Ambition Has No Age Restriction

No doubt, if you follow me you'll see I have an interest in politics. I like conveying my opinions and debating about them. My opinions are strong in my mind, I doubt anyone can persuade me to join the opposing side, whether it be a debate at school about the text we're studying or a debate on G@G about politics. But I accept other views, even if I don't agree with them.

Many times on many different occasions on this website, and others, and in real life I have been told something along the lines of:

"Aren't you a little young to be worrying about politics?"

"You're young. Have fun, don't stress about all this political stuff."

I am young. I'm tomorrow's old person. Why shouldn't I be taking an interest in politics? I'd rather know what is going on in the world around me, know the world for what it is and who runs it. I can't spend all my life living in some kind of dream world thinking everything is rosy and equal when I think we all know it's far from that. It's about time I woke up.

People telling me about how I'm "wasting my childhood" and I "should be having fun" well, I do have fun in my own way. I find debate fun. I have a healthy life. I go to school, after school I'll either go to the library with my friend, head to a revision class or just come home and relax for a while before I start doing my schoolwork. I don't see why I can't be a regular teenage girl and take an interest in politics.

How do I know it isn't a career path I want to pursue in the future?

I can't be ignorant to the world around me forever- the truth is everyone is ignorant of a lot of things. There isn't anyone who is not at all ignorant because it's impossible for one human being informed and knowledgeable about everything in the world. Anybody who thinks they are is immensely ignorant. If we accept we're ignorant to a lot of things- it shows we're identifying a problem. It's how we deal with that ignorance that says something about you or me as a person. Do you continue being ignorant, or show you're willing to become knowledgable and slightly less ignorant than before?

I am aware I'm ignorant to a lot of things. I haven't been to the capital city of my own country, I've never been abroad, there's so much I haven't even seen yet. I've had someone say to me before, that I'm only 16, on G@G from my parents' house, and I'm pretending I'm smart by becoming a G@G editor.

Firstly, I didn't even intend to become an editor, I stumbled upon G@G numerous times when looking for advice, and one day decided to join- then I discovered you can write on here, so I thought: "why not? I enjoy writing."

Then after I turned 16, I wrote the MyTake: Things I've Learnt In 16 Years Of Life... and was given an editor badge by G@G.

One thing G@G has given me the chance to do, which I wouldn't have had the chance to do without the internet is to talk to people from other countries, see their views and perspectives on life. Whether I agree with them or not is a different story, but it is still interesting to view their thought process and how they see things.

Because I can't afford to go abroad, I'd love to, I really would- go out and meet people from other countries and see the other countries as well as meeting the people- but it's too expensive. So at least with joining G@G, I've had the opportunity to speak to those from around the globe.

I can't stay behind a childhood smokescreen forever, I have to grow up at one point and whether I like it or not my "childhood" has ended. I'm not going to lie, those were better days, but I'm turning 18-years-old next year and I have to grow up.

People let age act as a barrier for a lot of things. Well being young isn't a negative, yes you may not be old enough to be able to drive yet, or watch an 18 rated movie at the cinema, but young people are the future. Should we be blinded about the world, or know how it is so we can take on the world when we become adults? Or would you rather have a generation of hollow-headed, clueless people who are lost and don't know whether to turn left or right up or down?

Sometimes I feel like the younger generations can't seem to win, no matter how hard we try. If we take an interest in the world around us we're "too young" and should "focus on our childhood and having fun" and if we don't we're "hopeless" and "entitled" and "know nothing of the world around us." What do people want from us?

I'll admit it, I don't know much about the world around me, but I'm willing to learn. When was anybody too young to learn?

Ambition Has No Age Restriction

Thank you for reading. :)

919
SpiderManFan2002 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guys

• We have similiar personalities

You probably think you're intelligent but you ignore a few things.

1. You think whatever you're doing is the right track and correct. You only have theoritical experience and no practical experience. You are doom to fail because your take is full of narcissism.

2. Noone can persuae you means you latch onto philosophical views that you accept but don't agree with others. Basically that's a nice way of saying cool story bro, you're wrong. You seem to lack empathy and your whole mytake comes out at bragging that you're so smart at 16 and that you're some sort of prodigy. I don't mean that in a bad way, i'm blunt to you because that is the language we speak. You don't understand or care about people who disagree with you is the vibe i'm getting.

