dumb? Absolutely. I'm a highly self confident person as it is, don't care, still feels nice. Is this the case with everyone? NO. But seeing some feminists identify catcalling as rape honestly baffles me and gives women in general a bad name.
    I honestly didn't read the entire thing. Your 'short take' is infact not short. Spoken from experience though, when a man is abusive, you hide under layers. When my ex used to hit me, id wear things super unattractive and baggy, to make him not mad, and to hide myself who I thought was disgusting. If you're in baggy clothes looking disgusting, where I'm from at least, you're not gonna get catcalled. JUST SAYING

• How do you usually catcall guys? I agree that catcalling is a compliment unless the guy grabs your ass or something... Although, I once ended up sleeping with a guy who grabbed my ass lol. He just randomly grabbed my ass on the beach and started flirting with me (he was hot so I flirted back and ended up going to his place). But if he were ugly, I probably would've slapped him lol.

• You never read any other myTake that I wrote in this website. This myTake is relatively shorter than all other posts that I write. So yeah, it IS short.

'my friend and I walking to the beach, have some guys 'woohoo baby' out the window, we laugh and feel more attractive' I did mention that some girls like it and it's okay. But most of us don't.

'seeing some feminists identify catcalling as rape honestly baffles me' I did not say that catcalling is rape. In fact, in the entire post I didn't say for once that catcalling is good or bad. I leave that little opinion up to you.

'If you're in baggy clothes looking disgusting, where I'm from at least, you're not gonna get catcalled' even girls who wear burkha and niqab, get catcalled despite covering their faces. Yeah they get noticed less so they do get catcalled less for THAT reason, but it is not for being unattractive or whatever. It is more about how much you stand out in public, in my opinion.

You can catcall, but only the ones who like it.

• @PleaseNoPineapples "ow owwwww heybaby" usually gets the job done lol.

@cubstershura no I have not. I typically read the posts that pop up on the feed. Catcalling is rape is a widely known phenomenon that a lot of women seem to believe is fact. Look at YouTube, it's a thing.
      That's not how it is where I'm from, and I've lived anywhere from the city to the country. Point of the matter though, I got through the whole, "Extreme case scenario, she's from a strict family, her dad saw it and he beat her when she got back home. It happens for real." Thats why i posted what i did. While i didn't deal with an abusive father, i did deal with an abusive fiance and am aware of how things are.

• Kiran04

" cause this myTake is going to be very short and straightforward."

2 and a half pages later... Yea, no it isn't. People get heckled on the street. Whoopty doo. You can't punish people for using words without starting to infringe on the first amendment. The UK just convicted a man for making a joke about his girlfriend's dog being a Nazi. Is that really the reality you want. Grow some thicker skin.

• 'Grow some thicker skin.' And who will grow it for me? You?

Easier said than done, lol.

• Kiran04

I said it empirically, meaning you're the one who has to do it. I don't need to grow thicker skin. I have it already. The biggest fallacy your generation believes is that offense is given. It is not. Offense is only taken, and taking offense is a choice. It is a conscious decision. You can elect not to take offense and go about your day, but no one else is responsible for your choices but you.

• Catcalling isn't something that just my generation faces. All generations faced it.

• Hannajenky

Catcalling is not a big deal unless they are threatening you with violence. If catcalling traumatizes you then i suggest you stay indoors because to be that sensitive is a little pathetic.

Im tired of hearing about manspreading and catcalling. It’s ridiculous and tbh it is b. s.

It has become hip to label yourself as a victim. Real women are not victims. Life is not fair.

If you dont want people to look at you or talk to you then stay inside.

• Also, men are not responsible for your personal feeings. Thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

YOU are the only one who is responsible for how YOU feel. Lmao. Feminists can be idiots.

• bubble_tea

I just want to say as wrong as it is for guys to intentionally make girls feel unsafe in public, it's even more wrong for your parents to punish you for those guys' behaviour.

