myReview 7 d

A few things I’ve recently learned about women’s rights that I think everyone should know

Subarugirl

The following list is of NINE things a woman couldn’t do in 1971 – yes the date is correct 1971. You can thank RBG.

In 1971 a woman could not:

1. Get a Credit Card in her own name – it wasn’t until 1974 that a law forced credit card companies to issue cards to women without their husband’s signature.

2. Be guaranteed that they wouldn’t be unceremoniously fired for the offense of getting pregnant – that changed with the Pregnancy Discrimination Act of 1978.

3. Serve on a jury - It varied by state (Utah deemed women fit for jury duty way back in 1879), but the main reason women were kept out of jury pools was that they were considered the center of the home, which was their primary responsibility as caregivers. They were also thought to be too fragile to hear the grisly details of crimes and too sympathetic by nature to be able to remain objective about those accused of offenses. In 1961, the Supreme Court unanimously upheld a Florida law that exempted women from serving on juries. It wasn't until 1973 that women could serve on juries in all 50 states.

4. Fight on the front lines – admitted into military academies in 1976 it wasn’t until 2013 that the military ban on women in combat was lifted. Prior to 1973 women were only allowed in the military as nurses or support staff.

5. Get an Ivy League education - Yale and Princeton didn't accept female students until 1969. Harvard didn't admit women until 1977 (when it merged with the all-female Radcliffe College). Brown (which merged with women's college Pembroke), Dartmouth and Columbia did not offer admission to women until 1971, 1972 and 1981, respectively. Other case-specific instances allowed some women to take certain classes at Ivy League institutions (such as Barnard women taking classes at Columbia), but by and large, women in the '60s who harbored Ivy League dreams had to put them on hold.

6. Take legal action against workplace sexual harassment. Indeed the first time a court recognized office sexual harassment as grounds for any legal action was in 1977.

7. Decide not to have sex if their husband wanted to – spousal rape wasn’t criminalized in all 50 states until 1993. Read that again...1993.

8. Obtain health insurance at the same monetary rate as a man. Sex discrimination wasn’t outlawed in health insurance until 2010 and today many, including sitting elected officials at the Federal level, feel women don’t mind paying a little more. Again, that date was 2010.

9. Also, take the birth control pill: Issues like reproductive freedom and a woman's right to decide when and whether to have children were only just beginning to be openly discussed in the 1960s. In 1957, the FDA approved of the birth control pill but only for "severe menstrual distress." In 1960, the pill was approved for use as a contraceptive. Even so, the pill was illegal in some states and could be prescribed only to married women for purposes of family planning, and not all pharmacies stocked it. Some of those opposed said oral contraceptives were immoral, promoted prostitution and were tantamount to abortion. It wasn't until several years later that birth control was approved for use by all women, regardless of marital status. In short, birth control meant a woman could complete her education, enter the work force and plan her own life.

Oh, and one more thing, prior to 1880, the age of consent for sex was set at 10 or 12 in more states, with the exception of our neighbor Delaware – where it was 7 YEARS OLD!

KNOW your HERstory.

34
6
6Girl Opinion
34Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guys

• Aiko_E_Lara
    That's not exactly justifying to movement feminism. There had also been lots of rights men didn't even have but there's no need for men to advocate such a one sided moment. Another thing you should also take a look before advocating such movement is men didn't have to rights to refuse to join wars, refuse to do the dirty work, all those to make everyone's lives easier. Women always had the rights to refuse when being recruited which is why most of them just do also because workplaces and life before isn't as comfortable as life today. Now everything is at peace, technology is advancing and society's government system is getting better, cars are getting easier to drive, that's when women started wanting to go out. And to top it off, usually guys issues aren't really addressed. Really it doesn't matter what gender discriminates guys, whether it's his wife or it's his boss, it's not always addressed. Guy had always make up most of the victim of homelessness, poverty, suicide and homicide but what you only wanna take a look is how "privileged" guys are, looking at those guys being on top the corporate ladder while also ignoring what they've been through to get that position. So yeah you need feminism? Yes? And what about masculinism? No? Then double standards proving inequality.
    Is this still revelant?
    • It all has to do with equal opportunity.