3. People will always be prejudice against a 16 year old and a girl. You need to understand that even though you think you're way ahead of your age in terms of understanding. You are still a 16 year old, people will judge you. They will patronize you. If u get frustrated by this then yes you don't understand how the world works yet.

4. Your ambition makes little sense. You want to change something in your society? Seems like you're trying to prove yourself to god knows who. I think you want to change the world. That's fine too but it seems you debate for the sake of debating.

5. If you want to debate, i love debating too. We should debate sometimes. But how about we discuss or try to change eachother's views instead without judgement.

Did i come off as rude?
    Were you offended?
    This is what the world will throw at you and worst.

Concluding this, it seems you only want to listen to people who compliment you or agree with you. There are people who disagree with your views posting thier opinions. Telling you you're wrong. There are people who admire you (or maybe they just saying it for that upvote lol)

Tell me something though, you didn't say what you want to change about the society you're living in. That's why you want to get into politics right? To make the world a better place? Can you specify what exactly you want to achieve?

Nice take anyway

• 7d

Thank you for the reply. I'm not offended don't worry about it. Here is my response to your points. ☺

1. Well, isn't that a lot of people? In most instances nobody believes in, or does something because they believe it's wrong. I understand I have very little practical experience in the real world, but with time I'll build on that, that still doesn't mean I can't take an interest. Right now, my largest concern is the quality of education, and why in particular areas the quality of education is so poor. Believe me, I've had plenty of practical experience in that instance.

2. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with a view. I can agree with others, depending on what they have to say. For example if I'm debating with someone, who believes they are superior to other human beings because of their skin colour, I can't agree with that view because I believe we're all equal regardless of our skin colour.

Of course I care about the people I disagree with, they're human beings too, they eat, sleep, and have emotions regardless of our views, if I disagree with them, I'm willing to listen to their views and try and understand their thought process.

Moving back to my racist person analogy, I would try my best to change their views because racism is wrong.

• 7d

3. Though I don't agree with it, I understand people being prejudice towards me because of my age. It's human nature because many young people, including myself, can be naive. But patronising young people will not help us. Having a mature discussion with us and explaining things to us will and rather than getting frustrated we would learn.

4. As for my ambition, I'm ambitious about many things. A career, moving up in the world but also doing my best to make change. For starters I'd like to change the schools. In certain parts of England schools receive too equipment, in other parts the schools can't afford that. In certain schools in England students don't have teachers, why? I debate because it helps me learn, I could change for the better or I could change someone for the better. It helps me in class too.

5. Sure, I don't see why not, and judging is a no go zone.

In response to your conclusion, while I do like hearing the people who have positive points to say I also do listen to the ones who may hold criticism or disagreement. If I didn't how would I improve?

• No ambition doesn't have an age restriction but when it comes to politics it can be an issue.

Younger people tend to be idealists. Which in politics can be dangerous. You need to see things as they are not how you want them to be. Also you dont have an understanding of the common person. That is something you learn with age.

I remember being young and listening to older people telling me things i thought were crap. Now im that guy telling younger people things i know they're not going to take on because i didn't understand when people told me that

You sound like you have your head on your shoulders and i dint mean any condescension but seriously, dont stress about politics because by the time you can do anything about it it will be a completely different environment by the time you do have a say. Keep up to date, keep your interest but dont worry about it

• Young people are the ones who change the world.

• 1d

I didn't say I believe religious and political beliefs are in the same boat. I was just using it as an example, having strong belief in something does not make somebody arrogant but no, don't look at that point I made, go off on a tangent and completely twist my words.

This discussion wasn't about who is open/closed minded. Please stick to the point of discussion.

• 1d

You have been in control of where this discussion has gone and since you randomly brought up religious beliefs which is an entirely different discussion i tried to link it. I wasn't putting words in your mouth.

Lets go back to your first reply then, where in my first response did i say dont learn, and why did you ignore he bit where i encouraged you to keep at it?

