"A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words" Doesn't Apply To People...

A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words Doesnt Apply To People...

I'm sure most people have heard the phrase "A picture is worth a thousand words". But, for those who haven't:

"A picture is worth a thousand words" is an English language adage meaning that complex and sometimes multiple ideas can be conveyed by a single still image, which conveys its meaning or essence more effectively than a mere verbal description

Now, I've personally always believed that doesn't apply to people. A picture can only portray visual looks it can't portray their personality.

But especially in this day and age with technology being what it is. These days there are too many tricks, ways for people to change, alter pics. I guess this is where I need to add a disclaimer 🙄 for the people that will try to be stupid or sarcastic...

Disclaimer: YES, I know this should be common sense, but if it is, why do people still get catfished? Why do some people still complain the pic on the dating site didn't match the person in person... Why do some men and women still send gifts or money to people they've never met online and find out later, it really wasn't a guy or a girl? (I found out from my one niece her brother, my nephew used to pretend to be a female online using pics of his other sister and had guys sending him money and gifts, so it Does happen)

Reasons you should never trust just a photo.....

Gender Changing Apps

There are so many apps people can use these days to change their gender. I've listed some below:

Apps For Swapping Your Gender
Faceapp.
Cupace.
Face Changer 2.
Snapchat.
Upic Gender Transformation.
MSQRD.
Translated Gender.
MRRMRR.

So before you trust, think you know who's really on the opposite end of the computer, just based by a pic alone:

This just might be the reality
This just might be the reality

Filters/Editing/photoshopping

It's so easy these days for people to alter/change their pics. Which I personally don't do. Yet, that hasn't stopped users on here from editing/photoshopping my profile pic (without my knowledge or permission), once in a reply to one of my questions, once to create a fake profile/account and once to post a question.) and those are only the instances I know about, I'm not stupid enough not to realize there could be more I haven't caught) Which is just another reason, not only don't just trust a pic, be careful with the pics you put online and who you send pics to, cuz you never know what people may do with those pics.....

Pic tricks

Even when people don't use edits to change their photos, there's other ways to appear different, like using a pic from years ago or using angles to make themselves appear smaller than what they really are....

Another reason not to go by just pics alone....

Unphotogenic

This is so my experience lol
This is so my experience lol

Some people just aren't very photogenic (I fall under this category) Yet they don't believe in altering their photos. So, just because they don't look so good in a photo, don't mean they may not look good in person.

In closing, the best way to really know a person, is to get to know them in person. A picture of a person really isn't worth a thousand words.

Thank you for reading 💜❤️

"Brainsbeforebeauty"😘

20
6

Most Helpful Guys

• Massageman
    If it didn't take a thousand words- of at least 500- so many novels would be SO much shorter, since it's all that background info that sparks the imagination- and also makes the book thicker and more sellable. but I digress - - - -

Warning - I am pushing back on this one - - - - ever so gently - - -
    The primary reason you don't want to use pictures as the "best way to really know a person" is because- with modern tech- it is SO easy to modify them. A thousand words? With photo-manipulation, even ONE word might be wrong (male/female comes to mind), never mind the other 999. No problem - I'll certainly grant you that.

There are lots of legit ways to use make-up, face-altering prosthetics, wigs, etc to change someone's appearance for a "valid" reason, as, perhaps, a role in a TV show or play. This is done because even at a fairly rapid 200 words per minute, it would still take 5 minutes to describe a character when one shot will convey enough information - perhaps not 1,000 words worth- but enough to frame that character relative to others and/or to the plot. As a Graphic Artist and Photographer, sometimes I have been called on to create a particular "look" which allows the viewer to fill in those 100, 200 or even 1,000 words in their own minds. And many of those go back to when "photo-alteration" meant cutting out someone's face from a photo and sticking it into an album.
    Is this still revelant?
    • I swear I replied to this. But editing is one thing. But these days people can actually change their gender with apps to fool people. My Message was too convey don't think you know someone just by pics and words on a screen, cuz if their pic is fake, how do you know their words aren't either?
      Take time really getting to know people IRL , best way to avoid getting catfished, played, hurt.