• Also, just incase you'd say that "there's discrimination and women should go home because they're weak and etc." The fact that those kinds of "discrimination" (which is what those chiefs also faced trying to get that position) just caused them to give up, just shows their will is not as strong as those chief's will. But lucky for them, being defeated because of that doesn't get them homeless like those other men getting pushed around. So yeah, for equality, should women be treated like that too?

• There is a difference between equity and equality. There are plenty of homeless women too, being homeless sucks either way

• Miristheiss
    Well you aren't 70 so nothing for you to worry about.

I do not know about 2.

If it were a crucial position and I needed someone dependable to fill it I might not hire a young woman. I wouldn't say it out loud I would just hire the guy. Where is the justice of having to pay someone who will be off 6 to 8 months... pay a replacement and be required to hold her job?
    Then when she is back she is always leaving early and taking off for sick kid and Dr. Appointments and childcare issues. Yeah... what a waste of money. That isn't fair... just hire a guy if the position is crucial.

Military front lines?
    Yeah that is needed... way to "strengthen" the military.

Not all of these are slam dunk improvements.
    Is this still revelant?
    • It has to do with equal opportunity. The only reason someone would be off work for 6 to 8 months is if they are recovering from an injury, if you are referring maternity leave that is only for about 12 weeks, and men are entitled to take it too.

Most Helpful Girls

• Apulu_3
    I know it is weird as a girl to say this and offend majority of women for sure. I don't care about the hate I will get later. Women had a very bad life in previous generations. If you see now almost in every part of world women are seen equal as men (but still there are women who still suffer from the old generation stuff). Have you ever thought about boys? Not the one that take the support of their gender to dominate women but true men who respect womens. They need to hide their tears because it is not something that comes in the rule of "manliness". When girls are wearing boyish black dress then they are thought cool bad girl stuff. But when boys only shed a tear they are not manly. Why do most girls cry on past. Yeah I know we were treated badly that time and boys were treated like kings but now it is totally opposite. It is not Karma but ignorance of society. As it is not the fault of the new generation boys that they previous generation treated girls like a trash. I'm extremely sorry if I offended you.
    Warning - I'm not empowering feminism nor the manliness.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Well that kind of toxic masculinity is usually passed down from the fathers, or the boys father figure, and often facilitated by the mothers. "men don't cry" and "boys will be boys" is toxic to both men and women.

• Apulu_3

Yes it is really toxic and due to this many boys get depressed without anyone knowing as they will become "weak" for society if they share their problems with anyone. Thank you for understanding my opinion and for not getting offended as most girls.

• Of course, unfortunately that kind of rhetoric is still pushed by so many men.

• whirled_up_girl
    I don't know how talking about progress in women's rights always turns into an "us versus them discussion" by the gag posters. I mean, I try to listen to both sides but to me what I hear the "them" in the "us versus them" is "so you got the right to vote and the right to birth control etc but now you have all of this other stuff <insert whatever the complaint> is". Does that mean the right to vote, or the right to birth control or whaever else shouldn't have happened because it led to whatever the complaint is now. So if X led to Y, which then led to Z, and Z is bad does that mean that X and Y were bad too. Maybe I'm just too tired and misunderstanding the arguments.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

432
  • HighValue
    I agree with most of those things, but I don't agree with it being presented as something a woman has done when in fact it is mostly men that made those changes.

* For number 4, it actually endangers people's lives by having them on the front lines. They lowered the standards so women could qualify. I hope a 130 pound woman can somehow rescue a 220 pound man and carry him to safety, and carry just as much equipment for supplies as someone more than twice as strong.
    I don't mind them being on the front lines, but I think they should have their own separate unit, along with the small weak men which wouldn't have qualified in the past due to not meeting the requirements that also endanger the lives of their companions.

* For number 6, even today in 2021 women can easily falsely accuse a man with no evidence whatsoever and get him fired and many abuse that. I have personally witnessed it a few times.

* Number 8 is unfair and actually raised the costs/rates for men to pay for women's pregnancy.

