Say No To Boring Dates: Is no one adventurous anymore?

Is no one adventurous anymore? I want some fun and excitement!!

It seems like no one knows how to have fun anymore! I'm so sick of the boring same old same old! Do people not know how to plan dates anymore? Do they not know how to put forth effort? It's as if everyone is stuck on a movie, dinner, and then hang at the other's house. Or it's the mall and a movie. I get that I'm a teenager but that stuff is boring to me! I want to feel excitment on a date. I want to do something that leaves me breathless and exhilirated! I want to look back on this date and be awestruck. Is that too much to ask?

I'm going to list some date ideas that I personally would enjoy and I'm sure other girls would too!

1. Hiking - I personally enjoy taking hikes and I would enjoy going on a hike for a date it's inexpensive and it's also a fun way to get to know each other.

hiking couple

2. Picnic - Seriously it's like no one goes on picnics anymore. If you pack the blanket I'll be sure to cook up an amazing spread to enjoy while relaxing and getting to know one another.

couple having picnic

3. Skateboarding/Rollerblading - I'm not that great at either but I would enjoy going and I'd be happy to learn. I think it'll be fun to laugh at each other flailing around lol

couple skateboarding

4. Skating/Ice skating -
I'm terrible at skating but I think the experience would be fun and we would definitely have something to laugh about later.

couple iceskating

5. Rock climbing/Wall climbing - I think this would be hilarious. First one to the top doesn't have to buy the icecream :)

beautiful couple rock climbing

6. Mini Golf/Golf - I'm personally a golfing queen thanks to my dad's love for it lol so I wouldn't mind teaching you how to swing properly. It's all in the twist of your leg.

nice couple golfing mini golf

7. Batting Cage - I can't hit a baseball to save my life but that doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy trying I bet it'd be really fun.

8. Bowling - I'm not that great at bowling but who doesn't love a competitive sport especially when everyone's a good sport about it.

9. Pottery Class - I think it's be pretty darn cool to attempt to make a cup for someone lol and even if it doesn't work you can always look at it and laugh at the attempt.

10. Woodshop Class - I don't know about you but I'm interested in sawing lol It always look so fun at school. (My woodshop class was filled)

11. Cooking Class - This one is expensive depending on where you go but you can always split the bill. Besides wouldn't it be fun to see what your date can do in the kitchen and if she burns the muffins you have something to laugh about on the way home.

12. Fishing - I would love to go fishing! I don't know if I would be that great but I'm sure it would be plenty of fun.

13. Camping - Obviously not until you've known each other for a while but once you have I think camping in the great outdoors would be a great bonding experience.

14. Walk - Need I say more. A walk in the park is always a fun experience.

15. Get together some friends and play tag football or soccer - Competitive sports are always fun.

16. Laser Tag - How fun would that be seriously.

17. Paintball War - Use protection because those paintballs hurt!

18. Baseball/Football Game - Who doesn't like watching a game and this doesn't necessarily have to be at the stadium either watching it at home or a bar is cool too!

19. Basketball/Tennis Court - Bring a basketball to a court and play a friendly game whoever loses pays for dinner. My crossover game is too strong I promise I will break your ankles lol.

20. Netflix and Chill - Because who doesn't like to enjoy a movie sometimes. Make dinner together or call up some take out and just relax in each other's presence.

Those are all my ideas to have a fun date! I'm pretty much up for anything except for Bike Riding because I never learned :( Also girls don't leave it up to a guy to plan a date. Sometimes they would like a little input as to what you want to do. Also I have done some of these things before on dates when I've asked it would just be nice if the guy thought of cool things like this too. It doesn't take much to plan a date when you know the other's interest most guys know that I like fun things but they also know me as laidback and a bit of a girly girl. Hence why they always take me to the mall or the movies :( That's another thing guys don't assume that just because she's a girly girl that she doesn't get down and dirty. You will take a massive L with me on a basketball court :) Anyways guys and girls share your experiences and if youcould also answer these questions below that would be awesome! :)

Girls

1. Have you ever been on the above mentioned dates?

2. Do you feel like the dates you go on are too generic?

3. Do you enjoy just a movie and dinner?

4. What is your ideal date?

Boys

2. When you plan a date what do you typically pick as a date?

3. Is there a certain point in the relationship when the dates get better? (More exciting)

4. What is your ideal date?

This is myTake so these are personal experiences so please don't come commenting about how all guys aren't like that because I already know they aren't. I realize that there are some very adventurous guys out there. I just need to keep looking :) Hopefully they can also chill too lol I don't like moving all the time. haha

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 26

• I've done about 10 of those dates. I like to mix it up.

