Destructive influence of social media, a programmed life and your place in it.

I feel that people have become enslaved to technology on a scale that never existed before. Seeing the way people interact with each other in their day to day lives makes me pine for the days where people actually talked to each other without the aid of an electronic safety net.

Seeing how people fall so easily for things magnifies the problem even further.

The way people don't ask questions or lack basic insight into their lives concerns me.

Take a deep dive.

"Once they've got your perception, they've got you."

"We are antennae"

"I genuinely love the process of manipulating people online for money."

"You have more data than any entity in the world"

"Who will govern this new world?"

I thought I'd need to write more but after reviewing all the information in these videos, I don't think I need to.

"Stay frosty."

7
5

Most Helpful Guy

• Creepazoid
    100%. It's to bad too many are just sheep who follow the herd. Parroting whatever they hear and see online/media, not able to have a thought of their own, unable to analyze and see the bigger picture of things. It's always just instant gratification for most people seeking approval whenever they can find it unaware of their own echo chambers that they've created. Most are no longer their own person, nothing unique at all bout some of these people. But who am I, I've fallen victim to G@G myself twice now. At least it doesn't consume who I am as a person - i think.
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girl

• FlutteringFeelings
    The thing is, social media was created to make us addicted to it. The quicker people understand that social media is just a business for the main creator of the app the more they will cherish their time instead of trying to live off an app. Especially Instagram.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

64
  • AmandaYVR
    Well, preaching to the choir here. You and I are the same age and we have experienced life before and after this wonderous technology. We are the last generation to be in this position. But the future is shaped often by the youth. And they think we are just old fogies who don't know what it is to live in this day and age. However they would be naive. As much as the internet is available to learn and research and understand past history and gain another perspective, only a small portion of the time on it is being spent this way. And most people are content to consume content, not produce. Thus the millions of bits and bytes, sound and fury, saying (mostly) nothing. Ah well, what can we do. 'Tis the future.

I could write pages and pages about this, and I have cumulatively, but not today, I think. It feels too much sometimes. But am I worried? More than can be explained.
    The 'dumbening' of society... are you worried?
  • Mezius
    How about I present you with a counter argument and we make this a debate. Im tired of only hearing the cons of technology. Yes, there's a lot of people hooked on the internet, and for good reason. Instead connecting to a small dull portion of people and friends, you're connected to the whole world. I argue we don't utilize this power enough. Especially for introverts, the internet helps people connect to a bigger broader range of people from around the world. It gives us the power to connect and communicate with people we wouldn't ordinarily have the opportunity to talk to. It gives us the option to choose who we want to socialize with, and allows more freedom to be yourself. There's a reason why people are choosing internet over standard social interaction. Most people offline don't always share similar interests, there's higher risk of shame and embarrassment talking to people in person, and conversations in person are often dull and monotonous. You can't share links, pictures, videos, or emojis in real life. It's just a more fun and interesting way to communicate. Also most people in real life suck, and a lot of them only care about you for looks, or money.
    • October808

How about this counter argument and we DO debate. I'm tired of only hearing apologists. Yes, there' are a lot of people hooked on the internet, and not for a good reason. Instead of connecting to interesting people locally people and GOOD friends, you're connected to the whole world and a lot of boring, dull, uninteresting and dishonest people. I argue that you utilize this power too much. Especially for introverts, the internet helps people disconnect from healthy relations. It takes away your power to connect and communicate with people you have the opportunity to talk to face to face. It gives you the illusion that you get to choose who you want to socialize with, and allows freedom not to be genuine. There's a reason why people are choosing internet over standard social interaction. Yeah it's called addiction to a fake life. Most people offline don't always share... bla blah. Suck it up buttercup, that's life. Deal with it or check out. You can't share links, pictures, videos, or emojis in real life./ No in real life you can share actual photos and videos IN PERSON. Wow!, what a concept. Also most people in real life suck, and a lot of them only care about you for looks, or money. And the internet care about you how? People in real life don't suck, you just suck at interacting with real people.

Over to you.

• razelove
    The funny thing is asking about how addictive social media is with damn near an hour of videos hosted on a social media video platform and on a social media site, albeit one for men and women to openly ask questions to each other across gender, race, and age gaps.
  • PerfectionistMe
    Believe it or not, I am trying to post a reply to this for third time and every time I write smth negative to agree on you, screen blacks out and it gets me out to the intro page of gag.
    • I know those all conspiracy theories. I've noticed my phone acting funny.

• October808

Hm, I don't know, I just use the website version. Thanks for posting regardless.

• acooke-13
    I couldn't agree more with this!! Instagram especially, ruins the confidence of so many young people..
  • Sabretooth
    it's definitely more common... and worse-accepted since trump took office. here's an example-my uncle- man i've always thought highly of-condemned me for condemning trump for abandoning the kurds out of cowardice and greed... yet, at the same time-support and cheer as he attacks and harasses a 16 year old just because she was on the cover of time's person of the year... what the hell?
  • KittyMilk
    Easy way to control and watch us.. if I'm networking or creeping for some new pussy then yes.. otherwise it's useless and people looking for attention
  • themomo84
    Your place is where you decide it to be. Balance in all things
  • DeeDeeDeVour
    I totally agree with you.
  • KaraAyna
    Good take