• Yeah it is. Most boys don't think what they are doing before they do it. Of course the ones who catcalled me thought that it's a one-time thing. They will never understand what harm it has caused me.

And this is exactly why boys shouldn't catcall in the first place.

• I want to understand why you want all guys to stop doing shit instead of wanting your parents to stop doing shit. I'd think it's much easier to stop two people than half the population in the country.

• MacViking

Enjoy it while it lasts. When women hit the wall (looks start to fade) and they aren't getting as much attention as they did when they were younger, they start to envy the younger women getting the attention.

• You can't decide for us whether or not we are gonna enjoy it. I never heard an old woman saying that she misses being catcalled. I understand that some miss being the popular girl in school or even just being loved by their husbands during their youth, most don't like being catcalled.

• Myplace22

1) letting somebody dictate and control your feelings or your self worth shows a huge weakness and that weakness is your fault from within, not anyone else’s fault

2) women benefit from a lot of double standards on society so I think women need to stop crying. If a woman catcalled a man and he complained about it and said “it hurts my feelings and makes me feel worthless”, people would laugh at him and tell him to grow up

• ' letting somebody dictate and control your feelings or your self worth shows a huge weakness and that weakness is your fault from within, not anyone else’s fault ' so it was my duty to tolerate something wrong being done to me, okkay. Got it brother, you're a genius. That solved my years of problem with guys. Thank you so much.

'women benefit from a lot of double standards on society' I never said that they don't? I am talking about only catcalling here lol.

Also, no one should catcall. This applies to both genders not just one. Did I ever say that it is okay if girls do it?

• Pugall

Well, I'm totally against catcall. But I just don't get one point. I've seen girls enjoy being catcalled. When i asked about it to one of my friend she said catcalling should be done so that the girl will feel good about her. She said the compliments should be non sexual and must have limit.

• I think your friend was being sarcastic. Also 99.9999999% of women hate it and feel threatened by it. Not just dislike it, HATE it.

• Read my post again. I did mention it.

' "Some girls like it!" Keyword: SOME. Not all of us. Yeah, I understand too some women like it and it's fine. It really is. All people are different. But you can't tell who likes being catcalled and who doesn't. '

• rjroy3

Real talk. I go for a walk, run or bike ride just out and about and girls will do half the things you're labeling as demeaning for men to do towards a woman passing by. Buuuut I like it.

It's a direct communication of them finding you attractive. Only makes sense that guys in general would feel that girls would take it the same way that a guy would. It's a logical extension.

Further, I've whistled out to girls before and they smiled. Laughed. Waved back, while shouting "heeeey boy" as we crossed paths.

I don't know when or where catcalling became the new thing to attack, but i didn't hear about it being "bad" until it appeared on random internet forums. Often by girls who were not getting male attention and are using this as their form of power. Just like the ugly fat friend in the group who isn't getting any. Her idea of a good night out is getting all the attention from her friends who are actually getting hit on.

I'm just saying. I've never met a hot girl who was legitimately complaining about guys whistling at her, unless it was a fake "I'm complaining about something I like, but if I say it like this you can't say I'm bragging". Sure a guy CAN creep a girl out and go stalker mode, which is different than JUST catcalling. Which is shouting something out as someone goes past, never to be seen again. But you can't equate the two.

If a girl feels truly demeaned as a person, with a guy whistling at her from a moving car and he immediately leaves. She has a problem. Not him.

• lumos

A girl smiling or laughing doesn't automatically mean she enjoyed it. People often smile or laugh in situations they find awkward or intimidating, because they want to de-escalate the situation or not attract any more attention to themselves. I've gotten catcalled many times and not once have I appreciated it. It has always made me feel like shit, and self-conscious. I don't need a random stranger to shout at me to make me feel validated or attractive. If anything, I'll just find it rude and intimidating.
      I'm sure some of the girls you've catcalled enjoyed it, but don't assume all of them did just because they smiled or laughed or appeared to take it gracefully. I'm sure some of them cussed you out in their heads.

