A Sick, Starving "Wolf Dog" on the Streets Undergoes an Amazing Transformation

RainbowFanGirl

A rescue organization is up for saving any dog, even when that dog may not even be a dog at all...

Back in January of 2016, a woman was walking down the street in her Los Angeles neighborhood when she spotted what appeared to be a homeless dog. She snapped a picture of what appeared to be a “wolf”, and texted it to the California rescue group, Hope for Paws.

Her species, what appeared to be a wolfdog hybrid, is what stood out the most about this animal, and this would be a first for the team. They jumped into their vehicles and raced to find her.

When they arrived on the scene, they found her. She was about to enter a fenced yard, and the team was able to close the gate and surround her. When they took a closer look, they realized the situation was far worse than they had originally predicted.

Julia, the name that they had given her, was in terrible condition.

This poor girl was so swollen from infections. She was bleeding, pus was oozing from everywhere, and it’s hard to see because of this coat, but she was just skin and bones,” Eldad Hagar, Hope for Paws founder wrote.

The only sign of her past was the old, tattered rope around her neck.

That indicates to me that someone owned and neglected her to a criminal level.”

Poor Julia, due to her rough experience with humans was wary of them at first. The team needed to gain her trust. Rescuer Lisa Chiarelli sat down across from the dog and gave her treats, slowly gaining her trust.

“Even though Julia was so skinny and starved, she took food so gently,”

Hagar also wrote.

After about 20 minutes, Chiarelli was able to slip her lucky leash around Julia’s neck. They were even able to pet her, and she eagerly accepted.

Julia was so confused, so tired, and it was so nice that she accepted our touch almost instantly.”

After a conversation with the homeowner, who wondered why a crowd of people were in her yard, the rescue team coaxed the wolf dog into their car and rushed her to the vet.

From there, they could see the extent of Julia’s injuries. A test showed that she suffered from demodectic mange, which caused hair loss and swollen skin. Her paws were also sore and inflamed, and her nails were overgrown to the point that they were curling over, causing her discomfort.

“She is only 2 years old, but such an old soul… I can’t even imagine what she had gone through during all this time since she was born.”

Her thick coat covered her injuries. The rescuers only started to realize the extent of her injuries when they got her into a special, medicated bath.

When we got the water running, we noticed right away how skinny she was. Just awful to see.”

The sores and dirt dappling her sickly body started to uncover when the water hit her. It began to break down her scabs. She began to bleed everywhere.

As the dirt and blood was coming down into the tub, Julia changed from a grey and red to a black and yellow.”

Even in her pain and confusion, Julia learned that the humans around her wanted to help, and not hurt her.

As Lisa grabbed a towel, Julia just rested her head on Lisa’s arm. She was happy it was over.”

After the biggest day of her life, and a check up by Dr. Ingram, she was tucked into bed, and was sound asleep.

Her first few days, Julia didn’t eat much and was still wary of her surroundings. It would take a while to heal her from the trauma she experienced in the first few years of her life. The team checked on her and gave her treats, slowly building her trust.

Today I took Julia and we sat together outside for an hour. We enjoyed each other’s company, we looked at the people who looked at us and probably thought to themselves ‘look at this guy sitting there with a wolf.’”

Pretty soon, Julia wagged her tail when she saw the team, excited to receive treats and affection.

After months of rehabilitation, and a DNA test that identified her as a Husky German Shepard mix, Julia was ready to be put up for adoption!

She went to a foster home for a few months, where she thrived and learned how to live with a family.

After coming from the foster home, was recently adopted, and found a forever home with a family who will cherish and love her forever. She now lives with a couple and has three brothers and sisters. This goes to show no matter your situation, your life can be turned around.

