In Defense of Pro-Choice

In Defense of Pro-Choice

Lately discussions regarding abortion laws have been on the rise and I have gotten quite tired of having to explain the same thing to people over and over again so I decided to share a MyTake in which I wish to adress the most common arguments used by those who claim to be Pro-Life (often confused with Anti-abortion). It has been greatly inspired by another wonderful woman who also supports women's rights to choose.

1. Just keep your legs closed.

A poor choice of words. I believe what you meant is: Don't have sex.

SEX. IS. NOT. A. CRIME. Sex is natural and awesome. It is fun and has multiple heath benefits in addition to being a wonderful form of intimacy and connection between people.

Sex is not a privilage reserved only for those who wish to reproduce. It is not inherently wrong or bad. It does not require a punishment and certainly not that of a forced pregnancy (Considering that is a crime against humanity, as recognised by the UN).

Pregnancy is a risk of having sex. Just like wrecking your car is a risk when you drive. Just like breaking a limb is a risk when you go hiking. Just like drowning is a risk when you swim.

We allow people to receive healthcare for all of those situations, despite the risk they took on themselves. We do NOT deny people healthcare based on how they came to need it.

2. Use a condom or birth control! Or both! Tie your tubes! Plan B!

If you have received even the most basic kind of sexual education you would know that not one form of birth control is fool proof. Not one. Not even when doubled.

Hysterectomies and tube tying are irreversible therefore they are not performed just like that. You have to meet certain criteria, which usually includes being around 30 years old and already having children. Also, plenty of people who are not yet ready to become parents might want to have kids in the future. (Not even mentioning that people should not have to undergo surgery, take time off work for recovery time, lose wages, all because some people get their panties in a wad over abortion.

Not everyone can even physically use protection. There are plenty of allergies to condoms, bad reactions to the pill and conflicts with pre existing necessary medications for illnesses that make dual use dangerous.

People are allowed to have unprotected sex and they are allowed to abort.

3. Well, you have to take responsibility, your body isn't just yours anymore, that *child* deserves a chance.

No. We don't. Taking responsibility for our choices means making the best decision to fix the undesirable situation.

Our responsibility is to ourselves first and foremost. It is OUR body being used as an incubator, it is OUR bodily resources being used to sustain potential life, it is OUR health potentially or immediately at risk, it is OUR entire lives and bodies that will be impacted by pregnancy and birth, let alone raising a child.

Whether you say the fetus is or is not a part of our body - you lose. If it is NOT part of our body then it has no place being inside of, attached to and taking from OUR bodies without our consent. If it IS part of our body, we are in charge of what we do with it and whether we want it there or not.

4. Anything related to "God" and in terms of using it for judgement and condemnation

Your God is violently pro-abortion.

Your God has slaughtered first borns, commanded dashing children against stoned till they die, ripping fetuses from their mothers' wombs, and even providing an abortion potion to a man because he suspected his wife of infidelity. Part TWO of this - your God has no place in healthcare. Your God is not everyones' God.

5. Abortion is murder! Youŗe all killers!

Actually no. Law, science and medicine disagrees. You can have your opinion, but your opinion is wrong if it is against facts. A fetus is nothing but a clump of cells incapable of thought or feeling, it is not even capable of pain until 18 weeks. Life does not start at conception, life is a continuous process that changes form and just because two gametes happened to meet at the right time does not mean they have some universal rights to become a human being.

6. You are so selfish! Think of all the infertile couples and other people who can''t have babies! Just give it to a family to love them! Give it up for adoption!

No. Hell no. That is a viable option for someone willing to go through pregnancy and childbirth. Plenty of people are NOT willing. Fertile people's uteruses are not fetus factories for infertile couples. Their issues are no one else's burden.

Side note: Being selfish is also NOR. A CRIME. We can be as selfish as we want with our own bodies because they're ours.

7. What if your mother aborted you? Be thankful she was pro-life!

She isn't pro life. My mother and many mothers are pro-choice. If my mother had aborted me, I never would have been sentient to know or care or be aware. Person known as me wouldn't even exist.

I would NEVER have wanted my mother to only keep me out of obligation. I would NEVER want to have been FORCED on my mother. I am infinately thankful that she CHOSE to have me out of love. Not obligation. Life is a gift and no gift should be forced to be given, how else could we appreciate the chance at life we have been given. And we both fight for and defend abortion access and reproductive rights of women!

8) It should only be allowed due to rape and health issues!

