How often do you see interracial couples where you live?

It's really really rare to see interracial couples where I live, even tough there's a significant number of immigrants here. So, I always get surprised when I see a couple like that and they're usually tourists.
You also never see people of different races getting married.
By this, I'm NOT saying that everyone should date/marry outside their race. If you prefer to date/marry within your race, you're free to do it and there's nothing wrong with it. I'm just curious about it.

So, is it different where you live? Are they frowned upon?

0|2

Most Helpful Guy

• I live in Florida and interracial relationships are very common down here. Based on my observation of Florida, Black and White couples are the most common. After that then Hispanic and Black couples and finally Hispanic and White couples.

As for whether it's frowned upon, the answer is no... in general. I'm pretty sure there are individuals down here who oppose interracial relationships but such people will never express it publicly since the majority of the population approves it.

1|0
    0|1
    • "I'm pretty sure there are individuals down here who oppose interracial relationships but such people will never express it publicly since the majority of the population approves it." - I guess that's what happens in most places.

Most Helpful Girl

• Up until late last year, I lived in Los Angeles, California. Down there, I saw more interracial couples then same race couples.
    Then I moved to Washington State, and there’s nearly no minorities, much less interracial couples...

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 40

• Interesting question! It's very rare here too. In fact, besides my wife and me, I only know three other interracial couples personally and two of them are our friends because the wives come from the same country as my wife (so they've kinda formed this little community). The thing in Switzerland is that although we have a lot of foreigners/immigrants, most of them are also (more or less) Caucasian. For example we have a lot of people from the Balkan and the mediterranean countries. They are obviously white. Then we have a few middle eastern people, they are also sort of white. And of course a lot of EU citizens, especially Germans, French and Austrians. All white.
    We have practically no black people and very few South/Central Americans. Probably the biggest racial group besides white people are Asians. And within those, roughly 80-90% are Thais. This is also the most frequent interracial pairing I see (among the very few that exist): usually some old, rich, ugly, Swiss guy with a Thai woman that's 30 years younger than him.
    Recently, I have seen a few young Swiss guys (around my age) with Chinese, Korean or Japanese girlfriends. But that too is very rare. Maybe like once a month I see a couple like that. Other than that, it's very mono racial.

However, I think interracial couplings will become more common around here in the future. Intercultural couplings are already very common, so once there are enough Asian or black foreigners, it's gonna be a matter of time. I think a lot of young people also like the idea of interracial dating. It's not as politicized as in the US for example. I think the attitude generally is like "yeah, Swiss girls/guys are also cool but this is something new, exciting". Like when you go to a bar and you could order your favorite drink that you always order and you know you'd like it but the bartender tells you he's gonna mix something special for you today and somehow that just feels really fun and special.

1|1
    0|0
    • Thank you!
      I'm glad you answered my question, because I've always wanted to know how things were in Switzerland, since there's a significant amount of foreigners living there.
      And I once thought about moving there.

"Like when you go to a bar and you could order your favorite drink that you always order and you know you'd like it but the bartender tells you he's gonna mix something special for you today and somehow that just feels really fun and special." - That's a nice way of seeing this, I really like it. :)

• I would not know how to tell you since it is difficult to know where a race starts and ends.

I am from South America and here practically everyone is a product of the mix.

In some cities you can see more the American phenotype, in others the European, in others the African and in some the Asian.

1|0
    0|0
    • I know what you mean. In South America is hard to tell that, since almost everyone is mixed, which is interesting!

• Well, here at GaG when people talk about race, I just usually substitute culture. So yeah, where I live I see a lot of mixed couples. I am staying the mid-West U. S. right now, but I am from the eastern seaboard.

1|0
    0|1
    • I see. But race and culture are not the same thing.

• Show All
    • Yeah, it would be simple if the people who believed in race, actually talked about race in the way they are supposed to define it. By phenotype.

But nope, sooner or later, they began talking about how this group acts like this. Or that group has too much crime or this group is really smart.

That is not about differences in skin color or looks.

That is about differences in culture. Anybody from any supposed race can emulate any cultural belief or behavior.

And that is scientific fact.

www.americananthro.org/.../Content.aspx

Historical research has shown that the idea of "race" has always carried more meanings than mere physical differences; indeed, physical variations in the human species have no meaning except the social ones that humans put on them. Today scholars in many fields argue that "race" as it is understood in the United States of America was a social mechanism invented during the 18th century. . .

"snip"

s3.amazonaws.com/.../...to1__MG_93991_Desktop2.jpg

• Well, you have some good points. Especially when you say this: "But nope, sooner or later, they began talking about how this group acts like this. Or that group has too much crime or this group is really smart." - This happens a lot at GAG.

• In my country it isn't so common. I have seen some interracial couples, but it uncommon because most people are white and people from other races like black or oriental use to work in different places and spent their free time in different things than white people.

1|0
    0|0
    • That's what I imagined. And I guess it's understandable, since most people are white there.

• Growing up I almost never saw interracial couples, however in the past 5 years there seems to be so many.

every day several times a day. My neighbor, she is with a black guy, my roommate dates Asian girls exclusively. My other roommate who is indian dates a greek girl. so I see it always going on

1|0
    0|0
    • I see. Then it's more common than where I live.

• Yeah really common here. I would say 25% of couples are interracial. That includes blacks with Asians, Hispanics with whites, whites with blacks, etc

• That's really nice! I wish I could live in a place like that.

• Very common in London to see couples. Marriage however... i agree, it's less common than just dating. But being in an interracial engagement myself, it comes with a whole new tier of things to consider.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yes, I've heard that is common to see couples like that in London.
      "But being in an interracial engagement myself, it comes with a whole new tier of things to consider." - That's true, it's hard for some people.