• One incident of catcalling alone isn't always demeaning, but it happening regularly is demeaning. The fact that you do it because SOME girls appreciate it automatically implies that you didn't have enough respect for the ones who didn't appreciate it.

• rjroy3

"The fact that you do it because SOME girls appreciate it automatically implies that you didn't have enough respect for the ones who didn't appreciate it."

I don't do it. I said I "did" a few times when I was younger. I could have been more clear. That aside I think it's just a simple case where we have all the same information and just disagree. Maybe you come from a much less social culture. But where I'm from, saying things like "hey beautiful"/"hey handsome", "oooh, I love your smile. Can you smile again?" Is not at all considered disrespect.

Sure. There's a line like everything else. But people complaining about catcalling and labeling it universally demeaning are just wrong.

• I've never called a cat before but if I did. it's to get the cat to eat their food and not claw up my furniture.

• cherryphi82

You know, it's funny. You not only chastised but completely dismissed my take that I wrote about the pressures of women in society, yet here you come boohooing what a poor soul you are being catcalled and not being able to play outside. Not only are you confirming many things that play into what I wrote, but you are making yourself out to be the victim and expect people to have sympathy for you. Get over yourself and suck it up.

• Gedaria

Sadly the men that do it are a quite sad really. They think they are being macho but they just show how stupid they really are . I was working on a site and these lads started doing it , I churpped up how would you feel if that was your daughter and they stopped !!!

• Browneye57

Naw, let's not. Take the other street. Ya aint' gonna change it, so all your whining and begging is for not.

• Oh, you again? On some else’s post being bitter? LOL

Stop acting like the grumpy old man you are. :)

• It has to change.

• Reality is a cruel bitch, eh? LOL

Yes, I'm Jeff Dunham's Walter. So what? :)

• ovoxo_

Ladies and gentlemen, this is prime example of why no one takes feminism seriously anymore.

• I lost my childhood, you didn't. I saw girls in panic for being catcalled, you didn't. So shut up cause I didn't talk about feminism here.

• thottiana

Exactly

• ovoxo_

If you're panicking because someone whistled at you then you have some serious issues you need to deal with alone. What you described is tentamount to PTSD in soldiers, that is not men's fault. Deal with your own problems.

• Celtero

Honestly, people who so deeply wounded by words need to grow the fuck up and thicken their skin.

That's too bad that there's offensive people out there and that you're so easily offended. What do you want me to do about it? Does complaining about it on an online forum help? Nope.

It's not like being harassed on the street is a uniquely female problem either. I've been harassed myself, and that includes multiple times this year so far. My cousins would be threatened by these guys who drove around in a pick up truck when they were out playing in their neighborhood. I'm pretty used to it, you either play along, ignore them, or puff out your chest and tell them to fuck off.

I know that "sticks and stones..." doesn't apply to women, but you know that men are much more likely to be targets of random violent crime? Yet, somehow there's much more whining about catcalling on the internet.

• I'm glad someone said it. Sick of tired of this pathetic generation with no spines. Everyone is so weak and a bunch of sheep.

• Didn't I mention that I was 12? Was I supposed to grow up at that age? Against a bunch of boys who were a lot older than me?

Easier said than done, brother. It's easy for you to say cause you didn't experience it.

• Celtero

Didn't you have a backyard to play in? I'm sure your father would have been happy to talk to those boys.

I agree that it sucks, but what can good people like us do to prevent it? And just because I'm a man doesn't mean I haven't experienced it. As teenagers we get the same thing, except more hostile. Older boys hurl insults from the safety of their cars, calling us faggots, and threatening violence. A few months ago, a random man asked me for drugs, and when I said I didn't' have any he accused me of being high before I walked away.