Says who? You? What authority do you have to tell people what they can and can not do? You are now trying to dictate which potential life is worthy and which isn't. If the pregnant person doesn't get to choose for themselves, the fuck makes you think you do? Being raped is not some magic thing that grants us pity-choice of being granted control of our bodies. There is nothing different except for you anti-choicers thinking you are the judge and jury presiding over other people's healthcare decisions.

9. What about the father's rights!?

Maybe, just maybe, if dudes are SO concerned with their potential offspring, they should take the proactive approach and NOT sleep with someone who does not want to be pregnant and who would abort! 😮 Crazy, I know! But, his rights end where her body begins. Thay can talk about their feelings, they can discuss both sides, but it comes down to the pregnant person to make the choice, end of it.

In conclusion: I get that abortion is not for everyone, same as children. So we all would be better off just minding our own business. Don't like abortions? Don't have one. It's that easy.

Peace. ✌

In Defense of Pro-Choice
16
7

Most Helpful Guy

• John_Doesnt

Nobody should have the authority to force their morals onto somebody. If people disagree with abortion that's fine, but they shouldn't make it illegal for other women to do it.
    Just like I disagree with some things women do with their bodies, but I'm not gonna pass laws against it.

• morimeme1

Exactly!!! So many people fail to understand this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

715
  • nightdrot

The British statesman and political philosopher Edmund Burke wrote, "The effect of liberty to individuals is that they may do as they please. We ought see what it will please them to do before we risk congratulations." Therein lay the problem with laws that permit abortion on demand.

A society that premises its law as "Choice"- to use the locution of abortion rights advocates - effectively leaves open the question of the value of human life. It becomes not a standing principle, but a subjective judgment to each individual. In such a society, human life becomes not an end in itself, but mere instrument. Life becomes not an object whose preservation is the highest standard, but rather a convenience to be maintained or not according to the satisfaction of another's will.

We shape our laws and then our laws shape us - see also the civil rights laws of the 1960s which have effected a revolution in race relations. (The idea that a black man and a white man cannot sit together at the same lunch counter is as alien to this generation as Neptune. Yet in 1965 it was pretty much the norm.)

Inherent then in the pro-choice argument is the idea that life has no value save that which each person chooses to attach to it. It denies society any authority to make a collective judgment on such questions. Therefore, in this view, the law may not afford protection to life except at some arbitrarily defined (and inherently subjective) point.

This then conduces to an assertion of power over rights. Life is maintained not as its own end, but according to the will of the person who, effectively, controls it because they can. An ethic of convenience is established and it is a slippery slope on which to build a culture and a legal edifice.

Such a society will not value life that sees life as not an end, but as a means to some other end. Indeed, that is why at about the same time as the culture began to shift on the abortion question we also saw a rise in child abuse, spousal abuse, divorce, out of wedlock births and other social pathologies. These were not unrelated phenomena.

Aristotle said that the first questions of politics are, "How ought we to live? What kind of a people do we wish to be?" The implicit answer of those who support abortion on demand is, in effect, that it is nobody's business. Predictable results follow. One cannot expect the society to absent itself from collective moral judgments on the value of life and then expect an ethical social order to result.

• morimeme1

If abortions are to be banned way more unplanned, unloved children will grow up in abusive families and povery, I do not see how this would ever benefit society as a whole, just bring more crime and illiteracy to it. It is not as much a subjective judgement of value as it is an evaluation of ability to bring up a wholesome member of society under normal conditions and not destroy the life of another, already functioning member. The debate of when life actually starts will never cease to exist as it is also a matter of subjective judgement.

• morimeme1

Yeah, whatever you wish to believe, I just believe in humanity and it has become apparent that we are world's apart on that. Have a good rest of your life.

• nightdrot

Well, world's apart we may be, but by your own logic, your argument no longer matters. That said, enjoy your life of existential irrelevance.

Cheers!

• Grobmate

1. "SEX. IS. NOT. A. CRIME. Sex is natural and awesome. It is fun and has multiple heath benefits in addition to being a wonderful form of intimacy and connection between people."

Using firearms is also fun. Most fun things come with responsibility as do all rights.

Conception is natural too. And because both parties were irresponsible.. naturally it happened.

"(Considering that is a crime against humanity, as recognised by the UN)"

Crimes against children are. I suggest acquainting yourself with the UN Convention of the Rights of the Child, which have several articles which are directly against abortion. Since you wish use the UN as an agreed source of authority.