Most Helpful Girl

• 6d

Listen to me, only a person who has not succeeded in life would tell you that you're to young to be ambitious. It sounds nasty, but it's the truth, I'm lucky enough to be at a very prestigious school, and you'll find all the students here word 10 hours a day, throughout holidays and weekends. It's encouraged. I'm 17, the same age as you, and I commend you for communicating and writing to people I really do, it's very good for you. Yes, ambition has no age restriction. If I was to give you some advice, I would tell you to use this website less, and focus on your world, and your ambitions, because girlsaskguys is not really a place you're going to make any connections that will be important for your life. So, go study sweetie, so you can travel like you dream of.

Join the discussion

817
  • Is it true that the queen was once a hooker?
    Ambition Has No Age Restriction

• I don't know and quite frankly don't care. I don't believe in the royal family.

• Sad to know that most of the political discussions on GAG are meaningless because none of it matters and everyone is just deceived lol

• @ItalianGuy2020
      I don't in any way fault her for being a hooker. It's her life, and she can do with it what she wants with it.

• Do not wish your life away, and do not be so eager to prove to anybody else, or yourself more importantly, that you can develop adult like understandings. The simple truth is that, despite your admirable passion and ambition to develop intellectually, you need to be present in the current years.

Rule #4 “Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today”
    - Jordan Peterson’s 12 Rules for Life.

You only have one shot at this game, so savor the early years, because as you grow older the years you go from wishing you could be 15 again to wishing you could be 20 again to wishing you could be 30 again, etc.

The truth is difficult but nonetheless is the truth: In general, with the exception of individuals who have had to grow up young, you’re outlook on the world will likely be radically changed between now and 2 years. It will become more matured between then and 2 more years. Within the span of highschool, if you pay attention, and if you listen to the adults you respect and those you don’t, you will see the world in a very different way. If you listen to friends, and especially if you listen to those you dislike, you will be even more radically changed. If you choose to accept responsibilities and work on developing skills, your outlook will also be impacted by such endeavors.

Rule# 9
    “Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don't”

I know you don’t want to hear it. But you are 16. When you’re 18 the world is VERY different. When you’re 20 the world is EVEN MORE different.

• Do not be so eager to develop and not see the value in truly being in The moment and enjoying the time you have now as a young adult who I assume has limited responsibilities financially, familially, and such.

I’m still a child to many.

My outlook will likely be radically different in the future.

So far I have determined that Your outlook all depends on these factors:

Your friends
      Your responsibilities
      Your parents
      Major life events
      Your daily choices

These are a few of the factors that affect and determine your happiness (The Happiness Hypothesis Jonathan Haidt.)

I know much of this is just a bunch of circles and doesn’t really go anywhere.

I’ll pass on some useful advice my father and a respected instructor of mine passed on to me that has always stuck:

Do not wish your life away son. You do not own anything in this life. Everything is borrowed. Your name is not yours. It belongs to those before you and it is up to you to carry on a tradition of good or to develop one. Do your part, and then pass your name on to your children.

- Father

A man has 3 things in this life:
      His name
      His word
      His balls

One to be remembered by. One to take up responsibility. One to help him deliver.

- Instructor

Don’t wish your life away.

But I admire your ambition.

1 Corinthians 13:11 ESV
      When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways.

• Exactly right. At any age, you can have the ambition to make things happen. Great job, madam.

• 1d

Interesting, though the ability to learn and grow is very important. I have changed my views about many subjects over the years and I feel it incredibly important to look at opposing views. To say no one can change my mind is saying that I am inflexible in my beliefs, that is not a mark of a great mind, but of a small one. Just some food for thought.

• Good take, very well written. Youth is the life and hope of the world. Fresh minds, strong ideals, ambition for change. Age is no more than a number, no matter which end of that spectrum you're at. Everyone no matter their age has a contribution to make.

• What is your political stance currently? I didn't get big time into politics until about 16/17, that's a totally normal time to become interested. You have to watch out though. One thing I've learned about politics, is that political shit is spread into literally every aspect of our lives, and most of it is paid propaganda.

• 6d

You see.

I read parts of your take and can clearly see two high level issues.