There's not really much we can do, besides not let it bother us. There will always be people who harass others, be it out of malice, ignorance, or desperation.

• johnny_hustle

It doesn't really happen where I live since I live in a small city. At least not randomly out in public as a passerby. I would call it a town, and is classified as a town in the "settlement hierarchy", but it's technically a city.

Where i have seen it happen (I am saying that loosely) is towards cashiers, clerks, baristas and the like. And it would most likely be a bunch of old men giving a creepy compliment to a young teen. But even when I worked in that field I would get the same kind of compliments from older women as well. Just take it as a compliment and move on. Unless the person is literally following you around trying to get at you and you have been very vocal about that person leaving you alone, then it's not harassment.

• Nah screaming from the other side of the road isn't a compliment.

• And I never said it's harassment. Did I?

• Whether or not it's a compliment is entirely based on your own perception. The guy may think its a compliment whereas you do not. If a girl randomly catcalled me from across the street if I acknowledge it at all, then I'd just give her a noticeable fake smile and keep walking. Not a big deal at all.

• Charleslvajr

Best idea is to never say anything nice to a woman. It gets right past the possibility this particular female doesn't like being in a conversation.

• Well, as strange as it might sound, yes, that is the best option. If you're not going up to ask her out and you don't know her, the best option, is not to say anything. Because well, you don't need to. Also harassment and something nice kind of complete opposites.

• Yes. I don't need strangers to tell me something nice. I have my family, my friends.

• @yoshi_wanna_ask That is defined by the mood the woman is in and how attractive she finds that particular male.

• HereIbe

It's just plain wrong and the pathetic little boys who do it need to be taken to the woodshed and beaten. It's that simple.

• I think just teaching them from an early age to not do it is enough. How they should be punished depends on their magnitude of catcalling in my opinion.

• HereIbe

If they make it to legal adulthood and still do it, it's time to get the horsewhip out.

• jellyroo

Where in the definition of catcalling does "stalking and bullying" fit in? That sounds more like harrassment.

Honestly, I couldn't care less about somebody yelling a compliment, or whistling at me, or whatever. What's the point in giving a crap, sincerely? Is it useful in any way for a woman to have that thin skin? (Again, going off my view that catcalling is not the same as harassment, ie stalking, threatening or bullying).

• SapphireFox

It's embarrassing and demeaning, but I've never been scared. Just pissed off... imagine walking through a parking lot with your parents when you're 13 and having grown men loudly call you Tits Magee and ask you to flash them. That will stick with you for life. Men who act like this are selfish and need a good luck in the junk. Grow up!

• Logorithim

I once catcalled without even realizing it- I was at a cafe in another country as a tourist and made a sound to get a dog's attention at a nearby table. Several women heard me and turned around, at least two of them smiling at the attention. I was told by one of the locals that the sound I made was not used to get a dog's attention there, rather it was used for catcalling.

• Decentguy

Men who catcalled other women should also realize that what if some other men catcalled their mother, sister or girlfriend/wife, then how would you feel

• MadManInBlueBox

Cat calling is just pointless and stupid. I never understood it.

• JDavid25

Well, while I agree that some aspects of catcallin are disrespectful.. Talkin to a female sayin "smile beautiful, or you look pretty today, can I get some".. ain't so much disrespectful as it is annoyin from the perspective of the person receivin it.. If a girl is scared because a guy said some annoyin things to her, then she is obviously a little too sheltered.. Now, if he is followin her, commentin repeatedly on how "pretty" she is, or how great she look, then that would be where she deserves to kick him in the ball and run.. LOL..

• rjroy3

Exactly.

There's a difference between stalking, harassing, following a girl and merely saying something in passing

• Actually, a stranger telling me to smile loudly from the other side of the road IS disrespectful.

• rjroy3

Strongly disagree

• Bananaman177

If you have a problem with somebody doing something, you should take it up with that specific person, then and there. Take pepper spray or a bat or a gun if you want, I'm not saying get yourself killed, but if somebody does something, and you don't like it, you should tell THEM, not strangers online.