2. If you have received even the most basic kind of sexual education you would know that not one form of birth control is fool proof. Not one. Not even when doubled.

The amount of contraception failure compared to success is so minuscule that this is totally invalid. Lowering the risk of conception is indeed doubled and tripled by the number of birth control measures employed. Go and study the reason model. The same cause analysis identifies irresponsible intercourse as a root cause.

3. No. We don't. Taking responsibility for our choices means making the best decision to fix the undesirable situation.

No. Prevention and proactive steps are always better than recovery controls. This is an irresponsible stance right here.

4. Your God is violently pro-abortion.

I don't believe in the existence of Gods. Biblical and religious arguments are fruitless because they assume that everybody recognises the same point of authority. This is known as a nebulous argument.

5. "A fetus is nothing but a clump of cells incapable of thought or feeling, it is not even capable of pain until 18 weeks."

Pain is not a requirement to qualify as life.

6. "No. Hell no. That is a viable option for someone willing to go through pregnancy and childbirth"

A more viable option would also be to take responsibility in the first place and prevent pregnancy. The only time this isn't the case is rape.

7. This a stupid argument from Pro-life people and is again a nebulous argument. If our arses were pointy, we could shit in bottles and save the environment but they aren't.

8. "You are now trying to dictate which potential life is worthy and which isn't."

No. The UN rights of the child are clear on this. We aren't dictating anything about potential life, but actual life.

9. "Maybe, just maybe, if dudes are SO concerned with their potential offspring, they should take the proactive approach and NOT sleep with someone who does not want to be pregnant and who would abort! Crazy"

Actually unless it is rape, both people make a decision on whether or not to have intercourse. Both people should also decide prior to intercourse whether they want children. In any case both have a responsibility to prevent conception via birth control.

I don't have a right to tell Women what to do with their bodies. Society does and hence it has laws. The government passes laws by democratic process by persons of responsibility elected by the populous.

If you don't agree with the laws of that society, nobody is forcing you to stay in it against your will.

The idea that sex is purely transactional and free of consequences is a modern one, and in my opinion a stupid one at that.

If it were transactional, it would not require consent now would it. And if it is, it would require a contract of consent or a memorandum of understanding between both parties. Luckily the inmates running the asylum have not progressed thing that far to appease the subjective sensibilities of the irresponsible.

• Grobmate

Error Correction for clarity

If it were transactional, it would not require consent now would it. And if it isn't, it would require a contract of consent or a memorandum of understanding between both parties. Luckily the inmates running the asylum have not progressed things that far to appease the subjective sensibilities of the irresponsible.

• morimeme1

Just to be clear, I personally do not support the irresponsible use of abortion as a birth control method but since if you happen to get pregnant even on birth control it would be impossible to separate those who just were unlucky from those who brought it on themselves so it seemed unfair to allow one abortion over the other, same as in rape cases as the biggest argument of those "pro-life" is about how every life is precious and it would just be hypocritical at least coming from them. Plus people who are just that dumb should not even be parents in my opinion. Abortion is also a form of taking responsibility because it too leaves a lasting emotional impact and sometimes physical too as many women are left unable to have children later. Yes it is a potential life as it yet has no conscious existence and might prove to not be viable to even be born alive later on.

• MittenstheGlove

This was an excellent MyTake 9. Is the final cop out. If you care about that, you should have in-depth conversation with a partner or potential partner. Find someone else, because you had the choice to pursue her at the end of the day.

• JayParris

So if a woman is living in a man's house and he wants her gone, can he kill her? His house, his choice.

Let's say she doesn't have a job, can't survive on her own, and doesn't have any friends or family, and I want her gone NOW. Can I kill her? I'll make it humane.

• morimeme1

By law she is a grown capable woman that can make input if she wished to do so, she has feelings, thoughts, emotions and values her own life (and it was your choice to let her in your house, you can kick her out as well, same as abortion but kicking out is different, she doesn't die from it because she isn't actually that dependant on you) therefore recognised as a whole person and is protected from unnecessary murder. You are not forced by the law to take care of her further if you want her gone from your house right? :)

• I think this is a bad faith comparison. No one ever is given a fair chance. You can’t just tell a fetus I’m aborting you and that be it.

This is a very unique situation and unfortunately there are no equivalency for this.

I think, though I should thank you for this though provocation. It helps later in real life situations.

• JayParris

@MittenstheGlove is not a perfect analogy, but I hoped it would spark some thought.

