What's your opinion of the so-called "Hookup Culture"?

A wiki definition: "A hookup culture is one that accepts and encourages casual sexual encounters, including one-night stands and other related activity, which focus on physical pleasure without necessarily including emotional bonding or long-term commitment.[1] It is generally associated with Western late adolescent behavior and, in particular, American college culture."

I'm not asking if you think the current generation embraces said culture more; just what you think of it?

• I dislike it; too much focus on sex!
  • I dislike it; other
  • I like it; I love the focus on sex!
  • I like it; other
  • I don't care (or just want to see the results =P )

Most Helpful Girl

• I disagree with you all. I have an active sexual life without committing to anyone and right now, in college, thats exactly what works best for me and my partners. We have busy lives with other obligations but we enjoy spending time together as friends and occassionally having sex. Later in life when I'm ready to settle down I will change my habits.

• Finally, an opposing opinion! =D I don't think there's anything wrong with that; it's just personally not for me. I like the freedom for anyone of any gender to choose promiscuity or not, but would prefer less in my pool of potential mates XD

Do you make it clear to potential partners exactly what you're looking for? That's what really bugs me, honestly, is girls who say they're looking for a serious relationship but then actually just want sex =/

• Good thing about Western civilization, is you can disagree and you can bed whoever you want to bed, how often you want to bed them (so long as they're consenting and of age, naturally). In the middle east and parts of africa, they would literally stone you to death for this behavior. Freedom is a great thing and life is too short to live it how others want you to. If hooking up with others who like to hook up gives you happiness, then hey-- have fun. Just be careful, alright ;)

• @FlowerLovingFiend

Exactly! That's why I decided to make the above comment the "most helpful opinion". While I personally dislike the idea of "hooking up", I am by no means saying that others cannot like it. :3

What Girls Said 12

• Too much focus on sex and instant gratification. It's taking away from the idea of actually building and maintaining a solid relationship with somebody.

• Most young people are like two legged dogs, going after anyone who will give
      them sex. Only dogs don''t get herpes, and other sexually transmitted diseases
      like the HPV virus which causes cancer. Why ruin your life or throw it away for a
      few moments of pleasure? How can you get a good partner in life if you are full
      of disease?

• @4AManofAction: I've only had one partner.

• Honestly, i can't wrap my head around this idea. I have friends who casually do this and then see the guy everyday around school. Like isn't that weird? You just had sex, and now you're just acquaintances. I just think sex is for a committed relationship with very much emotion and love, but thats just my opinion.

• I honestly don't care.

Each to their own. Personally I don't care for it but I wouldn't make someone else change.

As long as I don't get an infection I'm pretty cool with it.

• Wow, another opinionated man

Had consensual sex with 3 people. 1 was a boyfriend of 5 years, the next a one night stand, and the last the boyfriend I'm with now so far 10 months.

Yeah I'm a total slut. I'm just fucking men everywhere. @4AManofAction

• I truly dislike it. People are used for instantaneous sex and there are no feelings involved. Plus, it's disgusting.

• I don't think it takes away from romance. I think the people who are into it would be into it even if if it was not socially acceptable --which means they'd lie and hurt people to get aex.

So I'm all for it , I'm all for sexual freedom with proper safety precautions-- Im just not personally into it. I'm the proud owner of a One one penis vagina :p

• I think it's gross
    People involved in this usually don't know their partners very well. They can have the instant gratification, std risks, pregnancy risks and all that stuff. I will keep my legs closed until the right man crosses my path. It will definitely be a more fulfilling feeling then whatever they get, I'm sure. Love first, then sex.

• I think that's fucking sad.
    But you sometimes kinda need it.

• I think it is sad. I think d

• I'm not sure what it is like for guys, but I think that it really hurts girls emotionally. I know a lot of girls who have gone through a "slutty phase" and they all talk about how much they regret it and how bad it made them feel. I don't think it is good for most girl's self esteem.

• "Any" girl's self esteem

• I just went through my slutty phase and I can say it was a really great experience for me. I met some cool people, had tons of fun, made mistakes, learned from them, got hurt, learned to move on, and now I'm a stronger person. I regret nothing. It was all worth it. :)

• Kind of sad actually and not my cup of team I actually would like to have an old fashion type of relationship where sex meant something more than selfish pleasure.

• It completely depends? If that's all you're looking for and the other person feels the same then it's your life your choice? As long as both parties are on the same page and are safe I don't see why it's a problem?

• 100% disgusting. Sex like that is just using someone as a masturbation object.

• Personally I agree with your sentiment. It also makes it difficult to find meaningful relationships, as it seems many girls seems to assume all guys just immediately want sex, and offer it too soon which feels like a betrayal almost XD

However, you could use a bit less vehemence: I don't approve of shaming anyone for their promiscuity, just ask I expect not to be shamed for my lack of said promiscuity. =)

What Guys Said 15

• Hedonism. Too many guys thinking with the wrong head and too many girls thinking that love=sex when really sex is a fruition of love

• Its ruining society, demoralizing youths, break ups, divorce rates are higher coz of it!!!

• Do not want. I voted 'A'.

• Hedonism in America? Who'd have ever thought?

• To much focus on sex, instant gratification, makes it harder for those of us that want an actual relationship and so many more reasons.

• I have nothing wrong with it and encourage it, but then again each to their own just play it safely that's all and take regular blood tests.

• More like "I dislike it! - too much focus on OURSELVES!" In our society today it's all "ME, ME, ME!" Instant gratification with no work/effort put into it. If you wanna sow sin, you're gonna reap sin. If your sow righteousness, you're gonna reap righteousness. :)

• I hate it. Because of it teenagers now view sex in a casual light hence you have so many teen pregnancies. People now have casual meaningless relationships which in actuality lowers their self esteem and refrains them from settling down.

• It's not my culture. Too many daddy issues and frat boys. They can do what they want, but I dislike it because it's the "normal"/ popular ideology that takes those away from the culture I ascribe to. Conditions people to cheat and never be satisfied with what even they know to be more than satisfactory.

• i don't the see problem in it.

• missed out on it.

grew up pretty christian even though i m not a virgin. I've done bad things but sexual things i ruin myself so i kept it low

• I don't like it. Purpose of sex should be having new human beings, not having fun.

• It rots the soul and turns other human beings into commodity goods.

• Natural human behavior.

• I'm not opposed to it. I just think they are irresponsible about STDs. Most don't use condoms and don't get tested. I even know several people who have herpes and Don't tell the people they hook up with that they have it... and one doesn't even tell her partners if they directly ask if she has it. (I'm not even sure how the others that have it would respond if directly asked but 1 out of 1 I know, lies directly about it when asked. )