Just like what happened with Julia the “wolf dog”. She is now an amazing member of the family, and just in time for Christmas as well. <3

Hope you enjoyed reading this story! I would add more images of her transformation but unfortunately you can only have twenty images max. :(

If you want more information on Julia, go to HopeforPaws.org, where you can watch the video of her amazing turn-around! <3

#HopeForPaws #Dogs #Animals #Pets

19
20

Most Helpful Guy

• RedThread
    Such a heartwarming story. I'm glad she was able to recover. Some dogs get abused so badly that they can't trust people again. They get violent when approached. It's nice that she wasn't too far gone.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Yes, she was a lucky one ❤️

• Unit1

Kind of like girls and guys become bitter misandrists/misogynists over a few abusive relationships.

Most Helpful Girl

• LittleSally
    Thank you, needed this. =)
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

1918
  • MindYourEyes
    I always love and hate watching these!. Love it because it gives me some hope in people! And if there's a good ending! Hate it when I see how cruel people can be to neglect such beautiful creatures. And when the ending goes bad :(!.
    This made me mad but in the end made my day :)!
  • redeyemindtricks
    Those Hope for Paws videos always make me cry... srs.
    The first one I saw was about a pitbull puppy that was living in a drainpipe, or something -- they had to go back a whole bunch of times (slowly building trust) before the dog would even come out of the pipe.

Their videos are so perfectly moving that I sometimes suspect they're a ploy -- but, honestly, if they are, I don't even want to know.

No matter what, those people do an AMAZING job "capturing" and rehabbing the puppos. <3
    • Oh I need to see that one but yeah their videos are so heartwarming ❤️

• Actually, I lied -- the *first* one I ever saw was this one, about 4 Poms on a hot summer day in the inland empire suburbs.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXvkLAYJKLU

Can't immediately find the drainpipe one rn... there's another one about a dog living in the sewer system that comse up first when I search. But I've basically binge-watched all of them by now, most more than once (... on days when my eyeliner is already fucked up ahah).

• cinderelli
    Thank you for posting such a heartwarming story.. I cannot tell you how happy I am that she was rescued.. and those people are just angels.. who took care of her.. things like this kinda restore my belief in humanity.. <3 <3 <3
  • EmpatheticLady
    Almost cried reading this. That poor thing... I don't know how some people can be so heartless to let their pets get to that stage. I'm glad these rescuers and volunteers were around.
    • I know. I hate when people treat animals like this. They are innocent and don't deserve such treatment when all they do is love.

• fauchelevent
    Ah, I love Hope For Paws <3 They have amazing videos and I recommend that people donate what they can to them.
    • I love them too and their videos. I'm going to try to donate to them they deserve it for doing God's work.

• Pig_Sty
    What a beautiful myTake! <3 🐕 Thank you very much!
  • mooky06
    I'm glad she is with a family who can take care of her and love her unconditionally. It's so upsetting that there are people out there who neglect their dogs (any pet of that matter). It's so heartbreaking.

Julia is beautiful though. I'm happy to hear that she'll be alright.

Great take :D
  • BaileyisDarcy
    I saw this episode, one of the much tamer rescues, but just as heart warming!

I love this group.
  • Jxpxtxr
    This is why it is so important to give dogs from animal shelters a chance, people!
  • Paris13
    Beautifully Done, hun, and What a beautiful Story of God and Glory in Time for Christmas Time. A True Miracle.
    Thank you so very Much for Caring and Sharing, and the Kind Invite as well. Sad stories that Don't end well Here, dear, like Animal ones, always Break my Heart.
    It takes Someone Special to Give an Animal a Good Home, especially One who Needs Love and Care the Most. If it Wasn't for my Own parents, 11 years ago, their Own Healthy yellow Tabby, Buster Brown, would be Six feet Under the Ground.
    Merry Christmas and a Blessed New year. xx
    • Thank you for reading Paris. :) Glad you enjoyed!

