Why You Should Date an "Alternative" Woman

Often when men look at me, they immediately misjudge me. Even in an age where more and more people are choosing to get tattoos, I occasionally still hear things like "Women with tattoos are easy", or "Tattoos really ruin a woman's beauty". I've come to realize that people who are so small-minded like this are not the ones I want to be associated with.

In this post I want to give you a bit of insight on "alternative" women, and why such women are actually worth knowing.

In my next MyTake, I would like to delve into some common misconceptions that people have about alternative women.

Why You should Date an

So, what exactly is an Alternative Woman?

For those of you who aren't completely sure what I mean by "Alternative", I'll explain a little;

We are the minority in the female population. Sure, we have our own strong community, but it's fewer and farther between. We often fall under the labels of "goth", "punk", "geek", "weird". We have unconventional interests and wear fashion styles that don't fall in with popular trends. (For instance, I have a large variety of music that I listen to, I enjoy comic books, video games, gothic literature, horror movies, traveling, nature, palmistry and tarot, and esoteric philosophies)

It's easy to misjudge someone, and we all do it from time to time, but what makes the difference is actually opening your mind enough to accept and appreciate those unique qualities that everyone has.

Why does an alternative woman make an amazing friend/lover?

We are good to have in your life because, if you let us, we will open your eyes.

Maybe you will gain an entirely new and positive perspective on life, and the world will suddenly become your oyster.

For many of us who are "different", we find that working a 9-5 job just isn't fulfilling. Sure, at the end of the pay period, we have some money in our pockets, but that's not what brings us a fulfilling life.

So we search for more.

I like to think of myself as self-sufficient.

I have my own Etsy shop, with a supply of my homemade jewelry and decorations up for sale. I also use my knowledge of cosmetology, and my love for palmistry and tarot reading to provide myself with extra income.

So, I get to do what I'm passionate about whilst being able to pay my debts.

The reason why this can be beneficial to you, is because it can really ignite a flame in your heart. You may discover new passions and interests, which could lead to brand new opportunities that you didn't even know existed!

You will never get bored, because in the eyes of an alternative woman, the world is filled with beauty, and the universe is just teeming with new experiences and places to see. A passion and zest for life often carry over to personal relationships, making for a more intimate, loving, and exciting time (and can really zest your sexy time, too...wink wink)

She is empathetic. Many women who express themselves in a unique way have been put through the ringer, so we understand what it's like to be judged, ostracized and unfairly treated. Therefore we have more sympathy and we are more likely to accept others exactly for who they are.

She can often carry deeper and more meaningful conversation, because alternative women see the world differently, most of us have a completely different mind than the more conventional women. We analyze things, we enjoy learning and taking in all kinds of information, and we like to culture ourselves. So we will be more likely to converse about the topics that many refuse to talk or even think about.

She doesn't give a damn what others think! Confidence is sexy after all, right?

A woman who loves herself and embraces her individuality has more fun!

This is my first MyTake, so I apologize if it's not exactly eloquent, but I tried!

So, post your comments below. What do you think of "alternative" women? Did this article change your view at all? Share your experiences and opinions!

1951

Most Helpful Guy

• "I occasionally still hear things like 'Women with tattoos are easy,' or 'Tattoos really ruin a woman's beauty.' I've come to realize that people who are so small-minded like this. . .." Whether people think tattoos are an enhancement or the ruin of female beauty is a matter of opinion; you cannot prove that they are wrong any more than they can prove that you are wrong. So, when you call the opponents of female tattoos "small minded," you are actually being small minded. . . aren't you?

Most Helpful Girl

• You're a real cutie pie... =)
    Anyone who doesn't want to be with you because of your tattoos is just stupid. But hey, there will always be stupid people out there. Good thing about this - you can avoid at least some of those people - repel them with your alternativeness! xD

• ... I'll date her

What's your number, girl? Where you from? Lemme get dem digits lol

• I'm not joking about her being a girl I'd date, but I don't talk like that so it was worthy of a lol to me