And if it doesn't bother you enough for you to be willing to do that, then it doesn't really bother you, you're just whining.

• I did. And it caused another big traumatizing experience in my life that I didn't feel the need to mention here.

• Life is too hard for some people. Must really suck.

• Well, whatever happened caused dad to call the police. :')

• loveslongnails

On catcalling itself --- yes, it's rude and tasteless, and there's no need for it. Now here's a point I want to make. People on this planet do stupid things, ALL the time. To suggest that a woman could be traumatized and scarred deeply, which to me means a life long event, by a cat call, is ridiculous. You won't make it through this world if you don't have tougher skin than that. It's NOT a catastrophic event, it's something you ignore. And your extreme case scenario only proves the father in the family has a REAL issue and is completely backwards. The woman gets a beating because some stupid males whistles at her, or calls her a name? The WOMAN gets the beating? I guess she wasn't dressed "modestly" enough? That's crazy. Please don't tell me it's a "cultural" thing... it's still crazy. So yes, catcalling is stupid, but lots of stupid, rude people and things will come into your world. If you let these meaningless people "scar" you forever, that's on you.

• But why should men’s and boys be allowed to sexualise a woman like that. It makes women feel unsafe walking down a street, makes her feel slutty and disrespected. Would you like to feel like that through your life?

• I'm pretty sure it's not just one "hey good lookin!" that she's talking about but not being able to take the short way to work because every time she turns that corner it's "Didn't I say she can't stay away from this dick?" "Oh honey comin for some sugar" "You look as good leaving as you do coming, wanna prove it?" A catcall is different from catcall*ing*

And a lot of women are blamed for being catcalled. Socially, by their friends, by their families, by their colleagues "I guess it wasn't your outfit, maybe something you did" but for more extreme parents & even some islamist women I've known their fathers have beaten them for being catcalled "You must have done something or they would have left you alone". It might not be 80% of women but is that what really matters?

I'm not a women who think this discussion, any discussion, should just be "guys should be trashed" but including all sides & moving forward together. For some people shock stats are what it takes to start a conversation

• One case of catcalling isn't significant, but I am definitely not happy about being catcalled for 7 years.

• Reach500

I think its kind of tacky. This may sound kind of harsh, but I wonder how they were raised

• Tacky? Who who are you talking about when you say, 'how they were raised'?

• Reach500

I think catcalling is tacky. I wonder how people who do that were raised that they think it's a legit way of approaching someone

• SirRexington

I have never catcalled but I have under my breath and to friends with me States how lovely or beautiful I think a girl is.

Some sounds I might do is a swoosh like sound of admiration or a sigh of longing for a girl like that. "Oh man" and "wow" are things I'll say to myself.

I always thought it was unprofessional but I don't think people should get so offended.

• People will say something offensive and I won't get offended? Okay.

• It's only offensive if you take it that way. I could say that I don't like country music. Someone is going to be offended even though it is not an offensive thing. I could say that I prefer a woman who doesn't sleep around, someone will be offended. I can scratch my head and a little dandruff will fall out and someone will be offended.

As for things society deems offensive, that's because we have all bought into the same idea. 10 years ago if a boy said be was a girl, he'd be laughed at for his idiocy. Today, if we don't buy into his belief then it is offensive. Nothing is offensive unless we let it.

• One or two remarks are harmless. One incident alone is insignificant.

But when it happens quite a lot...

I won't really say that catcalling ever offended me. It is offensive, yeah, but the remarks themselves, I don't take them seriously. But it's... frustrating. Annoying.

• TechOnLose

My god how fragile can you be as a person? All of us have to take other people's bullshit daily, some get bullied other abused, being male or female alike, of course, this practice isn't anything close to good, but for real now? Can't you worry about females getting stoned to death in the middle east? Or that they are actually treated like animals there, but oh no the big bad western capitalist system is letting all this happen to you, my god, so many butthurt snowflakes. And this is what you are concerned about, this catcalling bs?

