NOT Blocking People Is Ridiculous. Got It.

ManOnFire

So the other night I was on Quora and having a back and forth with some girl on a post about narcissism, and let me tell you that for whatever reason, Quorans love talking about “narcs,” NPD, and other psychological issues when I feel that many of these same users are suffering with those things themselves. Anyway, this girl literally thought it was ridiculous when I told her I don't block people, and she proudly admitted that she blocks lots of people. When I asked her why she thought it was ridiculous that I don’t, she wouldn't really give me a good answer, only saying "You're hurting yourself if you don't." This was truly strange and I did not understand it! The really odd part is that even though we weren't agreeing on this, she didn't block me.

For the record, I do only ever block people who are a serious threat, like persistently harassing me with racist comments, extreme verbal assault, or someone being a stalker. Otherwise I do see it as pointless and stupid to block people, even ones I don't like or disagree with. If you're always blocking somebody you don't like or don't see eye to eye with, it says to me you're not a very strong person and you let others get to you. I also feel like most people want to block anybody these days just because it's there and they can, or because it gives them some sense of control, and I wonder how they feel if someone does to them what they do to others, for the same reasons as them, especially if it happens at random.

Learn to co-exist

Growing up, my mom always taught us to try to live in harmony with the world as much as you can. “Learn to co-exist,” she would say when me and my siblings would have fights. She taught us not to be weak wimps who can’t face people, but to stand our ground and not run from anybody, and to learn to live with people even when you’re not on the same page. This has stayed with me into adulthood, and oddly enough I maintain these values even when I’m on the Internet. Why? Because I’m still talking to a human on the other side of the screen even if they can’t see me and I can’t see them. Most people are flippant and prefer to have the attitude, “Why care so much? It’s just a random person online. They don’t know me and I don’t know them, who cares how they feel?” - and from time to time I too can be like that, but overall I generally regard most people I’m talking to as human beings still. And you never know what somebody on the other end is going through and if you say something that pushes them over the edge in their darkest moment.

This applies to blocking as well. I simply don’t do it unless it is for the severe reasons I listed earlier. Hell, I don’t even block any of my exes. Never have. I’m strong enough to deal with the loss and move on without needing to do that. I don’t even remove people from my circles either unless they’ve been inactive for years and we don’t even talk anymore, or we have some great, big argument that just escalates into all kinds of unnecessary words and attacks, which is extremely rare for me. Otherwise I don’t need to send some passive-aggressive message to a person that says, “I don’t like you” by blocking or removing them from my circle.

What about when somebody blocks me?

Unless I knew this person for years or very closely, like a relative or a lover, I simply continue on with my life! That person has obviously shown me they must not be important, or they have some kinds of issues and just aren’t very strong in dealing with people. If you’re blocking someone for small shit or even differing point of views, then you don’t know how to handle your world and have a feeble tolerance level. Or you’re doing it in the hopes that it’ll piss the other person off. Either way, it says to me you’re not very mature, and makes me wonder how you deal with your real life.

We all have disagreements with others. We all dislike somebody - there are some folks right here on GaG that I don’t like, but I simply don’t keep in touch with them and they don’t keep in touch with me. All good on my end. I don’t need to block them and see no point in it. I personally don’t care who doesn’t like me or who doesn’t want to be my friend - that’s okay, but there’s gotta be tolerance and respect.

A disconnect

Society teaches people that it’s okay to cut others off. It’s okay to suddenly start avoiding people. It’s okay to block or delete friends, lovers, etc. without warning or communicating why, and “you don’t owe them any explanation for it.” These are values of a proud, self-justified mind and ego. Not any kinds of healthy pearls of wisdom. Because these same individuals know very well if all these things were done to them in a shocking instant - especially by people they were close to, they would hate it and feel hurt.

So even though writing about something as unimportant as blocking does indeed seem unimportant, in some sense I feel that it’s a social malady in these times where social media is a common tool with us all, and is a reflection of who we really are when it comes to mingling with other people and how we handle them. It doesn’t necessarily mean you’re a bad person, but it definitely means you have some growing to do.