• Those are great ideas when you're in a relationship, but they suck when it comes to first dates, cause imagine you go hiking and you end up not liking the other person, you're stuck with them till the end of the hike xD

• Yeah that's reasonable I should have been more clear about the time period of the dates as some of these aren't good for first date ideas lol

• @noneoftheabove I can agree with that.

• @noneoftheabove True, if you already know each other, then that could be a good idea. I was thinking more of two people who don't know each other.

• Same. Girls just want to go to the mall or "hook up" actual relationships have become rare so people like me have gone into hiding. I'm still standing out in the open waiting and looking for a real relationship, so either I'm determined or just stupid.

• The fuck do you mean "anymore?"

EVERY date was boring dinner and a movie up until like a decade ago or something, when girls started needing another reason to say yes to a date. In the 50's, good luck anyone having a fuckin rock climbing date.

The point of a date is to get to know the person. The activity shouldn't fucking matter as long as you're with each other. Once you're girlfriend and boyfriend, THEN you can do all that fun shit.

It's not that I'm against fun dates, I'm just against the idea that a date activity NEEDS to be super exciting and outrageous. That's stupid...

P. S. doesn't anyone value talking anymore?

• But shit, I got my crush to go geocaching with me the first time we hung out.

• I don't know why your comment is so aggressive lol but this was my personal experience. I don't only say yes to dates when it's fun things as I enjoy a movie and dinner as well. I just think that once we have been on a fair amount of dates or we are in a relationship that the dates should be mixed up some that's all. I'm sure everyone enjoys private time with their partner to talk about things and get to know each other even better but sometimes you just want to have fun and do something exciting. :)

• No girl will ever go on hardly any of the dates you mentioned, cause they barely know the guy and are too cautious, which is why I end up sticking to bowling and boring coffee dates. I'd love to take a girl on my boat for a date, but they won't do it.

• I didn't mean on first dates lol but I don't know why they wouldn't go on a first date to some of the dates mentioned above most of these things are in public places I would imagine them feeling comfortable in a public place. I'd be cautious if he asked me over to house for a first date but if he asked me to go hiking I wouldn't mind. :)

• 1. I have done almost all of those.

2. Going out somewhere where we'll be able to relax in a quiet place and have a conversation.

3. After the second or third.

4. The kind where we have breakfast the following day.

Many of these are very expensive, time consuming, and best saved for someone you are serious about. You don't want to set aside an entire day and the cost of booking a class or getting to the wilderness or whatever for someone you might well hate, because then you're stuck with them. It's great to do fun things together as a couple but early on it's more important to get to know each other and see if you're compatible. THEN you can start sharing experiences together.

• I forgot to mention that these are dates for after you know each other well or you are in a relationship. I've been in relationships where all we did was go the movies or the mall. I wouldn't say these are made for first dates but they can be utilized as first dates as well. Also I pay for dates sometimes as well as go dutch it's not as expensive when two people are splitting the bill and not one. :) Thanks for your opinion. Also I don't know how to update the myTake to add this information in lol I'm still fairly new to this.

• Yeah but most guys have trouble because women won't give them a chance to date them to do these things. The women think the men are all about trying to get some nookie plain n simple.. Are there any women out there that doesn't think that please stand up

• I don't think that every guy out there looking for sex. I usually want deny a man a date unless i'm completely sure we aren't compatible. I don't know why every woman thinks that about every man unless he's blatantly obvious with how only wants sex from her. Otherwise I think every guy should get the benefit of the doubt. :) Thanks for your opinion!.

• I've taken girls on some of those above dates and they usually work really well I've found providing it's not over the top.

The only time it didn't work was when we had to walk through a bit of mud to get somewhere which led to an argument haha, but we made up after.

And there is a point when they get more exciting , after each date the next one can be a bit more extreme. Like I don't think jumping out of a plane would be an ideal first one haha, but maybe on the 10th or 20th.

• Considering I would be horrible at most of these things I find many do these intimidating. Not only have I never done those "as a first date", I think I haven't done any of those at all! I would have to read wikihow even on what I am supposed to pack for camping. I am not even sure if I even have all the necessary prerequisites for camping. I am pretty sure I do not own a tent. This seems like a surefire way for me to leave a bad first impression in a split second.