Sponsored

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 50

• First I will state that a person not being interested in you romanticly for any reason is not being small minded, just as if you don't like a guy with tattoos long hair short hair mohawk, muscles, fat etc etc etc is not small minded. It is a preference and the most open minded thing is to except that fact, they are not bad you are not bad you just don't find each other attractive. In this take your trying to make "alternative" women seem better then other women, that does not make a good take, it makes you seem catty and honestly a bit self concious, like your trying to prove your superiority not simply listing off the things that are good. Talking about your home made jewelery and decorations, thats cool, thats something that makes you stand out, same thing with your unique interests thats a good selling point you have interests that are not common and if given a chance can be quite interesting to the more common interest that women have. Saying that you are more open to new ideas and thus are more tolerant or out right enjoy things that are traditionally more aligned with male interests (comic books, video games etc.) also a good point and one worth noting. However, in your take you seem to be trying to put yourself on a pedestal of sorts when you try to sell yourself to much while criticising those who do not find your approach to things attractive (tattoos can detract from beauty as much as it can enhance) or how you are different (but the way you say it it implies better) then other women. Even pointing out that since your interest are different and thus giving you a lot more to talk about teach, different views etc is also a good trait. The problem is tone mostly its combative, for instance a woman can be very much the opposite of you and still be their own person, yet your statement implies otherwise. I'm being critical (expressing or involving an analysis of the merits and faults of a work) of your take, not you (some times criticism can be taken personally when it was not the original intent) just wanted to clarify. Something to think about for future refference (it helps prevent miscommunications and angry feedback that will ensue).(personally I think the jewelery making is awesome, maybe post some picks of it? Comics and videogames are awesome. I never liked palmistry, its bull tarots intersting but personally I have always been drawn to alchemy and the occult in general, interesting ideas.) Not a bad take for your first.

• Thanks for your honesty! I wasn't trying to put myself on a pedestal, but maybe moreso trying to make a point after years of being misjudged by some people :) but you inspire me to want to watch what I say. And the type of Palm reading I practice is scientific, it dates back to ancient times and has more to do with sensory nerve receptors leading to your hands which create the lines dye to neurotransmitters in your brain.. a lot of psychics use it as a scam. Like you can't tell someone's future, but you can pick up on personality traits and whatnot ^_^

• I'm glad I could help! The written word is much trickier for communication (since most of language is through body and tone) and as such can easily be misconstrued. Still don't believe in pamistry (sorry :D , like I said more of an alchemy kind of guy) You should post something about your jewelery making, that sounds pretty cool actually (it would be a pleasent change of pace from the usual posts (which are usually more "emotionally draining").

• I'm gonna go ahead and say 'Why don't you let men date whoever the hell they want?'

• First of all you are preaching to the converted here I find an "Alternative" woman just as attractive as a "Mainstream/Normal" woman and their label would not be considered when I pondered if I was attracted to them or not.
    You impress me with your zest for life and philosophy. I honestly wouldn't class you as "Alternative" probably because I don't go for labels like that but would consider you an interesting person which is much more important to me whether a person is interesting or not.
    Your take was very eloquent, well written and presented, very well done for a first take.
    In answer to your final few questions (1) As I say I treat everyone the same, I have no preconceived notions, over the years have been friendly with all types the one common denominator, they interested me as a person (2) It was an interesting article but as I say you were preaching to the converted.
    I have always found tattoos, piercings, make up/fashion styles are just often a form of self expression and to insinuate someone is a certain type of person because of things they have seems very lazy, it implies you are too lazy to talk to someone to make up your mind about them then and only then you can decide whether they are a nice person or not.
    Lastly would I date an "alternative" women, I suppose if you follow my logic she has as much chance as a preppy soccer mom ( Gosh I sound such a catch don't I, assuming for the sake of the question she likes me back, there that sounds less big headed)

• OH MY POTATOES YOU'RE BACK!!! *Hugs* :D

• @xXiTacoXx Thanks LoL - There is a greeting and a half

• Thank you for your reply! I absolutely loved your comment! I'm glad to see that you like to look at the bigger picture of things. And from the looks of it, it would seem you have some fans here! Lol hope to hear more of your feedback sometime :)

• My cousin & his soon to be wife are deffo " alternative " & i agree with your views on narrow mindedness , people are not always what they seem ( operational tours with the British Army taught me that well !! ) A more " conventional " guy would probably not ask out an " alternative " looking woman , as he will likely assume she will find him boring , not part of the same sub-group & not attractive to her. Gothic / punk / metal types do tend to be on the smarter side , better conversation & do not cause trouble.

