Stephen Port and Why I Think the Police Still Have a Lot of Work to Do With the Gay Community

As someone who has many gay friends I worry and have great concern for their safety sometimes when I hear stories similar to the serial killer Stephen Port. I don't like stereotypes but there is a hand full of older gay men who like much, much younger men. Most of these relationships are healthy and these older men help guide and make young gay men feel more at ease and comfortable with their sexuality but some take advantage of their vulnerability and trust and it can lead to abusive relationships.

The police had so many chances to catch Port and prevent further murder and rape but ignored plies of evidence leading to him. I think in many cases police officers don't know how to deal with these issues and see a young gay man dead and sometimes think "oh he probably took some drugs at a dodgy party and died from it" and thought nothing more of it. I still hear stories now of young gay men being found dead in lake's after a night out and you never hear anymore about it and it carries on happening throughout the years but I only see it in my local news and not on big, mainstream media platforms.

Putting aside the case of Stephen Port I still see many other cases of crimes against gay people and it's not been highlighted enough. I've heard of men being beaten and verbally abused just because they apparently they look gay and as I said before I don't stereotype but with the high amount of migrants coming to the UK constantly from countries with strict religious values I can imagine they might not all take a liking towards the gay community and have backwards, outdated thoughts about them.

Some of my close friends have experience some of this themselves mainly when on a night out and people have had a couple drinks. I remember I was in Skegness seeing family and me and some of my cousins decided to go out clubbing and as one of my cousins was the only boy and he was dancing with a group of girls. Two men assumed he must have been gay and got up in his face and were using homophobic slurs at him but luckily my cousin is just as scary and got right back in their faces and they ran off like the cowards they are.

I've also had a friend be beaten up and robbed when walking back home from a gay club and his belongings were given back by the police but the criminals were never charged even though it could have been classed as a hate crime as well as a robbery and assault as they obviously targeted him because of his sexuality because he told me they called him a "fag" and a "gay boy."

It really upsets me when I hear things like this because it's 2018. I thought people were more open now a days and it stops them from coming out and feel a part of normal, everyday society because they live their life in fear and the police should be protecting them like everyone else.

730

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes I agree, we should deport people who come from countries that murder gays.

You know, the kind of people who like to throw acid in people's faces?

http://i.4cdn.org/pol/1525016864424.jpg

• There's plenty of eastern Europeans who don't like gay people too.

• @Bananaman177

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UG_N9H4XYY

Stabbing in London violence rates more than NY. Unbelievable!
      Things that only had news here in Brazil, Colombia, Latin America, Mexico, El Salvador, etc.

There are a lot mosques here, but these guys walk on eggshels.. In the first gang rape of some woman or child, if they are not beaten to death (by the neighborhood itself) when they go to prison they do not stay alive there for 1 month. lol

UK and Europe are doomed :(

• @didigo182 As I said, these are nothing but innocent children who are being delivered up for destruction because of the sins of their parents and grandparents. The guilty are never punished more than the innocents in this world.

Most Helpful Girl

• Pedestry is common among young gay men and it's a cycle that repeats itself. An older gay man guides a younger gay boy and when that boy grows up he does the same. It goes all the way back to ancient Greece were homosexual warriors like the Spartans, sacred band and Persian immortals would do the same.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 29

• I don't know the details on this but I can say that its really easy to claim negligence and failure on the police's fault after the fact. The notion that they just ignore or are indifferent to crimes being commited because of who is being targeted is quite honestly really prejudice and unfair. They have many many cases they have to investigate, protocols to follow etc. They do not have the luxury of hindsight, what they have is laws that prevent them from doing certain things like arresting some one and accusing them of a crime without substantial evidence. Hear say does not help, coincedences are not evidence. This is not the first time a bad person got away far to long, it won't unfortunately be the last. If you actually look at things from their perspective instead of assuming negligence or malice you quickly realize that they are doing, for the most part, a fantastic job considering their work load, the rules they must follow and a society that refuses to cooperate with them and see's them as the enemy (thus making their job of catching criminals even harder). Its unfortunate that this happened but this has nothing to do with the police intentionally or subconsciously brushing off the gay community, or any other for that matter. As for the "gay" bashing, that is rare and just because some one insults you for being gay doesn't mean they actually care, they just are assholes. So many times you hear that and its just absurd, if they are an asshole to every one then its not just you (not you specifically, you as in general) they are acting that way towards. I knew a black guy who had a confrontation with a white guy who started calling him the n-word. He assumed the guy was racist. Then a Mexican guy got into it with the same guy and he used racial slurs for Mexicans. Then a white guy got into it with him and he was treating him the exact same way i. e. he wasn't racist, he was just an asshole and used what ever insult he thought would be most upsetting. I know an Asian guy who was robbed by a bunch of black guys. Does that mean the black guys specifically targeted him because he was Asian? No, they targeted him because they thought he had money and they could get away with it. How do you rob some one based upon their sexual orientation? Did your friends where a tshirt stating that they where gay? Did the criminals specifically tell your friend that they where doing this because he was gay? Or was it just coincidence? I think we all know what it was.