• Paris13

Thanks for the Like, hun. xxoo

• Paris13

Oh, I did, @RainbowGFanGirl, it was your Finest!! I am so happy it had a Happy ending, I was almost afraid to Read on. xxoo

• Nadzzz
    i feel good that there are still people like that
    we have a similar organisation here too. i help there sometimes
    • Awesome do you volunteer? :)

• Nadzzz

yeah i do often
      foods and shampoos and stuff
      even money

• dragonfly6516
    Amazing story, thanks for sharing! My own little dog was a rescue suffering from mange when we got him. I have never before known such love and devotion! Animals are a great judge of character, and very much capable of love on a level that humans can only imagine :-)
  • My girlfriend's dogs have all been rescue dogs and she has fostered rescue dogs. :) I'm a cat person and I don't have any cats now, but my cats have all been rescues from the neighborhood.
  • YourFutureEx
    Good :)

-------

Free knowledge :- PC users can use paint and for smartphone users I recommend you 'PicsArt' app. The procedure is simple. Take two, three or even four images and merge them to make it one piece. Simple. Upload it to myTake and it would be count as one while you uploaded more than that.

Example :- On this myTake - www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a8667-festival-of-colours-holi I uploaded, not 10, not 15, not even 20 but a whooping 27 images.

Remember:

●Use this technique when extremely necessary.
    It might make your take exhaustive.
    ●Don't attach too many pics as the system will automatically resize your image (if it has astonishing amount of pixels) and make it worse.
    ●I recommend you to attach max. 3 images (recommended pixel size: < 900 X 1250)
  • DaKing
    Sad she had to experience all of that, don't get the mentality of people who abuse their pets but really glad she's better!
  • Waffles731
    I've fostered dogs and It pisses me off when I see a dog neglected so badly like that
  • Death_of_rats
    I've literally just watched that on YT. It makes me so sad to see animals so badly neglected :(

here is the video if anyone wants to watch it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS13ZbuJ4IE
    • Yep
      That's the one :)

• every time i see videos like this i go and hug my dogs...

It reminds me that my best friends aren't going to be around forever :(

• ikissedtheskyonce
    I remember seeing a video about this but I did not finish it because it was too hard to watch because of the claws. :( the dog is so cute. I wonder if it was a still a puppy when they found her. She does look like a "wolf" though. Nice mytake
  • Luci92
    What a gorgeous dog.
    I don't understand how people can be cruel/neglect animals, I just don't get it. There has to be something wrong with you to hurt an innocent creature like that.
  • MyExperience
    Thanks for sharing. As a contributor to the MSPCA and rescue dog owner, these stories always warm my heart.
  • SovereignessofVamps
    OMG the dog covered in bloody water. So happy she was rescued from the abuse and who knows what else. She looked so innocent in that pic too.
  • oddwaffle
    Yes. Never buy dogs from pet shops. Always pick them up from an animal shelter or similar group. It's cheap. The dogs are smarter than pure bred and in serious need of a home.
  • ObscuredBeyond
    A pity they couldn't track down the original owner. On the other hand, is a 150 MPH police chase worth it?
  • howardque
    A lovely story and makes you feel better about the world. Merry Christmas all and thank you for this great take!
  • RegularTK421
    Loved this story, we used to have a wolf hybrid some years back, and she was a great dog. She looks very healthy and happy now, and this story really made my day. Thanks for sharing.
  • justagirl5
    Aww! As an animal lover, rescue stories always make me happy
  • TadCurious
    What an amazing story. I'm glad it had a happy ending. So pitiful what that poor thing had to go through.
  • ColinHarvey
    Pet ownership is abuse from both sides and a total hastle for humans. Let's stop domesticating pets because it's (current year).
  • yotes-of-472
    If you can't afford to take care of a pet, then don't have one and give the pet to somebody who can take care of them.
  • SlightlyCrazy
    Dammit I read this waiting for my friend in a parking lot and now I gotta stop crying
  • GoldCobra
    Aw 😊 She looks happy now. She looked so sad before!!! 😭😭
  • Afro-dite9
    AWWWWW <3 omg
  • Blonde401
    This made my day. Lovely 👍
  • soosooboo2
  • yuki_ibanez
    Wow...
  • OrdinaryGentleman
    Vet Ranch whoooo
  • SuicidalTeen
    I hate people who reject cats and dogs