Tips for Travelling Alone

I usually travel with my gal, although there have been two occasions during the past year when I haven't. I thought I'd share a few ideas about how to do this, in an enjoyable manner.

Tips for Travelling Alone

1. Have an agenda.

It doesn't matter if this is to seek out some rare species of animal in a rain forest, or simply to relax, but have a clear idea in your head about what you want to do. Turning up at your destination with no ideas runs the risk of quickly descending into boredom, and questioning why you went at all.

Tips for Travelling Alone

2. Unless the aim of going alone is solitude, be sociable.

Being on your own makes this easier in many ways, and as long as you are pleasant, open and engaging, you might be surprised at how many people are quite happy to chat and spend time with you.

Tips for Travelling Alone

3. Don't get drunk around people you don't know.

Kind of obvious, this one, but it pays to be careful.

Tips for Travelling Alone

4. Let the people at home know where you are.

Again, this is obvious, but regular contact will stop them from worrying.

Tips for Travelling Alone

5. Don't feel uncomfortable at going to a restaurant or a bar alone.

I know this is a challenge for many people, but there are lots of business travelers, who have to do exactly this, and nobody looks askance at them, and nor will they at you.

Tips for Travelling Alone

6. Get to know your hotel staff.

They'll have lots of recommendations as to where to go, where to avoid, and if there's a little human interaction, they're more likely to look out for you.

Tips for Travelling Alone

7. Keep a good book handy, for the inevitable times you'll be keeping yourself company.

Tips for Travelling Alone

8. Go with an open mind, and be realistic.

If this is all about getting laid every night with a different person, it's probably better to scale back your ambitions.

Tips for Travelling Alone

9. If you're the kind of person who'd terrified to live alone, and fears speaking to strangers, sack the idea off - it's not for you.

1725
JimRSmith is a GirlsAskGuys Influencer
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 17

• I've thought about it, i find if i made friends along the way i'd enjoy it.

• I'd rather go with one person who I'm really close with; my best friend or a boyfriend or spouse. I'd get lonely otherwise and wouldn't go out and do things if I were alone.

• I love the idea of having privacy during my travelling time. People say if you wanna know if you get along well with a person, try travelling with them xD

• Unless there is Someone on the Other End, Like a Friend, Waiting for you, Keep to Yourself over there.
    Be safe. xx

• You just have to be smart. I've known a lot of women who traveled by themselves with no problem. No reason to avoid interacting with people. If someone is TOO friendly, then yeah, you need to be wary. But most people aren't sex traffickers looking to sell you into bondage.

• Good tips. I sucked at point 1. Realised it's not for me. I like having company when I travel.

• Very cool

• All helpful. Thanks.

• I'm gonna travel alone in a few so, thanks.

• I so needed to read this. Thank you.

• I want do this. But I want go to New York.

• Nice! 4 and 5 especially

• Travelling alone is in my bucket list.

• I want to go to the Galápagos Islands

• Nice take

• Thank u

• Good

• Nice take

What Guys Said 25

• Very good advice. I like traveling alone sometimes because I can interact more with the locals or other tourists.

• I should have read this before the whole Australia incident. These things would have been helpful to keep in mind.

Also you forgot to say bring plenty of medicine for jet lag. Because no one else will bring it for you. Good list. Thanks.

• Thanks, I'm going to travel alone for about a month in July. Well 'alone', it's not that alone. I'll go to most things on my own though, so I guess it validates it being 50% alone. My family there does rather dislike it if I sleep at a hotel or eat a restaurant rather than with them.

• I 've done it , within my native Europe , but not yet further afield. I'm self reliant and have little need for people , but always pleasant towards others. After my children have flown the nest , intend to sample SE Asia , single dad and working FT currently.

• Solid advice. #1 is huge. I’ve learned solo travel is most rewarding when centered around a goal or hobby.
    My last solo venture was Australia. Scuba diving in the barrier reef, hiking in the Blue Mountains and lots of surfing made for a fulfilling trip.

• Learn local customs. For example, here in Malta, if you come upon a church, celebrating their patron saint, or having a wedding, they have no problem with you joining the party, for the later a cash gift is recommend for the wedding couple.

• I've done it many times, and thoroughly enjoyed most of my experiences. The bad things that happened, happened when I went against my own better judgement.

• I'm not big on the idea of travel, I have all my immediate and several generations of extended family all within a hundred miles and many national parks in driving distance.

• All of that seems like common sense to me. Maybe it isn't for most?

• Sweet. I'm probably going to travel alone soon. Thanks for the tips

• This all seems pretty solid. Very well dude, done.

• Nice, interesting mytake

• Great take!

• Good tips

• Good Take. I like it.

• Nice take. Privacy during travel time is great

• Great take

• Nice take

• great mytake, I enjoyed reading it.

• More from Guys
    5