* Additional points, why should men alive today suffer from women alive today for things long dead people did to other long dead people?
    * Why do men get no credit when it is actually men that helped women to gain all of these rights? More men than women caused women to get these rights.
    * Today women have more rights than men in the USA and no woman has EVER done anything to get laws changed because ALL women in reality are against equal treatment under the law.
    * Today in 2021 women still don't have to register for the draft.
    * Millions of men have fought and died to protect our civilization (including women) and lived with horrible life altering injuries which women don't have to do. Until millions of women voluntarily get shot to death and have their limbs blown off defending our civilization and citizens do they really deserve much say in our society? They certainly haven't contributed nearly as much as men have.

I'm sure I will get hate and/or insults instead of any logical counter arguments.
    I'm still waiting for even ONE law to get changed by women that helps men's rights.
  • Celtero
    Dunno, I'm still convinced feminism has always been a ploy to double the pool of laborers to reduce costs for corporations. Despite these petty privileges, women are reportedly less happier today than they were some 50 years ago. And I feel a lot of these wouldn't affect the average woman, even if discrimination is bad.
    • I think you're onto something. Like, I remember when I was a little girl... at family get togethers, the men would all go off to smoke cigars together after dinner. And the women would wash the dishes and serve the men coffee. By today's standards that would seem oppressive. But the thing is, these men were paying ALL the bills - they paid for the mortgage, the cars, the women's clothes and jewelry, everything. Find me a man like that and I will happily serve him coffee, wash all the dishes and give him sexy massages every night! I don't know if they exist anymore. And I'm not even necessarily blaming men for that... it's very hard to provide for a whole family on one income these days, unless you are in the top 5% of earners.

• Celtero

@NicoletteXO From my point of view, women acting in a subservient manner towards men was their unique way to show men that they loved them. Men would bring home the bacon, and women would do their part. Now, men and women are expected to fulfill the same role and are effectively roomates who bang. People aren't having kids, they're having less sex, depression and suicide are rampant, but hey-at least now women can get blown up on the front lines too.

And I can't help but feel like there's so much propaganda and re-writing of history out there... The husbands of old were always made out to be drunks, cheaters and abusers who'd supposedly treat their family like trash and there was nothing that anyone could do about it because only the man had any semblance of power. And there were plenty of prestigious women before women entered the workforce en masse, but we're supposed to pretend that women were kept chained to the stove.

• Inbox

I can't speak for your theory regarding corporations, but I can from a causal/effect POV: I think modern day Feminism is one of the main reasons why American society is being torn apart. It went from I don't want to be treated like a second class citizen to extremist POVs such as "women don't need men, women can do anything a man can do, etc." These arguments alone are extremely divisive fundamentally speaking; AKA RACIST linear thinking.

As for movements for women's rights itself, it's been around for over 2,500 years going back to Roman times. The word "Feminism" today is just the new name that erupted during the French Revolution and weaponized by the Soviets to destroy America during the first Cold War because from a geoeconomic and geopolitical stage, the US is in the safest part of the globe - we can see an enemy coming from half a world away. So, you have to destroy the enemy from within and that is a common strategy of Communist regimes: destabilize the society to make the nation weaker. A divided enemy, is a weaker one before taking them over - just as the Chinese Communist Party is doing now.

Lastly, a fact that is not well known to Feminists is that they are a direct cause of the 2008 Financial crisis.

• CrazyGirl2
    Omg, that is absolutely horrible! I had no idea… fuckin’ 7 years old! Jesus, it’s really shocking to read how long women had to wait for the same rights as men!
    Ruth Bader Ginsburg however, was not nominated to the Supreme Court until 1993 when Clinton nominated her as an associate justice, so there are more people to thank than JUST one woman! For example, the 7 MEN who gave us the right to CHOOSE on January 2nd 1973.
  • Rachelspiks
    "Fight on the front lines..." - Great, so now we can all get killed equally! I don't consider that to be a step in the right direction.
    • Then don’t enlist…. It’s about equal opportunity

• HighValue

I do. Millions of women need to fight and get shot to death and have their limbs blown off and watch their SO abandon them for it while she defends our civilization. That way they could have contributed at least SOME of what millions of men have contributed.

• @HighValue Not you again. Go away low-value!