#blocking

7
24
7Girl Opinion
24Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guy

• Vegasrunner
    Bro. This is so eerie agree w/ everything. I've never blocked anyone because I'm on forums like this to hear other opinions. Reality is in todays society most people only look for things that validate their beliefs and when they run into anyone that contradicts them they just quit and block them out of embarrassment. I look at blocking people like a sign of ignorance and incompetence.
    Like 2 People
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girl

• ariadneR
    So yeah, you and I pretty much see eye to eye on a lot of things.
    If you block me, I just shrug my shoulders and move on with my life. It's your loss, I am a fucking delight to be around 😅😅
    Don't even get me started on today's cancel culture
    Like 7 People
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

623
  • Meh. I used to think like this when I had my other account on here. And then I started getting harassed on a daily basis. And no one did shit about it here. So now I don't hesitate to block. Because I can't be bothered with nonsense and I'm not giving any more second chances. The people who harassed me and made fun of me were people that I actually got along with at one point. So nah, the block party stays open 24/7 and anyone can get a ticket.
    LikeHelpfulDisagree 6 People
    • ManOnFire

If you're being harassed it's allowed.

• RolandCuthbert
    Well, until the mods decide to get rid of the function people can use it.

I think my point is much, much simpler.

Don't accuse people of being a snowflake, if you are going to block me. But many folks in this forum suffer from cognitive dissonance.
    Like 3 People
  • ADFSDF1996
    Quora is a website full of idiots. There’s some good Quora users I like but most of them are annoying smart asses who reply with snide remarks whenever someone simply asks a question. I deleted my Quora account because I couldn’t stand the toxicity of that website. It could have been a good website but it got ruined by Quora users that can’t agree to disagree.
    Like 1 Person
  • Datboi65
    Haha the irony of the situation is that apparently some guy who's blocked me has answered your question as well. You can usually tell "Opinion by a user you blocked or were blocked by", and since I never usually blocked people, I now it was someone who blocked me. I usually like to start thought-provoking discussions, and my opinions don't always fall in alignment with everyone here on gag. Unfortunately, there are always those people who would show up, call me all types of names for having a different opinion without presenting an argument of their own, and then block me for responding with the same tone. I don't take it to heart though, I know that they're just throwing a tantrum. I have never blocked anyone on this space, even after the insults and trolling, because I like to challenge people's views/insult back haha. I think there's just something great about always having the perfect comeback, and if you have the mental toughness to respond to trolls, then what's the need of blocking anyone?

Anyway man, great piece as per usual. Keep it up 👍🏾
    Helpful 1 Person
  • legalboxers
    love the take.. but when my fuse is short and you keep repeatedly poking the bear and you keep on bothering me I will block you
    LikeHelpful 6 People
  • Deserter
    I love when you get into an argument with someone, you block them cause they're annoying, so they take that as you being unable to refute their argument. Like no, I just don't want to debate all day with dorks on the internet lol
    Like 2 People
  • anon1903
    We all have different coping mechanisms. She shouldn't be judging you. Not blocking is certainly okay, it means you have better things to do than let people trample you beneath.
    Helpful 1 Person
  • Aakash_Hangargi
    First u used to feel bad for being blocked fir no reason even not knowing the person then i found there are bunch of such people here so like now it's meh 🤣
    Like 1 Person
  • LikeALog
    I don't block people. If their response is from the bottom of the barrel in desperation to make their case, I don't respond. If they can't discuss it reasonably, there is no sense to continue the conversation.
    Like 2 People
  • mark000h
    I just couldn't agree more. Just had 2 girls block me because I stood up for myself.
    LikeDisagree 2 People
    • ManOnFire

Females block the most for any shit. It's pathetic.

• Mangospacho
    Oh yeah? Well the Jerk Store called and they’re running out of you!
    Funny 1 Person
    • Ok. Most people would’ve blocked me for that one. I now believe you mean what you say.