Then again, maybe this is exactly why I am objectively horrible at dating, or anything remotely social; and hiding my inadequacy through avoidance is just generally worse. Hah! Jokes on me -_-

Anyways, you seriously need to be more specific about walks and the Netflix & Chill thing. You say dinners movies and going to the other person's house is boring, yet you advocate " walking", then going over to the other person's house, having dinner then watching a movie. Waht?

• @girlscout this article is a perfect summary of why I still have horrible self-esteem on a situational manner.

• Meson, you over think too much and you don't have enough confidence in yourself to allow yourself to fail in front of others. Failing is not disappointing in this scenario, not trying or giving up after one attempt is disappointing. What is appealing is a guy who will give things a go even though he hasn't tried them before, I find this appealing in any scenario. Give it a go and so what if you fail, you aren't an expert, it's your first go!

Asker, yes I know what you mean. I'm usually fine in social situations but sometimes I can be extremely shy and quiet. Socially awkward.

• I know this wasn't for me but why would you think something like that. From what I can tell from your first comment you seem a bit sarcastic but an overall nice guy. If someone never wants to talk to you again because they can't get over their own ego to just understand that you have never been hiking before and therefore are not the best then I say screw them. They obviously don't deserve a nice guy such as yourself. At least you were willing to try and that shows some serious courage. I never let the first date determine something for me unless they are outright rude I say this because most of the time you have anxiety on the first date. I usually keep trying until the third that way I know if it's social anxiety or if we just aren't compatible. Everyone I've gone on dates with have agreed to this. I also do the dates after that in different settings to see if they feel more comfortable in a certain environment. Some people close up on coffee dates but feel better on active dates! :)

• I took a girl on a date doing lazer tag once, it was a disaster lol, she hated it.

• What? Why did she hate it lol 😱

• No, the date was a success. You weeded her out in time, she was clearly incompatible with the values you represent.

• @Mesonfielde agreed good point. I just remember at the time feeling like it was a failure, now though I would see it as a success, as you say.

• Move to Texas, a lot of that is how we like to relax.

• Are you being serious?

• @Bowshots86 Sounds interesting I live in Georgia but I have relatives there although they never do anything fun when I visit :(

• I was being serious.

Why do you have to cook certain meats certain ways, we... apply heat... to the meat... and then eat. Where's the bad when it tastes dang good? XD

• But there's always a big line for Potato Chip Rock...

• I didn't think women liked fun things.

• Where do you get your facts from? lol

• Most women I've talked to don't seem all that fun, I guess. There are about five women I've met in my life whom I can call fun.

• Wow that sucks I would think at your age that you'd see plenty of fun women around. I hope you find your fun lady :) Thanks for the response!

• I love drunk board game nights.

• Ohh I forgot to add board games lol I enjoy those as well although I don't know about drunk board game nights haha :)

• Yeah I've done a few on there too. I really enjoy off-roading though.

• Writer: Says she is sick of boring dates over and over again
    Writer's Age: 17
    Years of dating experience (assuming she is a typical female): 1-2
    Consensus: Ignore Take and move on.

• Why does my age matter lol I'm also providing great date ideas that any age couple can use.

• What, you think I can afford this junk?

• No one says the guy has to pay lol I pay for dates as well as go dutch. Then again a lot of this stuff is very inexpensive in my area and I have a pretty nice job. Buying some food for a picnic and going to the park sounds inexpensive to me. :) Thanks for the opinion!

• say no to non-attractive guys

• How bout 4 wheeling... yeehaw!

• None of those are fun for guys if she's not nude.

• More from Guys
    6

What Girls Said 16

• There seems to be a lot of these "no more boring date" takes, lately. Personally, I think a lot of these things on here are more for people that are already a couple, in which case they wouldn't be dates they would just be fun things to do together. Like, if you just met someone and you don't really know them, you're probably not going to want to go camping in the woods with them alone lol. I suppose you could, but I wouldn't recommend it. See. the whole point of dating is to get to know someone and see if you fit together and if you want to enter into a relationship together but you can't really do that efficiently if you're climbing a rock and praying to God you don't fall to your untimely demise. So, I think these are all great fun things and activities to do together as couple but not as dates for people trying get to know each better. That's just my opinion though.

Also, if people don't like dinner and movie dates anymore. Then why would that same person want to go on picnic or watch Netflix, what's the difference? I mean, I know picnic you're outdoors and pack your own food but you're still eating. So, what's the difference if you eat at restaurant or in a park?