• Yeah it's hard. I am okay because i was born and raised here and so were my parents, it means our culture has almost no clashing. If i was an immigrant it would be much more difficult.

• Yeah, culture could make a big difference.
      I know I would have some issues if I wanted to date/marry outside my race, because I'm an immigrant.

• Yes, they are still frowned upon by some (older generation), the younger generation is morr open to exploring. Interracial relationships used to be a big NO back then (Apartheid), but as the years have gone by it is now something that you see a lot. You see at least 1 or 2 interracial relationships if you stay in the vicinity of your neighbourhood, if you move into other parts of town they are quite a lot

1|0
    0|0
    • I'm sorry, I don't know what happened but I just saw your opinion now. It's good to know that it's common to see interracial couples where you live.
      That's rare where I live and it's still a taboo.

• Where I live the answer is a yes/no.

There is a high percentage of white people here, so in that sense you don't see couple like that often. That said, when people of color move here, that means they're likelier to find a partner with a different race. In that sense it might be more common.

Tl;Dr that's a complicated question with a complicated answer c:

1|0
    0|0
    • Your answer doesn't sound complicated to me. And my question isn't complicated either :)

• If you're in the US. The West Coast definitely seems that way. People I know say that there are more interracial couples in the South and East Coast. With Southern California being an exception. You'd think it would be the other way around.

1|0
    0|1
    • Unfortunately I'm not in the US.
      But I'm surprised to hear that it's common to see interracial couples in the South. So yes, I'd think it was the other way around.

• I'm opposed to it right now because it's being unethically shoved in people's faces. It's not organic and actually immoral what the Left, Hollywood, and the media are doing. Would not let a liberal Hollywood actor into my home. They hate America.

0|1
    2|0
    • This question has nothing to do with politics...

• Show All
    • @Tetroy "Umm up until a couple decades ago it has not existed" Not true. Race mixing always existed.
      And there's no agenda. People date/marry with whoever they want to. They don't need others to tell them with who they should be.

• "They don't need others to tell them with who they should be." I agree. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjMYCnI5kz0
      I wager this is a majority of what's portrayed internationally and they're doing it to get shock ratings.

"Not true. Race mixing always existed." Also true. What has not existed until recently in modern society is mass media influence. Other minorities complain about trends in stereotypical portrayals and cast selections. It's irritating them too. You asked for regional differences and I'm trying to describe what we're dealing with here.

When you got tripe like this being churned out: www.washingtonpost.com/.../?utm_term=.1799bf9df545 You're going to make people angry.

"By this, I'm NOT saying that everyone should date/marry outside their race." I'd say go with what makes you comfortable. You'll be judged no matter what you do.

• Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 24

• In Cali, interracial couples are everywhere. It's just the thing, it's a very normal thing here. There will never pass a day when you don't see one unless you live further from the big cities in a place where there isn't so much tourism or where it's just locals there. In fact, answering this question just made me realize that I'm part of an interracial relationship. I never actually thought about it because it just seemed so normal, just two people in love, and we've been together for years.

1|0
    0|0
  • U find like 20% of guys here married to foreign women. It rarely happens the other way around because people here are traditional and its really rare that parents would allow their daughters to date or marry a foreigner.

1|0
    0|0
    • That sounds unfair to me. 20% sounds like more than here.

• If I'm lucky, once a year. Although, I wouldn't say I'm the best candidate to tell you since I rarely go out to restaurants/romantic places where couples are. There could be more, I
    I live in the southeastern part of the USA, in the suburbs

1|0
    0|0
    • Well, you see them less than me. And I always thought that it was more common in the US, than here where I live.

• Fairly often, I’d say. It’s mostly black-white couples though. Which is a little strange, because we have more people of turkish/morroccan etc descent. I guess they just want to marry within their culture. They are very proud people.

1|1
    0|0
    • Yes, I know what you mean. It happens the same with the Chinese people who live here.

• My parents are interracial, so i'd say every day? :P

But other than that, I live in a 90% white neighbourhood so its pretty rare to see tbh.

1|0
    0|0
  • I haven't seen that many probably just couple times but very rare. Seeing foreigners also rare here. And you know if you're a foreigner here people would stare... can't lie, if i cross an interracial couple i would stare at them too.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yes, I also see them rarely, even tough there are a lot of foreigners here.

• I'm in an interracial relationship, and where we live it's not super common but not totally uncommon.

1|0
    0|0
    • "... and where we live it's not super common but not totally uncommon." - That's good. Where I live it's uncommon.

• Here in Paris it's not rare but not as common as USA i think.
    Most interracial couples are white male with east Asian female.

1|0
    0|0
    • I don't know how it is the US either.
      But I've heard that it's common in France.

• I actually thought that this was normal when I was a kid. I come from multi ethnic parents who also happen to be different ethnicities from each other. One of my Aunts was really into latino guys when I was growing up and she eventually married a white guy when I was in my tweens. I had crushes on black, latino, & white guys growing up and a lot of them returned my feelings. I've since lost most of my attraction to some other races but a number of my friends date interracially. Heck, one of my best friends, a Jamaican American Girl fell in love w/ and started dating 1 of her male best friends, a vietnamese guy. I also have an uncle who married an Indian woman.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yes, it's normal. But it's not accepted in some places, nor it's common.

• Show All
    • I've honestly never heard of there. I'll look it up.

• Well, you're not first person who tells me that they don't know where Angola is. Most people never heard about African countries.

• All the time. Both of my siblings are in interracial relationship s. As am i

1|1
    0|0
    • Nice.

Is your family okay with that?

• Show All
    • I know.
      Ithink at the end of the day all our families want is for us to be happy

• Yes, that's true. But other times they end up ruining your happiness.

• Show more from Girls

Recommended myTakes