How long is a "Long Term" Relationship?

My girlfriend says that she wants a long term relationship. What is technically is counted as a long term relationship?

Also, the conversation was like this:

Me: "Can I go ahead and break it off now? XD" (Joking)

Her:" Well that's a shame, I was hoping for a long term relationship! XD"

Me: "Lol I'm kidding."

Her:" Oh good! Lol"

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah, I agree with everyone else. At least 2 years.

What Girls Said 4

• I used "long-term" a couple of times with my bf and to me it means for awhile that we stay together and that I want to grow together as well as one day settle down together

• Long term is years

• Also, would she be open to sexual things if she wants long term?

• At least 2 years

• Lol most people that I know have said at least 2 years. Is this like proper relationship etiquette or something? XD

• Well i guess so.. I haven't had any long term relationship so i can't really answer that. But i am in a relationship and it just started. So im hoping to have a long term relationship with this one :D

• A long term relationship to me is more than 5 years.

What Guys Said 2

• Personally, I'd say at least 2 or 3 years, or a lifetime relationship.

Another way of looking at it is that a long term relationship is a relationship that neither of you plan on ending, while a short term relationship is a relationship that your mutually agree isn't going to last forever before the two of you look for new partners.

• "Long term" means that you're basically looking for someone to be with for a long time, many years. Implications are someone to eventually get married and/or start a family with, but not always.

• When speaking in past tense, a relationship is generally considered to have been "long term" if it lasted two years or more.