Crawled out from poverty into the normal life - how long did it take for you?

Unit1

So me was penniless since elementary school. I would have loved it so much to eat Pretzels and drink chocolate milk or capri-sun for like 2 EUR in total and I was like 10 years old. Especially at that time growing up food and hydration is vital for school performance. But that didn't happen. When I asked my parents for money so I can buy something to eat and drink in school I almost always got the same response "We have no money". Over time as I got the same response over and over again so I stopped asking altogether because it's futile. All that while the other kids got new clothes, phones, clocks, shoes, perfume, you name it. I didn't have any of that.

And so was born my "greed" and the never-ending obsession over money and my focus never leaving the money. You know what they say: Old habits die hard.

Fast forward 16 years later. I make my own money. My expenses (rent, bills, food, shopping, a few hobbies) are well below my salary. 16 years it took for me to crawl out of poverty into a milestone, that is a literal living standard in Europe/America. 16 years to break a tremendously annoying cycle, that is much easier to get into than out of. But you can't blame me because money gave me what the family could not and even much more than just necessities and resolving my medical conditions.

I'm about to collect a lot of hate and disagreements with the following but I subscribe to Solomon's philosophy about money (i'll get there in a moment). I'll explain with a real world practice:

Girls, that aren't gold diggers keep insisting, that money isn't what attracts them to men or their boyfriend, husband, whatsoever. As they say it's something other than the money. These criteria have been mentioned more than enough to go through them all (including but not limited to looks, confidence, being fun and making her laugh, how he pulls his own weight in life, muscles, intelligence...).

But the truth is the following:

Dating wise the penniless 18 year old me would be no match for the 18 year old Alexander, whose parents are middle class.

You see our hypothetical Alexander can afford adequate clothes, cologne, breath refreshing spray, a styled haircut and can pay for the girls ice cream and take her out and also some rubber.

The penniless 18 year old me was stuck with the same old outfit I went to school with, no money for new clothes or cologne or minty chewing gum or to groom myself or for some basic beauty products. Needless to mention not even being able to afford lemonade for myself. All I had was my pure devotion to make my own money and as much of it as I can so that I can end this madness of pennilessness.

I don't blame anybody here but you can clearly see, that money enables it all. Therefore as Solomon has said:

I'd like to see that written on my gravestone.

16
41
16Girl Opinion
41Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guys

• dangerDoge

I'm glad you were able to get to where you're at now. I bet it'll only be up from here too!

For me, my parents honestly just got real lucky investing a good amount of stock into a very big company now that was super small when they invested. That changed their lifestyle and ultimately mine as well from that. The biggest benefit of that for me was mainly help paying for college. They also invested in bonds when I was little that matured over time and now are worth a great deal of money for me. I have no debts, and I'm extremely appreciative of it. Frankly, from a financial perspective alone, I'm likely worth more than most people my age, but I know that things could easily change, and I try to make smart financial decisions. I think them coming originally from pretty humble backgrounds (e. g. my dad was a son of a large farm family) helped them stay frugal with money, and it influenced me too.

While I didn't ultimately use my college degree directly, having a diploma landed me another job training into software development, where I'm at now. Now I have a good career path, I'm independent, and software development pays well (with concrete salary I've heard).

I don't really know where I'd have been without parental support that I had. Without having the diploma, things would have been likely quite a different case for me. It really puts things into a new perspective thinking that if things were just a little different, I'd be likely really struggling right now. I probably wouldn't have the computer / gear I'm using, and I'd have stress of debt on my mind.

Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?
    • Unit1

Yes. Count your blessings buddy. I do not wish what I've been through to anybody... although I'd like to trade my horrible past with those folks, whose mother went out and contributed financially (and they complain about it. The kind of problems they were describing sounds ridiculous to me). Maybe they'll enjoy having an abusive housewife mother, that doesn't really feed them (whereas the working mother went out, brought in the dough and made sure the kids are fed).

• KrakenAttackin

Money can't buy happiness? Tell that to someone who has no fucking money.

Like 8 People
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

1639
  • Puppystarfish23

My mum came from a already wealthy family but that doesn't mean she got a single penny of it and from what she told me my grandmother made her clothes from old curtains, physically and mentally abused her and wasn't the best cook either. Just because someone is from a wealthy family doesn't necessarily mean that they get to see the site of it.