• Better_off_here
    i think we have been way over time to give woman the rights they want and need.
    since none of us would be here if it were not for a woman who gave birth to us.
    see men for too long have ruled this country and ruled the way we live and it is a shame it took that long to have freedom for a woman to do as she chooses.

even today we are still fighting for a woman to have a choice of abortion too. shame on America as we know it use to be.
  • TonyMetal___86
    I'm against 7 and 9, ESPECIALLY number 7, that didn't happen in my book and will never happen and i don't care about such laws!

In my country we don't have this law and even if we have it, my future wife will know that in my house the law never works!

There ain't no such thing called rape between a husband and a wife and the wife should slways be ready to pleasure her man and must be happy about it...

A husband ain't a stranger or a boyfriend, he is the life, the family, and everything to his wife including the father of her babies!

If a wife didn't want to give sex for her husband it's bot because she doesn't want to, it's because she have some serious health issues or something else and she's ready to explain to her husband why and will make it up for him later...

A husband should be able to understand when his wife says no, some men would force their wives to have it, but it's never rape cause the wife won't feel scared orher life being threatened... etc, she will just feel unpleasured and won't be responsive with her husband and make him feel undesirable but it's NEVER RAPE! Cause she's simply his wife!

A good husband will never force his wife for sex even if he knows that he can have it from his wife but should not do it cause he needs love from his wife before sex so better wait so he receives more than what he asked for 😄

A true husband cannot hurt his wife because after marriage god made them one, if she's hurt than he's hurt and if she's sad than he's sad and vice versa...

Now about the right for abortion, you can never have an abortion without your husband's agreement because he is the father but if he's your boyfriend than you must take his opinion into consideration but the final decision is yours but if the baby came from a rape situation than the full decision is for the mother!

The only situation where the wife cannot decide by her own is if he's married and her husband is a good man! That's my book!
  • Ez-Bri-Z
    Adding to that, that's just here in the US! For example of inequality in other places, women in Saudia Arabia couldn't legally drive until like 2018. The fight for women's rights doesn't just stop at the US border, so for those saying "oh women have full equal rights or more rights than men" keep in mind, that no, on the whole we don't. Hopefully as we make more progress in countries we will get there though
    • HighValue

The problem is that in countries like the USA where women DO have more rights than men, the women complain even more and NEVER have done anything to change laws to help men's rights.
      Then they vote for democrats like Biden that lets the Taliban take back over and now women can't go to school, own property, etc. all over again, but they continue claiming that democrats support women's rights and equality.

• Women have more right where i live.

• Ez-Bri-Z

We don't have more right than men, in fact republican states are trying to take away ones we already have at the federal level.

What rights do you want us to advocate more for men on?

The democrats typically do support women's rights and equality. They also are more likely to support lgbt causes. Again, republican states are trying to restrict those as well.

• bamesjond0069
    Wow we've really gone backwards. Women wanted their independence so badly now they get to be single moms. 🙃
    • I guess men should actually step up and be fathers instead of sperm donor then huh

• Why bother? Women can and want to do everything on their own.

• That right there is the mentality that is part of the problem, if you’re not gonna step up and be a parent then don’t get someone pregnant.

• genericname85
    one things that women need to learn: "unequality" does not inherently mean "a unfair status quo that needs change". unequality is not by definition a bad thing. it's merely a statistical difference that is an expression of gender differences.
  • Pogi-Paddy-2
    I thought you were going to enlighten me on 9 things that I didn't know, but I am glad that you are amazing for writing it out for ALL to see.
    ♀️♀️♀️♀️
    • You know that the age of consent in 1971 was 12 years old and 7 in Delaware? I’m mean I didn’t think most people were aware of that.

• Hispanic-Cool-Guy
    The U. S. has a ugly history of treating women like ish thus now they are reaping their wickedness with radical feminism and all the bull going on.

Wicked men in the U. S. caused feminism to being with because if they ruled and treated women equally socially then feminism wouldn't need to rise to begin with.

And all the men in Delaware who thought the age of consent should be 7 years old should have been stoned to death. Damn sick pricks.
    • t-8900

I lived in Delaware for 17 years and never even heard of this till now. Being that I went through some stuff when i was 7 this hits close to home and i agree.