• Massageman

I agree. I was just responding more to the "1,000 word" aspect of things. :- )

• 👍👍

• TonyMetal___86
    Ouch, a needle had struck me 🤣
    "Some USERS had posted my photo without my permission and the 1st letter of his name is Tony who goes here under the name of ToNyMeTaL, he's about to become 35 next month, he loves muffins, talks a lot of crap... etc" just that, a USER whom i don't know at all 😂😂

The gag community asking miss brains: "where is now?"

Miss brains: "i made him a box of muffins, he's eating them now, leave him busy, i got away from getting my forehead bitten" 🤣🤣

Miss brains why don't you tell the truth that your profile picture do look unedited and natural but it's fake cause we all know that your a MUFFIN, a human muffin 😋🧁
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girls

• Yads_Is_Back
    I think in some ways it does. Just depends on who takes it."A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words" Doesn't Apply To People...My friend’s costume for Halloween. She made it herself. Well, she has “absent-minded” moments and, well, if her head is missing so is her mind. So she will never live that down.
    Is this still revelant?
    • But you make a good point, just saying. That’s why I don’t depend on people on the internet. Everybody I depend on I know irl

• Exactly! And even IF their pic is real a pic alone can't tell the true personality, or nature of that person

• You right 💯
      I use filters a lot (obviously), it has actually become a habit from when everybody started fooling with Instagram in high school, so not gonna lie, using filters is literally a habit for me 🤣
      But I don’t do stuff like morph my face, change my boobs, etc. because I know people do that. Sometimes I’m guilty of the angle thing without realizing it.
      But it’s a matter of insecurity. Some people are really good-looking even but they will change not the filter but how they actually look and I’m just like why? For the ones who aren’t out to get attention online, that is. Now with things like dating websites, you might as well expect it. One out of many reasons you would never catch me on a dating site in my life lol (of course I’m happy now ❤️But yeah)

• DanaeAdam5
    Personally I always found people who try to get into relationships by using dating apps desperate. Getting to know someone face to face in the real world is the best and safest way to score a date. 🤷‍♀️
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

418
  • Oh I definitley am not photogenic. I look either like a serial killer or like I was dropped on my head one to many times. Also chunkier then I do in real life (not that I am not chunky, only that its more so in pictures). And yes I don't trust pictures because I have seen photos of women on social media, women I know in real life and well, they have altered it so much that they might as well have just cropped themselves out and put another persons photo in its place.
    • Lol right! And yeah just like pics can make you look smaller they can make you look bigger with bad angles. ...

• Yeah, not particularly a fan of any picture I'm in.

• Ikr feel bad for it now though, cuz looking for pics of their dad when he died, there were not many and most were there ones I took off him and the girls, there's even less of me cuz I'm funny about people taking my picture. So when I die and they looking for pics there won't be barely any

• Myk13
    At the same time doesn’t the fact that my picture is altered also say 1000 words about me. I tend to have a lack of trust toward somebody that can’t share an honest picture of themselves. That is one of the top reasons that I do not have a pic of myself on G@G. I think it makes me more relatable to more people. I don’t care what anybody says. It’s hard not to judge a book by its cover.
    • Oh I do agree to some extent with that. Originally, I had no pic either till someone lied and told another user I was on here to stalk our troll them and those two users were reporting my account for days when first joined, why I put a pic, cuz if I really was trying to troll or stalk someone 1-wouldn't of told them I was on this site, 2- wouldn't of used my real pic (that they'd recognize) I found it funner tho without a pic cuz I just knew some would assume by my age and username I was some fat ugly, old lady, 😂 and maybe some seeing my pic still think that 😂😂🤷🏼‍♀️

• Jjpayne
    I agree you have to be super careful when it comes to photo alterations. i honestly don't even know there is a way to know... That's the scary part... How can you know 🧐
  • The best way to really know a person, is to get to know them in person. End of story.
  • I look horrible in real life but in some of my photos i look nice. I said some!
  • If a picture is worth a thousand words than what is a picture of a thousand words worth?
  • douride2
    Getting to know someone in person is always the best way to have a relationship.
    • Exactly!!