• Jadelemme

You severely missed the key concept here, maybe work on your critical thinking and it would help you understand basic topics more; for the better of yourself and this website. Not hate, just an encouragement

• This wasn't even meant to be related with feminism.

This wasn't even meant to say that catcalling is good or bad. I simply pointed out the outcome of it and wanted to say that whether or not you think it is okay to do, it is not worth it.

Catcalling isn't bs. This is exactly why I posted this. To say that it can cause much greater of a harm than what you could ever imagine.

Still good try comparing this post with feminism, cause again, I didn't mean to make it a feminist post. lol.

• maplecruz

deal with it
    I got hit on by girls when I went shopping
    I said im not looking for anything

I walked away went home and ate food

• Get catcalled and stalked by girls almost every time you step out of the house. Then tell me what I should do about it.

• maplecruz

look ugly and bring a knife
      im guessing you live in new york

• Honey! Countries that are NOT America exist. People who are NOT Americans exist! Get out of your bubble.

• Midhat

Let's talk about catcalling... Don't fuckin do it you little turd

• Midhat

I was talking to the people who do it by the way

• LOL I clearly got fooled there! XD Gee, sorry!

• So letting a girl know she has value actually lowers her value?
    Logistics..

• Yes it does. Cause the one who didn't value her feelings didn't value her.

• I can see how a lot of those cat calls can make someone feel uneasy. But some of them are just more excitable wordings of "hey.. you're really hot!" If that hurts your little feelings and makes you feel unsafe, you're the problem, not them.

• Of course I will feel unsafe. It causes self-consciousness. It causes uncertainty.

Being called beautiful by perverts never made me feel beautiful. They never will.

• oddwaffle

It's a simple Nash equalibrium. If you cat call, you get fun and she leaves or she might turn around once in a blue moon. If you don't cat call, you get not fun and she ignores you and leaves. Therefore: cat call.

How often do you notice a random somebody who you don't see or hear?

Sure cat calling is a dumb way to make one noticable but it's a very cheap way to do it. It's like spam email. You just mail a hundred million. There is bound to be someone on the hook. If not then you spam to the billions in 2 sec.

• The best that can happen is that nothing happens and you both forget. The worst that can happen is... I mentioned it. It's not worth the risk.

• oddwaffle

You can't stop people from sending ads to your door. It's the same with this. It's normal. You don't like it but that's what it is.

Unless you want to have a huge sign saying "No Cat Calling Accepted" whenever you are walking around.

• Sending ads to door has a purpose. Catcalling has no purpose. Ads don't come with uncertainty and threat. Ads don't disrespect your personal space.

It is so ridiculous that you compared ad with catcalling. Seriously, bro? SERIOUSLY?

If you really think that ads and catcalling are the same thing, then you don't know what catcalling is.

• Juxtapose

Oh get over yourself! How weak do you have to be to let catcalling bother you?

"It does cause depression and insecurity."

Unless you're living in the middle east, just ignore the guys and go on about your day. Jesus Christ, how thin-skinned are you people that someone catcalling you *causes depression?*

Nobody is hurting you, you're just being a spineless chump. Grow a spine and stop giving a shit what other people say. If nobody is being violent (fuck that bitch who slapped you btw) then you can ignore them.

If you want a safe space, go home!

• callie88

I'm 14. I've experienced cat calling since I was 10 years old. So have most other girls I know.
      I'd like to see you telling 10 yr old me who was just cat called by someone three times her age to 'get over herself'. Develop empathy.

• Juxtapose

@callie88 Catcalling adults is different from catcalling children. Pedophilia is gross.

• Catcallers just can't identify who is an adult and then catcall them. Some girls look more mature at a young age.