• @t-8900: 11 or 12 is too young much less a 7 year old. Freaking kidding me? A grown ass man potentially having sex with a 7 year old is extremely disturbing. 😡

• t-8900

yep it's totally sick and messed up

• Shizunk
    Not all of those points were entirely positive developments. But the age of consent thing, that is brutal. I had no idea it was that bad.
  • Lionman95
    Thanks for the myTake. I take it is as some information I didn´t know before and wasn´t aware to be fair.
    Not coming from the US I just fear that it could be used to split the US society even more.
  • jasco
    Frankly speaking it doesn't surprise me that people are such jerks during that time. Power can be very crippling and if given to the wrong person can make them either go insane or power hungry or worse a control freak. Power is great because it shows who people really are on the inside. So yea
  • JesseJayNeak
    Yet, that hasn't stopped feminism from becoming toxic
    • Not has it stopped toxic masculinity but hey, at least people are on more of an even playing field.

• And what exactly is toxic masculinity?

• It is a set of attitudes and ways of behaving stereotypically associated with or expected of men, regarded as having a negative impact on men and on society as a whole.

• msc545
    Are we supposed to feel badly about all this old crap?
    • We are supposed recognize what happened in the past and strive to be better

• msc545

All of that stuff is old history and has no relation to women's current level of privilege.

• That was 50 years ago, those laws affected my grandmothers, and it’s not about privilege it’s about equal opportunity and sexism

• AydenHazor
    Unfortunately this is not at all surprising, and there's too much of the male population that acts like these should still be the case. 😡
  • boxxie2002
    I think number 3 is one that looking back was a mistake.

I would be more than happy to not have to go on Jury duty!

Interesting about all the points and how late the laws were changed, but also how many were changed during the 70's
  • alance99
    Nice Mytake, i hope women get more power and rights in our society
  • Dragonpurple
    I'm glad most of that is 50 years ago or so, give or take. The question is what is left now?

As for Health insurance I have always said the only thing that should really matter is how much someone uses it. Example if someone heavily hits it the previous year, the rates should go up... if someone does not, it should go down.

This would include subscriber and family, if exceeding their own premiums (combined between employer and employee)

Should have nothing to do with Gender, race, or anything else. You use it more, you should pay more... you use it less and conservatively, you pay a little less. Sadly that is not how things work.

I use mine rarely, yet my rates go up yearly.

Now the question is what is left to move on to make equal, far as I'm concerned I believe 100% in true equality across the board.
  • Pete671
    Shocking, but when have women ever been called up for military service with a significant prospect of being required to actually go into combat?,,,
  • exitseven
    wow, I never realized any of that. It was a barbaric era.
  • Jouth
    Everyone talks about woman's rights, but what a about woman's lefts?
  • legalboxers
    Stop the FAR RIGHT from taking away WOMENS RIGHTS!
    • Aw I triggered 2 trumplets. Let me guess to those who Down rated, your as single as a Pringle and living in mommy’s basement where yog watch Fox News all day

• krin_m
    Very cogent expression!
  • humanearth
    I know a few of them, but not all
  • Julious0202
    yes, but now feminism has gone crazy
  • Gabygaby
    Spouse rape huh
    • yeah basically men owned their wives back in the day.

• @Gabygaby it makes me laugh everytime i hear about marital rape laws or feminists shouting like maniacs for it 🤣

Don't get married and never ask for a real man if your mentality is going to be like that, my future housewife will be aware that i can see her naked anytime i want, touch her, kiss her, caress her and make hard sex with her everytime when i have the chance and she will be happy about it because she will be receiving too much love and pleasure from her man, also knowing that he's always attracted to her...

He's her husband, she holds his family name and does everything eith each other and they are one and made kids together and will live and die together so at the end an insane feminist come and shout SPOUSAL RAPE 😂😂

• Pillarofhell
    1/4 on psychotropic drugs
  • Tstrbrainer
    That's informative and it's quite surprising too.
    • But I don't know how the provision of spousal rape gives security to men, but I understand why it's there

• Anonymous
    I agree with most of it... Save for the military one. I am sorry but lowering the standards in the military so women can fill roles they are not traditionally filling is not only wrong, It endangers the lives of everyone they serve with. Additionally statistically, mixed platoons do worse than all male platoons..
    • Anonymous