• How is this situation any different from poor young women who are found raped and dead?

My best friend is gay, if I was gay there is no doubt hed be my boyfriend. But this is just silly. This isn't a phenomena that only occurs to homosexual men. It should be understood that crimes like this happen and they are always sad and horrible. The police need reeducation all around as well.

• I'm not familiar with this case, but I find it extremely disturbing when, as you say, evidence is ignored by police.

• I found some cops in my area practicing sensitivity.
    i.ytimg.com/vi/Gx7-3vgBoEQ/maxresdefault.jpg

• yeah, no reason to waste resources on this. The government is not responsible for people who put themselves in this position. The police should focus on protecting children from gangs and keeping drugs off the streets

• we can not cancel the gays from humanity, it's not in their hands ,,, we don't have the law to blame them ,,, it's instincts that can not be controlled

• The 'gay community' is the fringe. Why do they get so much consideration?

• I can't tell you much of what I know about these issues, but they have to know that where drugs are so is violent crime, a lot of gay guys are quite tough, and the community hear deals with its own baggage, Unfortunately when it comes to night life I know for a fact that cops can't protect you, the idea that all violent crime is hate crime if it's affecting the gay community is also erroneous, they beat the shit out of each other all the time. Gays do band together though so a lot of what your talking about I will say if they figure out who is beating people in their communities they sort them out in other ways. So I can't condone violence of any kind, but I don't go around hurting others either, I have to live by the words do unto others, I don't like being bashed, so I don't do it to anyone else.

• Good take. I'm glad someone is drawing attention to this issue.

• They need to live in a country that respects gun rights and the concept of self-defense.

• Triggered!!! Rape!!! Be more concerned about your Muslim friends throwing these people off roofs.

• "Because it's current year"

Oh please, shut up.

• No need to be so rude. I just expected in this day and age when we have so openly gay people everywhere because would be more understanding but clearly not

• Then why has there been so many gay serial killers then though out the years? it's unbelievable how many stories I've heard of young gay men found dead after a night out and people always assume the same and never look deeper. I understand police are just doing their job and have many other issues to deal with as well. But I think police don't understand and don't want anything to do with gay men being abused because of many fears and assuming it's there own fault maybe a why of tackling this is if there was more gay officers working around predominantly gay areas because they understand the much more.

• Through*

• Who cares? Next!

• If you don't care why bother commenting. The reason that many people don't care is why people like Port are getting away with murder

• Just because I treat gay with the same respect so everyone you assume I like gay porn. I actually can't believe theirs so many backwards minded people on this site it makes me feel sick

• Get used to it.

• It's a good post. Sorry for the late response.

• shouldn't engage in degeneracy

• mhmmm

• the police are gay

• Nobody cares

• yes there is still progress to be made

• More from Guys
    9

What Girls Said 6

• I agree, but I they have a lot of work to do for everything. Especially with hearing about cops shooting innocent people.

• Cool myTake

• Of course

• Lots of things should be done

• There's no stopping demons like Port. And, there are many of them out there. What do you suggest we do?

• I'm clearly not a expert but I think gay men need to sick together at night and learn self defense. One of my work friends is gay and he has a little club he goes to and he teaches and talks about all sorts of stuff to other gay men about how to stay safe. I think community and treating them as a individual and not based on their sexuality when it comes to making reports to the police is one of the main things they need to focus on

• Stick*

• There's a lot of work when it comes to a lot of stuff, not just this.

• True but it's hardly ever spoken about unlike other issues but I think they need work better with people with mental illness most because they can't only hurt themselves, they can't hurt others unknowingly

• Can*