Texans Can Now Drink Extra Early

Anonymous
True Story: King of the Hill is currently in negotiations to return to tv

A bunch of new laws are going into affect in Texas starting on Sept 1, and one of them garnering a lot of attention, is the relaxation of an old Blue State Law that has long forbid the selling of alcohol on Sundays before noon. I don't drink at all, so this has no effect on me, but I know some people who are like, THIS is awesome. Now, if you are totally confused because you don't know what a Blue State Law is, let me explain.

Texans Can Now Drink Extra Early

Blue State Laws "also known as Sunday laws, are laws that restrict or ban some or all Sunday activities, particularly to promote the observance of a day of rest. Blue laws may also restrict shopping or ban sale of certain items on specific days, most often on Sundays in the western world. Blue laws are enforced in parts of the United States and Canada as well as some European countries, particularly in Austria, Germany, Switzerland, and Norway, keeping most stores closed on Sundays."

In ye olden times, there were harsh punishments doled out to any who dared work on the Sabbath such as first offence, losing your monies for the week, second offense, losing your monies and being whipped, and third offense...death. There is a lot of death penalty in Texas, but not for breaking Blue State Laws.

Texans Can Now Drink Extra Early

What the alcohol ban means in modern day Texas, is that if you say had a party on a Sunday, and you needed cases of beer during a grocery run at 9am in the morning before the party started, the store would tell you no, or there would be signs posted letting you know they couldn't sell alcohol until noon, or some stores would even have their entire alcohol section shuttered or cordoned off so you couldn't even access it until after noon all in deference to the Christian notion that Sundays were for soul saving and worship that should be honored and respected without a beer anywhere in site via a store or hotel or distributer without special license.

Texans Can Now Drink Extra Early

Other blue state laws that still exist in Texas...Car dealerships (both new and used) must remain closed on Sunday or Saturday (the dealer can choose which). Dealerships don't really fight this one because a lot of employees enjoy having the guaranteed day off by law.

Well, turns out we as a state are now free to heathen it up at bit. Starting September 1, Texans can now buy alcohol starting at 10am--a full 2 hours earlier, on Sundays. I'm pretty sure we won't all be going to hell. For this....

Texans Can Now Drink Extra Early
10
3
3Girl Opinion
10Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guys

• Bluemax
    "free to heathen it up at bit"

Hilarious phrase! Ima use that one myself!

I visit Texas for Christmas every year. I used to live in Texas, Pantego to be specific. It's a bewildering checkerboard of blue laws. When I was a kid, in our country it was illegal to sell *any* alcohol. My friend who currently lives there has told me in her community, it is legal to sell certain alcohol (wine, I think) on Sundays, but not other types of alcohol. When I was a kid, it was illegal to sell *toys* on Sunday! This had no effect other than to confuse and irritate people, make them be sure to stock up on Saturday night, or drive to the next county or community to "heathen it up!" It sure as hell didn't serve to make Sundays more solemn (my mother saw to that in my family).

By the way, my friend whose family I visit every Christmas often jokes that they greet you when you deplane at DFW by saying, "Welcome to Texas! Here's a gun!" as they hand you a peacemaker.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Anonymous

Ha! Yeah, the Blue State Laws really are pointless, especially if you are not one to even believe in the first place. Since this country allegedly believes in freedom of religion, it seems counterintuitive that we had and still have laws that are attempting to somehow force this idea of the Christian plan to preserve our souls by "not buying a car on a Sunday." That makes perfect sense. I mean as you and the radio host who was putting this information out, said, "all the drinkers know that you already have a stash so you can start drinking at 8am."

• humpbackjack
    I lived in Texas forever ago and had to drive to whole other county to buy beer. It was lame. They had these warehouse type liquor stores that you pulled inside and handed them your list and popped your trunk they would put your booze in the trunk you’d pay and off you’d go. That was cool but Texans don’t like anyone that’s not from Texas
    Is this still revelant?
    • Anonymous

Maybe that's the people you hung out with that didn't like anyone else because that certainly isn't the case in my circle.

• Well I should say the men because I got along very well with the girls and maybe that’s why the guys started trouble but they usually referenced the state I was from or something to that effect. Also this was thirty years ago and I was tattooed and had long hair. So hopefully things have changed

• Anonymous

Well I mean if you were putting the smooth moves on their little ladies, that's a bit different then just straight out hating you, LOL! I think a lot of people just assume we're all just a bunch of boot wearing slack jawed yokels who sleep with our 12 gauge shot guns. Literally I went to Montana for a wedding and the brides aunt asked me if that's what life was like 'down there.' It's irritating. Most people wear Nike's, they will say hello to you on the morning jog, if you're not 'from round these parts, they won't treat you like a pariah, and are just chill. Every place has it's stereotyped people that really do exist, and outside the major cities, they are certainly out there, but you'll find those types in every state.

Most Helpful Girls

• Anonymous
    why texans are weird, hitman and conservative people. Lmfao
    Is this still revelant?
  • doopayo
    This is the most normal law Texas has passed in a while
    LikeDisagree 2 People
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

18
  • OlderAndWiser
    One particular problem with this post is that such laws are NOT called "blue state laws." They have always been called "blue laws." Calling them blue state laws implies some partisanship involved in such laws but most them were enacted long ago, before partisanship became a violent obsession.
  • dandee55
    As a Christian, I think that most (if not all) of these blue laws are silly.
    Now, I think it's fine when companies (like Chick Fil-a) want to be closed on Sundays, but it shouldn't be mandated by the state.
    Like 1 Person
    • Anonymous

I was reading some of the old blue state laws like "no sports, and you couldn't sell certain items at hardware stores,"...I mean working/not working, drinking/not drinking...neither are going to make you a good Christian. That is something that you work on for yourself. Add to that, just because you couldn't buy liquor before noon has never meant that those who went to church, didn't then go home, get drunk, and hit someone else with their car...just ask the police and EMS, so I mean what real purpose does it serve?

• dandee55

Good question. It's like the Pharisees that Jesus dealt with. They were hypocritical religious zealots.

• matchrestore
    My state (North Dakota) recently got rid of blue laws after multiple failed attempts. Ironically the biggest supporter of keeping the blue laws were the alcohol retailers associations. They figured they wouldn't sell much more product, but would all of the sudden need to staff an extra shift each week.
    • Anonymous

Ha, sometimes the so called solution creates more problems.

• OddBeMe
    And bring guns into bars. Texas is where it’s at, y’all!
  • msc545
    They probably NEED to drink early and often, given the politicians they have.
  • BlacklightShade
    Does the open carry law apply to alcohol too now?
    Like 1 Person
  • joeldalton
    Good for Texas.
  • Anonymous
    Thank God.

I hope that he smites you blue states
  • Anonymous
    They have machines thatTexans Can Now Drink Extra Early can do that