• kelsey_disney

Great take! What’s sad is that it’s only straight white males trying to take away our rights. They shouldn’t control our bodies. Times up

• blythely

So many logical fallacies

• morimeme1

So men deserve to live a good, fulfilling interesting life while women just live to be pregnant. Wow. Really wow, never thought I would meet someone from the dark ages nowadays.

• @blythely She is a little rich girl living in a fantasy world trying to get even with her parents because they were strict. Rebellion is common for know it all little rich girls.

• Zorax

Excellent Take, I agree 100%, and I know that the truth always bothers the right-wing extremists and religious freaks, that's why they are whining all the time ;)

• Alpha09

Well said! The best mytake on the subject I've read by far.

• The best take that deserves to kiss my a*s beta girl 🤣

• You are not hard to impress then

• You described yourself to a T. Bubble Girl

• Naydyonov

1. Just keep your legs closed.

Sex is natural — yes. Hunger is natural — yes. And yet we control hunger by working efficiently in order to stop ourselves from being hungry. Equally we can control our sex. A good percentage of abortions are done by women who simply did not care to use contraception. At the same time not many people deny themselves food. Food > Sex. Thus, there are natural needs more important than sex. Equally, if healthy people can control their food intake then they can do the same with sex. Obese people can eat themselves to death, as long as I don't have to pay for them. However, when their obesity effects my wallet, then I have a direct say.
    As pregnancy entails the formation of a new person, it automatically effects other people. (That's the point of society: collective action to help ourselves and others)

In essence: do what you want as long as it only entails you; when it involves other people, others also have a say.

Bonus example: societal protection for victims of child/spousal abuse. We try to protect kids from shitty parents, despite the child being theirs. Why? Because we feel we have a responsibility to do so. It does not matter who the child is, just because it is not ours doesn't mean we cannot have a say in how that child is treated.

«Pregnancy is a risk of having sex. Just like wrecking your car is a risk when you drive. Just like breaking a limb is a risk when you go hiking. Just like drowning is a risk when you swim.»

Literally no. Driving is meant to take you from Point A to Point B. Swimming: Point A to Point B. Hiking: Point A to Point B plus views. Not of these were created to get a person killed or injured.
    Sex? Sex: Creation of children.
    Sex is meant to produce offspring. Enjoyment of it allows us to desire it.
    Creating children through sex is the same thing as driving a car: Point A to Point B.

On a physical level we mostly attain enjoyment because we satisfy biological needs. Eating is enjoyable because the food tastes good; food keeps us alive. Drinking is enjoyable because is refreshes us; water keeps us alive. Sex keeps the species alive. Only way to do that is by having women be impregnated through sex.

• morimeme1

Then how about we work on educating the masses more about the forms of contraception and risks involved rather than just make abortion illegal which alone will only create more problems?

• morimeme1

Well yeah, it shouldn't be covered by insurance ir the goverment. Where I live it is up to 300€ per procedure. I am not excusing the irresponsible people but it's not like they are counting on abortion (it is a horrible experience both physically and mentally for the woman), it is more that everyone just thinks it won't happen to them so they opt for the pull&prey method (because "condoms are uncomfortable", "pills mess with hormones and have side effects" and abstinence is just not an option, let's not lie to ourselves) and with that psychology abortion ban will not change their behaviour, just have bad consequences on society as a whole. If a woman has more than 1 abortion she is just not right in the head and should not create children at all.

• Naydyonov

"and abstinence is just not an option, let's not lie to ourselves"
      But it is. Last few centuries have shown that. People abstaining until marriage.

Plus, unlike food, sex is not an immediate need. You do not die from the lack of sex. Equally, unlike with food, self pleasure is a method to diminish the need. You cannot eat air to make your body think it doesn't need food.

" If a woman has more than 1 abortion she is just not right in the head and should not create children at all."
      When abortion is viewed as normal, moral, then it is completely possible for good women to go through with abortions. It is why our society views child abuse as damaging while another society sees nothing in it. The parent may be a good person who believes hitting a child and yelling at them is an effective method, simply because that's the accepted method of conduct.
      By showing them that there are other ways to deal with issues, many would likely start changing their behaviour.

It is why people change sides politically. Because they come to understand that their views are incorrect or immoral and so they switch over to the other side.
      Example: during the Hungarian revolution many Soviet troops were reluctant to take action against the protesters. Equally, there were reports that some of them were switching onto the sides of the Hungarians.
      Not only that, but Soviet POW from Afghanistan, being housed in Switzerland, pleaded to let them stay there and live there.