• First off, "alternative" has passed the point of meaning anything. You can buy alternative at Kohl's or Macy's now. Maybe it meant something twenty years ago, but these days every girl who wants to flip the bird to her parents wears black, gets tattoos/piercings, puts on makeup like it's another face, and wears dark clothes. Hell, half of the chicks in my graduating class look like that. Today, you just look like another generic copy.

Second, most girls I've known like that - whether they were actually alternative or just the way I described above - tend to have some problems. Either they have sanitary issues/never shower, aren't all there mentally, are extremely corpulent, sleep around more than bedbugs, or some combination of those.

I don't have any issues if someone wants to dress differently from the norm - I look pretty different myself. But in most cases, it's not attractive to me, for the reasons stated above. People who try too hard to identify by labels aren't the kind I want anything to do with.

• sure, I don't mind a bit of alternative as long as you don't over do it with all the thousands of piercings in your face, shaved head and giant holes in your ear stuff.

this kind of thing can be very appealing:

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...19eb31cb04.jpg

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...83ce8ab92a.jpg

data.whicdn.com/images/147798789/superthumb.jpg

thumbs.dreamstime.com/.../...tle-beer-38124725.jpg

favim.com/.../...y-tatoo-women-Favim.com-68945.jpg

• Yes, I sure would date such a woman because of the points you have mentioned ! Especially due to the confidence thing and not caring about the judgement of others.

However, there'll be a big contrast to me who often wears outfits like this nl.calvinklein.com/.../dress-shirt---bari-k3ek300261470

So, I can relate as to why these women dress the way they do.

A valuable life lesson I've learned after turning 20 is,
    that it doesn't matter at all what other people do or what they would like to see from you - what matters is that you are happy with what you are doing and that you keep following your intrinsic nature-
    which is what women like you do !

It's kind of rare to find someone like this however, because many of these women limit their social circles by hanging out with other "alternative people"...

And, also, those women would have a great chance with me as I am nonjudgmental.

• Not I. I am more into more traditional-like feminine women, women that are "edgy" don't entice me at all.

• I have been around long enough in certain scenes to say for sure - most "alternative" women, aka those with lots of piercings/tattoos aren't necessarily easy, but they are definitely more often than not liabilities aka nutcases. Never stick your dick in crazy.

• You had me at "woman"

No but in all seriousness I wouldn't really be considered alternative by most that look at me but I had a bunch of friends like what you described growing up and they were all awesome people.

• I'm sorry, i don't mind a couple small tattoos somewhere in a womans leg/anckle or neck (the neck tattoos can be really hot actually, so are anckle ones). But covering her whole body in tattoos where i can't see her skin anymore kinda like the woman in the pic that's kinda of a turn off for me. no judging no nothing, i just don't find it attractive when a women covers her whole body with tattoos.

• I'm not sure though whether the woman is covering her whole body or not, it looks like she just has a chest tattoo and a bit on the arms

• People judge them as what they are because of their unique styles and look. Usually it is not a bad thing. Like when people judge you while you are wearing a uniform. It only becomes bad when they start treating you different or badly based on that judgement.

• Wow is that you in that picture? The "weird" girls can get love from this guy. I love y'all :)

• Wow you are so full of yourself. Sorry to say but writing an entire article about how great you are and implying all woman should be like "you", all men should date "you" putting an image of yourself to illustrate what the model woman should look like. Sorry, but I couldn't even finish this article because of ego-centric it was.

• I don't find women with excessive tattoos and/or piercings, weird hair styles and colors, and excessive make up, attractive at all. It's a huge turn off for me, even if the girl is actually attractive herself.

Also, I don't mind dark colors on girls clothing (I usually wear very somber colors myself), but I'm also not into any extravagant clothing. It just puts me off to see people wearing things that intentionally will get other's attention. Honestly, I don't think much else about them other than what I just said, but I prefer feminine and traditional look on girls. Less is more in my eyes, simply.

• Frankly, this post boils down to the standard, "I'm better than those other bitches. You should pick me" lol.

• Error 404: No alternative women found nearby ;_;

• Alternative means something different or opposite. Your just a woman with weird tastes from what I can see. Should've seen punks in the 70s and early 80s. They make you look like a Sunday school choir

• no i assume they are all sluts.

• Alternative women? Like a fleshlight?

