What do you call your bf/gf's mom and dad?

Do you call them by their first names? Mr/Mrs (last name) or do you call them mom and dad?

The reason I ask is because my brother has been dating this girl for a year and maybe a little over 6 months in she started calling my mom "mama" and sometimes "mommy" and it just bugs me. I feel like that's only appropriate when they're married. I don't know. What do you guys think?

• First names only
  • I adress them by Mr. or Mrs. (last name)
  • Mom and Dad is fine
  • Other: State reasoning below

Most Helpful Guy

• It really depends on the situation. If I barely know them I would call them Mr.___ and Mrs.____ but if I have actually gotten to know them pretty well I might start calling them by their firs names. Using Mom and Dad is a unique situation and could be a result of her either trying to get closer and more integrated in the family, or she may come from a poor home environment and see your parents as a mother/father figure.

What Guys Said 6

• I call them mr. or mrs. until I'm told I can call them something else

• I call him sir (he is military and I plan on joining, he has my respect and earned the title) but some times I call him his first name (he seems to like me and doesn't seem to mind)
    I call her by her first name because she asked me too, but I use Mrs. When asking for something (it's polite)

• I would either say Sir/Miss, or Mr./Miss or Mrs. (depends on how old the woman is) + last name

• I call them Mr or Mrs (girlfriend's first name) because I'm a goof.

• LOL I kind of chuckled at that. Cute.

• I call my girls mother Mom

idk, I've always done it, even with my friends parents

• Stupid Mother fuckin' in-laws!

• LOL! Do you call them that to their face? :p

What Girls Said 8

• It has been and most likely will always be Mr./Mrs. [enter last name here].

I wish I could make the transition to first names but... I can't. My boyfriend called my parents by their Mr./Mrs. title for the first year and a half. Then it was Mr. Ed and now it's purely first name basis for them.

I can't bring myself to do it. Which is unfortunate because my boyfriend and I intend to get married one day and calling the inlaws Mr//Mrs. is kind of weird. :/

• My husband calls my mom by her name, and has never met my dad because of my complicated relationship with my father. I call my husband's mom by her name, and I don't call his dad anything. It's too awkward to call him "dad" and it would be weird to call him by his first name because his first name is the same as my husband's.

• haha I can see that be awkward at family dinners :p

• Other. I adress his mom as "Mrs (first name)"

• With my past relationships, i call them mum and dad.. Why? I respect and love them as they are like my own mum and dad..

• Does it matter how far in the relationship when you can call them mom or dad? How do you start calling them that, do you ask or do they ask you to call them that?

• When its a serious relationship, a few months in (6-7 months).. Hahah no i would just say it lol hey Mum hey dad, how is it going 🙈

• It depends on how they treat you and how long you and the person have been dating. when I was with my boyfriend the first year or so i called them by their first names but after a year i started to call them mom and dad, and other funny names when it was appropriate.

• Wellllll they tell me to call them by their first names but I still called the Mr. & Mrs. Smith:) hahah

• haha ok. Well when do u think (if ever) it's appropriate to address them mom or dad?

• Hmmmm... Good question!! I would say... The 2 year mark! Lol

• they told me to call them by their first names.. but i prefer Mr and Mrs Lee. :) but now i'm trying to get use to calling them mum and dad. :)

• Did they ask you to call them mom and dad?

• ah..
      well i have no explanation for her behaviour... if she didn't have one for her own then i would have suggested that that's the reason why..
      maybe she and your brother are serious?

• I think they are pretty serious. It's just most people I know call them by their first name or Mr./Mrs (last name). I've never heard anyone calling them mom or dad without at least being engaged. So I was just wondering what other people thot. Thanks for responding.

• I think it's inappropriate as hell to call a bf of gf mom or dad UNLESS you get your bf or his parents attention. Especially if it's only 3-6 months in the relationship and the girl calls them in laws. Girls are desperate as hell these days for marriage, LOL then come crying on here when they get dumped

• I don't think I could ever call someone elses parents mom or dad. But if someone is married into the family then I would say it's fine - if both parties are ok with it. My mom says it makes her uncomfortable when my bros gf addresses her that way but she doesn't want to hurt her feelings since she's been calling her "mama" for quite some time now.