• ManOnFire

Yeah, was definitely not worth blocking you for, it was funny as shit😂

• DizzyDesii
    In person, if i dont like you, i politely let you know and then i cut you off. If i hate a job enough, i politely ask them to fix their shit and if i dont, i quit and move on to other stuff. So online, if you fckin annoy me and i’ve asked you to stfu and you keep comin, then consider yourself blocked. I used to enjoy arguing a point and getting the last word but shit we dont owe these people anything, especially our time. So i dont think blocking makes you weak. It shows you’re done with the bullshit. Fck them hoes. And if they’re so bothered that they’re blocked, thats their problem. I really dgaf if a person doesn’t like something that i chose to do. If you can unfollow someone, you can just as easily block em. We all live as we please :)
    LikeDisagree 3 People
  • CallmeTheKnight
    People get blocked for a variety of reasons and people block people for the same amount of reasons. I learned when discussing narcissists or anything dealing with mental health, people go from 0 - 100 on topics that even they don't have insight on.

However, I block people as well. I only block the following:
    1. Time wasters
    2. Liars
    3. Attention seekers
    4. Manipulators
    5. Mentally/emotionally unstable
    6. Disrespectful
    7. Ex girlfriends
    8. People I am no longer friends with
    Like 1 Person
    • ManOnFire

I can get the manipulators, liars, and disrespectful, but not sure I get the others. They don't seem significant enough to me.

• Joker_
    Only read the title, but that was enough to get my agreement
    Like 1 Person
    • Joker_

Accidentally misread the title, and that was enough to get my disagreement

• ManOnFire

Maybe you should've actually read the Take instead.

• FýrdracaDócincel
    So basically you don't block people because you're so insecure about what little masculinity you have that simply forcing bullshit to stop makes you want to commit seppuku. gOT iT.
  • TheBigGuy9
    Mostly righteous lefties dominate that site. They will block you if you present too much truth. They will do their best to find out your real name, etc.
    • ManOnFire

@thebigguy9 I will say, yes, that is true about them trying to find out your real name and everything. They hope they'll be able to uncover you and publicly shame you, but it will be hard to do without knowing your email or even your phone number.

The most sure fire way to do that is if an admin or someone else who is in the site programming area and knows your login credentials, betrays your privacy and gives that information out to a user. Which you better believe DOES happen. There are users who get very close and friendly with admins and things can go from there.

• UdontNeedtoknow
    People who block are usually control freaks and cowards.
    LikeHelpful 2 People
  • hi_it_is_me123
    I dont want to to deal with trolls. I stop replying to any post under a question. Some people get really agressive and offensive out of nowhere. I prefere to insult back of course, but sometimes there is no end and so i make some insults, then block since i dont want to banned since you can get banned when you insult in like 5 posts. Lol
    I also dislike when people dont reply to your post but copy your posts to reply to you in their own posts and then idiots gather around under this person's post and trashtalk you. Blocking also helps you to hide your posts from these loosers.
    • I also think it is senseless to reply to a post under political questions since noone will change their political beliefs after 5-10+ years for a random person on the internet and the replies are mostly kinda disrespectful, rude, etc which causes people to block.

• I also block people when they make ridiculous sexist agressive posts since these people reply to you in a ridiculous way. So if i see a person who replies to many girls in a rude way, i block them before they do the same. I see that under gender related questions and the thing is also that this site also has much more active male users than female users and women can get unnecassary negative attention under gender related questions when you kinda defend your own gender like the male users. We are all biased especially when it comes to our gender. So i dont expect from guys to defend women etc and vica versa. The negative attention such as so many dislikes by male users and kinda unnecassary rude replies is also a reason why women just block if they see a guy who make ruse replies to other girl's posts. At first i though i am too controversial, agressive, wrong etc and therefore i got so many dislikes but then i realize that almost every female user get so many dislikes under gender related questions. So i can understand when women dont want to deal with this bs and just block before getting too much negative attention that dont let you alone for one week lol

• ManOnFire

So basically it sounds like you block if you can't win the argument or get the last laugh. That's still not mature.

• WhiteBoyChill
    If someone harrasses me through insults that’s the only reason
    Like 1 Person
  • msc545
    Sometimes blocking obnoxious people is a lot better than engaging with them
  • Show More (9)