1.) You see gag as somewhere important. This is exclusive to gag, I am also on reddit and no one there takes reddit any seriously. This is not a place for you to develop great experience of the world.

There are a Few of us with good experience of how life works, but this is rare on here with the majority being unemployed people with time to kill.

2.) You are far too young to have any sort of life experience. You hear this often but you don’t really understand it because you can link a few pieces of logical ideas together?

That’s not wisdom. That’s arrogance, which is normal for you.

You need to get some experience in life before you indulge in the big boy shoes. You don’t fit in them remotely.

You are probably confusing this in a narcissistic manner, but I am not doubting your intelligence. I am doubting your wisdom, the lack of it.

• 6d

I know g@g isn't a place to develop life experience, but it is a place to improve my writing skils, and have discussion with people.

As I stated in this MyTake towards the "I don't know much about the world around me, but I'm willing to learn" with learning comes experience, if I was arrogant I wouldn't want to learn because I'd think I don't need to, but I know I do because nobody ever stops learning regardless of age.

This wasn't about experience of the world, it was about ambition.

• 5d

Please tell me in what way am I arrogant?

If you think I am arrogant I want to know why. I don't want to be or come across as arrogant so help me change.

• 5d

You gave Trump as an example, for my arrogance. Can you please expand on that?

• 5d

Based on your writing you look like you are on the path to becoming a typical ignorant white liberal girl with an inflated sense of importance and understanding.

• 5d

Okay, you think that- fair enough, each to their own opinion.

But may I ask why? By the way, I am not white, I am brown.

• 5d

Politics is a complex subject in the sense that you really can't make much sense of it without making sense of other things first. Experience with a job and taking care of yourself so you get a sense for what being a participant in the economy is like, knowledge of economics itself, an understanding of history so you see examples of what makes nations rise and fall.

The most general thing though is the harshness of the world, people who live sheltered lives (most young people), see everything going on great in their life and than just assume it can be that way for everyone and all the bad stuff in the world is some sort of 'problem' that can be 'fixed'.

You sound like you are mistaking your talk on the internet for understanding. Being able to get people to pay attention to posts is probably a huge sense of power for you, which you would overestimate since you lack any experience to contrast it.

You have a post in one of your articles mentioning the concept of privilege. Which is an ugly concept that only people with no knowledge of reality ascribe to.

• 3d

If that is a hobby of yours and you aren't hurting anyone I can't see why anyone would get angry at you for voicing your opinion simply because you're underage

• You shouldn't worry, but you should be concerned about the people who are running our country, I wish more young people were. It's refreshing to see a young person, that has REAL interests, and just play, or gaming. Thank you.

• Good take. But I'd say find a better place to discuss politics at, maybe GaG isn't the best place for that.

• You are very smart.

• Good take

• 5d

A 16 year old that likes politics is a god send in this world of youthful ignorance

• Good Take.

• Well done sister. A good read.

• 7d

TLDR follow your dreams kid!!

• 4d

Ambition Has An Age Restriction

• 3d

To you maybe, but to me, it does not.

• 3d

Ambition Has An Age Restriction to everyone who isn't privileged and to those who aren't blessed with winning the genetic lottery

• 6d

Good take

• 6d

Good take keep at it.

• 5d

"Youmight ofvoted for Trump." Great grammar 😂. Do all non-Trump voters have poor English skills? 😂😂😂😂😂

• 5d

Well, I'm a non-Trump voter. Do I have poor English?"

• 5d

That is because of my keyboard. The quotation is next to the question mark, I happened to be typing fastly. I can pull up a number of Trump supporters on here with shockingly poor spelling and grammar.

Even Trump himself confuses the word "origins" with "oranges".

• 5d

Ok... That's fair

• 7d

Thank God you're too young. You might of voted for Trump

• 6d

No never. I would never vote for Trump. Why would I?

• 5d

It's rather rude to assume because of somebody's ethnicity they may vote a certain person- ethnicity has nothing to do with beliefs. Please don't do that again.

• 5d

We live in America. American is a very racist country and it brings the monster in us

• 7d

You can be an writer that’s for sure to me!

• I wish if i can be like you, the only pen that i have is my pen*s haha and it writes only with a white color LOL