I know with Netflix you watch in the comfort of your own home but you're still watching a movie and aren't going to want to talk, so what's the difference if you watch a movie at home or in the theater? I mean, they all the same thing to me just different situations. So, how does doing one thing make it less boring then the other? I don't really get it.

• I put these on here as date ideas. I don't where any of you are at in your relationships so obviously I wouldn't know if you feel comfortable doing these ideas with the person you are currently seeing. These are just ideas nothing more nothing less. I'm not saying you have to these types of dates. I just know what I enjoy as well as what the majority of my friends enjoy (male and female) and they like dates such as these too. Do with the list what you will it's just a myTake lol. Also I think the difference between dinner and a picnic is that personally for me it feels more casual and relaxed i also really enjoy the outdoors. I also talk during Netflix lol which is why I love it so much as well as I can rewind as much as want and I've never had a date or an SO tell me I couldn't talk or be annoyed by me talking or rewinding the movie. It's the different situations that make it less boring to me. Changing up the environment provides excitement it can also make someone feel comfortable.

• I actually did finish my paper for college and I'm happy to find another person who uses the term okie dokie too lol most people look at me like I'm insane when I say it :)

• That's good and I know what you mean.

• Some very great ideas!
    I have been on nr. 2, 4, 6, 8 and 14 out of these

There have been other great dates in my single past... for instance:
    - cooking dinner together at his place and then going out to see a live band at a bar
    - going to an thermae / roman bath, which had an infinity pool on the roof, from where you can see the city.
    - visiting a Christmas fair and having mulled wine
    - going to a biker meet and enjoying a Rockabilly gig
    - going to a go-kart race track (and winning HA!)

But the success of a date for me depends more on the company and the chemistry with the guy than anything. I have had really great dates that were basically just dinner and drinks.
    I have had great coffee dates too, or an awesome time just getting an ice cream and sitting by the lake...
    And some dates weren't that great even if the location and idea were special.

• Yeah chemistry defintely comes into play. I just personally think that in a more fun setting it's easier to relax and get in the mood you kind of lose your bearings and you can be yourself. Lol maybe it's because I'm younger but being cooped in a resteruant isn't the most exciting thing. Although if I really like the guy I have fun regardless. 😃

• I know what you mean. The ideal date is a mix between something fun to do and a more quiet setting where you can actually get to know the person.. you know, talking and stuff ;-)

• Yeah that's exactly what I mean lol :)

• Bowling is not my thing.. I will sound like a wimp but I always hurt a finger or break a nail while playing..! I like movies but my goal is to get to know my date, not making out in front of a screen. I absolutely love longboarding/skateboarding and other outdoors activities. I'd be down for anything that includes nature or wheels like bikes, boards, etc.

• Yeah I can understand the bowling thing and I agree about the movies too. Thanks for the opinion! :)

• A lot of these sound super fun. I think some might work a little better if you're already in a relationship versus getting to know someone for the first time but nonetheless these are super good ideas. Some of these I haven't thought about before. I'm definitely keeping these in mind for my boyfriend and I. Thank you so much for writing this take! :D <3

• lol Thanks so much for the awesome comment lol and yeah some of these would work better when you're in a relationship. (obviously I don't trust just anyone to go rock climbing with lol) I wanted to mention that these ideas weren't necessarily first date ideas but I don't know how to update the myTake lol. :) I hope you and your boyfriend enjoy the date ideas! ❤

• Awe thank you, and lol rock climbing was the one I had that thought with xD but yeah this was well thought out and well put together. Probably one of my favorite takes thus far!

• 1. Yes a few, but unfortunatly we have very little nature in the Netherlands. No mountains or anything so rock climbing and hiking etc won't be that much fun.
    2. I most of the time come up with date ideas. I always try to be creative.
    3. Sure why not. The only thing about a movie is that you can't talk. We always just watch a movie at home and just build a giant pillow and blanket castle to sit in. Cheaper and more fun.
    4. I'm not sure actually. Maybe going to an awesome city and just do some sightseeing, going to dinner in the evening etc. A horse riding trip would also be awesome, but the guy I'm dating can't ride horses (yet, he might wants to learn it).

• Ohh horseback riding sounds fun. Thanks for the response! :)

• Lol, at the Netflix and Chill. Please, we all know what goes down with that.