Because they may have gone into Hungary with the belief of International Communism but gotten out of there with the belief of self-determination for nations. Both before and after the person is equally as good or as bad by their nature. They simply come to understand that their held beliefs were wrong.

• Ava01

They only car bout The the unborn but when there born your on own. Until they reach military age. Also lot of this people don’t do anything about the school shootings.

• morimeme1

Most of these people don't do ANYTHING except just spout their "opinion" and judge others.

• Ava01

Exactly

• Pineapple_Boy

#5 is total BS and the stupidest justification/ argument for abortion even tho I'm in support of abortion.

• morimeme1

I do not see a problem there, I realise that the strenght of the argument will be evaluated by different people differently and you have a right to have an opinion of course.

• jacquesvol

In Defense of Pro-Choice

• Deathraider

Also philosophically, what makes a person a Person?

• morimeme1

That is a very old question that many philosophers have tackled, often the conclusion they come to are along the lines of: a being capable of evaluating his/her own life; a being that is capable of inducing compassion in others; a being who is capable of convincing others he/she has value. But obviously all of them have their own exceptions and indescrepancies so it only leaves us with personal subjective opinion which in this debate greatly varies from person to person.

• morimeme1

Just the law is against it, that is the only thing in our way :)

• Anarchy is the new law established!!!

🔪”Now give me your wallet!”

• Poormanscomedian

Laws are a code based on morals. according to what you are saying.
    Murder is ok, robbing banks would be ok, who am I to say robbing banks are wrong? Getting drunk and hitting them with a car is ok, who am I to say that is wrong? If 90% of the population says that is wrong, who are they to say that? You lose this argument badly and sound like fool. The truth is more than 50% of population are now against Abortion. You can lie, you can deny this , but that is the fact. 81% is against abortion after 6 weeks. If you want to be a bad person and kill children you need to be in prison or death row. Too bad you don't have any morals and don't know what is wrong or right. Again, that is what Prison is for. People like you and it is full of people like you.

• zagor

Sorry Bud, but robbing banks, murder, etc. is taking something away from someone else. Abortion is terminating a living creature that exists solely by taking sustenance from your body. A being that can't live with the assistance of literally anyone else other than the body it is embedded in. A being that has no conscious existence.

• jacquesvol

@no insult sttandard answer to people who don't make the difference between zygote, fetus and baby

• jacquesvol

@morimeme1

• HereIbe

Let's just make infanticide legal up to the second year after birth.

• MackToday

The slow loss of abortion rights due to right wing fanatics forcing their word view on you. Sucks doesn't it? This is what happens when you push a far left agenda, riot in the streets, wave the hammer and sickle around. Rant about killing people all over the internet, attack free speech, gun rights. People become afraid of you and start supporting the other side. Then the other side starts doing shit like this. Get fitted for your Nazi uniform next if this gets further out of control. Don't say enough people didn't warn you of what could happen to zee if zee kept at it.

• blythely

What is a right?

• morimeme1

This is the top1 weird combination of random words and incorrect statements I have read this month probably, and that says a lot knowing this site.

• esotericstory

If you are pro choice for women you must also be pro choice for men. Men dont even have a right to their own foreskin. Pro choice people dont get a single shred of sympathy from me even though I agree with some forms of abortion.

• morimeme1

I am pro-choice for men, even though losing your foreskin is nothing in comparisulon to creating a life that you have to care for.

• I am not prolife as I already said.

• If you are pro choice you must be pro choice all the way, otherwise you are just pro-abortion.

• Goodwifie

I had a terrible time with my first pregnancy, this is an understatement.
    I don't think any woman should be forced to carry a unwanted pregnancy, it should only be done with love involved.

• buttcrackjoe

Murder happens every day. Whats one more to add to the pot? I say go for it.

• BasicGirl

I agree with this but an argument for prolife would be that it’s not controlling women’s bodies, it’s telling doctors that they can’t do something

• morimeme1

Well, not exactly, doctors can't do a lot of things but offering this procedure is just a medium through which women get to do it safely. In case of Georgia and Alabama womes will face severe consequences for attempting to induce miscarriage themselves or even leaving the state to get an abortion elsewhere.

• Secretgardenblood

Good take...

• Ellie-V

Whew Chile!!!

In a nutshell,... amen 😇

• Rocky143143143

Yaa u right