My dad's family were extremely poor and his dad wasn't always the best he could be either to him or my late grandma god bless her soul but he never went without what he needed. He was loved and cared for just didn't have the luxury of Christmas presents some year's or the nicest clothes.

Bouth my parents were raised in the 70s and times were very different back then to what they are now.

Bouth my parents worked the arse off to get themselves out of a shitty situation and came across each other at the same time.

My parents said they lived of tinned beans and sat on when they first got there house and couldn't afford curtains either. From what I recall my dad barely got paid as he was working with my grandad and he was a difficult man to put it politely and my mum had no support from her parents and then when I was around four she got a second part time job at a supermarket to support us all.

My parents made smart choices with there money and sacrificed a lot of their livelihood so me and my sister's could have the childhood they didn't. They didn't go out for dinners and buy expensive clothes. my mum said she was buying nappies from Dina discounts and using duck tape to keep them together. As time got on my parents saved and carried on working hard. My grandad died leaving my dad his business and inheritance. We were starting to go on nicer hoildays abroad and my parents always made sure we were well cultured.

I never realised how poor we were as a family till we got richer when me and my sister's started to work and we could afford a much bigger, nicer house and car.

My parents always gave me and my sister's everything we needed and were amazing at raising us given the fact they were under a lot of pressure working hard providing for us. We never went without.

My oldest sister is now the first in my family to graduate from university with a degree in business administration and me and my other sister work reasonably good paying jobs too.

Just because you come from nothing doesn't mean you'll achieve nothing. Work hard, keep your head down, make sacrifices and you'll get there eventually

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • ChrisMaster69

Partially agree, the bit about money and dating is used as an excuse a lot of the time.

if you have no moment, aka poor then you cannot really date outside your socio economic group, as in the person making the first move (yes will be exceptions).

however you can date within it without any problems, poor people, date, marry, have kids, enjoy life.

right that’s out of the way.

when I grew up we could not afford a car, or holidays as such. Keeping up with fashions was never an option, having new stuff was hard, free school meals etc.

that was then, the now is different, I have a decent property portfolio, a good job as a technology product director at a major tech company, 3 cars etc. I am able to send my daughter to a quite expensive public school and her university costs are already in place if she decides to do it.
    when I eventually pop my clogs, she will be the sole beneficiary of my various investments and properties bar two (sister and ex wife).

having money, is not about having money for yourself, it’s how you use it to add happiness to others.

LikeDisagree 2 People
    Reply
  • VanillaSalt

It’s easy not to be poor in America. Find a factory job. Be on time. Work every hour you can. Don’t be frivolous.

You don’t wanna work too much? If you’re working under 40 hours a week you’re failing yourself. 40 hours while in school or working a side gig. When I started this job I was burnt the fuck out. A year straight off 12 hour shifts 7 days a week with a day off every 2 weeks at most. Now if I have a week of work I’m like when can I go back! I look forward to them big paychecks.

A woman can marry into money. Beauty is the best early return on investment. But men have to establish themselves. You work long hours doing hard jobs making shit money... then after years of doing it you move up to the next position or a better company. I work for okay pay but the experience opens me to new better positions... from this job I’ve learned to drive a forklift, weld, electrical, I can drive large machines because of our front end loader, I have solid work history showing years of putting in the hours for my job...

Investments to keep you from being poor come in more than job and money though. To touch on beauty again. It’s not the same return for men as women but a man needs to keep fit. Sometimes it’s not enough to be capable if people don’t think you look capable... others views of you are very important to remain valuable. This gets you access to jobs and services you normally wouldn’t have.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
    • @VanillaSalt. If you can get that factory job, than I agree. I remember times when I couldn't even get a job bussing tables.

• Ryfyle

Clearly you were doing "poor" wrong. I've got pretty far in life on like half the ass you put in, and from the looks of it you got taken for a ride. Sounds like you're getting 15 from a 25 per hour job.

• @krakenattack you have to go looking for these jobs they rarely reward anyone that don’t walk in in person. Every large city has that one street that’s nothing but factories... you apply at these jobs you’ll find something.