1. I've only experienced the basic dates: meetup at a lounge or go to a movie and have dinner afterwards.
    2. Yes dates are too generic.
    3. If the movie is something I want to see and the restaurant prepares food I like then I'm cool.
    4. I don't have a truly ideal date but I would love to have it at a carnival, circus, hiking, picnic, rock climbing, or surfing.

I'm trying extra hard to avoid guys who are into boring stuff.

• I really don't know what goes on at other people's Netflix and chill lol but we're downstairs and my parents are always home so it's pretty PG over here :) I'm also not ready for anything sexual so really all they can do is watch Netflix or leave lmao Thanks for the opinion by the way

• Lol, oh okay. Good for you and your welcome. ;)

• I honestly love this post because I would love to do all of thoseC I suck at like half the things up there but it would be so fun just to so if with someone and have fun! But I'm 17 and guys my age don't take girls on dates like that 😞 I wish they would. Some the guys I know don't even have a car so they couldn't take me anywhere at all. Plus they r immature so I need an older guy and to answer the questions
    1. The only thing iv done on that list is Netflix and chill 😑😒 haha I wish I could have done the rest of that stuff
    2. Yea the dates I go on ARE to generic
    3. And I do enjoy just dinner and a movie but I also enjoy doing something new and crazy and fun
    4. My ideal date? I'm honesty very open minded about anything and people can make the most weird of boring things really fun but my ideal date would just be something very different from what people normally do, something people don't really get the chance to do but I'm not sure quite what

• I feel the same lol most of the guys I date are older I'm 17 and that's mainly because other teens don't seem to like the outdoors. :( Thanks for the response btw! :)

• 1. I've done like 11 of your list, but most of them with my already boyfriend, not with a date. If I were to have dates again, I'd probably do them too instead of dinner and movie. People act like a walk or ice skating are more expensive than a movie lol

2. With my boyfriend, I plan dates to happen outdoors when it's warm outside, indoors when it's too cold.

3. Yeah, the more you trust the other person to be fun and cool, the more you're willing to plan and go on adventurous and long dates with him or her.

4. Damn it.. I wrote that in another question or take the other day, but I don't remember it anymore 🙈

• Girls

1. I've been on a couple of hiking dates, bowling and a picnic once. But i'm kind of accident prone so a couple of those might end badly.

2. No. But then i don't date all that much.

3. Nooooo.

4. I really want to do an escape room. It would be so much fun and you could see how well you work together.

• Hahaha Based on that first pic I thought it was going to be swimming with sharks or something...
    Oh, yeah, these are all fun - except rock climbing - would do that only with a person I know and trust...

• lol I can understand that I meant in door rock climbing or wall climbing but I forgot to mention that :) Thanks for the response!

• No problem. Cool take! =)

• I talked to guys about doing all of this You have listed above and they all looked at me Like I was crazy. Most people don't like the outdoors and hiking and such is considered exercises to most and people would rather go to a gym, I hate gyms and love the outdoors. I wish people would do this, but most wouldn't.

• You're right I have been on some of the dates listed above but most people prefer to stay indoors which sucks because I love the outdoors lol. Thanks for your opinion! :) Hopefully I find an SO who enjoys the outdoors as much as I do.

• Hiking dates are my favorite kind of dates!

• I love hiking lol there's nothing better than going on a hike with your SO or potential SO. :) I think it's a great bonding experience you can see how well you can work with each other!

• Oh definitely! I discovered just how adventerous my boyfriend was when we started hiking together. We turn into mountain goats! 🐐

• lmao mountain goats :)

• It looks fun to me :D

• I love hiking. There's something about it that really brings people closer together :)
    I also love picnics.

My guy and I plan to go on a camping trip some time. We're thinking next spring. It'd be so exciting!

• Ohh that sounds like fun I can't wait to go camping in March although I'm going with friends :) I hope you and your guy have fun!

• Loooooove it and totally agree!^^

• The first date is to get to know the other person i guess? So the most appropriate is dinner so the two people can talk , of u play u dont have much time to talk. No?

• These don't have to necessarily be the first date. I don't go on dates with guys before I've talked to them for a while so it doesn't matter if we go have fun. Besides you can get along over dinner but you can have very different personalities outside of dinner. Maybe one person doesn't view fun or humor the same then what. Relationships should include fun too! Thanks for the response though! :)

• Oh well then i agree with u , those dates sound more fun i just thought about the first date lol

• Yeah lol :)