Some other things i would add to educate you

1. Women have the right to genital integrity
      Regardless of how you personally feel about the practice of circumcision (I personally find it barbaric, cruel and completely unjustifiable), the legal fact is that infant girls are protected against any genital cutting of any kind and infant boys are not. Many feminists will argue that female genital mutilation (FGM) is a magnitude of brutality beyond male genital mutilation and while that may be true, I do not find the “it’s only a little bit brutal” argument to be very compelling. It’s like saying cutting off a toe is okay because cutting off a foot is much worse. Ultimately, the argument is immaterial to the fact that women have the legal right to be protected from having their body parts sliced off. Men do not.

• Anonymous

2. Women have the right to vote without agreeing to die
      In the US, citizens are free to exercise their constitutionally guaranteed right to democratically choose their own leaders through the process of casting a ballot in an election once they reach the age of 18. Women achieve this right by the simple act of surviving 18 years. Men may not actualize their basic rights as a citizen without first signing a Selective Service card, in which they agree that at the discretion of the democratically elected government, they will take up arms and die to defend their liberty and way of life. The draft. Men may vote if, and only if, they agree they will face death if required. Women have no such obligation, but they do get to vote for the governments that can potentially send men to meet death. Again, regardless of how you feel about the draft, women have the right to vote without agreeing to be drafted. Men don’t.

• Anonymous

3. Women have the right to choose parenthood
      I’ve written about this before, but it is worth repeating. Women have three options to absolve themselves of all legal, moral, financial and social responsibility for children they did not intend and do not want. Women may abort the child before it is born, they may surrender the child for adoption without notifying or identifying the father or they may surrender the infant under Safe Haven laws and walk away from all responsibility and obligation. Women cannot be forced or coerced into parenthood, but they are legally allowed to force men into financing their reproductive choices. In many states, men can be forced into financial responsibility for children whom they did not biologically father. As long as a particular man is identified as the father, he will be held accountable. Paternity fraud is legal. In no state is legal paternal surrender permitted without the express agreement of the mother.

Again, regardless of whether you agree or disagree with legal paternal surrender, the fact remains that women have the legal right to choose parenthood. Men do not.

• Anonymous
    I could care less.
  • Anonymous
    I find it interesting how modern western feminists still choose to focus on conditions fifty years ago rather than the fact that TODAY's western are the most privileged and entitles class of humans in the history of the species.
    • Anonymous

TODAY's western *women

• I just though they were interesting facts. I didn’t know half of that.

• Anonymous
    There was no law against women getting a card, banks could discriminate privately but they were not required to. Spousal rape was legal, but there were avenues for women to divorce a cruel husband. Spousal rape is still legal in many countries, but because these are third world countries, feminists seem curiously silent. Berkeley admitted women from the 1800's.
  • Anonymous
    The word history has nothing to do with the pronoun "his". It comes from the Greek
    Greek historia "a learning or knowing by inquiry; an account of one's inquiries; knowledge, account, historical account, record, narrative," from historein "be witness or expert; give testimony, recount; find out, search, inquire," and histōr "knowing, expert".
    • yes I get that, it was a play on words

• Anonymous
    Yeah I try to duck out of jury duty anytime I can. I hate that crap. Same with credit cards. More power to you ladies. I'll personally never own one myself though. Probably good for retail and online stores though haha. If i didn't have to get drafted though I'd be a whole lot happier haha. 7 kinda of doesn't make sense to me from a religious standpoint. But for a secular marriage or non Abrahamic oriented marriage I guess that makes sense. My religion sees it differently and it does not say that it's only for in the case of a man on woman but also woman on man. If she wants it I have to oblige her according to my oaths which I take seriously. Vows are to me etched into the soul. Everyone might see it differently though. However context is important. A guy should never hurt any woman, let alone his wife. That should go without saying. If she's sick or disabled or if the kids are like RIGHT THERE, or just she's really tired/unreasonable hour i totally get that. But using it as a form of punishment is messed up. The other stuff is imho truly all around good for women. Except that I know most girls loath the idea of now being forced to sign up for a draft soon. Personally I think most aren't cut out for that line of work. Most guys today aren't even for that matter.