@Ryfyle see this here is the problem... this sense of entitlement. I’m not struggling. I unlike many today never stopped working because of COVID. So what if my hourly is low. As I said I get paid in valuable skills and a work history that guarantees me my next job. I got a 401k and healthcare. I support myself and but what ever when ever... could I get paid more yes but I’m doing very well and only an idiot wouldn’t be grateful for my job.

• RedSauce

That first picture - they are so poor that their debts and general state of poverty are being handed down to the next generation, but they still decided to have two kids

Like 1 Person
    Reply
    • Unit1

You mean the 2. nd picture.
      But yes, correct. I find that the rich tend to not have kids (or as many) and the poor breeding like rabbits and continue this viscous cycle.

• AnggieGirl

Me too. Left home at 14yrs old, there was abuse and neglect and no one would report my parents to family services, I even called them for help and was somehow called a troublemaker. So I ran away. Now I'm 33 and finally got it comfortable, establish and definitely moving forward.

Good for you man. It's not easy and leaves us sometimes in a continuous state of "I must keep going". Sometimes shut off from the need to establish relationships because it may steer you off track. Either way, congratulations to you 🎉

Like 6 People
    Reply
    • Every Christmas and Thanksgiving I buy hams and turkeys out of my own pocket and give them to families.

• Unit1

Nice. Good to know I'm not the only one, who abandoned their abusive and neglectful family. I don't even talk to them anymore. Too busy making money and sleeping and relocating further away from them 😜

The sad thing however is that for me life has "started" just recently. Until then I was a puppet or a slave.

• Pogi-Paddy

Crawled out of poverty? Is this a joke? I have been poor my entire life and every time I get a leg up, things change like rent goes up but my pay stays that same. So if you are somewhere that you've been able to do this, then I give you kudos. ☯️

Like 1 Person
    Reply
    • Unit1

It's a never ending battle. But if you don't keep up, you'll not be moving.

• lucyloo76

Never been there.
    My parents were hard working.
    Dad in steel and mum was a cleaner at school.
    I left school with good marks ,
    Got me into a Accountancy firm. Which played very well. Got offered a job to do the of a firm.
    The bosses son fancied me got married Had a daughter , he was cheating a lot. So we divorced, even with the prenup I came ok.
    Strange now, I work in the same school mother use to work and went as a student.
    I give out school dinnersI enjoy doing it.

Like 2 People
    Reply
  • coachTanthony

Good for you man! Continue to grow and keep rocking it. Check out this video about money. I think you will enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/FHqa6PsmKW8
    LikeDisagree 3 People
    Reply
  • aliali8

All it took me was a lifetime of education. I got my first 50k job when i was 23. I spent 5 grueling years in college.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
    • Unit1

Wow. Well, good thing you pulled through. I did it with 6 years of Education. Still need a masters degree though.

• Redred56

That’s real nice with the money, but you might want to take a good VERY hard look
    at the dollars value to others. And ask yourself why is gold so strong and Bitcoin so
    strong? There values are going up. Take your cash and invest into gold and or Bitcoin.
    diversify your portfolio! Because the way Biden has written the first 1.9 trillion and now
    a 3 trillion Dollar stimulus package is on the table.
    this country does not have the ability to pay back such a loan.

LikeDisagree 2 People
    Reply
  • jamesgoldman

I knew more about the finances than any 8 years but I read then as numbers made me tick and realised quite how dire the situation was and that I didn't want the same so when my step-grandfather offered me a chance to make some money for myself I jumped at the chance and started hauling scrap metal out of skips and commerical bins
    Fast forward a decade and I'd say I was there given I owed nothing and had a few grand at my disposal

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • TheSpaceGnome

You are delusional, a lot of old poor ugly people are happily married, in fact I would say that accounts for most marriages.

Secondly, most people date/marry based on personality/interests/hobbies/looks, not incomes.

Nearly all relationships founded on money or looks alone dissolve.

Money is a self care thing, it's something you do for yourself to get what you want and is largely independant of relationships outside of childcare or birthday/holiday gifts.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • Just_someone23

Me it was the other way around, mom and dad were rich, then when I hit about the age 15 they lost everything.