• More from Guys
    30

What Girls Said 18

• I think I am the alternative woman personality... except I look EXACTLY like the "typical girly girl" type... Which is really opposite.
    When guys (or people in general) meet me, I am usually nice, sweet, polite. I look very well groomed, hair made, beautifully dressed (typical lady-like look that guys are attracted to). Then they get to know me and are totally surprised that I am totally not what they expected, yes I am polite and sweet... However, I am bold, independent, I curse, I play poker, I can drink, I am full of passion, empathetic, hard working and nothing like the "soft little flower that I look like"...
    Yet again, when someone REALLY gets to know me, they do see that I am a little flower. haha so it's very contradictory my personality, which is cool... because it is perhaps all these different facets of my personality that attract so many different kinds of people. I think alternative chicks are cool... I like girls who are just down to earth, but there is no need to look like a devil god in my opinion, but sometimes I wonder if that is more of a statement or just part of the "trend" of not fitting in.
    Maybe if i wasn't considered attractive or had a very nice personality, I would look the alternative part... I don't know.. But cool MyTake!
    I like :-)

• to not fit in*** (sorry, not "of not fitting in").
      I think the word I was looking for is unconventional... I am very unconventional, but I look like the most typical conventional/traditional type of girls.

• This could apply to any woman. I dont label myself according to my interests. I can like trendy girly things and still like other crap.

A person will date someone because they like them as a person rather than what they assume is where they fit on the social scale.

• You sound awesome!

• oh yea nice take.
    I see you peeps as a bit artsy, free spirits, gypsies...
    I like those type of people for all the reasons you mentioned.
    I like people who express themselves, who are always wondered by the world... so fun to be around with and definitely open you up to new stuff.
    so yea keep it up ^^

• I'm not alternative. I honestly don't know what "style" I have but you sound like me, minus the palm reading and tarot reading.

• Although I guess I might be considered "alternative " I still see this my take kinda like *hair flip* " I'm not like OTHER women."

There's no reason why a girl who is conventionally girly or "average" can't have these qualities.

• Let's like hang out and drink wine together or something because you just described all the things I like to do.

• I think you are really pretty and I also think that others fear free-spirited people. After they get to know them, they can't help but love them♡

• I don't see a problem with guys not liking alternative women since its their preference, but they do get generalized a lot. I'm not alternative but I can kinda relate since when people find out that I like Edgar Allan poe or dark art, they usually resort to calling me crazy or weird. Its still a bit annoying even if they do it in a teasing way.

• Your imprinted

• You just look like a normal person.

• *high five* Yes, punks make pretty good boyfriends and girlfriends

• I think the girl in the pic is good looking so why not? Everything sounds fine.

• same here, but not with tattoos, but with piercing... I have one in my belly... sometimes i hear not pleasant things about it, like "if u put away that metal from ur body" or "girls with belly piercing crave for attention and easy"
    I never even answer anything to that, bcoz its people with close minds.
    My boyfriend have no problem with it and he even likes it

• I really needed to read this!!
    This is exactly me and after moving states a year ago I've had trouble meeting 'alternative' women like myself, recently i've been feeling lonely and like I needed to change who I am in order to fit in and make friends.
    This helped me remember who i am and that I dont need to change for anyone so thankyou! :)

• I really like this mytake. I'm not really what people would consider alternative, but I definitely feel I fit into the weird category. My interests are all over the board and I have been told by people that I am in fact weird and it does put off some people.

I buy my home decore at Halloween and I love wearing costume pieces as regular outfits.

I know many alternative people and I truly believe that people need to be more open-minded. Alternative folks often get a bad rap in society, they are looked down upon, criticized and misunderstood. I find it quite shocking with how popular piercings and tattoos have become that there are people who still associate tattoos and piercings with criminal behaviour or feel they completely ruin a womans look.

• People (both women and men) like what they like. Period. Sure you have the minority of people with ridiculously specific specifications as to what they're attracted to, but in general a person just FEELS attraction. People may tell you what they're GENERALLY attracted to, but as humans we typically can recognize beauty PERIOD, in all its various forms. We also recognize what we PERSONALLY don't consider appealing or attractive, which is another instinct that can't be taken away.

So basically, a guy is either going to be attracted to you or not. His personality and interests are either going to mesh with yours or not. There's no need for Takes trying to convince guys otherwise. Trust me, you WILL find quite a few guys who dig your look---just don't go trying to convert the ones who don't. It's a waste of time.

• You go girl! I'm the same and love the way I am. Awesome take!