Cuffing Season: 6 Reasons Why Single Millennials Are Taking The Leap Into Seasonal Relationships

In case you're unfamiliar with the term "cuffing season", it's quite possibly the greatest time of year for single people. Whether you're the consistent flirt looking for a hookup or the hopeless romantic yearning for your next relationship, finding a winter cuff is the secret to a mutually beneficial "relationship" designed to keep your winter months frisky.

Let's be real - There's nothing better than a little "Netflix and Chill" on these freezing winter nights, but unfortunately swiping left or right on your dating app won't lead to a first-night cuddle buddy. Rather than jumping into a series of first dates at the local pub or locking down a serious relationship, a winter cuff is your seasonal significant other to help keep things heated! Whether you plan to rev up an old romance from the past or kindle a new fling, cuffing season is upon us and here’s why:

1. It's Too Cold to Feel Sexy

Though it’s Saturday night and you’re looking for a little fun, bundling up in layers of clothes topped off with a parka to head out on a first date hardly makes you feel sexy – Not to mention, it definitely downplays the eye candy.

2. Netflix and Chill

Whether you’re simply searching for a consistent Friday night movie date OR hinting at a little something more, a cuff takes your every weekend Netflix binge from lonely to lusty.

3. The Holiday Spark

From Christmas mistletoe to the NYE midnight kiss and the swirl surrounding Valentine’s Day, the holidays inevitably bring on the romance. Rather than searching for a last-minute holiday date, your cuff keeps the spark lit all season!

4. The Warm Cuddle Buddy

Though some may not admit it, most of us crave a cozy spoon-sesh after a long week at the office. A warm body to share the bed with not only cures the loneliness of winter, but also fights off the cold too!

5. Your Friends Are Doing It

Being single in the summer is one thing, but being single in the winter is another. Though you don’t have to be the first of your friends to find a cuff, you definitely don’t want to be the last as you watch your wingmen fall of the map. Hello, party of one.

6. The Time To Experiment

Since you are both cuffed up for a season, why not use this time to explore your desires and spice things up a bit. After all, cuffing season is centered around fun!

What are YOU waiting for?

WineAndWhiskey is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 16

• Number 5 is lame as fuck!

Too many people in my age bracket and below, being captive to what their friends are doing. Pathetic.

• God fucking damn it, here people are having seasonal relationships while I haven't had any at all to begin with... seriously how do they do that?

• they ask lol

• @skeptic007 I am understanding what you're saying, just finding it impossible to believe that women like men who are direct. Perhaps men who they already know but not men they have never met before. This could only possibly work if we have already met before.

• okay let me ask

• Wow, this made me feel completely awful.
    Well done on the covert attack.

Right in the fucking feels.

• i dont know anybody thats dating honestly. i know two married couples my age but one just got divorced so now i know one married couple.

• ahh I feel like cuffinng and anything that girls are into is not for me it's like I'm not average so all this stuff doesn't apply to me know what I'm saying?

• What about wanting something real and committed anytime of the year and not bullshit sexual flings.

• I don't understand this take, sorry. Winter is a time for hooking up now. Summer was apparently always a time for hooking up. People have seasonal partners... on purpose. It all seems really complicated to me. Why don't you do what feels right to YOU instead of doing something 'trendy' like this. Furthermore, why write a take about it? There aren't any opinions in here, just a description about a supposed trend. Also, I assure you that number 5 is an extremely toxic way of looking at things. In fact, it basically summarizes all my problems with my generation and the Internet. We all believe that our friends are soooo much better off than we are, especially according to their social media profiles. Here's the thing, I know them in REAL-LIFE and I know what their actual problems are and no, most of them are not doing this. I don't know what it is that grates me so much about these hooking-up articles but I think they should all cease to exist... now. Everyone's different, they go about relationships differently and have different goals and trying to understand them, after looking through a lens like this, is completely futile.

• I'm not sure why guys are responding to this. Most of them are down for casual sex at the drop of a hat. It's not like they weren't thinking of getting laid, then here there's this new trend to have a winter cuff, and are gonna think 'yeah a little sex this winter might be nice'.

But guys should read this as an insight into the complete lack of logic that surrounds women's decision to have, or not have casual sex. It's all about emotional state and vibe, and creating a sense of normalization for casual sex so she doesn't feel like she shouldn't.

• Love it! Do you suppose people look for different characteristics in a winter cuff versus a summer cuff?

• Or maybe we're just sick of you women?

• It's was informative thanks for updating social knowledge of mine, loved the take

• Cuffing kinda sounds pathetic and shallow to be honest. Cuffing isn't anything new a lot of women will just make sure they have a boyfriend over Halloween, Christmas, new years, valentines, st patricks and Easter by either getting a boyfriend specifically for the holidays or waiting to dump a current boyfriend after the holidays are over. People should really enter into s relationship as if its going to be their last one.

• Soooooo a seasonal friends with benefits that you toss aside as soon as it gets warmer?

• Just another excuse for lazy people to want all of the benefits of a relationship without any of the sacrifice, commitment, and responsibility involved.

• How do teens do this Netflix and chill so much, don't they have parents?

• What the fuck is "Netflix and chill." Is this Ebonics for "let's fuck"?

• Yeah, I just learned what that phrase means as well

• @red324 Me too. Either that or I'm doing it wrong.

• Basically, if you "Netflix and Chill", and actually watch Netflix, you did it wrong.

What Girls Said 12

• This is so lame. Another excuse for my generation to not commit to people.

• But by this logic cuddling season is every season. Both sexes today aren't into relationships but casual flings or sex. So, it's not a winter thing most people still do the casual or no strings attached sex in the winter as well. People today don't do relationships or commitment of any kind.. lol people don't like labels remember. lol... this is just people afraid of someone knowing the real them not the image and illusion they put out there and having to commit and be a " label",

• so how exactly does one do this?
    ask your date if he'd be down to be your cuddle/fuck/couchsurfing buddy for the winter? Because you have nothing better to do?

sorry, but that sounds lame AF and a waste of time... and just another way of describing a friends with benefits situation

• Wow Cuffing sounds so desperate and lonely. Do people who go for friends with benefits and cuffing really see the people and relationships in their lives as that easy and disposable?

• I never felt like this. I had 2 bfs I was serious about and we had a commitment. All the rest was just fucking. Never an agreement for a season or a fixed buddy for sex. I get laid with a colleague or a guy i meet a night out that i dont know too well, no agreement or anything. Just physical attraction on both parts, a good hard fuck session (sorry for my language) and life goes on. Works for me. I have a kid to raise.

• Not my cup of tea.

• I like the fourth picture. It's cute.

• Son of a bitch, another shitty relationship trend that makes it 'cool' not to make a commitment. :-(

• Exactly, lame as shit lol

• Out of curiosity, do people still do this same shit in your age group? 30 to 35? Please say they grow out of it...

• @DBAOracle I don't know. I've never even heard of it.

• I call him my winter boy but it's the same idea.

• Ya know, I'm beginning to think that I started off as a holiday cuff, but I wooed my now boyfriend enough to keep him around to this date 😉 So they don't always last only through the holidays. They could go anywhere!

• No thanks I'm single and I will pass

I have no problem being alone

I am happy with myself and if an opportunity comes where a guy proves he is genuinely nice I will not turn him down

• meh

sounds like a waste of time and patience

not for me deffinitely