Went from having everything to standing in food lines

Like 2 People
    Reply
  • andreasderjuengere

Earn as much as you want.
    When shit hits the fan, I'll eat my vegetables myself, no matter how much 'you' offer me.
    My own 'normal' life was established after some ten years after finishing school.
    After another ca. 15 years I decided (for myself) that it takes a lot less than 'normal' to live a reasonable life.
    You mention ''greed'': I believe that 'wealth' should be morally justifiable. If no one is given a disadvantage through our struggles to become 'well-set', then I will tolerate (but still not admire) it.

LikeDisagree 3 People
    Reply
  • RingOfFire

A lot more people would be finding jobs and getting out of poverty if the government stopped paying people not to work. It's funny how many people who couldn't find jobs suddenly found them when the welfare rules changed and required you to work in order to get a check. After decades of mushrooming poverty and expansion of the welfare system, the number of people on welfare fell to a fraction of what it was almost immediately after they required you to work to get a check. Suddenly by some miracle all of these people who claimed they couldn't find jobs found them!

People do what you give them an incentive to do. No able bodied person should be able to collect money from taxpayers for more than a few months. Welfare is a scam on taxpayers and a tool of government to keep people in dependency on them. When you pay people not to work you destroy the economy and make people dependent on government instead of their own initiative. It is EVIL.

And the Biden administration is pumping up the welfare state full speed ahead. They removed the work requirements, are paying people not to work, and building an underclass of people in order to ensure they have to depend on government to survive.

65% of workers are now earning more on their unemployment checks than they earned from their jobs. You think they have an incentive to work? There are far more jobs available now than there are people out of work BECAUSE THEY ARE BEING INCENTIVIZED BY THE DEMOCRATS NOT TO WORK! Biden and the Democrats are creating a dependent welfare state that will be ruled by a one party dictatorship. This is exactly how that happens.

Disagree 3 People
    Reply
  • karaspara

I’m now walking rather than crawling but the battle continues

Like 2 People
    Reply
  • alice55

I'm 22, not working and don't have much money on my bank account but I live with my mother so I don't really have any living expensive usually.
    I don't mind not having money really.

Like 3 People
    Reply
    • you're a woman this pertains mostly to men as they are the ones that provide for women and house them

• DaveToo

@Tomtom9090 That, sir, is a 1950's misogynistic attitude. It went out when Reagan gave the rich a huge tax break, making them more greedy, and relegating the rest of us to poor status overnight. Women are, in many cases, the single breadwinner, even in a marriage.

• alice55

@Tomtom9090 I just responded to a question, I know men provide but some women (even if very fews) to like to make plenty of money.

• ObscuredBeyond

I've always been content with living somewhere in-between these extreme visuals. However, we have crooked politicians and morons who vote for them. And they're out to destroy the middle class.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • DaveToo

We were never money rich. I had a good home life although my dad died when I was 17. My mom owned her own insurance agency so she did okay for herself. After I lost dad I joined the Coast Guard. I had a full boat scholarship to Morrisville Tech but with the Vietnam war in full bloom, I had to decide if I wanted to kill people or save them. I chose to save them.
    After I mustered out I continued my college courses with my eyes set on a B/S in Economics. It took ten years of working two jobs, sometimes 3 to make ends meet, in order for me to get my degree.
    Another ten years to get an engineering degree. I'm certainly not rich but I have my home, my vehicle, and my hobbies. My wife of 21 years passed away from cancer at age 44 in 1988. I have never remarried although I've had a few that I thought might be "the second one", only to have them move along. Am I successful? In many ways I am, but in many ways, I feel I didn't succeed as monetarily as I would have liked.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
    • Unit1

I can relate a lot to this. Thanks for sharing your story.

• CowboyAceTre

Years. I got it of prison with a $100 check. I stayed in a homeless shelter for six weeks. Got a job while there, then got an apartment. Collected food stamps for the months before I could but my own food. Worked three jobs at once. Lived in the hood for a year. Finally had enough money for a car, moved to a small town. Worked for a civilian military job, and worked cattle. That's about when I'd consider myself along the blue color successful line. I'm now working on EMT-Advanced training, and expungement. I've also moved to another country, where my crimes in youth are non-existent by that country's laws. I plan on moving back to the US, after finalizing advanced certification, and becoming a medic there.

Like 2 People
    Reply
  • Show More (35)