• douride2

I never could figure out these people that say they have been dating for months. Yet they have never met in person. How is it possible?

• Right! I know people that have done that and it was a year or longer before meeting IRL and then the real life wasn't the same as the online, well duh of course not

• PBandJ_Nerd
    Sometimes I think it's because of beauty standards that people do this. Other times it's just something that people do for fun or to gain something from other people.
  • Gravit1
    Title's not quite right. That phrase usually denotes the thousands of descriptive words that a picture can replace. I agree with you that you can't trust pictures and I don't. I assume everyone on the internet is a 30 years old 300lb man living in his parents basement. I can befriend any of them, but it will always be based off the mind. You can assume I am, but you'd be wrong, just like for the most part I'm wrong, but I'll never be cat fished because imagining them as Jabba the Hutt makes their offers far less appealing.
    • 🤣🤣🤣 gotta go my mom is calling lololol no seriously tho, I agree. I don't imagine the exact picture you described 😂 but I take everything on this site with a grain of salt. Fake pics only one issue, you have prior with multiple accounts, there'll be nice to you with one account and user the other to talk shit. Yes actually caught someone doing that, blocked his second account, but not his main account. And where there's one, there's usually more 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Gravit1

That pretty cringe, how many do you think do that?

• More than people think I'd say. There's a couple female users that do that too... Well if they really female. That's the thing, people don't get that you just really never know who you really dealing with if your only interaction with them is online 🤷🏼‍♀️

• r_r_g
    I do computing architecture for living. There is no picture that can replace 100 words, let alone 1000, of any of what I design.
  • jshm2
    Yeah well... a thousands word can do more than any picture.

Just look at the diatribe of Trump, less than a thousand words, caused a practical invasion on Capitol Hill
  • slatyb
    It doesn't apply to most things. If it did, all novels would be graphic novels.
  • tjbyrd39
    100% true. That's why you ask for the pin number test.
    • PIN #test? You mean the website should? Cuz people giving people any PIN wouldn't be a good idea...

• tjbyrd39

I'm just saying it as a PIN number. Just a random number that you just made up off the top of your head. Give it to them they have 5 minutes or less to write it down hold it up and take a selfie with it. It usually weeds them out pretty quickly. I mean if they've already posted or sent you a bunch of supposed pictures of their self it shouldn't be a problem.

• Ah okay but I don't worry myself about people on here being real or fake, cuz I ain't tryna use this site to date, or sext or anything like that, so it hardly really matters for me. But some others do, so they should be careful with that is all I'm saying

• LemiaOfTheCodes
    Depends on the situation but yes sometimes a good old picture can tell 1000 stories.
  • MyBigMystery
    Can it mean i beat the stupid out of some people if they think they right and have a thousand beats then why not?
  • CrazyGirl2
    Beautifully said!
  • Avicenna
    People get excited and don’t think rationally.
    • That's true

• I just personally can't get excited by a pic or even a video, I need the REAL DEAL, and to me for myself, I feel you can never truly get that just online only 🤷🏼‍♀️ well, I can't anyways

• Avicenna

I agree, but I think what’s at play is that they associate the image with someone they’ve seen in real life, which we all have

• monkeynutts
    Yeah good photos can be difficult to get.
  • COMMODOREII
    It depends on how symbolism is viewed in society.
    • But if it's not really their pic? It's not even real symbolism. I wasn't going to put the pics of me people edited of me,( not giving those people extra attention they don't deserve) but what would stop them from using those pics to make a guy think that's them when it really isn't? Just because the pic LOOKS like a female or a male, don't mean it REALLY is... Just another reason don't do the online flirting/sexing/dating... Real person I can verify if real in looks, personality, actions, or no thanks...

• Ok some good some bad
  • Alexalex92
    Again, a great post from you :)
  • msc545
    Fascinating - thank you once again!